Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Titans at Colts Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

Please don't compare Wentz to Luck. There is no comparison. One was legit superstar of a QB who was making wonders with horrendous rosters, the other one is... well... Wentz. 

Never said their talent level is the same, but both have the same characteristic of never giving up on a play, not exercising discretion which at times is their best trait but also their downfall.

Also Luck had a tendency even in his last season with us of a bonehead INT by forcing something that wasnt there.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I truly believe there is talent on defense, I just think we don't use it our scheme is great against the run but a liability against the pass which would work 20 years ago but we will never win games against good QBs 

outside of buckner leonard and moore it gets very bare . colts rank 32 in pressures there is zero rush at all .  corners are bad bobby is up and down so is blackmon

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Wentz plays well when coached well. And that means the right play calling and game plans. We all know he gets in trouble when either he 1) has to play hero ball, or 2) doesn't have good protection. Frank gave him no balance after the early part of the game, and put everything on his back. Forget that you're also taking the ball out of your best offensive player (JT), but your just putting Wentz into a bad position.

I'll take a good play caller + Wentz, and be 100% fine with it. The two games vs TN feels exactly like when Frank was with the Chargers and had the worst balance in the NFL.

I mean... the only success Wentz has ever had was under Frank. Not sure what good coaching would be for Wentz. Just assuming a random new coach would 1. want to take on the job of fixing Wentz' problems. 2. be successful at it when noone before was able to... is pretty questionable IMO. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Why don’t you read my posts like the one where I said I am where I am not selling on Wentz but you’d have to be a fool to say he’s blameless today.

Yeah, well perhaps you should weigh the blame out amongst everyone. If the coach is to blame explain why Brady won a Super Bowl last year while Hoody watched. 

Just now, King Colt said:

Yeah, well perhaps you should weigh the blame out amongst everyone. If the coach is to blame explain why Brady won a Super Bowl last year while Hoody watched. 

You mean like I’ve been saying there were multiple people to blame?  Again trying reading people’s posts.

34 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It’s like Frank has performance anxiety.

Usually scripted plays are beautiful. And I genuinely believe he’s a bright guy. But once the game gets going, it’s like he gets in his own way. 

I'm hearing and reading all these complaints about Reich but i'm yet to see someone give an example of the coach who doesn't make the same errors. 

I'll once again be waiting.

Note - I'm in KC where the team's best defender just called out their fan base for being the most toxic in sports :D

Folks, Reich dient force Carson to stare down #11 and then throw into triple coverage while two other wides were running free as birds

4 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I really like Reich as a man.   However, with each passing season I realize that I don't care for him much as our head coach.  I do not see us ever winning a Super Bowl with him.  

I remember Philly fans saying similar about Andy Reid who's now heralded as a genius....well, not this season. This season fans have gone back to the pitchforks with him.

1 minute ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont know about all of sports but they are really bad, i have noticed that myself.  The eagles are up there too

Nah, fans EVERYWHERE are pretty bad. The more outspoken and rabid a fanbase is, the more they appear to be toxic. I'm yet to meet a rational fanbase. Fan = FANATIC.

It's part of what makes sports so dang interesting and draws us all in. Truth is, there are many other things to do in life but here we are. Toxicity and fanaticism go together. Fans largely can be right but are also notoriously fickle and dont know what they're talking about. I saw folks trash #18 when he was still in his prime here and that's a man who was as good as it gets. The talk about him being a choker didnt start nationally.

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

I mean... the only success Wentz has ever had was under Frank. Not sure what good coaching would be for Wentz. Just assuming a random new coach would 1. want to take on the job of fixing Wentz' problems. 2. be successful at it when noone before was able to... is pretty questionable IMO. 

Reich never called plays in Philly. The only place he ever called plays at was LAC. And he got fired for having the worst balance in the league, which ironically has happened in the two games vs TN.

The only issues Wentz has really had this year are a few turnovers.  Even after today, he'll have less INTs than 25 QBs.

