Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says that He Wants the Colts to Have "All Chips In" for 2022! Can this be true?

philba101

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Oh there are people who are excited for the possibility believe me. Some willing to give up all our stars for it to happen.

Not me regrading giving up our stars. I just mentioned draft picks and possibly Hines. Hines only because we have Taylor. I want to keep Nelson and Leonard, no way would I part with them.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trading future picks and probably trading a player like Hines and even package Wentz in it, not really sure what Seattle would want? We do have 1st round picks in 2023 and 2024. If Wilson really wants out of Seattle than anything is possible. Wentz is a lot better than any back up they have. I am just throwing out hypothetical's because I don't know. Jimmy G is realistic though because SF wants him gone lmao .

Nobody is saying it is going to happen, I am throwing out hypothetical's. 

Jimmy G falls more into the 'lateral move' category than difference-maker category. He's not clutch IMO, but he's at least not as erratic as Wentz. Would probably represent an upgrade over Wentz, BUT at what cost? As far as trading future picks, yeah, that's possible, but probably not likely. Any team entertaining a trade for a franchise QB would lean towards the immediate gratification of a 1st round pick THIS year, rather than wait until 2023. They want to win NOW, just as the Colts do. And lastly, from the standpoint of the QB himself, you'd have to think he would question the receiving corps. As it stands now, the Colts don't have much of one. Sure, the Colts could provide assurances to address the WR problem. But that would still leave questions.

Edit: David Carr is the most likely candidate for a difference-maker that isn't pie-in-the-sky.

3 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Jimmy G falls more into the 'lateral move' category than difference-maker category. He's not clutch IMO, but he's at least not as erratic as Wentz. Would probably represent an upgrade over Wentz, BUT at what cost? As far as trading future picks, yeah, that's possible, but probably not likely. Any team entertaining a trade for a franchise QB would lean towards the immediate gratification of a 1st round pick THIS year, rather than wait until 2023. They want to win NOW, just as the Colts do. And lastly, from the standpoint of the QB himself, you'd have to think he would question the receiving corps. As it stands now, the Colts don't have much of one. Sure, the Colts could provide assurances to address the WR problem. But that would still leave questions.

Edit: David Carr is the most likely candidate for a difference-maker that isn't pie-in-the-sky.

Carr is another option as well but he acts like he wants to stay with the Raiders. I still like Wentz so not trying to dump on the guy, I am just throwing out different idea's. 

25 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Jason is losing what little credibility he may have had with me.   That’s an ignorant post.    It’s as if he has no idea who Chris Ballard is?

Quick!   Please name the last NFL trade built around players rather than picks?   I’ll wait.

Quick!    How many times has Ballard talked about being reluctant to trade multiple 1’s and multiple Day Two draft picks for an unproven kid who will need at least a year or two to be ready?     This shouldn’t take long. 

And a trade that BIG built around a combination of picks and current players would weaken the team that a player like Rodgers or Wilson would come to play for.   Wouldn’t the Colts be a much weaker team minus players AND picks?    

Jason Spears acts like he doesn’t understand any of that!    Bad tweet,  that’s a bad, bad tweet.   Next time people excitedly post a Spears tweet,  I’m going to remind them of this one.  Did I mention what a bad tweet this is?    

smdh….   :facepalm:

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Jason is losing what little credibility he may have had with me.   That’s an ignorant post. 
It’s as if he has no idea who Chris Ballard is?

Quick!   Please name the last NFL trade built around players rather than picks?   I’ll wait.

Quick:  How many times has Ballard talked about being reluctant to trade multiple 1’s and multiple Day Two draft picks for an unproven kid who will need at least a year or two to be ready?     This shouldn’t take long. 

And a trade that BIG built around a combination of picks and current players would weaken the team that a player like Rodgers or Wilson would come to play for.   Wouldn’t the Colts be a much weaker team minus players AND picks?    

Jason Spears acts like he doesn’t understand any of that!    Bad tweet,  that’s a bad, bad tweet.   Next time people excitedly post a Spears tweet,  I’m going to remind them of this one.  Did I mention what a bad tweet this is?    

