Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you do at QB? (Hypothetical)

Nesjan3

What would you do at QB? (Hypothetical)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. I know a lot of people don't believe a trade for Wilson or Rogers is an option, but I believe there might be. Also watching the quarterbacks in the AFC during the playoffs we are not close in terms of QB play. So just for fun lets pretend were in the running for both. What would you do?

• Trade Wentz and multiple future firsts plus other picks and maybe another player for Rogers
    • Trade Wentz and multiple future firsts plus other picks and maybe another player for Wilson
    • Roll with Wentz

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Maybe Ballard gets it... at least for the QB spot. Now the question is - does he have long enough leash to do what has to be done? 

Maybe?    Maybe?    He said in his year-ender is a QB driven league.    

Does he have a long enough leash?!?   He’s got FIVE more years on his contract.   How long does his leash have to be?  

I don’t know what you’re looking for?  

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stitches said:

Him wanting Rodgers is NOT the takeaway here .... it's him realizing he needs elite franchise QB for consistent success and possibly trying to find his... rather than bandaids... be it mediocre ones like Wentz or elite ones like Rodgers. 

Yes that’s what I got out of it. But believe  me Evan is trying to make that leap. He does it all the time. That’s why he put the Googly eyes there.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe?    Maybe?    He said in his year-ender is a QB driven league.    

Does he have a long enough leash?!?   He’s got FIVE more years on his contract.   How long does his leash have to be?  

I don’t know what you’re looking for?  

How many more years like this or worse do you think he survives out of his remaining 5 years contract? Grigson had pretty long contract remaining too... 

My point is - the best option for long-term success is so obviously going for a young QB in the draft... be it this year or next... so this is why my quesiton - does he actually have the leash to do it? Will he survive another 9-8 or 8-9 season with Wentz as a bridge? Or does he have a directive from Irsay - give me a great QB at any price NOW? I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

How many more years like this or worse do you think he survives out of his remaining 5 years contract? Grigson had pretty long contract remaining too... 

My point is - the best option for long-term success is so obviously going for a young QB in the draft... be it this year or next... so this is why my quesiton - does he actually have the leash to do it? Will he survive another 9-8 or 8-9 season with Wentz as a bridge? Or does he have a directive from Irsay - give me a great QB at any price NOW? I don't know. 

I think if Irsay feels they have a plan to draft a QB Ballard and Reich will be given a long enough leash. 

Honestly, I don't want to lose Ballard or Reich, they have taken this team in the right direction.  He has hit a lot in the draft and even free agency.  It's just not easy getting an elite QB, unless you tank in the draft.  There isn't much of anything out there this year, probably another later round QB taken just because.  Rogers is too old and chokes, Wilson can't stay healthy and is on the decline.  No thanks, rather just build with what we got, see if Wentz can figure it out and if not, give Sam a chance.  

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Your hearing wrong. Telephone game. Someone wrote a story Arians liked him back when he was younger. Not that Arians would like to have him. Colts are not getting rid of him without a clear upgrade. Ballard and Reich would be gone after 22 if that happened.

After all three of them being so non committal to Wentz you really think we'll keep him? I'd wager we won't.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

You write things like “so obviously…..”.  And I think that’s false.   I don’t think anything is obvious.   For all the young hot shot quarterbacks everyone loves there are two to three times more failed young quarterbacks.   And some of the teams that took those hot young quarterback paid far more for that bust than Ballard did for Wentz.  

Fans screaming for Ballard to make a big trade for a rookie quarterback will scream for him to be fired if he does what they want and the quarterback isn’t good enough.    Fans always want it both ways no matter what. 

I think Ballard is realizing that its getting hot in the kitchen, 5 years no division title, 1 playoff win, no franchise QB. Can only drag the Luck retiring excuse out so much. Teams like the Bengals have leapfrogged us. He is going to be more aggressive count on it.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Possible... but still not sure about that. Maybe Irsay just wants a flashy star QB right now. 

