Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Says that He Wants the Colts to Have "All Chips In" for 2022! Can this be true?

philba101

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

He actually said that he wants anyone stepping through the 56 ST door to be "all chips in".

There are dozens of speculations on what he means by that (vax status, new coaches, QB, etc.)

But the question is - what owner doesn't want his team to be All Chips In?

I like Irsay as an owner.  I know he's passionate.  But he's also smart and lets his football guys make football decisions.

I think all chips in meant, do everything you can to win. That means having full OTAs and having your starting QB lead by example and do whatever he can to help his team win. In 2021 that included getting vaccinated and Wentz and a few others didn’t. 

Darius Leonard didn’t appear to be impacted as much as others in that last game but Wentz and Nelson were clearly not right.

4 hours ago, philba101 said:

Agreed. Should an owner be able to say to all these players, I am paying your salary so I want you vaxed as as way to show that you are committed to being available?(not subject to league restrictions)

I would if it were my team.

4 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I think Irsay was not happy about the vaccination status of Carson, Leonard, Q , Fisher and who ever else didn't get vaccinated.

I think you are right. And it likely will cost all of them something. But for Wentz, it may have cost him his job.

5 hours ago, RevoltingBlob said:

9. Irsay needs to sell tickets, season ticket renewal is coming soon, of course he is making dramatic statements like this. 

It's a business. Part of the business is marketing and selling. 

I was called cynical for making a similar comment lol... But it's simple reality. 

I don't doubt Jim's desire to win though. 

Big question to me, is Irsay himself willing to make tweaks in the FO and scheme to improve things as well. 

3 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

If Irsay has issues with him not being vaxed he need to think again. Especially when the entire oline, Leonard and some major other players weren’t vaccinated.

I wonder if you look at all games/snaps lost this season due to Covid, what % is vax'd vs un-vax'd. 

Wentz didn't miss games/snaps due to covid.... Missed practice though. But so did a lot of vax'd guys. 

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

Our WRs were fine under Rivers. He distributed the ball well.

That's what Ballard means. Our WRs looked great under Rivers and below average under Wentz.

That can't be ignored. Ballard is not dumb. He's comparing the numbers

Before I continue, I'll say that it's completely obvious that Rivers is elite in short level one passing (L1). He's one of the best. And Carson is more of an extending L2 and L3 guy, from a skills perspective.... You also know I'm a Rivers fan, and wanted him back... 

That said, I'm not so sure we can be emphatic that WRs looked better, or worse, with either....

• OL was top 10 last year for Rivers, and bottom 3 in pass pro for Wentz. Rivers would have looked very different under the same circumstance, and his stats would have been closer to his 2019 season in LAC, which was not very good. And River's OL was not even as bad IIRC in 2019.... And even if you compare all the stats and quality ratings/rankings between the two, there's simply a very mixed bag which one could make a case either way.....
  • As far as pass catcher stats... 
    • Pittman (PFF grade / YPG) - clearly better with Wentz
      • 2020  62.6  / 38.7
      • 2021:  78.0 /  63.6
      • Comment: Sure you can chalk a lot up to simply no longer being a rook, but there is no doubt whatsoever that Wentz and Pitt had chemistry. And one could argue Pitt and Wentz are simply good fits (both excel in L2/3 type of play). 
    • TY - push (due to decreased snaps, targets, and games, usage type, and simply age...) 
      • 2020:  77.7 / 50.8
      • 2021:  70.1 / 33.1
      • Comments:  Sure, better with Rivers in pure stats/grades, but what this doesn't show is that his snaps decreased significantly as did he targets per game. He started 6 less games this year due to issues. So the grading and YPG difference, isn't actually something you can hang your hat on if trying to look at QB impact. And if you're going to weight Pitt's improvement due to year 2 improvement (not being a rook), you have to also extend the same rational for TY who's older and declining.... 
    • Jack Doyle - better with Wentz 
      • 2020:  67.0 / 17.9
      • 2021:  71.6 / 17.8
      • Comments:  no difference in YPG, but graded about 5pts higher, and increased his 1D catches 38% with Wentz....
    • Pascal - better with Rivers 
      • 2020:  64.2 / 39.3
      • 2021:  52.7 / 24.0
      • Comments:  His air yards went from 5.6 to 3.5, so obviously he ran different routes and used differently in 2021. Overall, he stepped into a #2 role this year, and had similar snaps to our #1, so obviously getting more attention from Ds this year too. Used a ton in blocking this year as well, more so than last year's %. Most believe he's a WR4, so not a huge shock to see him regress in a bigger role, getting more attention. 
    • Taylor - push or slightly better with Wentz
      • Note: I'll use passer rating when targeted instead of PFF since RB grades are mixed.
        • 2020:  107.2 / 19.9
        • 2021:  109.2 / 21.2
        • Comments:  Taylor ate into Hines' carries and targets from last year, and made small improvements in the passing game, which is pretty impressive his use and production in the running game.
    • Hines - not going to list him as his use dropped big time (40+% less rushes, 25% less targets). Need to get him back in the mix.

