Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts one of lowest vaccinated rates in the NFL

Dogg63

12 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Although I believe it’s a personal choice I am really upset at this. Why do players want to keep having all the protocols. Fans have every right to be mad because what happened in that Titans game can happen again. Could cost us the division. Teams need to be 85% vaccinated for protocols in each facility to be lifted.  

Darius and his wife have been posting all kinds of anti vaccine stuff on their IG stories These players shoot the selves up with crap all the time and they are worried about a vaccine.

This could turn into a competitive advantage. Hopefully this changes once played have to be in the facility everyday getting tested and wearing mask. Not to mention not being able to eat with your teammates if your not vaccinated.

Get off your moral high horse.  It is a personal choice, get over it.  If vaccines work and you got the vaccine, you are protected.  If someone had Covid and survived, they have the antibodies for it and just as likely as the vaccinated to be protected.  Why worry about what others do?  Or are you intent on telling others how to live their lives?  

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Transparency:  I am vaccinated and a very science oriented person. 

This is a bit surprising to me, especially since the culture and emphasis on "family" is discussed here often. It really is so interesting to me how polarizing of a topic this is for people. Getting the vaccination is without a doubt a choice but I'm genuinely curious about an individuals reasoning on not doing it. Not for judgement but to simply better understand their perspective and where they are coming from.

A couple of my friends are against it but their reasons seem more influenced by social media rather than forming their own opinion by reputable sources. Asking them any sort of question on their stance devolves into defensive attitudes or half-baked thoughts. I'm sure these NFL players have been provided all of the appropriate information and I can only imagine the pressure the NFL is putting on them. I assume many of them actually have solid reasons or at least I would hope so. 

All in all, you can only control certain things in life. A person's choices and actions are not one of them. This may impact us in the season but it may not. 

I think when anything gets this politicized, it makes it hard to get past that.  Then there were the anti-vaxers that existed before it became politicized and are still anti-vax.

Some people tell me because it isn't fda approved.  It will be interesting to see if they go get it once it is fda approved or if that was just a convenient excuse.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's not even a discussion.  Here's where it matters - You have an UDFA or a ST guy just trying to make the team.  He's competing with at least one other guy for that spot. You think they're pretty evenly matched up.  One guy is vaccinated, one is not. 

Which one makes the team?  

The one that fits the team better, the better player.  It's that simple.  There's a whole bunch of chicken littles on this site.  "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" is now updated to "You must get vaccinated, you must get vaccinated."

16 minutes ago, indyman411 said:

The one that fits the team better, the better player.  It's that simple.  There's a whole bunch of chicken littles on this site.  "The sky is falling, the sky is falling" is now updated to "You must get vaccinated, you must get vaccinated."

I'm not arguing for either side of the vaccination choice.  I'm stating a fact as presented by the NFL and asking a legitimate question with what I think is an obvious answer.  

You changed the question - It's if two players are equally evaluated (and if you ever watched Hard Knocks, this happens with every team making final cuts) - one is vaccinated, one is not.  Which one makes the team?

Remember the cliche about one of the greatest abilities - availability.  

17 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Transparency:  I am vaccinated and a very science oriented person. 

This is a bit surprising, especially since the culture and emphasis on "family" is discussed here often. It really is so interesting to me how polarizing of a topic this is for people. Getting the vaccination is without a doubt a choice but I'm genuinely curious about an individuals reasoning on not doing it. Not for judgement but to simply better understand their perspective and where they are coming from.

A couple of my friends are against it but their reasons seem more influenced by social media rather than forming their own opinion by reputable sources. Asking them any sort of question on their stance devolves into defensive attitudes or half-baked thoughts. I'm sure these NFL players have been provided all of the appropriate information and I can only imagine the pressure the NFL is putting on them. I assume many of them actually have solid reasons or at least I would hope so. 

All in all, you can only control certain things in life. A person's choices and actions are not one of them. This may impact us in the season but it may not. 

Maybe because I haven't been sick since this Virus came out in 2020 nor nobody close to me has been sick either as in my mom or close friends. I know several people that haven't got the vaccine for many reasons. The survival rate if you do get Covid-19 is like 99.6% and like me many people are waiting to see what effects the vaccine has on the people that have had it. To me it is easy to understand why some people are reluctant to get it. You are getting something injected into your body that in reality you don't know everything about. It's a matter of trusting it and some don't 100% trust it, pretty simple.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, from my personal experience.  I changed my lifestyle little and never got the virus.  I wore masks because I thought it made sense, not because some ignorant scientist recommended it.  I got the vaccine because I tend to get flu shots when they are available, and never felt one side effect.

