Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts one of lowest vaccinated rates in the NFL

Dogg63

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

So Mr. ForTheColture Insider is really out here trying to say that barely over 10% of our players are vaccinated while other teams are hitting 90? I wouldn’t doubt that we’re below average for whatever reason but I don’t believe him or his “sources” for a second that there’s THAT large of a discrepancy. This dude just throws crap at the wall. 

As someone that has seen stuff the ForTheColtureJ guy posts on twitter, he is wrong more than right. So I am guessing he is just trying to drum up interest in his terrible takes by saying something that cannot be verified.

Also, I am 23, I was 22 when I caught something in Feb 2020, which the doctors never could diagnose. The symptoms were all consistent with Covid, but they were not testing at that time unless you had traveled internationally. It has been almost a year and a half since, and I still have trouble breathing, still have chest pain, still have lightheadness.  So for people that point out the death rate, that isn't the only consideration. You can just as easily have longterm side effects. There are college players and MLB who never had an issue that now do (multiple heart issues people). The flu does not cause this extreme. The vaccine has proven to at least cause the symptoms to be almost non-existent. And for those of you who say the vaccine hasn't been around, yes this specific has not, but the base of it has been, Sars vaccine was the basis the change was some of the DNA. The extreme change isn't there

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well we know all those pain killers can kill the liver. So much they have asked players to stop taking it as a preventive.

I will say it again I don’t care if they get it. Just looking at it through a fans eyes and how it could ruin a playoff birth if it happens at the wrong time. I am just more surprised players want to deal with all that testing again and all the other protocols.

A playoff birth sounds just as painful as Corona

6 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

As someone that has seen stuff the ForTheColtureJ guy posts on twitter, he is wrong more than right. So I am guessing he is just trying to drum up interest in his terrible takes by saying something that cannot be verified.

Also, I am 23, I was 22 when I caught something in Feb 2020, which the doctors never could diagnose. The symptoms were all consistent with Covid, but they were not testing at that time unless you had traveled internationally. It has been almost a year and a half since, and I still have trouble breathing, still have chest pain, still have lightheadness.  So for people that point out the death rate, that isn't the only consideration. You can just as easily have longterm side effects. There are college players and MLB who never had an issue that now do (multiple heart issues people). The flu does not cause this extreme. The vaccine has proven to at least cause the symptoms to be almost non-existent. And for those of you who say the vaccine hasn't been around, yes this specific has not, but the base of it has been, Sars vaccine was the basis the change was some of the DNA. The extreme change isn't there

Holder basically almost confirmed it. He said the source was not enthusiastic and says they are ready to face the consequences. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

Everyone should have freedom of choice. I made the decision not to get vaccinated because I sm on a immune suppressor. Iit scares me when I know people  have not felt well for a day or two. So I sm going to wait. I sm only around vaccinated people so it doesn’t concern me much. So I am all for freedom of choice and totally get it. Just coming from a fans perspective. Hopefully it has subsided enough it won’t be a issue for unvaccinated players. I can almost guarantee Ballard and Reich are dissapointed if it’s really only ten players.

I am selfishly looking at it from a fans perspective.

Honestly how can you parade how you believe they should have freedom of choice and then berate them for not getting it? really makes you come off as a bleep head honestly and 90% of the time we agree

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you should consider the following.

• I'm not suggesting the vaccine will have any bad side effects, but there is simply no intermediate or long term data at this point to be adamant either way. Saying we have accurate short term data at this point is even a bit of a stretch. 
  • There is an abundance of data on what pain killers and others do to the body. Player health is also monitored closely, so each player and each team has a lot of data on their own health. And it is their responsibility to ensure they know about their bodies (via their own personal docs), and also be educated on any drug they are putting in their bodies. 
  • Players have a lot of choice in terms of pain meds, and not all have the side effects you mention.
  • Players are not forced to medicate. Most do it because they want the pay check, or a bigger pay check next year. In short, just like the vaccine, it's their choice. But at least they have a ton of data in which to make an educated decision (unlike the vaccine).