No way in hell are we trading Nelson, Leonard, or Taylor. Won't happen in a million years. Now other things could happen like I mentioned above but regarding my 1st sentence that will never happen. Those 3 are going to be around for a long time as they should. :thmup:

Irsay's statement about anyone walking in the building must have "All Chips In" implies there were people at the Colts this past season who were not "all in." Will those people be fired or are they now "on notice?"

Last season the Colts went to the playoffs and lost in the first round. Were they "almost all in?"

He spouted a cliché to get across that he is ticked off and committed to winning. Other than that, the words mean nothing. 

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would give up lets say a #1 in 2023 and Kelly and Hines for Wilson, even throw in Wentz because Seattle would need a QB at that point that is at least average to good at times. If I am a GM, no way am I trading Nelson, Leonard or Taylor. 

Let’s be clear….   Your offer wouldn’t come close to getting Wilson.   Seattle would turn that down so fast.    They’d expect much MUCH more.  

I'm not crazy about the characterization of it as a "fallacy". Sure, the Colts could give their right arm to acquire a QB. And sure, they could give up one foundation piece to acquire another. But I question the logic of improving the QB position at the expense of degrading the supporting cast around him that he would need to be successful. The most glaring example of this would be trading away Taylor. No, I'm sorry, but to suggest trading away Taylor to illustrate a point about how it's a fallacy is just straight up ridiculous. Given the way Pinter has played, Kelly is a possibility. Nelson is also a foundational piece, and I just don't see how trading him away results in a net gain. This Jason Spears guy seems to have a knack for stirring up internet discussion, even though as far as I can tell, it's mostly nonsense and unsubstantiated. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jason is losing what little credibility he may have had with me.   That’s an ignorant post.    It’s as if he has no idea who Chris Ballard is?

Quick:  How many times has Ballard talked about being reluctant to trade multiple 1’s and multiple Day Two draft picks for an unproven kid who will need at least a year or two to be ready?     This shouldn’t take long. 

Him and his partner have both gone off the rails. Neither have much common sense. They spew so much negativity. Jason’s inside source on injuries and hires is good because that is concrete info. When he spouts things about who colts are interested in or claiming to know what happened with Irsay, Ballard, and Reich is like the telephone game. It’s all third hand info. He swears up and down Ballard was so against Wentz and there was no way he was coming here. So he proceeded to blame Reich for pressuring Ballard instead of just admitting his source was wrong.

Asked if his “all chips in” directive in the video was aimed at anyone in particular — say, his starting quarterback, Carson Wentz, who struggled so much in the season’s final two games that it left the team unsure if it wants him back in 2022 — Irsay’s response came quickly.

No, he vowed, this wasn’t about the QB.

“It wasn’t directed at him,” Irsay said. “If I was directing it at him, I would’ve named him … I don’t worry about his feelings. If I was directing it at Carson, I would have told Carson face-to-face.

“If anyone wants to know where I stand, they can come ask me,” he continued. “I don’t deal with kid gloves in this league, not at this level. If I’m directing something at you, believe me, you’re going to know it because it’s gonna be one-on-one and I’m going to be looking at you face-to-face.”

There’s so much to like about what Ballard and Reich have built, Irsay said, noting the talent on the roster — a league-high seven Pro Bowlers, including the NFL rushing champ — and the fact that three of the Colts’ last four wins came against playoff teams. Once they were in “the dance,” Irsay said, there was no reason they couldn’t make a deep run.

They’re instead left with the most disappointing finish in recent memory. And with it, the questions that follow.

“I never make decisions when it comes to this based on emotion,” Irsay said. “We have great people in this organization, but just because you’re a nice person doesn’t mean you’re cut out for this business.”

3 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Asked if his “all chips in” directive in the video was aimed at anyone in particular — say, his starting quarterback, Carson Wentz, who struggled so much in the season’s final two games that it left the team unsure if it wants him back in 2022 — Irsay’s response came quickly.

“It wasn’t directed at him,” Irsay said. “If I was directing it at him, I would’ve named him … I don’t worry about his feelings. If I was directing it at Carson, I would have told Carson face-to-face.