Basically, nothing that the news reports and internet were discussing to be prevalent everywhere,  entered my life one bit.

IMO, if god came down and said this pandemic was a simple media creation to oust a sitting president, I would have no evidence to show that it wasn't true.  Other than a ton of news reports and hearsay from others.

Simply ignoring trendiness is usually the best policy.  Maybe that's what the players believe.  They are free to have that opinion.

I have never had a flu shot either and when I tell people that, you should hear some of the responses I get lmao . You have to get that, etc. etc.. I haven't had a bad cold in 20 years.

8 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not arguing for either side of the vaccination choice.  I'm stating a fact as presented by the NFL and asking a legitimate question with what I think is an obvious answer.  

You changed the question - It's if two players are equally evaluated (and if you ever watched Hard Knocks, this happens with every team making final cuts) - one is vaccinated, one is not.  Which one makes the team?

Remember the cliche about one of the greatest abilities - availability.  

I was actually thinking this yesterday. If you have two players your deciding from your probably going to pick the vaccinated player if everything else is equal. If covid ruined the season because of missed games it could also cost coaches or players their jobs.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was actually thinking this yesterday. If you have two players your deciding from your probably going to pick the vaccinated player if everything else is equal. If covid ruined the season because of missed games it could also cost coaches or players their jobs.

I'm staying away from the choice argument.  But this is pretty obvious, isn't it?

The players on the peripherals need to do whatever it takes to make the team.  That's the way it's always been.  You're always looking for an advantage.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I did edit my post, it is hear, not here :funny:. No I respect where you coming from :thmup:

And to be clear.  I wore masks when I thought it made sense and got the Moderna vaccine primarily because it was convenient.  Neither was guided by ideology, which is what seems to be the primary energy behind most of the thinking, IMO.

I assume the Colts players are looking at the data to see what direction to take.  No reason to jump to a decision.

2 minutes ago, indyman411 said:

No disrespect intended here, but if you are truly science oriented, then you would understand the actual science around Covid, not the media scare tactic hype.  The survival rate of Covid is 99+%, especially when you get treated with hydroxychloroquine, zinc, & azithromiazine (spelling?).  If a person has got and survived Covid, they have antibodies to protect them from it.  I am okay with others making whatever choice works for them.  Forcing a vaccination on people with such a high rate of survivablilty seems odd.  Also, this is a dangerous slope to go down, what's next?  People no longer can choose what foods to eat, where to live, what to wear?  IMO, those with pre-existing conditions that make it difficult to survive should get vaccinated, those without those pre-existing conditions, do not need to get it, but can if they choose.  

As a science oriented person, I trust the information that is published by scientists, doctors and epidemiologists. Most of whom, have strong opinions on getting vaccinated backed up by their knowledge and findings. I don't disagree that the high survival rate is a strong argument against but that is simply one variable in a larger equation. There are so many other factors. Like vaccine efficacy and unknown long term impacts of both COVID or the vaccine. e.g. the potential long-term impacts on respiratory health for someone who was infected, the disparity in impacts across blood types and ethnicities, etc. 

My choice in getting the vaccine was a risk-assessment. I felt there was less risk and way more benefits in getting a vaccine that was developed, tested and deployed by a group of individuals that will know more about the cellular structure of our bodies than I ever will.

I can understand a persons hesitancy on that but that is why I bolded it's a choice. I don't force my beliefs the vaccine on anyone, 

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm staying away from the choice argument.  But this is pretty obvious, isn't it?

The players on the peripherals need to do whatever it takes to make the team.  That's the way it's always been.  You're always looking for an advantage.

Especially if that decision gets a team to 85% if the players vaccinated and they can lift protocols. It’s the players on the edge of mdd add kind the team that need to worry.

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

That's not even a discussion.  Here's where it matters - You have an UDFA or a ST guy just trying to make the team.  He's competing with at least one other guy for that spot. You think they're pretty evenly matched up.  One guy is vaccinated, one is not. 

Which one makes the team?  

Probably the vaccinated guy would make it because of the way things are now in the league. Having said that no clear cut starter is getting cut because they don't have the shot. For NFL players it does benefit them in a lot of ways to get the shot/vaccine because of things mentioned earlier by other posters.

Anyone that is totally fine with so few players getting vaccinated better not issue a single peep when our players start getting held out due to COVID protocol.  You forfeit your right to be upset if it costs us the division or the playoffs when every other team is taking the smart, competitive advantage approach.