While I have mixed thoughts on the topic, I think you're pretty silly if you are elderly or have comorbidities, and don't take the vaccine, If however you are in your 20s and the picture of health, the data suggests that Covid is not a serious threat statistically. We've had less than 2500 deaths in the US from the age group of 18-29 (which includes comorbidities), and less than 10,000 if you extend that range to 18-39. In short, the threat is not great for players. If we're being honest, one could easily argue that the cost/risk/benefit equation would suggest that 18-29 year olds should not risk the vaccine lol... If this weren't a political topic, it would be pretty clear. A lot of fans just "feel" a sport is more important than choice.

The bolded couldn't be closer to the truth, its honestly laughable seeing all the arguments on Facebook etc. from people who would totally flip the script on both sides if someone else was president. Me personally i doubt i ever get it even if it was passed by the FDA. My age range isn't considered an issue and the people who are close to me that have considerable health issues all got it and survived. I have also never been one to get flu shots or anything like that.

21 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I agree with what you said here. 100% I don’t think protocols should be tied to vaccines. protocols need to end for everyone in the facility

I think common sense could be applied in two ways. The league, as a collective of privately owned businesses could mandate vaccinations. But they wouldn't lol... Even though hospitals and other businesses are. It's a business's prerogative/right to do so, but they wouldn't risk the politics on either side... They could also remove protocols and require all participants to sign a waiver. But they won't do that either due to politics lol.

IMO, the removal of protocol and waiver is the most logical thing to do. Players and coaches that are  worried can simply get vaccinated. The players that don't want to vaccinate simply roll the dice and take ownership of their own decision. 

Politics has pretty much ruined common sense in the US.

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

Honestly how can you parade how you believe they should have freedom of choice and then berate them for not getting it? really makes you come off as a bleep head honestly and 90% of the time we agree

I am not berating them for not getting it. Maybe I didn’t come off right. Sometimes I do that. Like I said just looking at it through the lense of a fan. I am more surprised that they want to keep having protocols. How it could ruin playoff chances. In reality that shouldn’t even be a concern because we didn’t have much of a issue last season. The one that could be concerning is if they are exposed and all the contact tracing. If they  are vaccinated then they don’t have to worry about that.

5 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I saw his tweet on that. But I am still holding true on this guy, he is just wrong soo much. Even if lower, I am still thinking 10 is too low

I don’t think he is wrong often.  Some people don’t understand when he says interested that doesn’t mean it will happen or it’s a done deal. I hope its not just ten. That does seem really low. A few teams are almost at 70 players.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think common sense could be applied in two ways. The league, as a collective of privately owned businesses could mandate vaccinations. But they wouldn't lol... Even though hospitals and other businesses are. It's a business's prerogative/right to do so, but they wouldn't risk the politics on either side... They could also remove protocols and require all participants to sign a waiver. But they won't do that either due to politics lol.

IMO, the removal of protocol and waiver is the most logical thing to do. Players and coaches that are  worried can simply get vaccinated. The players that don't want to vaccinate simply roll the dice and take ownership of their own decision. 

Politics has pretty much ruined common sense in the US.

100% correct. Going to be interesting how this all shakes out by TC. The players union would fight it if they tried to make it mandatory.

Another stupid rules is not letting media who is vaccinated back in the locker room 

How would any source or reporter from the media know who has and hasn't had the vaccine? Unless the player tells them they haven't then how would they know? Doctors can't reveal this info as it is personal medical stuff. Players from other teams may have revealed they have had the vaccine but I seriously doubt hardly any player is going to say I haven't had it to a reporter lmao 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

How would any source or reporter from the media know who has and hasn't had the vaccine? Unless the player tells them they haven't then how would they know? Doctors can't reveal this info as it is personal medical stuff. Players from other teams may have revealed they have had the vaccine but I seriously doubt hardly any player is going to say I haven't had it to a reporter lmao 

Maybe the reporter didn’t get the info from a player?    Maybe from the NFL?    No names, but the basic info about the Colts being among a handful of teams with the lowest vaccination rates. 

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

The bolded couldn't be closer to the truth, its honestly laughable seeing all the arguments on Facebook etc. from people who would totally flip the script on both sides if someone else was president. Me personally i doubt i ever get it even if it was passed by the FDA. My age range isn't considered an issue and the people who are close to me that have considerable health issues all got it and survived. I have also never been one to get flu shots or anything like that.

