Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do at QB? (Hypothetical)

Nesjan3

What would you do at QB? (Hypothetical)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. I know a lot of people don't believe a trade for Wilson or Rogers is an option, but I believe there might be. Also watching the quarterbacks in the AFC during the playoffs we are not close in terms of QB play. So just for fun lets pretend were in the running for both. What would you do?

• Trade Wentz and multiple future firsts plus other picks and maybe another player for Rogers
    • Trade Wentz and multiple future firsts plus other picks and maybe another player for Wilson
    • Roll with Wentz

22 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

I know a lot of people don't believe a trade for Wilson or Rogers is an option, but I believe there might be. Also watching the quarterbacks in the AFC during the playoffs we are not close in terms of QB play. So just for fun lets pretend were in the running for both. What would you do?

I would rather Wilson , Rodgers may be better but he has 1 foot in retirement already 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they go the way of the draft they will have to mortgage the future to move up to number 2 as the Jags are set at QB. Future number ones and a player package including Wentz will be needed! 

But, are there any QB's in this draft that are worthy of the number 2 pick and are they better than what we have? I see a lot of developmental types that if you pick correctly you could hit the lottery......that's it.

I am starting to think we should just roll with Wentz. Build the team around him. Get better pass pro and a good TE and WR and see what he can do with a full offseason and training camp. Frank really needs to teach him not to play hero ball when it is not needed takenwhat the defense gives you.

Just now, Scott Pennock said:

If they go the way of the draft they will have to mortgage the future to move up to number 2 as the Jags are set at QB. Future number ones and a player package including Wentz will be needed! 

But, are there any QB's in this draft that are worthy of the number 2 pick and are they better than what we have? I see a lot of developmental types that if you pick correctly you could hit the lottery......that's it.

They have no first to move up that far. Some of these QB won’t go until later in first. If they take one it will be someone that dropped they can get with the second round pick or a move up to late first round early second.

16 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They have no first to move up that far. Some of these QB won’t go until later in first. If they take one it will be someone that dropped they can get with the second round pick or a move up to late first round early second.

Reading is fundamental my man.......I said future number one's, I know we already gave up this years for Wentz! 

18 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Getting past the reading part - your scenario is perfectly legit too! The kid from Western Michigan or the Kid from Cincy would fall into that category in the second round!

4 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Reading is fundamental my man.......I said future number one's, I know we already gave up this years for Wentz! 

I know what you said. We aren’t going to be able to get up that far without a first this year. Future picks won’t get it done because teams  won’t  give up their first this year for future picks. They are still going to want that first. So there is nothing to swap. Like you said there aren’t any worth that pick anyway. 

I voted roll with Wentz.  That said the only QB that I could possibly see coming here in a trade is Carr.  I know all the reports say McDaniels loves Carr.  If so it won’t happen.  Would McDaniels make a move for Rodgers or Wilson?   I don’t know.  Ariens needs a QB and has had an affinity for Wentz in the past.  Would he be interested in Wentz?  Maybe.  Once all these coaching moves take place the only potential QB change I could foresee us doing is a trade for Carr.  Rodgers and Wilson don’t seem feasible to me.  One of those two would have to find there way to Las Vegas.  Still I think we roll with Wentz and sign a veteran backup.  But I would love to find a way to get Carr.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

https://fox59.com/sports/colts/chris-ballard-changes-to-indianapolis-colts-defensive-staff-win-win/

these last quotes from Ballard is why I am not 100% sold on them just sticking with Wentz for this year even though it looks like the only real option on paper.

What quotes are you referring too? I listened to the entire interview. There really wasn’t anything in there except Ballard talking about  how important it is to find a long term answer. He was asked why bears have been struggling. That’s when he talked about QB stability. To me what he said tells me they are now going to start looking at options  serious in the draft. Which tells me even if we drafted one this year Wentz is probably here one more year.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I voted roll with Wentz.  That said the only QB that I could possibly see coming here in a trade is Carr.  I know all the reports say McDaniels loves Carr.  If so it won’t happen.  Would McDaniels make a move for Rodgers or Wilson?   I don’t know.  Ariens needs a QB and has had an affinity for Wentz in the past.  Would he be interested in Wentz?  Maybe.  Once all these coaching moves take place the only potential QB change I could foresee us doing is a trade for Carr.  Rodgers and Wilson don’t seem feasible to me.  One of those two would have to find there way to Las Vegas.  Still I think we roll with Wentz and sign a veteran backup.  But I would love to find a way to get Carr.