6 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Mariota could be cheap motivation. Sign WR Godwin. Sign a healthy LT. We need a true FS and CB help also...resign Reed Glow and Pryor and let Big Q walk. We need the money for a solid LT and other holes....

i love Q but this may be something to think about BUT only if we trade him for a 1st rounder.

since they do not intend to move him to LT (which i think they should have) then the best thing to do is trade him for a 1st rounder and resign as you said Reed Glow and Pryor.

we may could find our LT in this draft with a 1st rounder

6 hours ago, masterlock said:

I think the Colts will most likely spend prudently, with a focus on re-signing their own (Nelson, Ya-Sin, Franklin, Pryor, Sendejo, Reed, and possibly Glowinsky), and then, in typical Ballard Fashion, sign several affordable free agents, with an emphasis on 'value' (but nothing flashy). There may be a re-thinking of scheme(s), and a coaching change here and there. But I'd wouldn't expect anything that rises to the level of an "all-in" approach. These are just words. They just don't have the draft capital to outbid other teams in any scenario that would involve signing a true marquee player like Rogers or Wilson (assuming the latter were even available). I think the Raiders would want more for Carr than Ballard is willing to pay, so you can probably scratch him off the list. They could conceivably sign a quality back-up QB. But in the end, Wentz will be the starter in 2022. No major changes until 2023.

I would agree with some of this as I think that when its all said and done number 2 will be the QB of the Colts THIS year

But..... the more I think of it.....

- We need an additional pass rushing defensive end.......  CB all but said that we are getting one 

This is where Irsay can go "ALL IN" 

- We need a LT that can protect our QB ......  CB said we "didnt have a long term solution" 

This is where we can go "ALL IN"

-  I think everyone can see that we get murdered by TEs......  A tall speedy FS, would help in this area......

We dont have one on the roster, just two SSs....... This is where a FA could be picked up 

We can fill the WR and TE holes in this draft

Hope he delivers what he(Irsay) says he wants, for the sake of the fans.  But that's a tall order, Ballard and Reich are committed to Wentz for another year to see if he can turn things around with some supporting cast in WRs, TEs, and a help from the defense and prove he was worthy of being the #2 pick in the draft.  Besides, it's slim and none on the availability of QBs that are eligible out there. So, hope for the best Colt fans we'll be happy to reach 1 game above .500 again....

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think having an attitude that shows you are not “all in” should be easy enough to spot.  For coaches and for management and owners.  I would think that would be the part of any yearly evaluation process and those type of individuals would not be with the organization for too long.   Changing strategy is more like it for me.  Irsay was ticked off.  Embarrassed.  I think he wants to win with this team now rather than later  and that means making a bold move or two.  I don’t know what will happen but I think he wants some bold ideas put in front of him.  Everyone in the organization knows we are close.  I think he’s sent out his message.  Now we will wait and see what happens.  

Do you think Carson had an “all in” attitude?