He can want all he wants. But he knows that they can’t  just go pick one off a tree. Personally I don’t think they have really had a plan since Luck retired. They have just kind of been winging it. I think Irsay understands the importance of finding one in the draft. I mean he has had two that have been great. Just give Irsay a plan and he will be fine. Now saying that if they crashed and only won 5 games in 22 that might get them fired unless it’s a rookie QB.

14 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Honestly, I don't want to lose Ballard or Reich, they have taken this team in the right direction.  He has hit a lot in the draft and even free agency.  It's just not easy getting an elite QB, unless you tank in the draft.  There isn't much of anything out there this year, probably another later round QB taken just because.  Rogers is too old and chokes, Wilson can't stay healthy and is on the decline.  No thanks, rather just build with what we got, see if Wentz can figure it out and if not, give Sam a chance.  

Getting rid of them won’t change our QB situation. That is a sad fact. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You write things like “so obviously…..”.  And I think that’s false.   I don’t think anything is obvious.   For all the young hot shot quarterbacks everyone loves there are two to three times more failed young quarterbacks.   And some of the teams that took those hot young quarterback paid far more for that bust than Ballard did for Wentz.  

Long-term consistent success is achieved in this league almost exclusively thanks to a franchise QB. This is a FACT. 

The best way to get a franchise QB is through the draft. This is a FACT. Franchise QBs do NOT hit FA or trade market with any consistency whatsoever. You can find one or two over 20 year period like Brees. But OVERWHELMINGLY the franchise QBs in the league are ones drafted by the team. Especially the ones that actually can be counted as LONG TERM. For example, trading for 38 year old Rodgers is not a long term solution even though he is a franchise QB. 

And none of this disputes the fact that finding that QB in the draft is actually hard. It's not easy. It's risky. You might miss once... or two times... or more before you get your guy. But the alternative is worse IMO. I'd rather us keep trying than settle for mediocrity. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fans screaming for Ballard to make a big trade for a rookie quarterback will scream for him to be fired if he does what they want and the quarterback isn’t good enough.    Fans always want it both ways no matter what. 

I won't... well... I won't scream for him to be fired for trying and failing on a rookie QB(although even my patience has limits, maybe on the second failed one I will scream for his head...). I might scream for him to be fired if he keeps failing to add high end talent at every single position of value in the league, though. 

31 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think Ballard is realizing that its getting hot in the kitchen, 5 years no division title, 1 playoff win, no franchise QB. Can only drag the Luck retiring excuse out so much. Teams like the Bengals have leapfrogged us. He is going to be more aggressive count on it.

And what Irsay is concerned about, is that the Cincy market overlaps the Colts market.     

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Long-term consistent success is achieved in this league almost exclusively thanks to a franchise QB. This is a FACT. 

The best way to get a franchise QB is through the draft. This is a FACT. Franchise QBs do NOT hit FA or trade market with any consistency whatsoever. You can find one or two over 20 year period like Brees. But OVERWHELMINGLY the franchise QBs in the league are ones drafted by the team. Especially the ones that actually can be counted as LONG TERM. For example, trading for 38 year old Rodgers is not a long term solution even though he is a franchise QB. 

And none of this disputes the fact that finding that QB in the draft is actually hard. It's not easy. It's risky. You might miss once... or two times... or more before you get your guy. But the alternative is worse IMO. I'd rather us keep trying than settle for mediocrity. 

I won't... well... I won't scream for him to be fired for trying and failing on a rookie QB(although even my patience has limits, maybe on the second failed one I will scream for his head...). I might scream for him to be fired if he keeps failing to add high end talent at every single position of value in the league, though. 

Who has settled for mediocrity?   Who?   No one, as far as I can see.   No one.   

And when you write that it might take two or three times to find your eventual quarterback, well great!   Except most GMs don’t get two or three chances to get it right.   A small handful get that chance.   Most GMs get fired quickly.  Some after the first miss, some after the second miss.  

Irsay is beyond furious.   Ballard just gave his LEAST revealing year ender.   He doesn’t have answers to give yet.   And he won’t until more likely May or June and we see how things have gone.   Frank called the finish a permanent scar on his record.   I don’t see anyone settling for mediocrity.   