Why keep testing for the % anyway? Everyone who wants the vaccine has had the opportunity to get it. If someone develops symptoms then test them and isolate them but not sure why we need to continue worrying about it. People die from the flu too but we aren't testing people for that or requiring vaccinations either. It's a personal choice whether to vaccinate or not. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Maybe because I haven't been sick since this Virus came out in 2020 nor nobody close to me has been sick either as in my mom or close friends. I know several people that haven't got the vaccine for many reasons. The survival rate if you do get Covid-19 is like 99.6% and like me many people are waiting to see what effects the vaccine has on the people that have had it. To me it is easy to understand why some people are reluctant to get it. You are getting something injected into your body that in reality you don't know everything about. It's a matter of trusting it and some don't 100% trust it, pretty simple.

Definitely understandable. I was never sick and am a relatively healthy 30-something. Survival rates aside, the variability in a person's immune response to COVID19 and the unknown long-term impacts were two of my biggest drivers. Both the long-term impacts (if any) of COVID19 and the vaccine are not fully understood at this time. It'll be easy to play Monday Morning QB in 10-15 years to see how things pan out. Right now it's up to each person to educate themselves and make the decision they feel is best. 

11 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

As a science oriented person, I trust the information that is published by scientists, doctors and epidemiologists. Most of whom, have strong opinions on getting vaccinated backed up by their knowledge and findings. I don't disagree that the high survival rate is a strong argument against but that is simply one variable in a larger equation. There are so many other factors. Like vaccine efficacy and unknown long term impacts of both COVID or the vaccine. e.g. the potential long-term impacts on respiratory health for someone who was infected, the disparity in impacts across blood types and ethnicities, etc. 

My choice in getting the vaccine was a risk-assessment. I felt there was less risk and way more benefits in getting a vaccine that was developed, tested and deployed by a group of individuals that will know more about the cellular structure of our bodies than I ever will.

I can understand a persons hesitancy on that but that is why I bolded it's a choice. I don't force my beliefs the vaccine on anyone, 

I respect that. I could probably get the vaccine tomorrow and be fine. I am just waiting a little longer for more data to come out regarding the people who have had it.

16 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What makes me mad is all the conspiracy  stuff and propaganda out there. Leonard has been posting a lot of conspiracy stuff about the vaccine. It does no good when someone needs real facts and is trying to make a decision.  Nobody trusts leaders anymore because they have lied ECT. It’s all sad.

But facts are not really what you read.   Facts tend to be what you experience.  Some people simply place more trust in things they read than others.

I got the vaccine primarily because my wife wanted me to and it was convenient.  If I was single I likely would not have bothered.

I'm 60 years old and go to the doctor for an annual physical.  I have had one doctor's appointment outside of the routine checkup and have never been admitted to a hospital.  Reading what happens to others doesn't register on the scale of priorities for many.  Some may have underlying health problems that factor into their point of view or just plain hypochondria ( a form of conspiracy thinking) that doesn't show up in stuff that you read. 

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But facts are not really what you read.   Facts tend to be what you experience.  Some people simply place more trust in things they read than others.

I got the vaccine primarily because my wife wanted me to and it was convenient.  If I was single I likely would not have bothered.

I'm 60 years old and go to the doctor for an annual physical.  I have had one doctor's appointment outside of the routine checkup and have never been admitted to a hospital.  Reading what happens to others doesn't register on the scale of priorities for many.  Some may have underlying health problems that factor into their point of view or just plain hypochondria ( a form of conspiracy thinking) that doesn't show up in stuff that you read. 

This is probably really accurate about people’s experiences. People tend to go by their friends experiences or their own not facts. My uncle died from covid in NOV He was 77 I believe. He was sick for over a week and never went and got tested. Then he went down hill. Might still be alive if he hadn’t brushed off his cough when it started.

I think Leonard had covid so he doesn’t need vaccinated. When the season was over he had some IG posts talking about being isolated in his basement because of covid.

17 minutes ago, Catloaf said:

Anyone that is totally fine with so few players getting vaccinated better not issue a single peep when our players start getting held out due to COVID protocol.  You forfeit your right to be upset if it costs us the division or the playoffs when every other team is taking the smart, competitive advantage approach.

Just heard on ESPN that CP3 has entered Covid-19 protocols, he is now ruled out indefinitely and they have the WCFinals coming up shortly. By the way CP3 has been vaccinated. So it can happen to any player, without CP3 they are screwed. The Jazz will win the West for sure now.

18 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

This is probably really accurate about people’s experiences. People tend to go by their friends experiences or their own not facts. My uncle died from covid in NOV He was 77 I believe. He was sick for over a week and never went and got tested. Then he went down hill. Might still be alive if he hadn’t brushed off his cough when it started.

