Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says that He Wants the Colts to Have "All Chips In" for 2022! Can this be true?

philba101

Of course, "All Chips In" is a gambling term. "No risk it, no biscuit" as Bruce Arians likes to say. So, are the Colts really ready to roll the dice and go "all in" for the 2022 season? I hope I am wrong but I feel like the following would be Ballard and Reich's version of "All In." Tell me if you think Irsay will be good with this for one more year and what your "All In" would be if you had the choice for 2022!

1. Bring Back Wentz (Save ourselves from eating $15 million in dead cap and throwing away a first and third rounder)

2. Bring in a veteran backup for Wentz to motivate him to play better (Has this been tried before?)

3. Develop the receiving corps that has so much potential (Potential is so much more risky than actual Production); maybe consider drafting a 6th-round receiver as well?

4. Spend no money signing free agents (Instead re-sign T.Y. and see if you can get 6 more games out of him on the cheap); of course the same strategy with Doyle as well.

5. Trade higher draft picks so we can get more lower drafts picks so that we can then develop them over the next five years (delayed gratification at its finest)

6. Patchwork the offensive line (re-sign anyone who is currently on the team but is not making big money yet)

7. Patch the holes in the secondary (sign futures agreements with any defenders who are currently not on any playoff teams)

8. Re-think everything because this is way to much risk for one offseason.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Of course, "All Chips In" is a gambling term. "No risk it, no biscuit" as Bruce Arians likes to say. So, are the Colts really ready to roll the dice and go "all in" for the 2022 season? I hope I am wrong but I feel like the following would be Ballard and Reich's version of "All In." Tell me if you think Irsay will be good with this for one more year and what your "All In" would be if you had the choice for 2022!

1. Bring Back Wentz (Save ourselves from eating $15 million in dead cap and throwing away a first and third rounder)

2. Bring in a veteran backup for Wentz to motivate him to play better (Has this been tried before?)

3. Develop the receiving corps that has so much potential (Potential is so much more risky than actual Production); maybe consider drafting a 6th-round receiver as well?

4. Spend no money signing free agents (Instead re-sign T.Y. and see if you can get 6 more games out of him on the cheap); of course the same strategy with Doyle as well.

5. Trade higher draft picks so we can get more lower drafts picks so that we can then develop them over the next five years (delayed gratification at its finest)

6. Patchwork the offensive line (re-sign anyone who is currently on the team but is not making big money yet)

7. Patch the holes in the secondary (sign futures agreements with any defenders who are currently not on any playoff teams)

Mariota could be cheap motivation. Sign WR Godwin. Sign a healthy LT. We need a true FS and CB help also...resign Reed Glow and Pryor and let Big Q walk. We need the money for a solid LT and other holes....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

He actually said that he wants anyone stepping through the 56 ST door to be "all chips in".

There are dozens of speculations on what he means by that (vax status, new coaches, QB, etc.)

But the question is - what owner doesn't want his team to be All Chips In?

I like Irsay as an owner.  I know he's passionate.  But he's also smart and lets his football guys make football decisions.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He actually said that he wants anyone stepping through the 56 ST door to be "all chips in".

There are dozens of speculations on what he means by that (vax status, new coaches, QB, etc.)

But the question is - what owner doesn't want his team to be All Chips In?

I like Irsay as an owner.  I know he's passionate.  But he's also smart and lets his football guys make football decisions.

If he let's his football guys make football decisions like you say, is this time different in your opinion than any other year?

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

If he let's his football guys make football decisions like you say, is this time different in your opinion than any other year?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

As I said, I really don't know what he means by All Chips In.  No one does, it's all speculation.

Just now, Smonroe said:

I'm not sure what you're asking.

As I said, I really don't know what he means by All Chips In.  No one does, it's all speculation.

Agreed, it is all speculation at this point. I just don't remember hearing Irsay use the term "all-in" with this coach and GM and was wondering whether you thought that was a departure from the approach in previous years.

28 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

The Eagles bringing in a rookie didn’t play well on Wentz. I’ve got a feeling bringing in a vet to challenge for his spot isn’t going to fare much better.  

He’s not the QB then.  He can’t handle competition, he can’t handle hard coaching, he can’t handle pressure. He knows at least half the fan base wants him gone. Do we really think next year will go better even with more weapons?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, philba101 said:

Agreed, it is all speculation at this point. I just don't remember hearing Irsay use the term "all-in" with this coach and GM and was wondering whether you thought that was a departure from the approach in previous years.