56 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

The Bengals have leapfrogged us because they had FIVE straight losing seasons.  Three of those five the losses were in double digits.   Fans here are melting down because we missed the playoffs with a 9-8 record.   Who here is ready to accept five straight terrible years?     No one. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Bengals have leapfrogged us because they had FIVE straight losing seasons.  Three of those five the kisses were in double digits.   Fans here are melting down because we missed the playoffs with a 9-8 record.   Who here is ready to accept five straight terrible years?     No one. 

They got lucky because Joe Burrow was there for #1, like Peyton and Luck was with us. That doesn't always happen. Jacks got Lawrence too but the problem with Jacks is they have bad management and their coaching stinks. Taylor is a good coach with Cincy. 

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who has settled for mediocrity?   Who?   No one, as far as I can see.   No one.   

We will see, we are talking hypotheticals here. Maybe we won't settle... or maybe we will. I think Ballard knows what he needs to do. Now I want to see if Irsay will give him the leash to do it and if Ballard will actually commit to it. And I personally will defend him for going for rookie QB when he does it and people are not happy that we are taking a step back with a rookie. I was ready to do it last year and I am still ready to do it this year, because just like last year, this is the right thing to do again. And furthermore, I will defend him even if he busts on his choice of a rookie QB when people attack him for it. Because it's the right thing to do, regardless of the ultimate outcome. 

And when you write that it might take two or three times to find your eventual quarterback, well great!   Except most GMs don’t get two or three chances to get it right.   A small handful get that chance.   Most GMs get fired quickly.  Some after the first miss, some after the second miss.  

Ballard already had his first shot and a miss. I am actually very forgiving for misses when I think the process is solid. No GM in the league shoots 100%. But also, at some point(not sure when exactly) the accumulation of misses at important positions needs to gain some weight. For example - what good is a solid process, when your evaluations consistently fail?

Irsay is beyond furious.   Ballard just gave his LEAST revealing year ender.   He doesn’t have answers to give yet.   And he won’t until more likely May or June and we see how things have gone.   Frank called the finish a permanent scar on his record.   I don’t see anyone settling for mediocrity.   

Well, lets see... but... in the meantime... can we talk and discuss? 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Bengals have leapfrogged us because they had FIVE straight losing seasons.  Three of those five the kisses were in double digits.   Fans here are melting down because we missed the playoffs with a 9-8 record.   Who here is ready to accept five straight terrible years?     No one. 

Agree, and as many people are slamming Carson Wentz and making it seem like he had a terrible season (he didn't) and is the sole reason for us missing the playoffs, (he isn't) at least no one here is accusing him of intentionally throwing any games like some Chiefs fans are suggesting about Patrick Mahomes on their boards.

Peyton, Brady, Stafford all recently led teams to Super Bowls after moving on to new teams.  Sure the ideal way is to find a young QB in the draft but if you miss your getting canned.  QB’s are playing into their 40’s these days since breathing on them is a penalty.  The age difference as well as their personality fits makes going after Wilson rather than Rodgers a good move to me before circling back to Wentz , a different veteran or a rookie. 

8 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Agree, and as many people are slamming Carson Wentz and making it seem like he had a terrible season (he didn't) and is the sole reason for us missing the playoffs, (he isn't) at least no one here is accusing him of intentionally throwing any games like some Chiefs fans are suggesting about Patrick Mahomes on their boards.

Mahomes didn't throw the game. He just had a bad half. Turning point was when they didn't score before half, If they score there it is 28-3 and game over.

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

We will see, we are talking hypotheticals here. Maybe we won't settle... or maybe we will. I think Ballard knows what he needs to do. Now I want to see if Irsay will give him the leash to do it and if Ballard will actually commit to it. And I personally will defend him for going for rookie QB when he does it and people are not happy that we are taking a step back with a rookie. I was ready to do it last year and I am still ready to do it this year, because just like last year, this is the right thing to do again. And furthermore, I will defend him even if he busts on his choice of a rookie QB when people attack him for it. Because it's the right thing to do, regardless of the ultimate outcome. 

Ballard already had his first shot and a miss. I am actually very forgiving for misses when I think the process is solid. No GM in the league shoots 100%. But also, at some point(not sure when exactly) the accumulation of misses at important positions needs to gain some weight. For example - what good is a solid process, when your evaluations consistently fail?