41 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Hope he delivers what he(Irsay) says he wants, for the sake of the fans.  But that's a tall order, Ballard and Reich are committed to Wentz for another year to see if he can turn things around with some supporting cast in WRs, TEs, and a help from the defense and prove he was worthy of being the #2 pick in the draft.  Besides, it's slim and none on the availability of QBs that are eligible out there. So, hope for the best Colt fans we'll be happy to reach 1 game above .500 again....

On the bright side, maybe we’ll suck and have a high draft pick in 2023. It sucks to write off next season before we finish this one—and I’m not really doing that here—but I can see a scenario where we don’t improve much and next year becomes even more miserable than this one.

16 hours ago, DougDew said:

Executing an All Chips In plan for 2022 would be to sign a vet EDGE, WR, TE, and QB.  Restructure some contracts if they have too.

For the draft, it could mean that we draft a LT or maybe trade up in the draft to draft Carson Strong to compete with Carson Wentz.

Hopefully some players are open to restructuring...Brayden Smith...cough cough...

11 hours ago, ruf said:

i love Q but this may be something to think about BUT only if we trade him for a 1st rounder.

since they do not intend to move him to LT (which i think they should have) then the best thing to do is trade him for a 1st rounder and resign as you said Reed Glow and Pryor.

we may could find our LT in this draft with a 1st rounder

Isnt Q a free agent? 

In order for all chips to be in we need a franchise QB. It is up to Irsay to make a blockbuster trade (along with Ballard) for Wilson. Put Wilson on this team with Taylor, Pittman, Leonard, Defo, Nelson, Moore, and Smith we would be in the top 5 teams being favored to win the SB. If it takes giving up a couple of 1st round picks lets say in 2023 and 2024 and even a player like Hines to go with it I would do it, I would even give Seattle Wentz, Wentz is at least average and they have nobody else. Wilson alone along with those players improves us 3 games easily. I would then sign a good pass rusher in Free Agency because getting to the QB is a key to winning. If the Rams can go all in now, why can't we next year? Money wise, an owner and a GM can always find ways money wise to do things. I remember when we traded for Eric Dickerson back in 1987 and nobody could figure out we did that. We gave up picks + Bennett and restructured his contract is how. Anything is possible - see the 2021 Rams. Rams got Miller and Odell + they are paying Stafford huge money, how is that possible, well it happened.

The actual quote from Irsay was, "anyone walking into the 56th Street complex this year, will be walking in with all chips in, period." But what does he really mean by that? "All chips in" normally means you're putting all your money (chips) at risk, which would suggest a big-spending approach. But evidence suggests this is NOT what he meant. He's made it clear he's 100% behind Ballard. And Ballard isn't going to suddenly forget about the long-term, salary cap implications of big-free agent signings. He's not going to overpay for the big names. It's just not in his DNA; nor is it in Irsay's DNA. (The only possibly exception would be the QB position. But given the current landscape, that's probably not in the cards.)

So, what did he mean by "all chips in"? My guess is that he was merely trying to say that any player or coach (or other Colts personnel) who walks into the 56th Street Complex should be prepared to give 100% to winning--i.e., that they should be prepared to throw all their 'chips in' and give everything they've got to wining. Not the most exciting interpretation of his remarks. But the most likely IMO.

I have talked to several people since the loss at Jacks and they all have told me the same thing, they can't see anyway we move forward with Wentz. Not after the way Ballard spoke about him. I know someone that actually knows Irsay, his sister is good friends with Irsay's daughter and he says Wentz can't be trusted to be good in big situations. I have talked to at least 10 people about this and several of them are older than me. It's about winning period at this point. We can't be jacking around with these average QB's while Taylor in his prime, other wise that would be a huge waste.

5 minutes ago, masterlock said:

So, what did he mean by "all chips in"? My guess is that he was merely trying to say that any player or coach (or other Colts personnel) who walks into the 56th Street Complex should be prepared to give 100% to winning--i.e., that they should be prepared to throw all their 'chips in' and give everything they've got to wining. 