Only my opinion, so complete speculation - Yes, I think that Jags loss set him off.  When said he wants everyone to enter the facility to be all chips in - I think it may have something to do with Carson not being vaxed.  

But I could be way off.

I'd like it to mean that he'd be okay with paying the price to get Wilson.  Again, just speculation 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

He’s not the QB then.  He can’t handle competition, he can’t handle hard coaching, he can’t handle pressure. He knows at least half the fan base wants him gone. Do we really think next year will go better even with more weapons?

While we're playing the speculation game (and I agree with what you wrote) - We all heard Ballard say our receiving corps is good.  I think Bowen brought this up too - it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the QB then.  It's like saying - you have the weapons, you're just not utilizing them.

I think the Colts will most likely spend prudently, with a focus on re-signing their own (Nelson, Ya-Sin, Franklin, Pryor, Sendejo, Reed, and possibly Glowinsky), and then, in typical Ballard Fashion, sign several affordable free agents, with an emphasis on 'value' (but nothing flashy). There may be a re-thinking of scheme(s), and a coaching change here and there. But I'd wouldn't expect anything that rises to the level of an "all-in" approach. These are just words. They just don't have the draft capital to outbid other teams in any scenario that would involve signing a true marquee player like Rogers or Wilson (assuming the latter were even available). I think the Raiders would want more for Carr than Ballard is willing to pay, so you can probably scratch him off the list. They could conceivably sign a quality back-up QB. But in the end, Wentz will be the starter in 2022. No major changes until 2023.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

While we're playing the speculation game (and I agree with what you wrote) - We all heard Ballard say our receiving corps is good.  I think Bowen brought this up too - it's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the QB then.  It's like saying - you have the weapons, you're just not utilizing them.

I was listening to a radio talk show the other day that was debating the issue about Wentz not being vaccinated. They were not debating the political side of it but rather would Irsay be justified by saying the following: As an owner of this team, if I am going to pay you $25 million a year to play football, then part of showing your commitment would be to get a vaccine so you don't risk missing time based on whatever covid rules are established by the league. They seemed to think that was a fair question from an owner but I am not sure what how the player's union or league would react if a owner took that stance. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I was listening to a radio talk show the other day that was debating the issue about Wentz not being vaccinated. They were not debating the political side of it but rather would Irsay be justified by saying the following: As an owner of this team, if I am going to pay you $25 million a year to play football, then part of showing your commitment would be to get a vaccine so you don't risk missing time based on whatever covid rules are established by the league. They seemed to think that was a fair question from an owner but I am not sure what how the player's union or league would react if a owner took that stance. 

If Irsay has issues with him not being vaxed he need to think again. Especially when the entire oline, Leonard and some major other players weren’t vaccinated.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Irsay has issues with him not being vaxed he need to think again. Especially when the entire oline, Leonard and some major other players weren’t vaccinated.

Agreed. Should an owner be able to say to all these players, I am paying your salary so I want you vaxed as as way to show that you are committed to being available?(not subject to league restrictions)

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Agreed. Should an owner be able to say to all these players, I am paying your salary so I want you vaxed as as way to show that you are committed to being available?(not subject to league restrictions)

I am fine with him having that opinion just don’t take it out on just the QB. It wasn’t just Wentz. Good thing is nfl has had zero cases since playoffs started because rumors are they are giving up trying to fight it. We might be back to normal next season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Again, I was just speculating.  And if he's saying that about Carson, he's saying it about every player.

I don't want to start the vax discussion - but (again, IMHO) he may be saying that he wants everyone to commit to being available.  

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am fine with him having that opinion just don’t take it out on just the QB. It wasn’t just Wentz. Good thing is nfl has had zero cases since playoffs stopped because rumors are they are giving up trying to fight it. We might be back to normal next season.

I agree, you can't just punish Wentz when we had multiple players taking the risk. I hope you are right and we can get back to normal sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

At face value it could be about attitude as @Supermansuggested or a combination of attitude and strategy. Irsay is NO fool. He might have at times done foolish things however he understands as do a lot of other aging owners that Trophies need to come sooner than later, if only because they are running out of earthly time. Regardless of whether the fan base or a portion of the fan base would agree, it might almost be time to throw all those chips (future 1's) into the pot to acquire certain talent through the draft or via FA. Maybe not in 2022, but soon. 

The notion that any fan not wanting this method for fear that the future of the team would suffer and still want the "same old" approach each year that results in suffering anyway, to me is weird. It's a gamble for sure, but so is anything in life where an outcome awaits. At some point you have to go after that trophy without being entirely dumb. 

