Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts QB Watch Party

RollerColt

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, philba101 said:

You very well could be right. Patience might end up being the best play here. But, there is also a risk the Colts could end up with none of the QB's they originally targeted. In that case, I would view that as a failure. But, maybe the Colts front office are good with that. If so, they will likely be targeting someone in the April draft. We don't know any of this for sure because we are not privy to what Ballard's original goals were when he got rid of Wentz. Time will tell we hope.

Yup, my bet is the Colts have a list of QB's ranked in order of preference, same as us fans on these pages. I think they're fine with missing out with the upper echelon of that list (so missing on Ryan or Jimmy G) if the price is prohibitive. So they'd be okay settling for Mariota or Jameis if thats what it comes to. Which is why they've had Mariota on speed dial but are not calling him up. They know they can grab him or someone on his tier if push comes to shove, BUT they'll try for better. Trying for better doesnt mean overpaying or nuking your chances at the draft.

We don't know Ballard's plan for certain and even if we did, if anyone ever came here and spilled those plans, well there'd be severe repercussions.

But we can guess at a timeline and a strong plan.

- Jim Irsay is big mad at how the season ended, we all know that. What's the part the media hasn't really emphasized? Well, Jim didnt just get mad during the last two weeks. He's a SHARP football man, he'd been watching Wentz all season, he didnt really want the guy to begin with but the season showed him the evidence plus he didnt like the guy's attitude. 

- Jim sits Chris and Frank in his office and basically says "I am tired of your Mucfking around. Get rid of that QB. Find me my serious franchise QB in the draft and pay what it takes. Andrew is gone, that excuse is done, no more sitting on the pot, either find a QB in this draft or the next. No excuses. Make it happen. Oh, and i'd prefer to stay relevant too.

- Chris draws up his list of draft QBs, free agent QBs, possible trades etc. His task is simple...find a vet QB that can allow you stay in the conversation this year but what he really has to nail is the draft, either this year or next.

Now, if you have a plan like that, do you think you care about which QB you've targeted in trades/FA? Isnt it likely that all you give a hoot about is price? The Colts got caught slipping when they bid against themselves with Carson Wentz, I dont think this GM ever lets that happen again. They've got a rock solid plan.

14 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Irsay and Ballard look so silly right now.  There is no end to this any time soon. I am getting tired of it.

They look silly? Chloe.....stop.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think this will happen fairly quickly.  Browns want to move away from the drama asap.  Maybe one of our 3rds and a conditional next year.

Watson made teams wait and he got paid much more. Maybe Cleveland will be able to get into a bidding war for Mayfield as well?

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yup, and it'd be the right thing to do. ALL these QBs save maybe Ryan are worthy of low investment and not a dime/pick more. You dont invest heavily in someone else's problem. The fact that we did this with Wentz YET some think it's how we should go about things again is frankly astounding to me

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think this will happen fairly quickly.  Browns want to move away from the drama asap.  Maybe one of our 3rds and a conditional next year.

Maybe with another team....they haven't seen the Colts offer yet if there even is one.

Just now, 1959Colts said:

Watson made teams wait and he got paid much more. Maybe Cleveland will be able to get into a bidding war for Mayfield as well?

Could be but Baker has a big following in Cleveland.  They might want to show fans they did Baker a good and sent him where he wants to go.

1 minute ago, deedub75 said:

Why do some her want Baker? If Irsay didn’t like Wentz then why would he like Baker? He’s another reclamation project with a bad attitude. In addition, he’s gonna want a new contract.

Bad attitude? Where do you get that from. I watched analysts on NFL network just yesterday say that there is not any information from players (teammates) that baker is difficult to work with or demanding…

I'd be happy with Ryan but I'm most excited about Baker. We haven't seen Baker in his prime yet. We haven't seen him hit his ceiling. With Wentz, we had an idea of what he "could" do (e.g. 2017), with Rivers we were never going to get the player he was and that's the same with Ryan. Good enough for a few good years but that's it. 

With Baker, in this coaching staff you can almost guarantee there will be an improvement in his play. We've seen that with every single QB that's come through this staff. If he matures a little bit he is every bit as talented as he needs to be in order to be a great QB for us. 

4 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

Bad attitude? Where do you get that from. I watched analysts on NFL network just yesterday say that there is not any information from players (teammates) that baker is difficult to work with or demanding…

The Browns. His own team says they want an adult at QB. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/03/16/baker-mayfield-browns-breakup-trade-rumors-seahawks-colts-deshaun-watson

https://nypost.com/2022/03/16/browns-was-adult-at-qb-as-baker-mayfield-divorce-continues/

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/16/report-browns-baker-mayfield-are-breaking-up-because-browns-want-an-adult-at-quarterback/

I don't dislike Baker like many people do.  I'm just tired of dumping assets for other teams' discarded players.  Go get Jameis or Mariota, draft someone this year or keep collecting assets for next year, and let's get this this ship righted.  Trading more picks and then having to do a new contract for Baker is just a longer stay in QB purgatory, to me.

Archived