Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts one of lowest vaccinated rates in the NFL

Dogg63

3 minutes ago, Nadine said:

Covid isn't going away.  It will lose our focus when it's death toll gets down to where the flu is. Vaccinations will get us there.

As to vaccinated people being upset and not having faith in the vaccine, that's just a spin

I'm not upset with unvaccinated people.  I do think we need to be aware of them and proceed accordingly. They are mostly only hurting themselves.  Where they cross the line into putting others at risk is another matter.

I think there is a fair argument to not being happy with the unvaccinated. What exactly are they doing the get us out of this mess?  The answer is nothing. I get it is a bit scary and you have vaccines that are experimental and not fully approved, but to quote unquote wait for facts or just plain not get it ever while everybody else takes the jump to protect themselves and their communities is a little morally reprehensible, I'm sorry. It is a personal choice, so be it. It also affects people around them , though. 

1 minute ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lmao Lol GIF

Before this thread gets shut down.. 

It's their business. But hey, maybe Jim should offer them 5 mill more a year for the jab since this is how far we've come... :peek:

...or better, $5 million less if they don't get the jab.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I have a gut feeling Wentz did get vaccinated and that’s why he missed the first two days of OTA. 

I truly do wonder how it could divide the locker room in a bad way.

Honesty , I think this is no where near as big a deal as some are making it out to be. I highly highly doubt the locker divides over a shot. This forum is easily divided on any given topic but the players generally seem not to have the same rush to sides as we fans do. 

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Honesty , I think this is no where near as big a deal as some are making it out to be. I highly highly doubt the locker divides over a shot. This forum is easily divided on any given topic but the players generally seem not to have the same rush to sides as we fans do. 

I mean the whole country divided over wearing masks…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, craigerb said:

That condemnation of unvaccinated people says it all.

Condemnation is a strong word, and you’re making a sweeping generalisation. 

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol I don't care if youre black, white, purple, vaxxed, or non vaxxed. Come give me a hug brother!

Soccer Hug GIF by Sporting KC

I can’t hug you till Uncle Boris says it’s okay. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

lol I don't care if youre black, white, purple, vaxxed, or non vaxxed. Come give me a hug brother!

Soccer Hug GIF by Sporting KC

The return of hugging has been AWESOME

• Like 5

Also, for those wondering.. Chris Paul was in fact vaccinated. So this plot will be forever thick. It'll be okay though, human bodies were made to adapt either by God or evolution (whichever you believe). We'll make it through!

• Like 1

If I am reading this right played can’t participate in camp until day five if they are unvaccinated. They are going to have to have their second shot two weeks before camp if they want to be considered fully vaccinated by then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

If I am reading this right played can’t participate in camp until day five if they are unvaccinated. They are going to have to have their second shot two weeks before camp if they want to be considered fully vaccinated by then.

Well….  The click is ticking….

You need four weeks to get fully vaccinated.   By my calendar Colts players have roughly 5 1/2 weeks to get fully vaccinated.  

You can do what you want, but there is a price to pay.   Consequences for your action.   Hopefully more step up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

The comparison with flu is not apples to apples at all. Flu is in no way as infective as COVID. The stupid 1% mortality number that gets used, fails to add the context of incidence. It may be only 1% but if there's a high chance of infection that soon racks up to a big death toll. It's 'just' 1% would add up to 32 million deaths in US if you had the extreme of everyone having a case of CO

I think your math is off by about 29 million

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You need four weeks to get fully vaccinated.   By my calendar Colts players have roughly 5 1/2 weeks to get fully vaccinated.  

You can do what you want, but there is a price to pay.   Consequences for your action.   Hopefully more step up. 

I wonder if more players were waiting to see what the protocols would be before getting vaccinated. If your unvaccinated your going to be pretty isolated. Bad for team chemistry.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's what I've been saying.  I'm staying away from the political or even medical "proof" argument.  

The fact is that the NFLPA agreed to those conditions.  So the players have to abide by them.

No one is forcing anyone to be vaccinated, they just want you to understand what you're signing up to if you choose not to.  It's a lot like the same conditions they all faced last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

Those Covid protocols are tough for unvaccinated players. 

I hope they aren’t really making unvaccinated players find their own way to road games. That’s a little stupid. That puts them in more danger of getting it.