I was most concerned with a few family members that were old, and some with illnesses. They have all been vaccinated. I'm not all that concerned for myself. I've never got a flu shot. I'm not an anti-vax person or anything, I just don't get the flu often, and when I do, it's over quickly. One of my best friends gets the shot every year and still gets sick just about every year. As most on here know, I follow stats (not just football), and make my decisions based off that and personal experience.

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I was most concerned with a few family members that were old, and some with illnesses. They have all been vaccinated. I'm not all that concerned for myself. I've never got a flu shot. I'm not an anti-vax person or anything, I just don't get the flu often, and when I do, it's over quickly. One of my best friends gets the shot every year and still gets sick just about every year. As most on here know, I follow stats (not just football), and make my decisions based off that and personal experience.

I have not got the vaccine yet, I am just waiting to see how many people are affected by side effects or how many people get sick from the vaccine. Already blood clotting and inflammation of the heart as happened from getting the shot in some. I also have not been sick at all since the Covid-19 was discovered in March of 2020, that is another reason why I haven't got the vaccine. I am 49 pushing 50 so I may end up getting it eventually but just waiting for more research/data to come out regarding this. I have many friends that haven't gotten the vaccine either. My mom and step-dad have got the vaccine but they are almost 70 so I am ok with that. Really character nor politics has anything to do with anyone's decision to get the vaccine IMO, my step-dad is a diehard conservative and he frowns on people that hasn't had the vaccine. He and mom bug me all the time to get the shot/vaccine but having said that they still feel comfortable with me visiting them. I just wear a mask around them.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have not got the vaccine yet, I am just waiting to see how many people are affected by side effects or how many people get sick from the vaccine. Already blood clotting and inflammation of the heart as happened from getting the shot in some. I also have not been sick at all since the Covid-19 was discovered in March of 2020, that is another reason why I haven't got the vaccine. I am 49 pushing 50 so I may end up getting it eventually but just waiting for more research/data to come out regarding this. I have many friends that haven't gotten the vaccine either. My mom and step-dad have got the vaccine but they are almost 70 so I am ok with that. Really character nor politics has anything to do with anyone's decision to get the vaccine IMO, my step-dad is a diehard conservative and he frowns on people that hasn't had the vaccine. He and mom bug me all the time to get the shot/vaccine but having said that they still feel comfortable with me visiting them. I just wear a mask around them.

I still wear a mask regardless of where I go out in public. I'm not really a big pro-mask guy, but it simply doesn't bother me to wear one. I still limit my travel and running around. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry right now, and wearing a mask doesn't bother me, or pose any risk lol. My mother is 70s, conservative, and has comorbidities. I'm very happy she got vaccinated. I'm personally in a wait and see mode too.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I still wear a mask regardless of where I go out in public. I'm not really a big pro-mask guy, but it simply doesn't bother me to wear one. I still limit my travel and running around. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry right now, and wearing a mask doesn't bother me, or pose any risk lol. My mother is 70s, conservative, and has comorbidities. I'm very happy she got vaccinated. I'm personally in a wait and see mode too.

My work place doesn't require masks anymore where I am at but I still wear one. I wear one when I go to any store as well. 

46 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t think he is wrong often.  Some people don’t understand when he says interested that doesn’t mean it will happen or it’s a done deal. I hope its not just ten. That does seem really low. A few teams are almost at 70 players.

From what ive seen with him, he speaks as certain, the other ForTheColture guy hedge his tweets, this one seems to say it as it done

And I agree, 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Things have calmed down now….

But it’s highly likely we’re going to have another wave come the winter.   Things are going to get difficult again in November, December and January…. 

This wouldn't be the case if everyone got vaccinated.

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Everyone should have freedom of choice. I made the decision not to get vaccinated because I sm on a immune suppressor. Iit scares me when I know people  have not felt well for a day or two. So I sm going to wait. I sm only around vaccinated people so it doesn’t concern me much. So I am all for freedom of choice and totally get it. Just coming from a fans perspective. Hopefully it has subsided enough it won’t be a issue for unvaccinated players. I can almost guarantee Ballard and Reich are dissapointed if it’s really only ten players.

I am selfishly looking at it from a fans perspective.

Dear God…

For this and every other post you made in this thread. 

The hypocrisy is next level here. 