I think Leonard had covid so he doesn’t need vaccinated. When the season was over he had some IG posts talking about being isolated in his basement because of covid.

I disagree about what you're calling facts.  I tend to define facts as by my experiences.  Not what I read.  

Getting tested means virtually nothing as far as helping yourself.  The reason the politicians and leaders wanted testing was to then quarantine a person.  Getting testing doesn't help treatment, it helps to control the spread.  The standard treatment for positive tests was to go home.  If we tested positive, we were instructed to go to the hospital only when symptoms were bad enough, which is no different than if I had the flu, chest pains, or a broken leg.  Otherwise, stay home.  I guess that's why Leonard was in his basement.

So I don't think grandpas lack of action really would have changed anything, given the conditions people were given about when to go to the hospital.   Although the data was clear that older people were more vulnerable and to tend to go downhill more rapidly.

If the policy was to immediately hospitalize a person upon receiving a positive test, then maybe a lack of action contributed, but that wasn't the policy.

Leonard already having COVID likely alters his point of view.  I don't see why anybody would believe Leonard knows more about vacs than anybody else, so I don't see him doing a public disservice by sharing his opinion.

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably the vaccinated guy would make it because of the way things are now in the league. Having said that no clear cut starter is getting cut because they don't have the shot. For NFL players it does benefit them in a lot of ways to get the shot/vaccine because of things mentioned earlier by other posters.

Again, I'm staying away from the choice argument.  I fully respect both sides.  Personally, I had Covid with no symptoms, and I've been vaccinated.  But I'm not going to preach.

I agree, no clear cut starter is going to be cut, but they will have to deal with the protocols.

"The new protocols, which were forged in an agreement this week with the NFL Players Association, were relayed to owners during a virtual meeting on Wednesday. Fully vaccinated players will no longer have to be tested daily, will not have to wear masks at team facilities, will not be subject to quarantine after exposure to a COVID-positive individual, will have no travel restrictions, may eat in the team cafeteria and use the sauna and steam room. They also will not be subject to capacity limits in the weight room and will be allowed to interact with vaccinated family and friends during travel.

Unvaccinated players will still have to be tested daily, must wear a mask at team facilities, are still subject to physical distancing, will have to quarantine after exposure, will have travel restrictions and will not be able to interact with family and friends during travel, and cannot eat in the cafeteria or use the sauna and steam room. They will be subject to capacity limits in the weight room, too."

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Just heard on ESPN that CP3 has entered Covid-19 protocols, he is now ruled out indefinitely and they have the WCFinals coming up shortly. By the way CP3 has been vaccinated. So it can happen to any player, without CP3 they are screwed. The Jazz will win the West for sure now.

If the vaccines work then the vaccinated should be safe

Bad luck for the Suns, but I can't imagine that CP3 is going to be out for the series, not that the gen pop really cares- The NBA committed credibility suicide.

43 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Well as long as it's still a choice. Because there's lot's of people who frankly shouldn't get it. Under 30? All ready had it? Heart condition? Blood clotting issues? And it's not 100% safe and it's not 100% effective. With that said, it's useful for some people and doesn't appear to generate the same side effect across all demos.

The data says all of that clearly, but the buzzword of "THE SCIENCE" and the corporate media echo chamber is more a manipulative sector for acquiring and using power. The people how champion themselves as "THE SCIENCE" have never had less credibility in modern times and they did it. Heck I was an outlier for the last year, but people are catching up. John Stewart just made elements of this point two days ago.

I'm also surprised the sports world isn't up in arms about this. The Body is temple crowd aren't just putting experimental stuff in the body under normal conditions. 

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Again, I'm staying away from the choice argument.  I fully respect both sides.  Personally, I had Covid with no symptoms, and I've been vaccinated.  But I'm not going to preach.

I agree, no clear cut starter is going to be cut, but they will have to deal with the protocols.

"The new protocols, which were forged in an agreement this week with the NFL Players Association, were relayed to owners during a virtual meeting on Wednesday. Fully vaccinated players will no longer have to be tested daily, will not have to wear masks at team facilities, will not be subject to quarantine after exposure to a COVID-positive individual, will have no travel restrictions, may eat in the team cafeteria and use the sauna and steam room. They also will not be subject to capacity limits in the weight room and will be allowed to interact with vaccinated family and friends during travel.