7 hours ago, iuswingman said:

There is freedom of choice.  They have the freedom to choose to quit football and not get vaccine.  Nfl has the choice of suspending players for not getting it.  

Vaccinations are required for sending kids to public schools but you don't think it can be required for employment? Lol

And this personal choice does effect those around you because not only are you more susceptible to getting covid but also more likely to spread it to others.

Uhh not in our district.  Where is this going on?

There is a list of vaccines that each state require kids to get before attending school. Indiana has I think 10-12.

I thought you were referring to this new, experimental vaccine.  

BTW, I took the shots, but there is no way in Hell I’d give it to my sons for at least a couple years.  

wife is as fit a person as there is and hasn’t taken it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cjrulli said:

Transparency:  I am vaccinated and a very science oriented person. 

This is a bit surprising, especially since the culture and emphasis on "family" is discussed here often. It really is so interesting to me how polarizing of a topic this is for people. Getting the vaccination is without a doubt a choice but I'm genuinely curious about an individuals reasoning on not doing it. Not for judgement but to simply better understand their perspective and where they are coming from.

A couple of my friends are against it but their reasons seem more influenced by social media rather than forming their own opinion by reputable sources. Asking them any sort of question on their stance devolves into defensive attitudes or half-baked thoughts. I'm sure these NFL players have been provided all of the appropriate information and I can only imagine the pressure the NFL is putting on them. I assume many of them actually have solid reasons or at least I would hope so. 

All in all, you can only control certain things in life. A person's choices and actions are not one of them. This may impact us in the season but it may not. 

I'm 67 and the picture of health. I got the vaccine but only because I go weekly to El Paso TX (the hothead of Covid), intermingle in a warehouse and come back to an Indiana resturant my wife owns. I don't want anyone sick because of me, or i wouldn't take the shot.

One of my Sons and his wife wanted to hold off getting the vaccine because no one really knows how it will affect family planning.  They did get the shot because of his job and her 95 yr old grandmother coming to visit.

The Colts Players might fall into that category of wanting to start families and not knowing the effects.  Whatever any player decides is none of my (nor anyone's) business....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

But facts are not really what you read.   Facts tend to be what you experience.  Some people simply place more trust in things they read than others.

I got the vaccine primarily because my wife wanted me to and it was convenient.  If I was single I likely would not have bothered.

I'm 60 years old and go to the doctor for an annual physical.  I have had one doctor's appointment outside of the routine checkup and have never been admitted to a hospital.  Reading what happens to others doesn't register on the scale of priorities for many.  Some may have underlying health problems that factor into their point of view or just plain hypochondria ( a form of conspiracy thinking) that doesn't show up in stuff that you read. 

You are like Brad in Pulp Fiction.  A smart. . . 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Those Covid protocols are tough for unvaccinated players. 

NFL out here with stricter rules than the US military :lol: good luck guys, go show em who's boss!

Gonna be a sad day when some vaxxed gets covid

2 hours ago, Nadine said:

I guess for some that's true. I didn't need an immediate tangible on how it was best for me personally. I don't have a negative reaction to being asked to contribute to the common good. Especially when I'm being asked for simple things that I can easily do.

My heart breaks for all the pain and suffering that has gone on this year. For people I know and for people I don't know.

I care about my country and my community.

It truly has been so devastatingly tragic.  Every day

Now we're in a situation where non vaccinated people are just gong to  be spreading it to non vaccinated people. Covid will find them one way or another.  Maybe it will be mild, maybe it will be terrible. Nothing much can be done about that other than spreading accurate information

And businesses like the NFL have to find a way to move forward. I think they're doing that and am optimistic we've reached a place where we can have fun at games again.

I guess some folks look at the concept of contributing to community as a virtue.  That doesn't mean that those who don't harbor hate or intolerance.  

I don't think the communication was an ask.  I think there were mandates.  Essentially, mandates that you do something for the community good, when that something had little impact on your own well being.  At least that's the way it was presented.

Lose your job and wear a mask not because it helps you. but because it MIGHT help someone else.  Someone who may still get covid despite your forced contribution to community by having your business being shut and you forced to wear a mask.

People instinctively push back when leaders go that far, IMO.

People don't often do things for the community good.  They do things that benefits themselves, which in turn, should benefit the community.  It wasn't presented like that.  