“If anyone wants to know where I stand, they can come ask me,” he continued. “I don’t deal with kid gloves in this league, not at this level. If I’m directing something at you, believe me, you’re going to know it because it’s gonna be one-on-one and I’m going to be looking at you face-to-face.”

Looks like Carson might be getting some new weapons next season.

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

There’s so much to like about what Ballard and Reich have built, Irsay said, noting the talent on the roster — a league-high seven Pro Bowlers, including the NFL rushing champ — and the fact that three of the Colts’ last four wins came against playoff teams. Once they were in “the dance,” Irsay said, there was no reason they couldn’t make a deep run.

They’re instead left with the most disappointing finish in recent memory. And with it, the questions that follow.

“I never make decisions when it comes to this based on emotion,” Irsay said. “We have great people in this organization, but just because you’re a nice person doesn’t mean you’re cut out for this business.”

Hmm, well, I hate to take it here, but in that explanation he never mentions that it's general, and not about anyone in particular, so I have to assume it's about some one/people who he feels aren't 'all chips in'.

I don't want to speculate the they may be, so will just watch what they do understanding it's not Ballard, Reich, Wentz, Taylor, or Q.

It could be someone who leaves on their own accord, as well.

31 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Why do you say that?

I had the same question.  I don't see anything in that statement that says Irsay wants more weapons.  Now it makes sense that he would, but there is nothing in the statement says that.

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I had the same question.  I don't see anything in that statement that says Irsay wants more weapons.  Now it makes sense that he would, but there is nothing in the statement says that.

I think the poster was coming from a angle that looks like Wentz will be back which means he will get some upgraded weapons. I think when emotions simmer down and they evaluate things they will realize they need to stick with him one more year.

22 hours ago, philba101 said:

Of course, "All Chips In" is a gambling term. "No risk it, no biscuit" as Bruce Arians likes to say. So, are the Colts really ready to roll the dice and go "all in" for the 2022 season? I hope I am wrong but I feel like the following would be Ballard and Reich's version of "All In." Tell me if you think Irsay will be good with this for one more year and what your "All In" would be if you had the choice for 2022!

1. Bring Back Wentz (Save ourselves from eating $15 million in dead cap and throwing away a first and third rounder)

2. Bring in a veteran backup for Wentz to motivate him to play better

(Has this been tried before?)

3. Develop the receiving corps that has so much potential (Potential is so much more risky than actual Production); maybe consider drafting a 6th-round receiver as well?

4. Spend no money signing free agents (Instead re-sign T.Y. and see if you can get 6 more games out of him on the cheap); of course the same strategy with Doyle as well.

5. Trade higher draft picks so we can get more lower drafts picks so that we can then develop them over the next five years (delayed gratification at its finest)

6. Patchwork the offensive line (re-sign anyone who is currently on the team but is not making big money yet)

7. Patch the holes in the secondary (sign futures agreements with any defenders who are currently not on any playoff teams)

8. Re-think everything because this is way to much risk for one offseason.

Having an organization give up a first and third round draft picks to bring you a team where you have great ties with the head coach who not only pushed hard enough to get you out of an uncomfortable and sour contract with the Eagles, but made sure the Eagles still had to pay you a significant amount of money which would land Wentz roughly $35 million in 2021.

Just those reasons alone should have been enough to motivate Carson Wentz. Having another team believe in him enough to go through all that to acquire him is all the motivation a normal person would need but Carson is Carson and unfortunately for the Colts he was nothing more than a huge waste of time.

I think the poster was coming from a angle that looks like Wentz will be back which means he will get some upgraded weapons. I think when emotions simmer down and they evaluate things they will realize they need to stick with him one more year.

I'm not his agent (richard pallos), but of course this is why he made the statement. There's been numerous statements in various threads suggesting that keeping Wentz would require upgrading his weapons, and actually to upgrade them regardless. With the Irsay's suggestion that Wentz isn't the issue, it strengthens the 'upgrade weapons' thought.