9 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

outside of buckner leonard and moore it gets very bare . colts rank 32 in pressures there is zero rush at all .  corners are bad bobby is up and down so is blackmon

We could have Nick Bosa and TJ Watt on this team and I still think we would have pressure problems, just because we are unimaginative about our DL use and our coverage is so soft, the QB always has a receiver open that he can dump it off to for 5+ yards. 

Our defensive scheme is archaic 

My thoughts, this season is done.  Need to manufacture a reason to bench Wentz and save the pick. For some reason though 

I don't even feel that will be enough to save next year.

Secondly I wonder what needs to happen to make this team respectable again because right now the team is an embarrassment.  

I remember when we had Peyton Manning and  then Andrew Luck and this team was great.  I wonder if we will ever be that good again and what it will take.  It doesn't feel like this team is even close to being that good again.

I also don't enjoy watching the disappointing product that the organization puts out there for us. I hate having my Sunday ruined by this team.

8 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Nah, fans EVERYWHERE are pretty bad. The more outspoken and rabid a fanbase is, the more they appear to be toxic. I'm yet to meet a rational fanbase. Fan = FANATIC.

It's part of what makes sports so dang interesting and draws us all in. Truth is, there are many other things to do in life but here we are. Toxicity and fanaticism go together. Fans largely can be right but are also notoriously fickle and dont know what they're talking about. I saw folks trash #18 when he was still in his prime here and that's a man who was as good as it gets. The talk about him being a choker ididnt start nationally.

i say that based on their forums, the chiefs one is really bad.  Its more than the typical salt and trolling you always see in these places.  

They threaten other posters all the time, wish injuries on players (sometimes on their own team) etc...

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Reich never called plays in Philly. The only place he ever called plays at was LAC. And he got fired for having the worst balance in the league, which ironically has happened in the two games vs TN.

The only issues Wentz has really had this year are a few turnovers.  Even after today, he'll have less INTs than 25 QBs.

I wonder if Ballard is seeing the problems with the play calling and if so would he make him give it up.

Just now, BlackTiger said:

i say that based on their forums, the chiefs one is really bad.  Its more than the typical salt and trolling you always see in these places.  

They threaten other posters all the time, wish injuries on players etc...

I dunno brother, i've lived in many cities across this country. KC's fans are fiercely loyal, even through the big droughts, i've never thought of them as being anything other than vocal and loyal. Royals and Chiefs fans. 

Maybe you mean online, in which case that is possible but i dont put as much stock in online actions, maybe i should.

32 minutes ago, krunk said:

We need a #2 target besides Pittman. TY isnt it.

This area in particular demonstrates Ballard’s unwillingness to use free agency to fill roster spots. Today’s NFL team building requires  both the Draft and Free Agency. A lot of Colts got paid, including Reich and Ballard. Irsay needs to make them accountable.

14 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

I'm hearing and reading all these complaints about Reich but i'm yet to see someone give an example of the coach who doesn't make the same errors. 

I'll once again be waiting.

Note - I'm in KC where the team's best defender just called out their fan base for being the most toxic in sports :D

Folks, Reich dient force Carson to stare down #11 and then throw into triple coverage while two other wides were running free as birds

He called a screen on the goaline. The idea of a screen is to allow rushers thru and screen behind them. Again, he was on the goaline. 

Carson Wentz had 4 players in his face before he knew what happened.

You think all coachea are that clueless?

Youre wrong.

First off the stingyness of carries for Taylor and some dumb decisions by Wentz were the primary causes for this debacle.

However, a couple of plays really hurt in the first half:

1.  The fumbled interception.  It was one of those turnaround type plays.

2.  The &$$#%# penalty on Smith which basically was a turnover and wiped out a beautiful 20 yard run. 

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I wonder if Ballard is seeing the problems with the play calling and if so would he make him give it up.