@NannyMcafeemade a great point.  I got a polio vax.  I won't get polio.  So someone who didn't get the vax doesn't concern me.  I got the measles vax.  I wont get the measles.  I won't catch it despite being around someone who didn't get the vax.  I got the COVID vax.  That same rule should apply.  Why judge others for not getting the vax when you did what you need to do to protect yourself, which in turn, should help protect the community?  

• Like 4

Well and another problem is even the people who got shots, I heard next year we might need booster shots, so I don't know if this drama is ever going to end.

Btw, I got my 1st dose of the Pfizer shot last week and at least for me I have had literally zero symptoms.

5 hours ago, cjrulli said:

As a science oriented person, I trust the information that is published by scientists, doctors and epidemiologists. Most of whom, have strong opinions on getting vaccinated backed up by their knowledge and findings. I don't disagree that the high survival rate is a strong argument against but that is simply one variable in a larger equation. There are so many other factors. Like vaccine efficacy and unknown long term impacts of both COVID or the vaccine. e.g. the potential long-term impacts on respiratory health for someone who was infected, the disparity in impacts across blood types and ethnicities, etc. 

My choice in getting the vaccine was a risk-assessment. I felt there was less risk and way more benefits in getting a vaccine that was developed, tested and deployed by a group of individuals that will know more about the cellular structure of our bodies than I ever will.

I can understand a persons hesitancy on that but that is why I bolded it's a choice. I don't force my beliefs the vaccine on anyone, 

The conceptions of science are often, I dare say usually, misunderstood by most people.

Most people don’t realize that science and the opinions of scientists are not the same thing.  Science is based on skepticism and scientists are as susceptible to biases just like any other humans.  

“Science} did not tell  us to sanitize.  Scientists did.  Science did not tell us sanitizing did next to nothing to prevent Covid.  Scientists did.  

it takes a lot of time to get a handle on things like this.  The shame is that there are many doctors, etc. that believed HDq and zinc helped patients.  My wife knows a guy whose brother at Johns Hopkins called early on insisting that his sick brother be given HDQ and Zinc and not intimated.Turns out the virus probably originated in the lab.  Turns out intubation was tragically over prescribed.  Evidence emerging of HDQ.

look I have no personal knowedge  of the efficacy of that prescription or where the virus originated, but I DO KNOW FOR ABSOLUTE CERTAIN that speech about these ideas were politically suppressed de facto if not de jure.

3 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Well and another problem is even the people who got shots, I heard next year we might need booster shots, so I don't know if this drama is ever going to end.

Btw, I got my 1st dose of the Pfizer shot last week and at least for me I have had literally zero symptoms.

They haven’t gave booster shots to anyone that were in the trials last April so there probably won’t be any for a while. Pfizer usually has less side effects than Moderna. 

5 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yeah, and there is a possibility of a deadly variant that might be immune to our vaccine and we vaxxed souls might be in peril because we have this other crap in our bodies.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Yeah, and there is a possibility of a deadly variant that might be immune to our vaccine and we vaxxed souls might be in peril because we have this other crap in our bodies.

Good news is the virus can’t change that spike protein too much or it doesn’t make people and certain animals  sick anymore

Good news is the virus can’t change that spike protein too much or it doesn’t make people and certain animals  sick anymore

I don’t know what that means.  But my post is philosophical not scientific in nature.

30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I guess some folks look at the concept of contributing to community as a virtue.  That doesn't mean that those who don't harbor hate or intolerance.  

I don't think the communication was an ask.  I think there were mandates.  Essentially, mandates that you do something for the community good, when that something had little impact on your own well being.  At least that's the way it was presented.

Lose your job and wear a mask not because it helps you. but because it MIGHT help someone else.  Someone who may still get covid despite your forced contribution to community by having your business being shut and you forced to wear a mask.

People instinctively push back when leaders go that far, IMO.

People don't often do things for the community good.  They do things that benefits themselves, which in turn, should benefit the community.  It wasn't presented like that.  

@NannyMcafeemade a great point.  I got a polio vax.  I won't get polio.  So someone who didn't get the vax doesn't concern me.  I got the measles vax.  I wont get the measles.  I won't catch it despite being around someone who didn't get the vax.  I got the COVID vax.  That same rule should apply.  Why judge others for not getting the vax when you did what you need to do to protect yourself, which in turn, should help protect the community?  

What’s good for the individual is good for the society.  That’s pretty much the founding principle of democracy.

• Nadine locked this topic