If Wentz went to Tampa the colts would look stupid because with all those weapons he would play great.

Assuming Carson doesn't magically improve next year, the only chance for us is that we are a 7-9 win team next next year, we pull a chiefs and trade all the way up from the 16-18 range to the top 5 and go get a franchise QB like Bryce Young or Stroud and pray he isn't a bust.

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Ariens would look like a genius.  A real quarterback whisperer.  Lol

That right there would get Ballard and Reich fired. I am not worried he is going anywhere. I think they will roll with him until they can find someone in the draft. I think they are done with other fixes. Once Rodgers, Wilson, Carr are off the market they  will work on fixing holes. Get more weapons ect. If a QB happens this draft or next we will see.  Plus what they have to give up for Rodgers would hamper them finding a successor in the draft to sit behind him.

4 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Assuming Carson doesn't magically improve next year, the only chance for us is that we are a 7-9 win team next next year, we pull a chiefs and trade all the way up from the 16-18 range to the top 5 and go get a franchise QB like Bryce Young or Stroud and pray he isn't a bust.

We don’t have to be 7-9. We would of had the 16th pick this year which is higher then chiefs wee. Let’s be real too. We probably win a couple more games at beginning of season had Wentz had a actual camp and oline guys weren’t hurt all camp.  We have to stop being scared a QB in the draft will be a bust and trust evaluations.

1 minute ago, bestQBever said:

I don’t want to finish 7-9.  This team is a playoff team. I don’t see Wentz regressing.

11 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

What quotes are you referring too? I listened to the entire interview. There really wasn’t anything in there except Ballard talking about  how important it is to find a long term answer. He was asked why bears have been struggling. That’s when he talked about QB stability. To me what he said tells me they are now going to start looking at options  serious in the draft. Which tells me even if we drafted one this year Wentz is probably here one more year.

Those are the ones.  If he’s talking about needing to find it it means he doesn’t think they have it.  I agree that everything on paper says waiting until next year is the best option but what we don’t know is what Irsay has told them.  If Irsay isn’t willing to wait until next year that might force Ballard to do something this year.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Those are the ones.  If he’s talking about needing to find it it means he doesn’t think they have it.  I agree that everything on paper says waiting until next year is the best option but what we don’t know is what Irsay has told them.  If Irsay isn’t willing to wait until next year that might force Ballard to do something this year.

Well he wasn’t talking about the colts. The question was about the Bears. He was asked why bears don’t have stability.  It was bears radio. 

18 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I thought I knew the answer but I guess I don't.   How many future 1st rounders can a team trade?  Not that I am saying we should.   I thought it was a 2 or three yr max, but my googler must be off. I can't find it 

Well the rams don't have one until 2024......lol

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don’t want to finish 7-9.  This team is a playoff team. I don’t see Wentz regressing.

That's why I want this poll made public.   Go back and see all the nay sayers or the pro Wentz guys and prove that there is some major over reactions and misread/misunderstood comments by the FO

I still believe Wentz is going to end up being a steal for a 1 and a 3.  

I will take my lumps if I am wrong   

1 minute ago, ChuggaBeer said:

That's why I want this poll made public.   Go back and see all the nay sayers or the pro Wentz guys and prove that there is some major over reactions and misread/misunderstood comments by the FO

I still believe Wentz is going to end up being a steal for a 1 and a 3.  

I will take my lumps if I am wrong   

I like your optimism. So much crap happened in camp then with covid to end the year. Now Reich can have a good game plan knowing what he has to work on. Second season with upgraded weapons will be better.

10 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Well he wasn’t talking about the colts. The question was about the Bears. He was asked why bears don’t have stability.  It was bears radio. 

It’s almost verbatim what he said at his end of the year press conference about Wentz so he might have said it about the Bears but he’s also said almost the samething about his QB.  That’s why I am not ruling out a change because it’s pretty clear the Colts aren’t sold on Wentz.  So I still expect them to look.  They might not find anything but I don’t think it will be from a lack of looking.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

It’s almost verbatim what he said at his end of the year press conference about Wentz so he might have said it about the Bears but he’s also said almost the samething about his QB.  That’s why I am not ruling out a change because it’s pretty clear the Colts aren’t sold on Wentz.  So I still expect them to look.  They might not find anything but I don’t think it will be from a lack of looking.

Well what he said is true. I don’t think it means anything except teams need long term answers at QB to have stability.  