If Ballard did that, he'd need to be fired too. Reich is better than most coaches in the league. Every week, he routinely makes some of the top game winning calls. Routinely.

Lets not let media narrative drive us here, or fanaticism. We could do WAY worse than Reich. Again, i'm waiting for folks to name this miracle coach they want so i can rip that narrative to shreds.

Hopefully, it's not Mike Vrabel's name that comes up lol.

We lost because the QB put the ball in the air over 50 times and was terribly bad doing it. If he threw it 50x while looking like he did v Baltimore, we'd have been fine. My grouse with Reich today is Wentz put the ball in the air that many times when it was clear from the gitgo that the QBs accuracy was spotty on the day.

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

He called a screen on the goaline. The idea of a screen is to allow rushers thru and screen behind them. Again, he was on the goaline. 

Carson Wentz had 4 players in his face before he knew what happened.

You think all coachea are that clueless?

Youre wrong.

Yeah, and he owned the decision at least. He had a couple spotty decisions today, that was a high risk high potential reward call. We didnt lose because of them though. And yes, go down the list, every coach has a dodgy decision like that. Every single one. Vrabel was challenging a third down call because WHY? And i think Vrabel is a top 10 coach in the league yet he consistently makes mind bending calls every week. The Titans have won the AFCS under him though and so good on him.

Go down the list, maybe coaching should be better but Reich is top 10-12 coaches in the league today. Easily.

1 hour ago, Hark said:

To be fair, I am in Mexico this week so didn't get to see today's game. But there are only 17 games in a season so I try to just enjoy each one for what it is, entertainment. Whether the Colts are great or terrible doesn't significantly impact the quality of my life, nor should it. I realize some folks get a lot more wrapped up in the Ws and Ls than I do, but I will go to work tomorrow and live my life the same way with absolutely no regard over what happened to my favorite team on Sunday.

Man, I wish I could be more like you. This loss will practically ruin my next 2-3 days. It shouldn’t….and I know that’s my own choice but boy do I feel these losses deep in my soul. 

27 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think Ballard really needs to get him better and much more durable recievers. I think on that last INT, Pittman was the only guy Wentz had confidence in throwing to, and ended up staring him down. Dulin and Pascal aren't going to get it done at this level and they both had bad drops in the 4th quarter. Going into the season with the injury-prone Hilton and Campbell as your #2 and #3 was a risk that Ballard took, and it's backfired massively (along with the inexperience at DE). Ultimately, our passsing offense can't keep relying on 100 yards worth PI per game.

5 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

If Ballard did that, he'd need to be fired too. Reich is better than most coaches in the league. Every week, he routinely makes some of the top game winning calls. Routinely.

Lets not let media narrative drive us here, or fanaticism. We could do WAY worse than Reich. Again, i'm waiting for folks to name this miracle coach they want so i can rip that narrative to shreds.

Hopefully, it's not Mike Vrabel's name that comes up lol.

We lost because the QB put the ball in the air over 50 times and was terribly bad doing it. If he threw it 50x while looking like he did v Baltimore, we'd have been fine. My grouse with Reich today is Wentz put the ball in the air that many times when it was clear from the gitgo that the QBs accuracy was spotty on the day.

Yeah, and he owned the decision at least. He had a couple spotty decisions today, that was a high risk high potential reward call. We didnt lose because of them though. And yes, go down the list, every coach has a dodgy decision like that. Every single one. Vrabel was challenging a third down call because WHY? And i think Vrabel is a top 10 coach in the league yet he consistently makes mind bending calls every week. The Titans have won the AFCS under him though and so good on him.

Go down the list, maybe coaching should be better but Reich is top 10-12 coaches in the league today. Easily.

Field position. It was a great challenge. 

Thats good coaching. He won. 10 yards of field position can be the difference between 3 points and a punt. Again, hes trying to correct a mistake by the officials. Brown clearly caught the ball. And he is actually valuing field position, like someone who knows its important. 

