Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do at QB? (Hypothetical)

Nesjan3

What would you do at QB? (Hypothetical)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. I know a lot of people don't believe a trade for Wilson or Rogers is an option, but I believe there might be. Also watching the quarterbacks in the AFC during the playoffs we are not close in terms of QB play. So just for fun lets pretend were in the running for both. What would you do?

• Trade Wentz and multiple future firsts plus other picks and maybe another player for Rogers
    • Trade Wentz and multiple future firsts plus other picks and maybe another player for Wilson
    • Roll with Wentz

I know a lot of people don't believe a trade for Wilson or Rogers is an option, but I believe there might be. Also watching the quarterbacks in the AFC during the playoffs we are not close in terms of QB play. So just for fun lets pretend were in the running for both. What would you do?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I’m trading all that draft capital I’m going for Russell Wilson since he is younger than Rodgers is.  

I like Rodgers but I see him as a great regular season QB who too often comes up short in the post season. We have been on that ride before.  

Realistically, I see Ballard rolling with Wentz again. Maybe adding some more weapons around him and hoping he improves with another year in the system and hopefully a full training camp and preseason to get better. I think Ballard will give Wentz one more chance and evaluate options next year.  He may also draft another unheralded rookie QB in the mid to late rounds to add to the mix as well. 

My opinion is the best plan for the longterm success for Indy would be to roll with Wentz one more year to see if he can improve his deficiencies, and adding some better weapons at WR and TE for him. And if he doesn’t improve in 2022, then you have all your draft capital to make a move up in the draft to get your franchise QB in a pretty good class for QBs in 2023. I just don’t want to mortgage the future for a declining Wilson or an aging Rodgers. I’d rather get our young talented signal caller and put him in the best situation for success. Then you have your guy for the next 15 years if you do you job, scout the right QB, and have the pieces around him. 

Neither Rodgers or Wilson are coming to Indy. 

We're just not that attractive (for various and different reasons) for either guy.

Small town is not going to do it for Wilson/Ciara. 3rd worst pass pro, lack of weapons, and mediocre D.... that doesn't scream "Win a Ring" quickly, and we have too many holes to fix everything quickly.....

The FA and Draft class for QB sucks bad this year.... so I'll fix LT, get some weapons, and ride with Wentz one more year given the options. 

20 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

My opinion is the best plan for the longterm success for Indy would be to roll with Wentz one more year to see if he can improve his deficiencies, and adding some better weapons at WR and TE for him. And if he doesn’t improve in 2022, then you have all your draft capital to make a move up in the draft to get your franchise QB in a pretty good class for QBs in 2023. I just don’t want to mortgage the future for a declining Wilson or an aging Rodgers. I’d rather get our young talented signal caller and put him in the best situation for success. Then you have your guy for the next 15 years if you do you job, scout the right QB, and have the pieces around him. 

Bingo you get it.

Roll with Wentz / Sam

-Better pass protection for him

-Better receiving core for him 

-Make TY or Hines at slot (I know people think TY is done I think he still got it at slot better hands)

-RTDB (Better play calling),

After that lets evaluate, I am sure after all the comments passed at Wentz he probably enough firepower to prove that he was indeed worth of 2nd overall pick. 

By the way how many of u guys thought that Jimmy G INT was same as the one Wentz had couple of time in the season. Send Wentz to Marcus Brady to teach how to throw away the ball or take a sack. 

Where is the sign the veteran QB who isn’t going to excite anyone to compete with Wentz option because that’s what I think they are going to do.  Neither Wilson or Rodgers are being linked to the Colts outside of this forum.  I don’t think either is going to happen and it’s just fans here wish lists which I understand.

If Wilson wants out of Seattle I’m making a run at him. Ciara may want to go to NY but what’s exactly appealing about the Jets or Giants?  The Giants are in a bad place with the cap. 

The Colts have JT, Pittman, a solid oline and I feel pretty confident LT will be addressed and some playmakers can be added.  The defense has a solid core that needs a pass rusher.  It’s worth an attempt. Watching Stafford go to the Super Bowl has to fire up Irsay even more. 

I voted roll with Wentz.

I hope we don’t spend anymore money or draftpicks on maybes this off season. Let Wentz play, sink or swim. Save our picks for next year and hopefully land a young QB in the much better 2023 draft or find an answer in FA. 