There will be protocols for unvaccinated players

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/15/nfl-vaccines-player-skepticism/

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said after an owners’ meeting last month that the league and NFLPA had agreed to revised protocols differentiating between vaccinated and non-vaccinated players and personnel. Under those protocols, fully vaccinated players and personnel are not subject to daily testing, mask-wearing requirements, contact-tracing quarantines, travel restrictions or weight-room capacity limits.

Until then, they are trying to answer  questions.  There's a lot of misinformation out there

My brother in law was just hospitalized with a perforated appendix.  Several people in my family were pointing out to my sister that it was most likely because he was vaccinated

Really hurtful to say these sorts of things when someone is dealing with a life threatening situation.  Anyway, he's on the mend now, vaccine and all.

With regard to the season, I think the greater risk will be the number of unvaccinated people in the stands.  Hopefully all goes well and we can have a normal football season. I think we could all use it

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’ll get no disagreement from me with your comment. 

But in the world we live in now, I regret to say that's not going to happen. 

I really don't have a problem with someone that doesn't want to get the shot/vaccinated and I get why people do get the shot. That is just me. It should be a person's choice to what they want to put in their body, some people still are uncomfortable with getting the shot. For me that is not hard to understand. If had a relative that didn't want me around because I don't want to get the shot, then I would say oh well, your loss lmao . I am lucky I have a mom (who has had the shot) understands where I a am coming from.

Vaguely amazed that this has stayed civil (so far!). 

Absolutely it's the right of any one person to say no to a vaccine, and for each and every person it could be for very different reasons. But like any choice in life (not governed by law) you also have to weigh up the societal responsibility. That is of course assuming that you believe the vaccine is effective.  For the players it's slightly different again in that it is linked to their profession.  Although it would require a change to CBA I'm sure, they could mandate vaccination potentially. After all they restrict other choices which are no longer illegal in certain areas.

Which leads onto the next point. While personal choice is fine, it should at least be an informed choice, and I fear there are huge swathes making a choice based on misinformation. Not even talking opinions here, cases where absolutely made up 'facts' are being presented as truth, or the twisting of evidence to suit a narrative. One massive example is some of the highlighted side effect risks from certain vaccines. If you actually look at the relative probabilities, there's a lot of day to day medication that is far 'riskier', that people are happy to gobble up. 

You can argue too that there isn't a historic evidence base, but that's driven by the circumstances. We didn't know we had a need, until we had a need, and by that point delaying any effective vaccine would have had a worse outcome then rolling out what we have. Bear in mind too, it's not like they hadn't been researching COVID vaccines prior to the pandemic, just not at the scale/speed that got kick started by it. 

It's also sad to see people still downplaying the impact of COVID. The amount of direct/indirect deaths is off the charts in terms of excess mortality, and remember it's not over yet. That's before you look at the amount of long term effects and morbidities that are now being associated with COVID. 

Just strange you can on the one hand say I won't risk the vaccine because there's a chance of X, but happy to risk COVID with a much higher chance of complications or death. 

I fear it's a result of what happens when you have a political response to a clinical crisis. 

There is freedom of choice.  They have the freedom to choose to quit football and not get vaccine.  Nfl has the choice of suspending players for not getting it.  

Vaccinations are required for sending kids to public schools but you don't think it can be required for employment? Lol

And this personal choice does effect those around you because not only are you more susceptible to getting covid but also more likely to spread it to others.

9 hours ago, DattMavis said:

Why is this even a conversation?

Regardless of whether or not it upsets you that they aren’t vaccinated, it’s their own personal health choice. You can say it upsets you, but it’s their decision. 

Best post in the entire thread thus far! 200.gifBryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

10 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Only about ten players are vaccinated so far. What the hell are Irsay and Ballard doing. So these plates need more education on the vaccine. If this team doesn’t fix this it’s goinf to cost them. From team chemistry to losing important players.

I’m sure this is accurate... not

19 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Vaguely amazed that this has stayed civil (so far!). 

Absolutely it's the right of any one person to say no to a vaccine, and for each and every person it could be for very different reasons. But like any choice in life (not governed by law) you also have to weigh up the societal responsibility. That is of course assuming that you believe the vaccine is effective.  For the players it's slightly different again in that it is linked to their profession.  Although it would require a change to CBA I'm sure, they could mandate vaccination potentially. After all they restrict other choices which are no longer illegal in certain areas.

