Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looking ahead to the Pats (merge)

Stephen

37 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Not a single back,   but they have given up over 100 to running backs in a few games this year.    I'm far from guaranteeing a win,   and I know you disagree.   But if BB stacks the box all day, throw short passes to Hines, Doyle, MAC and granson.   Obviously pound Taylor in short yardage.    I hope he doesn't try to force the run on 2nd and long.   Gotta mix it up. I'm not advocating Not running on first down with a loaded box,   but don't try to force it on 2nd and 9

Not sure BB will stack the box on us a ton. I think he'll run blitz to clog gaps, but that's not necessarily a stacked box. 

Officially they're a 3-3-5 most of the time, but Judon (LB) is as big as Paye, and their "star" DB (Dugger) is as big as Darius Leonard's current playing weight. So they can flex just about every way possible (4-2-5, 4-3-4, 5-2-4, 5-3-3) from a first look perspective. I expect to see gap clogging with 5 men like TB did to us, but they can do that without going 8 in the box. 

If they start clogging lanes, I hope we throw early (not all throws) and ease more runs in when BB adjusts to the throws. That's what I would have liked to seen vs TB. Also hope to see more outside runs. 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the game for the Colts to show if they are the real deal or not. No game has had higher stakes this year and I'd argue this is the best overall team they've played against this year (besides the Bucs) with the greatest coach of all time who will attack every weakness that Indy has shown this year.

Put up or shut up.

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Colts are really concentrating on shutting down the run game. Not sure giving away strategy is smart lol.

It is the right game plan and BB knows this already IMO so if Reich told BB before the game, hey we are going to try to stop your run and make your QB beat us, BB would be like - tell me something I don't know.

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Hmm, I'm not familiar with the Pats DBs, so wonder if Strachan could benefit from this. Though we do have other larger WRs with good speed.

It means dbs need to be disciplined when QBs go deep or they will get alot of free yards all game

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

Hmm, I'm not familiar with the Pats DBs, so wonder if Strachan could benefit from this. Though we do have other larger WRs with good speed.

The Patriots have the best CB in the game (JC Jackson), and the best overall secondary. 

If the Patriots stop the run game, this should be a relatively easy Patriot victory.  If Taylor has a great game, should be a victory for the Colts.  

3 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Colts are really concentrating on shutting down the run game. Not sure giving away strategy is smart lol.

Lol apparently when Patriots rush for over 100 yards they win alot to. Our game plan needs to be similar to the saints. We need to force Mac Jones into throwing ints and kept Wentz from turning it over.

2 minutes ago, NFLUp said:

The Patriots have the best CB in the game (JC Jackson), and the best overall secondary. 

If the Patriots stop the run game, this should be a relatively easy Patriot victory.  If Taylor has a great game, should be a victory for the Colts.  

We have to win battle up front

1 minute ago, NFLUp said:

If we are forced to pass more, TY has to have a solid game because I have a feeling BB is going to double Pittman. TY is capable but he is no spring chicken. Our TE's are pretty respectable as a whole, Wentz may use Doyle on a lot of 3rd and shorts. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we are forced to pass more, TY has to have a solid game because I have a feeling BB is going to double Pittman. TY is capable but he is no spring chicken. Our TE's are pretty respectable as a whole, Wentz may use Doyle on a lot of 3rd and shorts. 

BBs likely to double Pitt and put their best on TY.

With that, it'd be up to our RBs, TEs and lack of WR depth to pick up the slack in the passing game.

I won't be surprised if we see a lot of Hines. Seems he'd be a mismatch for their LBs.

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

With that, it'd be up to our RBs, TEs and lack of WR depth to pick up the slack in the passing game.

I won't be surprised if we see a lot of Hines. Seems he'd be a mismatch for their LBs.

Yeah I brought Hines up a few days ago in here. This is the type of game he can shine no doubt. He and Doyle both may have big games. I can see Doyle having 3 or 4 catches on 3rd and 5's for example. I can see Hines having 1 or 2 explosive long plays that changes the game.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am not sure what BB would get from Hardknocks.

Since BB leaves no stone unturned and has the record to prove his methods work (whether you like his methods or not) I wouldn't be surprised if he finds some little piece of info that he thinks is helpful.  A game can turn on one play.  

Alright, someone tell me this, what is our counter to their jumbo 6 OL and 2 TE line up with 1 WR, especially if those 2 TEs are good pass catchers like Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith, given our weaknesses covering TEs?

That line up will pose a lot of issues and I expect a lot of POSSE formations from the Patriots with 2 TEs (with 5 or 6 OL) lined up and unless they fall behind on the scoreboard, they won't be using 3 WRs as much (ACE), IMO.

17 hours ago, buccolts said:

Yeah, Corey Clement caught a TD from Foles in that SB, both Doug Pederson and Frank Reich would like to put the pressure on their safeties and LBs to cover with pass catching RBs. So, making them go to Plan B is to make them use 3 safeties, which they will by default for this game, IMO. In that formation, we can use Hines a little bit, but if we can make them go to Plan C using 3 LBs by running well against 3 safeties, you introduce Hines even more. The goal should be to make them go to 3 LBs and if they refuse to do so, run it down their safeties' throats constantly.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Alright, someone tell me this, what is our counter to their jumbo 6 OL and 2 TE line up with 1 WR, especially if those 2 TEs are good pass catchers like Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith, given our weaknesses covering TEs?

That line up will pose a lot of issues and I expect a lot of POSSE formations from the Patriots with 2 TEs (with 5 or 6 OL) lined up and unless they fall behind on the scoreboard, they won't be using 3 WRs as much (ACE), IMO.

I expect them to use 6 lineman a lot so they can continue to run the ball. It’s going to be hard to stop it. 

Frank Reich determined from a press conference comment that the Jags were likely to play a ton of zone coverage against us. Normally that would be picked up from film study, so it's probably not a revelation. But it's possible that, because they were adjusting their defensive approach on the fly, that the film was showing a healthy mix of coverages, and that might have been something that the staff needed to spend some more time working on. And Urban Meyer's comment just clarified it for them.

So yeah, maybe you get something from a mostly innocuous comment here and there. 

But honestly, Reich speaks to the media several times a week, and the coordinators speak weekly, and certain players speak regularly. Those pressers are probably a much better source of information than anything that's been said on Hard Knocks so far. And there isn't much that's said in pressers, IMO.

I don't think this is anything to spend time worrying about.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Score points. Force them to open up their offense. I think we'll get the ball first, and if we get a first quarter lead like we've been doing basically every game, then we can take some punches from their run game. But our offense has to keep scoring.

Also, their Posse formation isn't as lethal as it was with Gronk, who blocks like a lineman. Henry/Smith are no slouches, but they aren't Gronk. 

Lastly, when they do pass, the pass rush has to get pressure.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't know if this is good or bad? Maybe Wentz should throw deep a few times and try and get a flag. Having said that I have always felt the Pats get a lot of calls so our defeneders need to be alert to this.

It also depends on the pats DB. If they aren’t prone to PI It may not work. SF was prone to those PI calls.

57 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Star Wars GIF

Not feeling it right now guys. The best way to beat the Patriots is through smart, perfectly executed football. I'm worried we're going to make too many mistakes trying to outsmart them. History has not been our side in that regard this season. 

B57EFEB1-566A-406E-AB20-075ADA5280CA.jpeg

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really didn't know our ranking regarding that, by the eye test we aren't that bad but statistics say otherwise. Where our D scares me is, we give up way too many easy short passes and Mac is great at those throws.

He can hit most throws.. but yes he excels at the shirt to intermediate range 

Archived