There are a lot of other issues that need fixing this off season and another bandaid QB won’t make it any better. 

4 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I voted roll with Wentz.

I hope we don’t spend anymore money or draftpicks on maybes this off season. Let Wentz play, sink or swim. Save our picks for next year and hopefully land a young QB in the much better 2023 draft or find an answer in FA. 

There are a lot of other issues that need fixing this off season and another bandaid QB won’t make it any better. 

I can agree with this but the problem for Ballard and Reich is if things don’t work this year they might not get a shot at 2023.  

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I can agree with this but the problem for Ballard and Reich is if things don’t work this year they might not get a shot at 2023.  

Maybe. Personally I don’t think they (or at least Ballard) is on the hot seat yet, but if they don’t deliver more than another mediocre season with no playoff appearence they will be on the hot seat the following season. 

Just now, Solid84 said:

Maybe. Personally I don’t think they (or at least Ballard) is on the hot seat yet, but if they don’t deliver more than another mediocre season with no playoff appearence they will be on the hot seat the following season. 

I think it’s pretty clear from Irsay that he put them on notice and he is very angry with how the season ended and isn’t going to put up with that again.  That’s the problem here.  No first round draft pick,  a weak QB class go start with, lack of decent vet options, and Wentz’s contract all makes waiting a year make sense on a paper.  The problem is that I am not sure the Owner is willing to wait a year for his team to get better at the QB spot and if they don’t the GM and coach are going to have to answer for it.  That’s why it’s going to very interesting to see what happens.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think it’s pretty clear from Irsay that he put them on notice and he is very angry with how the season ended and isn’t going to put up with that again.  That’s the problem here.  No first round draft pick,  a weak QB class go start with, lack of decent vet options, and Wentz’s contract all makes waiting a year make sense on a paper.  The problem is that I am not sure the Owner is willing to wait a year for his team to get better at the QB spot and if they don’t the GM and coach are going to have to answer for it.  That’s why it’s going to very interesting to see what happens.  

I definitely agree he made it clear the 2021 season wasn’t good enough. But given our situation with Wentz’ cap-hit if we let him go and our lack of a first rounder this draft I don’t think he can realistically expect a whole lot.

I mean other than Ballard selling all our future draft picks what do we have?

No one’s going to give up a first let alone multiple firsts for a guard - even if Nelson is the best lineman in the league. JT? He’s our best player on offense. We’re not getting a first for Pittman. I just don’t see a whole lot happening this off season, especially with us having to sign Nelson to a ridiculously big contract. 

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I definitely agree he made it clear the 2021 season wasn’t good enough. But given our situation with Wentz’ cap-hit if we let him go and our lack of a first rounder this draft I don’t think he can realistically expect a whole lot.

I mean other than Ballard selling all our future draft picks what do we have?

No one’s going to give up a first let alone multiple firsts for a guard - even if Nelson is the best lineman in the league. JT? He’s our best player on offense. We’re not getting a first for Pittman. I just don’t see a whole lot happening this off season, especially with us having to sign Nelson to a ridiculously big contract. 

I don’t know.  I fully agree everything singles waiting a year to look at the QB spot but if the owner isn’t willing to wait that long and the GM and coach know it might force them to do something.  That’s why I think it will be interesting to watch.  None of us really know where Irsay’s head is at in terms of what he’s willing to accept next year.

Roll with Wentz but I’d be drafting a QB this year or next. The only answer to the 
Colts QB issues is to draft one. Not that he’d come here, but I don’t want Rodgers for two years. You’ll just have to draft a QB once he’s gone anyways. Same with Wilson. He’s way younger but not everyone is playing until their 40’s like Brady.

As others have said, you roll with Wentz.

If the Colts had the rosters that the Bucs and Rams had when they went all-in, then maybe you sell your should for a Rodgers or Russell (assuming you get their attention, and their teams are willing to talk). The Colts don't have that roster defensively or offensively.

The play has to be 2 fold, first stacking up offensive weapons and defenders who impact the passing game. Then drafting QBs this year and the next....you roll the dice on the off chance that some no-name underrated QB can come in and blossom.

I do not see us giving away anymore draft picks for a band aid fix at QB, regardless how talented they used to be. In my opinion there are 2 major problems with our Offense. FR's play calling (boring and very predictable) and evidently FR not being able to develop young QB talent. I think the team quit on FR last season! 