Yep - too many people are just saying "all chips in" and assuming - or hoping - that means bring in whoever it takes to win.  But that is not what he said.  If the Colts didn't bring in any new coaches or players next year they could still meet the Irsay quote of "anyone walking into the 56th Street complex this year, will be walking in with all chips in, period." 

If the Colts don't bring in any major FAs or trades I would suggest not being disappointed and referencing just a small part of Irsay's quote.  

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have talked to several people since the loss at Jacks and they all have told me the same thing, they can't see anyway we move forward with Wentz. Not after the way Ballard spoke about him. I know someone that actually knows Irsay, his sister is good friends with Irsay's daughter and he says Wentz can't be trusted to be good in big situations. I have talked to at least 10 people about this and several of them are older than me. It's about winning period at this point. We can't be jacking around with these average QB's while Taylor in his prime, other wise that would be a huge waste.

HE says Wentz can't be trusted, or Irsay's daughter, Carlie Irsay-Gordon, says he can't be trusted? There's a big difference. But even if she did say that, and even if Jim Irsay himself believes it, does that mean he will cut Wentz without having a better option? Which takes us back to square one: What ARE the options? This is the crux of the problem not just for the Colts, but for every other team in the NFL that doesn't currently have a franchise QB, which is most of them. 

If the goal is to avoid "jacking around with average QB's" then I have to ask, which above-average, or even elite, QB will be available to the Colts--a team with no 1st round draft pick--that won't also be available to teams that DO possess a 1st round pick? How will the Colts compete for the services of a true difference-maker at the QB position in 2022? My feeling is they can't and won't. They'll AT BEST make a lateral move to a QB who, while not truly elite, at least won't be bad in the same way that Wentz is--the left-handed passes, missed wide-open throws, missed reads, erratic play, etc. But more than likely, they'll roll with Wentz for at least one more year. 

43 minutes ago, masterlock said:

HE says Wentz can't be trusted, or Irsay's daughter, Carlie Irsay-Gordon, says he can't be trusted? There's a big difference. But even if she did say that, and even if Jim Irsay himself believes it, does that mean he will cut Wentz without having a better option? Which takes us back to square one: What ARE the options? This is the crux of the problem not just for the Colts, but for every other team in the NFL that doesn't currently have a franchise QB, which is most of them. 

If the goal is to avoid "jacking around with average QB's" then I have to ask, which above-average, or even elite, QB will be available to the Colts--a team with no 1st round draft pick--that won't also be available to teams that DO possess a 1st round pick? How will the Colts compete for the services of a true difference-maker at the QB position in 2022? My feeling is they can't and won't. They'll AT BEST make a lateral move to a QB who, while not truly elite, at least won't be bad in the same way that Wentz is--the left-handed passes, missed wide-open throws, missed reads, erratic play, etc. But more than likely, they'll roll with Wentz for at least one more year. 

My friend says Wentz can't be trusted, Irsay's didn't say it but that is the vibe. Russell Wilson would be a huge upgrade for example so would Rodgers. Jimmy G would be an upgrade - SF wants him gone which is dumb but they have Lance waiting, he isn't elite but has helped lead his team to a SB. He also fits our offense well, he is good in the short passing game. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My friend says Wentz can't be trusted, Irsay's didn't say it but that is the vibe. Russell Wilson would be a huge upgrade for example so would Rodgers. Jimmy G would be an upgrade - SF wants him gone which is dumb but they have Lance waiting, he isn't elite but has helped lead his team to a SB. He also fits our offense well, he is good in the short passing game. 

I think most people right now are saying he hasn’t  shown he can be trusted.

Listening to the blue zone podcast they are listing everything that happened in camp. Really forgot how bad it was in camp with injuries. One reason they probably need to give Carson a second chance. The extra work is important. Then they mentioned all the energy it took to get back into it. They are saying they just ran out of gas. Not execuses but reasons. They seem to be indicating once the emotion subsides they will realize that we did a lot of good things this year. Seem to think they also think Wentz will be back when everything that happened is looked back on.