Unvaccinated players will still have to be tested daily, must wear a mask at team facilities, are still subject to physical distancing, will have to quarantine after exposure, will have travel restrictions and will not be able to interact with family and friends during travel, and cannot eat in the cafeteria or use the sauna and steam room. They will be subject to capacity limits in the weight room, too."

But this could change.  We could get to the point where the cherished scientists deem that the USA has reached herd immunity and the virus is no longer a threat, in which case vacs and masks become moot.  I could see where some are waiting for this to happen and hoping it happens soon so they can skip the vac.   Personal choice and strategy at play.

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have never had a flu shot either and when I tell people that, you should hear some of the responses I get lmao . You have to get that, etc. etc.. I haven't had a bad cold in 20 years.

In the early 2000's i twice got got hit really hard with the flu. One year apart.
 I have a slightly diminished lung function still.
  Yes i get the flu shot every year.
 If you get hit hard in the lungs the damage from covid is likely life changing.

But congrats, it didn't KILL YOU! Your a 99.6% survivor though. 
 I remember when a certain J______ said the predictions for losing 2.2M seems way off. It may turn out to be ONLY 60,000. We are much more likely on the way to a Million. One in every 330. Thining the herd! 

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But this could change.  We could get to the point where the cherished scientists deem that the USA has reached herd immunity and the virus is no longer a threat, in which case vacs and masks become moot.  I could see where some or waiting for this to happen and hoping it happens soon so they can skip the vac.   Personal choice and strategy at play.

Again, I'm not getting involved in a political discussion.  What I quoted is the NFL policy agreed to by the NFLPA.  

I doubt that's going to change very quickly.  Those are the facts, and if you choose not to get vaccinated, you choose to live with the consequences.

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

In the early 2000's i twice got got hit really hard with the flu. One year apart.
 I have a slightly diminished lung function still.
  Yes i get the flu shot every year.
 If you get hit hard in the lungs the damage from covid is likely life changing.

But congrats, it didn't KILL YOU! Your a 99.6% survivor though. 
 I remember when a certain J______ said the predictions for losing 2.2M seems way off. It may turn out to be ONLY 60,000. We are much more likely on the way to a Million. One in every 330. Thining the herd! 

I just gave a stat that is fact. Not poo pooing getting the shot but I also get why people don't want to get it yet. I will probably get it, just waiting for more data to come out regarding the people who have had it and how it has effected them. I may have already had Covid-19 and not even know it because I really haven't been sick regarding flu symptoms. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Tell us more about your life so we can make stupid value judgements like these. Its none of your business. Period

Vaccine choices, religious choices, political choices, gender choices and locker room character are not related, IMO. They however can be used to introduce division for those whose intent is to divide.

If Tom Brady is a fan of Trump, so be it and we should let it be, as an example. All we should care is whether they obey the laws of the country and play good football, IMO. :2c:

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Did they say whether he has it or not. The NFL has said if vaccinated you will not be held out if your exposed.

I honestly hope this post doesn't go to far off the rails and it doesn't get locked because i do truly believe there are some really good arguments and points made on both sides and definitely a constructive conversation...

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Did they say whether he has it or not. The NFL has said if vaccinated you will not be held out if your exposed.

It said the NBA has ruled him out indefinitely but the NBA and NFL have different rules. I was just pointing out anyone could still get the virus even if vaccinated. CP3 is the leader of that team.

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Again, I'm not getting involved in a political discussion.  What I quoted is the NFL policy agreed to by the NFLPA.  

I doubt that's going to change very quickly.  Those are the facts, and if you choose not to get vaccinated, you choose to live with the consequences.

Agreed, and I'm not sure who thinks this has turned into a political discussion.  I'm simply saying that the policy is driven by broader issues.  At some point vacs and masks will be moot, whether politics enters into that decision really doesn't matter.  Vacs and masks will be moot regardless of the reasons.  Some players are probably waiting to get to that point.

Some players sat out a year because of simple fear, and that hurt their development.  I can see where some will choose not to get vaccinated, probably out of a different kind of fear, and live with the consequences.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I just want to know when the NFL is going to stop with the protocols. This will never completely go away and you can’t force players.

At least not until 2022. Probably 2023. I would say not until the infection rate drops to that of the common flu.

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I just want to know when the NFL is going to stop with the protocols. This will never completely go away and you can’t force players.

I'm not sure what you mean.  The NFLPA agreed with the protocols.  No one is being forced to be vaccinated.  Each player can make his own decision.

But pro sports are not Little League.  The best players will play, and coaches have to make decisions on who to keep on the team based on their ability and availability.

As @DougDew pointed out, the policy will probably evolve.  I think it's a fair policy for everyone.  

Archived