I am not sure about Wentz, is his horrible performance because of the play calling, or is FR play calling horrible because of Wentz lack of talent,

Until these problems are addressed we are 8-9 win team, 

I believe we have better players/talent than our record would lead you to believe, but our coaching staff is not putting them in a position to Excell. 

I have been a diehard Colt's fan for over 45yrs and I always will be, Hopeful we continue to improve and anxiously waiting to see what this off season brings

I voted to roll with Wentz.  And probably have him play out his contract.  Build the team around him.

Wentz has his flaws but he outplayed Jimmy G head to head,  and Jimmy G did not elevate his game during the playoffs.  I think he held SF back at times.  

Wentz > Jimmy G.  If SF had Wentz, they probably would have beaten LAR, IMO.

With the QB situation in the AFC, the Colts need to build up the defense.....after getting a playmaker at WR.

46 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Roll with Wentz, he looked every bit as good as Mahomes did in the 4th quarter yesterday. The big difference is I believe Mahomes gets paid over 40 million a year. That's way too much to stink it up in a conference championship game.

Yep.  Mahomes has come down to earth this year.  He makes his wow plays, but also makes some bad decisions and inaccurate throws.  All season long.

Take away Mahomes ability to play sandlot football with Tyreek Hill, and he is merely an above average QB.  He's elite at making WOW plays that nobody else can, but KC lives on those plays.

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

The 2023 QB class looks like its over hyped.  A bunch of short guys like SE, but more physically gifted.  The class doesn't scream franchise QB to me.  Its at best a Baker Mayfield Kyler Murray class, IMO.

If I was planning on switching QBs at some point, I would trade up to take Carson Strong this year or draft Desmond Ridder, let Wentz take the pounding next year, and have the full array of 2023 draft picks to help the new QB. 

The position we’re in, you’ve got to roll with Wentz again. That’s what happens when you trade high picks and it doesn’t work out. I’d really look into trading Kelly this offseason. Bengals could be interested and I’d take that late 2nd. Use both 2nd rounders for a combo of wr’s or te’s. Unless you see a QB you really like then trade both 2nd’s to move up and take him. I’d also be Leary of spending massive amount of cap this offseason due to unstable QB position. What is another subpar middle of the pack season going to do for us? I’ll catch some heat for saying this but maybe a down season and a top 10 pick in 2023 would be the best scenario for us. 

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

If I'm Irsay I tell them we are not going to blow things up to go get a QB today.  They chose Wentz, give him one more year.  Spending lots of draft capital and maybe some players to get Wilson just to try and protect Ballard and Reich is the wrong reason to make a decision like this.  

11 minutes ago, gspdx said:

If I'm Irsay I tell them we are not going to blow things up to go get a QB today.  They chose Wentz, give him one more year.  Spending lots of draft capital and maybe some players to get Wilson just to try and protect Ballard and Reich is the wrong reason to make a decision like this.  

Yep. Irsay could say keep Wentz but we have to get a plan together to draft a QB.

59 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sam isn't any less of a QB than many of the college QBs coming out in the next couple of drafts.  Spencer Rattler?  LOL.  That short skinny Heisman Trophy winner?  LOL.

TODAY, considering all of our needs, i don't see us being more than a middling 9-8 team next year. How fun is that? Sams game is a lot like Garrapolo's. A very modest arm, has to be good making quick decisions, and throwing good in the short to mid game.
 So we win 5-7 games maybe. Everyone has another year playing together...
 And i like that draft position. 
 Yes we had hoped we were going to see a nice jump from our very young players. I don't see it at safety, we need a corner, i finally admit we need a high quality pass rusher, a LT, a quick WR, a TE that can block some and run the seem...
FAgency will be critical. We need a couple studs.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yep.  Mahomes has come down to earth this year.  He makes his wow plays, but also makes some bad decisions and inaccurate throws.  All season long.

Take away Mahomes ability to play sandlot football with Tyreek Hill, and he is merely an above average QB.  He's elite at making WOW plays that nobody else can, but KC lives on those plays.

The Bengals really started mixing things up in the 2nd half. Goes to show that Patrick is still struggling to read defenses. That sack in the final moments of the 4th was very bad. 

After listing to Ballard, Reich, and Irsay I highly doubt Wentz will be on the team next year. That being said I don't think we will do a blockbuster trade for Wilson or Rogers either. I'm hoping Arians would like to trade for Wentz..... But I have no idea who the Colts would go after to replace him.