Well, lets see... but... in the meantime... can we talk and discuss? 

Of course we can talk and discuss.   But even in your follow up post here,  you’re still not convinced if we’ll settle for mediocrity or not.  I don’t understand that — at all.   What have Irsay, Ballard and Teich ever done to make anyone think they’d settle for mediocrity in the long haul.   Years like 2011 and 2017 are exceptions.   Bottoming out is part of the process.  

But settle, in the long term?   These are hugely competitive people who want desperately to win ASAP.  It’s inconceivable that anyone is settling. 

15 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

Chiefs fans are suggesting Mahomes intentionally threw the game?!?   <<Gasp!!>>

Inconceivable!!   Unconscionable!!   Sigh….

9 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

Peyton, Brady, Stafford all recently led teams to Super Bowls after moving on to new teams.  Sure the ideal way is to find a young QB in the draft but if you miss your getting canned.  QB’s are playing into their 40’s these days since breathing on them is a penalty.  The age difference as well as their personality fits makes going after Wilson rather than Rodgers a good move to me before circling back to Wentz , a different veteran or a rookie. 

Not to mention Drew Brees, but only Peyton & Brady had led their previous teams to the big game.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chiefs fans are suggesting Mahomes intentionally threw the game?!?   <<Gasp!!>>

Inconceivable!!   Unconscionable!!   Sigh….

Yeah I am not buying that at all, Cincy just played great D in the 2nd half and had that huge stop before the half. I may have a few games in history where I think things look fishy but this isn't one of them.

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course we can talk and discuss.   But even in your follow up post here,  you’re still not convinced if we’ll settle for mediocrity or not.  I don’t understand that — at all.   What have Irsay, Ballard and Teich ever done to make anyone think they’d settle for mediocrity in the long haul.   Years like 2011 and 2017 are exceptions.   Bottoming out is part of the process.  

But settle, in the long term?   These are hugely competitive people who want desperately to win ASAP.  It’s inconceivable that anyone is settling. 

I think there are different levels of settling. To me Wentz was settling, but by the price paid, I'm not sure I can even give Ballard that excuse... IMO he thought he was getting his long-term QB. Another type of settling would be exchanging Wentz for something slightly better that's ultimately still not a franchise QB(Cousins, Jimmy G types)... you can pass it off as going for it, but IMO this would be the ultimate settling. The last option is not exactly settling, because you are going for high upside scenario, but it postpones the long-term solution with several years most likely and that option is - going for one of the premier QBs(Rodgers, Wilson). I can kind of understand this if we think this team is very close except for the QB position, but I'm not sure we are THAT close...

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, the only 2 QB's to do it. I really wanted Rivers back in 2021. I think with Rivers at worse we would've made the AFC Title Game after looking at how things went down. 

Yep.  Rivers may be the most under rated Colts QB of all time by the fans.  Even if it was for only one yr.

He had more physical skills than Manning did when the Donks won their SB

Again.  I despised him with the Bolts for years.     I guess you only despise the great ones because they can hand you a loss no matter how good your team is.  

Irsay is fed up with Wentz. That couldn't be more clearer, but the question becomes what do you do because imo the colts don't have enough trade capital to compete with 10+ other QB needy teams that would look to try to get Wilson or Rodgers.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Irsay is fed up with Wentz. That couldn't be more clearer, but the question becomes what do you do because imo the colts don't have enough trade capital to compete with 10+ other QB needy teams that would look to try to get Wilson or Rodgers.

Wilson is not going anywhere. Rodgers maybe.

Zak Keefer did a mailbag today answering questions. At the end he goes Rodgers and Wilson are not happening. He actually put a GIF after it. 

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Wilson is not going anywhere. Rodgers maybe.

Zak Keefer did a mailbag today answering questions. At the end he goes Rodgers and Wilson are not happening. He actually put a GIF after it. 

I'm just putting them out there. I would be interested in Matt Ryan if his contract wasn't so terrible. Almost 4000 yard passing throwing to nobodies and a rookie for half the season.

Archived