I dont care if he owns it after the game. If he doesnt learn his lesson and stop thinking hes smarter than everyone, then its just talk. Owning it means you learn from it and stop.

And no every coach doesnt make these catastrophic mistakes, consistently. I cant think of another good coach that does much at all.

Coaches mistakes are bad gameplans, failed adjustments and poor play calls. They arent typically rolling the dice and failing to factor in the consequences. 

1 hour ago, Dobbinblitz said:

Some of this is on Ballard for lack of roster building at the WR position. Hilton is cooked, and Campbell has always been made of glass. Pascal and Dulin were practice squad players. We lack a truly dynamic TE.  You could tell Wentz was trying to get the ball out of his hands but, there was little to no separation. Pittman has been excellent. The Defense did there part for us to win today.

With Campbell out again this year, at season’s end he will have played in 14 games over 3 seasons (a possible 50 games).  In that span, he has 34 receptions for 360 yards.

Grrr…

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Reich is looking inward, and admitting to mistakes (admitted to two today, and also did the same vs Baltimore).

Ballard has seen what's happened in several games. He's heard Frank admit things publicly, so you have to imagine frank has also throw himself under the bus to Ballard. 

So if you're Ballard, how many times do you let your HC continue to do things even he admits are game altering mistakes. 

IDK what that answer is, but if you're Irsay, you expect Ballard to manage the problem. And it's a problem right now. Like any good manager, (I think Ballard is likely a good manager), I'm sure the conversations are clear and the expectations defined. If it's loosey goosey, then that's on Ballard.

I had hoped that Reich would simply learn from his mistakes, but we're seeing repetitive behavior. So logical that Ballard has seen that too. If not, perhaps he needs to look inward too. 

I still just wish Frank would give up play calling. I'd buy into that and try to embrace him again. I still really like him as a person, as a leader, and as a face for the franchise. I just don't think he's a great play caller / tactician. Give Brady a shot. 

9 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think Ballard really needs to get him better and much more durable recievers. I think on that last INT, Pittman was the only guy Wentz had confidence in throwing to, and ended up staring him down. Dulin and Pascal aren't going to get it done at this level and they both had bad drops in the 4th quarter. Going into the season with the injury-prone Hilton and Campbell as your #2 and #3 was a risk that Ballard took, and it's backfired massively (along with the inexperience at DE). Ultimately, our passsing offense can't keep relying on 100 yards worth PI per game.

He should have never been in a position where he felt like he had to force things. Play calling is far more egregious right now than WR play. We have guys right now that we're underutilizing like Mo IMO. We do a lot of rinse/repeat. I see overall a lack of creativity and just plain bad play calling. And I see personnel usage as part of the problem too. Why have Granson running a sweep or whatever that was. And why use Dulin like a possession WR. Why not use him on slants and more slot type routes. Why have JT on the bench during critical plays and series. Why not flood the RZ with bigs at times.

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Reich is looking inward, and admitting to mistakes (admitted to two today, and also did the same vs Baltimore).

Ballard has seen what's happened in several games. He's heard Frank admit things publicly, so you have to imagine frank has also throw himself under the bus to Ballard. 

So if you're Ballard, how many times do you let your HC continue to do things even he admits are game altering mistakes. 

IDK what that answer is, but if you're Irsay, you expect Ballard to manage the problem. And it's a problem right now. Like any good manager, (I think Ballard is likely a good manager), I'm sure the conversations are clear and the expectations defined. If it's loosey goosey, then that's on Ballard.

I had hoped that Reich would simply learn from his mistakes, but we're seeing repetitive behavior. So logical that Ballard has seen that too. If not, perhaps he needs to look inward too. 

I still just wish Frank would give up play calling. I'd buy into that and try to embrace him again. I still really like him as a person, as a leader, and as a face for the franchise. I just don't think he's a great play caller / tactician. Give Brady a shot. 

The big problem is if you let Reich go your letting Wentz go. Then your looking at a total rebuild.  

Archived