Mortgaging future picks on a QB as an example that is talented enough to win you titles or place you in back end of playoffs every year is worth it, especially if the non-title years give the team first rounders in the late part of the draft each year.

I guess we shall see what transpires. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I think Irsay was not happy about the vaccination status of Carson, Leonard, Q , Fisher and who ever else didn't get vaccinated.

• Like 4

Executing an All Chips In plan for 2022 would be to sign a vet EDGE, WR, TE, and QB.  Restructure some contracts if they have too.

For the draft, it could mean that we draft a LT or maybe trade up in the draft to draft Carson Strong to compete with Carson Wentz.

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

At face value it could be about attitude as @Supermansuggested or a combination of attitude and strategy. Irsay is NO fool. He might have at times done foolish things however he understands as do a lot of other aging owners that Trophies need to come sooner than later, if only because they are running out of earthly time. Regardless of whether the fan base or a portion of the fan base would agree, it might almost be time to throw all those chips (future 1's) into the pot to acquire certain talent through the draft or via FA. Maybe not in 2022, but soon. 

The notion that any fan not wanting this method for fear that the future of the team would suffer and still want the "same old" approach each year that results in suffering anyway, to me is weird. It's a gamble for sure, but so is anything in life where an outcome awaits. At some point you have to go after that trophy without being entirely dumb. 

Mortgaging future picks on a QB as an example that is talented enough to win you titles or place you in back end of playoffs every year is worth it, especially if the non-title years give the team first rounders in the late part of the draft each year.

I guess we shall see what transpires. 

Agreed, no risk it, no biscuit!

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

The Eagles bringing in a rookie didn’t play well on Wentz. I’ve got a feeling bringing in a vet to challenge for his spot isn’t going to fare much better.  

I don't disagree with you.

But I can see that 2022 is a different situation than 2020. When the Eagles drafted Hurts, Wentz thought he was QB for life in Philly. Having a hotshot understudy appear from 'nowhere' probably stung.

But now, If Carson Wentz doesn't have the awareness to realize he is lucky to be on the roster after March 16th (if he is), then he does indeed suffer from a personality disorder. He must feel the heat. Ballard Irsay isn't playing around. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, philba101 said:

No

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Aaron Rodgers or bust

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Lays or Old  Dutch????

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Our WRs were fine under Rivers. He distributed the ball well.

That's what Ballard means. Our WRs looked great under Rivers and below average under Wentz.

That can't be ignored. Ballard is not dumb. He's comparing the numbers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'm cool with letting Big Q walk to free up cash. Reed is a solid LG for the fraction of Qs price. We have too many other needs to pay Nelson. LT WR QB CB and FS...

Not happening.  Ballard said in his press conference “when we do the contract” in regards to Q.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, craigerb said:

Whose side are you on?

Dude we need a WR help, CB, FS, LT for sure. Maybe an DE for rotation. Q is the best LG but that money could make the team better used else where. Reed isn't that big of a fall off from Q. We need a healthy Vet LT. I'd like to us get a Godwin like WR opposite MPJ and a big name FS and DE to go opposite Paye and help free up DeFo. It sounds crazy at first but would make the team overall better...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Mariota could be cheap motivation. Sign WR Godwin. Sign a healthy LT. We need a true FS and CB help also...resign Reed Glow and Pryor and let Big Q walk. We need the money for a solid LT and other holes....

Why does everyone want all our money tied up to a G when we have other glaring needs...I know Q is amazing but 20-23mil at LG is going to handicap us...MJP can't do it alone...Doyle is aging...and we need a DL piece to free up DeFo along with a real FS and CB depth...Rhodes stunk Rogers is showing potential but not enough to be a solid #2 to RYS...

13 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

It amazes me how many don’t get this.

I think having an attitude that shows you are not “all in” should be easy enough to spot.  For coaches and for management and owners.  I would think that would be the part of any yearly evaluation process and those type of individuals would not be with the organization for too long.   Changing strategy is more like it for me.  Irsay was ticked off.  Embarrassed.  I think he wants to win with this team now rather than later  and that means making a bold move or two.  I don’t know what will happen but I think he wants some bold ideas put in front of him.  Everyone in the organization knows we are close.  I think he’s sent out his message.  Now we will wait and see what happens.  

5 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I don’t think letting Nelson walk is a good idea. But whatever contract we offer him  should not make him the highest paid offensive linemen in the league.

Like Wentz, his refusal to get vaccinated cost us the playoffs. Let’s not overlook that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2