Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who was better

Arodgers12

2005 could have been magical, but Polian's bizarre attitude toward going undefeated sucked the life and energy out of the end of the season.  Up until Polian made his thoughts known on going undefeated, it was the most fun I've ever had watching football.  

We then got the sequel in 2009.  

People, including myself, should have seen the stunning first-round upset coming.  The Colts were playing to win in week 14 and couldn't beat San Diego.  Then Dungy's son dies.  It's totally unrealistic to expect someone to coach effectively with that on his mind.  Then a team that gets hot at the right time and basically plays exactly the style of football that the Colts couldn't handle 3 weeks prior comes into town on a mission.

It was a devastating loss, but should not have been an unexpected one.

2005 was a superior team from top to bottom.  The 2006 team found mojo, the 2005 team found sensationally bad luck.

37 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Yeah, 05 (with Edge) may have been the best Colts team ever.  

That was the best offense I had ever seen up until that point and the most fun Ive ever had as a football fan. It was also the most crushing end to a season I ever had to endure.

I was absolutely convinced we were gonna take it that year and when we didnt, it took me awhile to get over it.

13 hours ago, #12. said:

2005 could have been magical, but Polian's bizarre attitude toward going undefeated sucked the life and energy out of the end of the season.  Up until Polian made his thoughts known on going undefeated, it was the most fun I've ever had watching football.  

I think that applied more to 2009 than 2005.  In 2005, Dungy's son committed suicide in late December and I think that greatly affected the team.  If that tragedy doesn't happen, I really think we would have won it all in 2005.  

8 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

I think that applied more to 2009 than 2005.  In 2005, Dungy's son committed suicide in late December and I think that greatly affected the team.  If that tragedy doesn't happen, I really think we would have won it all in 2005.  

The Colts starters hardly played in a month. The FO chose to rest and keep out key starters to avoid potential injuries. The Colts came out rusty and it showed. 

The Dungy stuff is ridiculous in my opinion. 

IIRC, the 2006 team benefited from meeting teams in the playoffs and SB that did not have great QBs.  Freeney and Mathis focused more on the running game than they typically did, so we shut down the opponent's O pretty well.

It was kind of a lucky streak of pairings.  The 05 team was better.  I guess God gave the 2006 team a better pathway to the SB because of it.....

In the SB, we faced Rex Grossman, and the Bears best dlineman, their 3T Tommie Harris, did not play.  another lucky break for that 06 team.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:  Freeney and Mathis focused more on the running game than they typically did, so we shut down the opponent's O pretty well.

Getting Sanders back was obviously huge during the playoff run, but Rob Morris was also moved to the Strong-side, which I think significantly helped with the run defense. 

2006 was:

#1 - They won the SB by beating Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Steve McNair in Baltimore (Divisional Round), then they beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in the AFC Title Game. In the SB they beat a Bears team that had the best D and SP Teams in the NFL.

#2 - That team had Adam Vinatieri meaning the SP Teams were simply better, more clutch. He made 5 FG's in that Divisional Round at Baltimore.

#3 - We did start 9-0 so it wasn't like we weren't undefeated for a long time.

#4 - Counting the Playoffs we were 10-0 at home. Great teams take care of their home games, in 2005 we were 7-2.

#5 - We were a smarter team in 2006, learned from our mistakes in 2003-2005.

#6 - I honestly think we were a better team going running back by committee with Addai and Rhodes, we could keep each fresh and teams just couldn't key on 1 RB. + we had Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark dead smack in their prime and Marvin was still Marvin.

#7 - The Defensive stats are misleading vs the run because Bob Sanders missed 12 games in 2006. We were still #2 in the league in pass defense. When Bob came back teams couldn't run on us in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2006 was:

#1 - They won the SB by beating Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Steve McNair in Baltimore (Divisional Round), then they beat Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in the AFC Title Game. In the SB they beat a Bears team that had the best D and SP Teams in the NFL.

#2 - That team had Adam Vinatieri meaning the SP Teams were simply better, more clutch. He made 5 FG's in that Divisional Round at Baltimore.

#3 - We did start 9-0 so it wasn't like we weren't undefeated for a long time.

#4 - Counting the Playoffs we were 10-0 at home. Great teams take care of their home games, in 2005 we were 7-2.

#5 - We were a smarter team in 2006, learned from our mistakes in 2003-2005.

#6 - I honestly think we were a better team going running back by committee with Addai and Rhodes, we could keep each fresh and teams just couldn't key on 1 RB. + we had Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark dead smack in their prime and Marvin was still Marvin.

#7 - The Defensive stats are misleading vs the run because Bob Sanders missed 12 games in 2006. We were still #2 in the league in pass defense. When Bob came back teams couldn't run on us in the playoffs.

#2 in pass defense playing a vanilla Tampa 2 defense.

What was the difference? 

Freeney and Mathis made it work.

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

#2 in pass defense playing a vanilla Tampa 2 defense.

What was the difference? 

Freeney and Mathis made it work.

Yeah. In order to play that type of defense you need to put major pressure on the QB or it won't work. With Freeney and Mathis we had that. The problem with our team today is we aren't getting much pressure on the QB and getting picked part on short passes.

I don't think too many would argue that the 3 best teams we have ever had here in Indy were 2005, 2006, and 2009. I just always put 2006 1st because we won the SB and had a magical run in the playoffs against a strong AFC. Outside of the Peyton era, our best teams were 1995 and 2014 (2 AFC Title Game runs). We should've been in the SB in 1995 (shoddy Pitt Refs), in 2014 Luck put up huge numbers in an 11-5 season and we won at Milehigh in the Divisional Round but we just had nothing for the Pats. The Pats owned us unfortunately. Had the 2014 team had any kind of running game we may had a chance against them.

12 hours ago, DougDew said:

IIRC, the 2006 team benefited from meeting teams in the playoffs and SB that did not have great QBs.  Freeney and Mathis focused more on the running game than they typically did, so we shut down the opponent's O pretty well.

It was kind of a lucky streak of pairings.  The 05 team was better.  I guess God gave the 2006 team a better pathway to the SB because of it.....

In the SB, we faced Rex Grossman, and the Bears best dlineman, their 3T Tommie Harris, did not play.  another lucky break for that 06 team.

We played Tom Brady in the AFC Title Game and Steve McNair still had good game for Baltimore.

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, I still remember how quiet and deflated our SB party got when we all watched Hester take the opening kickoff back for a TD on SB XLI. 

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

Dungy said he changed his mind at the last minute deciding to kick off to him, Woops!

12 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, I still remember how quiet and deflated our SB party got when we all watched Hester take the opening kickoff back for a TD on SB XLI. 

seinfeld-jerry-seinfeld.gif

My one crap memory from the SB ... And still vividly remember Jim Nance to this day...

Hand off to Jones.... Thomas Jones dancing into the secondary (as he busted that long run)... Lol

On 11/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We played Tom Brady in the AFC Title Game and Steve McNair still had good game for Baltimore.

By that time in his career, McNair was on the decline and was the equivalent of Trent Dilfer.  The Colts could focus on stopping the run.  And Freeney always matched up well against their all pro LT.  My point was that BALT was a very good draw for us.  This was still when Rivers and Ben, combined with their running game and 34 defense, would give us fits.

We got a good draw in the SB too, with Grossman as the QB and Tommie Harris out.

On 11/16/2021 at 5:28 PM, #12. said:

You're confusing that with 2009

Archived