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Everyone cracks on Rams but I just saw a tweet they had the most home grown drafted players of any team in the playoffs. They just use their ones on proven talent instead of taking a risk. I kind of like that.

I doubt that tweet is correct. And even if it is who are their key players? Stafford, Miller, Ramsey, Weddle, OBJ, Floyd, Michel, Robinson, and Whitworth.

All folks they traded away picks for or signed big contracts in free agency. 

Yes, it has proven to get them to the SB, but it is not sustainable and since they have traded away a lot of future picks they will likely fall on their faces sooner rather than later.

There are more ways to skin a cat. 

25 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Everyone cracks on Rams but I just saw a tweet they had the most home grown drafted players of any team in the playoffs. They just use their ones on proven talent instead of taking a risk. I kind of like that.

Because the back half of their roster has to be made up of mid to late round picks because of how much they have put into getting stars.  If you look at the core of their roster they are anything but home grown once you get past a guy like Donald or Kupp.  When people talk about being built through the draft people are talking about the core group of guys on your roster not the whole thing.  

39 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I doubt that tweet is correct. And even if it is who are their key players? Stafford, Miller, Ramsey, Weddle, OBJ, Floyd, Michel, Robinson, and Whitworth.

All folks they traded away picks for or signed big contracts in free agency. 

Yes, it has proven to get them to the SB, but it is not sustainable and since they have traded away a lot of future picks they will likely fall on their faces sooner rather than later.

There are more ways to skin a cat. 

That was my point. They use round 2-7 to build the foundation pieces. But instead of using their firsts on risks in the first they trade those firsts for proven players. Yes I think it’s sustainable.  Donald is one they drafted. 

Dan Marino, Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hassleback, Tony Romo, Boomer Esiason and Warren Moon never won a SB.  All hands down fantastic franchise QBs.  

Brees, Rodgers, Farve, Young, Warner, Namath and Unitas are HOF QBs and each won one. 

A lot of people here are discounting how hard it is to win a SB let alone get to one. I want a QB that can consistently win us division titles. Get a home in the playoffs and let’s see if we can put some wins together. Living in La La land pounding your fist for a QB that will take us to the SB multiple times is nothing short of delusions of grandeur. 

Roll with Wentz bc he is a good QB. Maybe we do need to upgrade.  Put weapons around him and build this team.  Maybe we go on a run...maybe he  boost his stock and we can recoup our draft picks and use them to move up in the draft or maybe he stinks next year and we move on.  All I know is we aren’t a QB away from the SB so arguing over one isnt making sense

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

There isn't a QB coming out worth looking at?

I think the context that I'm reading is that we should dump Wentz next draft and trade up for the next franchise QB.  Like Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. 

While this year is very poor, I think next year's class looks more like a Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Trey Lance type of class.

There are some tall pocket passers under the radar so far.  But calling them the next franchise QB so talented that it lets us dump Wentz and go with the rookie in 2023 is not evident. JMO.

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

The only option I'm interested in is dealing with Wentz for one more year and going all out for a guy like Bryce Young in the 23 draft. Personally would like to see the Colts drafting in the top 10 next year. I don't see them winning SBs with anyone outside of the draft. 

He's 5'11" 195.

The Colts will do what they can to upgrade QB this year if it’s possible.  Wentz is fool’s gold. The coaches know what they have in Wentz. To think he’s going to suddenly improve on decision making is unrealistic.  Frank is an aggressive play caller but he has to manage that against who he has as his QB. How can an aggressive play caller coincide with a QB who’s mistakes have to be managed by the HC. It’s tough when the same QB won’t take the layups and can’t process defenses quick enough.  

Now, they may fail at fining a better option and try to * proof the team with upgrades around Wentz. Odds are this happens because there are so few upgrades available but I feel pretty certain they don’t want this option. 

On 1/30/2022 at 11:22 PM, coltsfan_canada said:

Roll with Wentz / Sam

-Better pass protection for him

-Better receiving core for him 

-Make TY or Hines at slot (I know people think TY is done I think he still got it at slot better hands)

-RTDB (Better play calling),

After that lets evaluate, I am sure after all the comments passed at Wentz he probably enough firepower to prove that he was indeed worth of 2nd overall pick. 

By the way how many of u guys thought that Jimmy G INT was same as the one Wentz had couple of time in the season. Send Wentz to Marcus Brady to teach how to throw away the ball or take a sack. 

I think you're off about TY. He had a very serious neck injury this past season. If he were to come back it would be flat out foolish on his part. Wind up in a wheelchair the rest of your days. For what. We have to go younger.

Archived