This was really good.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/colts-blue-zone-podcast/id1455540324?i=1000548410467

5 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Listening to the blue zone podcast they are listing everything that happened in camp. Really forgot how bad it was in camp with injuries. One reason they probably need to give Carson a second chance. The extra work is important. Then they mentioned all the energy it took to get back into it. They are saying they just ran out of gas. Not execuses but reasons.

We will see, to me the running out of gas excuse doesn't fly. We were actually playing like a top 5 team in the league after the Zona win. Not really sure what happened but then again nobody does??

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We will see, to me the running out of gas excuse doesn't fly. We were actually playing like a top 5 team in the league after the Zona win. Not really sure what happened but then again nobody does??

Just go listen to it. They talk about everything from the camp situation ect. They are actually making great sense. Dave said if you want to put all the blame on Wentz your a *. He said that twice lol.  It’s nice to have a couple media guys actually use common sense.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/colts-blue-zone-podcast/id1455540324?i=1000548410467

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Just go listen to it. They talk about everything from the camp situation ect. They are actually making great sense. Dave said if you want to put all the blame on Wentz your a *. He said that twice lol.  It’s nice to have a couple media guys actually use common sense.

It isn't all Wentz fault but a franchise QB wouldn't lose 2 games to teams that they are better than, especially to Jacks to clinch a playoff spot. The D deserves some blame no doubt because of the way they just give up the short pass. I mean it is unreal at how many times we have seen them do that. It isn't like they just give up 2 or 3 short passes in a row and get a stop, it is 5 or 6 in row at times. That Ravens game was a nightmare and it kept happening, same against the Jags.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't all Wentz fault but a franchise QB wouldn't lose 2 games to teams that they are better than, especially to Jacks to clinch a playoff spot. The D deserves some blame no doubt because of the way they just give up the short pass. I mean it is unreal at how many times we have seen them do that. It isn't like they just give up 2 or 3 short passes in a row and get a stop, it is 5 or 6 in row at times. That Ravens game was a nightmare and it kept happening, same against the Jags.

The entire team was bad against jags. The entire team was listless. The point they are making is why was the entire team so listless. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Confused by this statement 

Something else they are pointing out is Ballard’s comments on not wanting to bandaid the situation then mentioning Ballard said he wants Wentz  to be the guy. Leaves them to believe Wentz will get another chance, Then going through all the FA QB. Dave is basically making fun of fans for thinking they are going to move on. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't all Wentz's fault, but he played like junk in those last two games. And like you said, you should be able to expect a franchise level QB to lead his team to a win in that situation, not contribute to a loss. 

33 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

OK, gotcha. But when it comes to signing a true difference maker, like Wilson or Rogers, in what scenario do you see the Colts, a team with no 1st round pick, being able to outbid other suitors? 

1 minute ago, masterlock said:

OK, gotcha. But when it comes to signing a true difference maker, like Wilson or Rogers, in what scenario do you see the Colts, a team with no 1st round pick, being able to outbid other suitors? 

Trading future picks and probably trading a player like Hines and even package Wentz in it, not really sure what Seattle would want? We do have 1st round picks in 2023 and 2024. If Wilson really wants out of Seattle than anything is possible. Wentz is a lot better than any back up they have. I am just throwing out hypothetical's because I don't know. Jimmy G is realistic though because SF wants him gone lmao .

2 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

They are setting themselves up for disappointment thinking that will happen.

Nobody is saying it is going to happen, I am throwing out hypothetical's. 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Trading future picks and probably trading a player like Hines and even package Wentz in it, not really sure what Seattle would want? We do have 1st round picks in 2023 and 2024. If Wilson really wants out of Seattle than anything is possible. Wentz is a lot better than any back up they have. I am just throwing out hypothetical's because I don't know. Jimmy G is realistic though because SF wants him gone lmao .

Nobody is saying it is going to happen, I am throwing out hypothetical's. 

Oh there are people who are excited for the possibility believe me. Some willing to give up all our stars for it to happen.

Archived