3 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I'm not his agent (richard pallos), but of course this is why he made the statement. There's been numerous statements in various threads suggesting that keeping Wentz would require upgrading his weapons, and actually to upgrade them regardless. With the Irsay's suggestion that Wentz isn't the issue, it strengthens the 'upgrade weapons' thought.

Yes.  That’s what I was thinking.

21 minutes ago, buccolts said:

With the Irsay's suggestion that Wentz isn't the issue

He didn't go that far.

I don't take much at all from this interview other than Irsay still seems very angry.

If I were to pick out one thing, it's the "we need more warriors"  and "just because you're nice doesn't mean you're going to cut it in this league" comments.  Ballard now has five years of searching for high character types and the players he's brought in have put together ridiculous collapse after ridiculous collapse over the past two years.  That said, any serviceable QB wins one of the last two games and takes you to the playoffs, so that has to be priority #1 IMO.

22 minutes ago, buccolts said:

I don’t think that is what Irsay said. I think he was laying blame at the entire team and trying to understand why the entire team fell short.  His comment wasn’t just at one player.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I don’t think that is what Irsay said. I think he was laying blame at the entire team and trying to understand why the entire team fell short.  His comment wasn’t just at one player.

This is what I'm referring to:

“It wasn’t directed at him,” Irsay said. “If I was directing it at him, I would’ve named him …

Another way to look at Irsay’s comments is he is alluding to a organizational failure then it being one guys fault. Once I think they do evaluations they will probably fix holes and give him a second chance. That’s doesn’t mean I think if there is a upgrade they won’t try to do it. But realistically unless it’s Rodgers or Wilson there really is no upgrade.

22 hours ago, Indeee said:

At face value it could be about attitude as @Supermansuggested or a combination of attitude and strategy. Irsay is NO fool. He might have at times done foolish things however he understands as do a lot of other aging owners that Trophies need to come sooner than later, if only because they are running out of earthly time. Regardless of whether the fan base or a portion of the fan base would agree, it might almost be time to throw all those chips (future 1's) into the pot to acquire certain talent through the draft or via FA. Maybe not in 2022, but soon. 

The notion that any fan not wanting this method for fear that the future of the team would suffer and still want the "same old" approach each year that results in suffering anyway, to me is weird. It's a gamble for sure, but so is anything in life where an outcome awaits. At some point you have to go after that trophy without being entirely dumb. 

Mortgaging future picks on a QB as an example that is talented enough to win you titles or place you in back end of playoffs every year is worth it, especially if the non-title years give the team first rounders in the late part of the draft each year.

I guess we shall see what transpires. 

great post

1 hour ago, buccolts said:

That is strange.

So Ballard says the weapons are fine.  Irsay says Wentz is not the problem.

So who's fault is it ?

Amy Poehler What GIF

2 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

That is strange.

So Ballard says the weapons are fine.  Irsay says Wentz is not the problem.

So who's fault is it ?

Amy Poehler What GIF

Irsay never said Wentz was fine. He was talking in general terms how it was a organizational failure. He said if it was all about Carson he would just say so that he doesn’t tip toe around those things.

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

So who on the Colts would he be referring to that was not showing an "all-in" attitude?

The "all-in" comment was in reference to those showing up this coming year.  You can assume he means some people didn't show up with an all-in attitude last summer, or you can assume he meant that a specific player or coach didn't show up with an all-in attitude, or maybe the whole team.  Or maybe he felt they weren't all-in for the Jacksonville game.  I don't know.

Which ever way you spin that statement it is just an assumption since his comment was about the future and not the past.

On 1/19/2022 at 3:03 PM, philba101 said:

I was listening to a radio talk show the other day that was debating the issue about Wentz not being vaccinated. They were not debating the political side of it but rather would Irsay be justified by saying the following: As an owner of this team, if I am going to pay you $25 million a year to play football, then part of showing your commitment would be to get a vaccine so you don't risk missing time based on whatever covid rules are established by the league. They seemed to think that was a fair question from an owner but I am not sure what how the player's union or league would react if a owner took that stance. 

SCOTUS says that is illegal.  The NFL should stay out of that decision.  

Archived