15 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

After listing to Ballard, Reich, and Irsay I highly doubt Wentz will be on the team next year. That being said I don't think we will do a blockbuster trade for Wilson or Rogers either. I'm hoping Arians would like to trade for Wentz..... But I have no idea who the Colts would go after to replace him.

Your hearing wrong. Telephone game. Someone wrote a story Arians liked him back when he was younger. Not that Arians would like to have him. Colts are not getting rid of him without a clear upgrade. Ballard and Reich would be gone after 22 if that happened.

41 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Bengals really started mixing things up in the 2nd half. Goes to show that Patrick is still struggling to read defenses. That sack in the final moments of the 4th was very bad. 

Who was it Aikman announcing?  Said something that I've been saying for a while.   "When Mahomes is running around a lot back there, its usually because the secondary has managed to stay with Tyreek Hill."

IOW, remove the ability to play sandlot QB, and we see what we get.

And KC fans are now complaining about the oline again.  LOL.  Blinders..

Depends on what you want to pursue - short term win-now strategy or long-term consistent deep playoff runs. IMO consistent long-term success is almost impossible without a franchise QB and you get those almost exclusively in the draft. Rodgers and Wilson are that type of talents but they are old and won't fit the long-term part of it - in a few years you will be in the same situation again - in need of a franchsie QB. 

If you want to go all in now, you have to trade for one of Rodgers or Wilson. I prefer Rodgers purely football wise. 

If you want the long-term plan, it doesn't matter much what you do with Wentz in the short term... maybe the best option is to either trade him if you can get something for him, or keep him as a bridge QB. Go watch the QBs in the draft, if you fall in love with one, go get your guy. If not - keep the powder dry for next year when the QB class is supposedly better. 

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Depends on what you want to pursue - short term win-now strategy or long-term consistent deep playoff runs. IMO consistent long-term success is almost impossible without a franchise QB and you get those almost exclusively in the draft. Rodgers and Wilson are that type of talents but they are old and won't fit the long-term part of it - in a few years you will be in the same situation again - in need of a franchsie QB. 

If you want to go all in now, you have to trade for one of Rodgers or Wilson. I prefer Rodgers purely football wise. 

If you want the long-term plan, it doesn't matter much what you do with Wentz in the short term... maybe the best option is to either trade him if you can get something for him, or keep him as a bridge QB. Go watch the QBs in the draft, if you fall in love with one, go get your guy. If not - keep the powder dry for next year when the QB class is supposedly better. 

We tried with Wentz. Does no good going after another short term option. We are better off fixing holes and sticking with Wentz until a option in draft comes along. Rodgers and Wilson both hurt getting the long term solution because of draft picks having to be given up.

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Who was it Aikman announcing?  Said something that I've been saying for a while.   "When Mahomes is running around a lot back there, its usually because the secondary has managed to stay with Tyreek Hill."

IOW, remove the ability to play sandlot QB, and we see what we get.

And KC fans are now complaining about the oline again.  LOL.  Blinders..

Mahomes has a problem reading defenses if you take the sandlot stuff away.

Chris Ballard was on a chicago radio station to talk about Eberflus. Was asked about why Chicago has struggled. Some good thoughts on QB philosophy. A little insight maybe on what they are thinking.

https://www.audacy.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-bears/colts-chris-ballard-high-praise-bears-hiring-matt-eberflus-disciplined

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Maybe Ballard gets it... at least for the QB spot. Now the question is - does he have long enough leash to do what has to be done? 

Lmao. That locked on colts guy is terrible. I am listening to it now. He mentioned Chicago struggling because maybe it’s because GB has had consistancy with Rodgers. Evan is trying to connect dots that means he wants Rodgers.

Your are right him and Reich need to have long leashes and be able to stay until that long term solution is found because changing GM and coaches doesn’t fix it.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Lmao. That locked on colts guy is terrible. I am listening to it now. He mentioned Chicago struggling because maybe it’s because GB has had consistancy with Rodgers. Evan is trying to connect dots that means he wants Rodgers.

Him wanting Rodgers is NOT the takeaway here .... it's him realizing he needs elite franchise QB for consistent success and possibly trying to find his... rather than bandaids... be it mediocre ones like Wentz or elite ones like Rodgers. 

Archived