Which leads onto the next point. While personal choice is fine, it should at least be an informed choice, and I fear there are huge swathes making a choice based on misinformation. Not even talking opinions here, cases where absolutely made up 'facts' are being presented as truth, or the twisting of evidence to suit a narrative. One massive example is some of the highlighted side effect risks from certain vaccines. If you actually look at the relative probabilities, there's a lot of day to day medication that is far 'riskier', that people are happy to gobble up. 

You can argue too that there isn't a historic evidence base, but that's driven by the circumstances. We didn't know we had a need, until we had a need, and by that point delaying any effective vaccine would have had a worse outcome then rolling out what we have. Bear in mind too, it's not like they hadn't been researching COVID vaccines prior to the pandemic, just not at the scale/speed that got kick started by it. 

It's also sad to see people still downplaying the impact of COVID. The amount of direct/indirect deaths is off the charts in terms of excess mortality, and remember it's not over yet. That's before you look at the amount of long term effects and morbidities that are now being associated with COVID. 

Just strange you can on the one hand say I won't risk the vaccine because there's a chance of X, but happy to risk COVID with a much higher chance of complications or death. 

I fear it's a result of what happens when you have a political response to a clinical crisis. 

Yeah keeping all things civil is the way to go. This is actually an important football topic regarding our Colts because of what happened to us before the Titans game last season. I will probably end up getting up the vaccine eventually. I am just waiting for more data/research to come out regarding the people who have had it on how their health has been after the vaccine. Most of the time having patience is a great thing. I still wear my masks when around people and wash my hands and great with social distancing. I was raised pretty well, my mom always taught me to see both sides of everything, have no prejudices, and never judge someone on a choice they make for themselves. Someone else doesn't know what you have been through or what is right for another person's body. I love freedom of choice. 

Choice aside, here are the facts:

"Fully vaccinated players and personnel are allowed to eat in team cafeterias, use saunas and steam rooms, and interact with vaccinated family members and friends during travel. Non-vaccinated players and personnel remain subject to rigid protocols."

And just as important:

"Teams cannot cut players based on vaccination status. The league spoke to Buffalo Bills General Manager Brandon Beane last month after he said publicly that he might consider releasing an unvaccinated player under certain circumstances. Yet there will be clear competitive implications once the season arrives, given how many players missed practice time and games last season based on testing results and contact tracing."

That bolded sentence may sound fair, but the rest of the paragraph is reality.  

27 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Choice aside, here are the facts:

"Fully vaccinated players and personnel are allowed to eat in team cafeterias, use saunas and steam rooms, and interact with vaccinated family members and friends during travel. Non-vaccinated players and personnel remain subject to rigid protocols."

And just as important:

"Teams cannot cut players based on vaccination status. The league spoke to Buffalo Bills General Manager Brandon Beane last month after he said publicly that he might consider releasing an unvaccinated player under certain circumstances. Yet there will be clear competitive implications once the season arrives, given how many players missed practice time and games last season based on testing results and contact tracing."

That bolded sentence may sound fair, but the rest of the paragraph is reality.  

It is what it is, it would be hilarious if someone like Josh Allen didn't want to get the shot/vaccinated. I would love to see him try and cut him lmao . That would never happen in a million years and if he tried you would have thousands of Bills outside that stadium in an up roar. That is all talk by that GM. He may cut a bench player but not a star player, not happening. 

The whole "it's a personal choice" argument falls apart in a global pandemic when it's the case that people getting a vaccine contribute to the end of the pandemic and the people who don't do nothing to improve the situation. People conveniently leave that part out. So yes, it's a personal choice, but your personal choice affects your community. 

Like, I get the "the vaccine is experimental" thing and it's all a little scary but not getting a vaccine is selfish. It just is. The people on the colts not getting a vaccine are selfish. That's all there is to it. 

Here's an analogy.

What you eat is a personal choice but if a player came back to camp overweight to the point of not being ready to play by the regular season, how would people feel about that?  How would management feel about that?

Players (who are making millions of dollars btw) have the responsibility of doing everything they can to be healthy and available on game days.   Putting yourself at increased risk of getting covid/sharing covid and potentially having to sit out when exposed to covid is not doing that.

covid vaccines will get full fda approval in the next few months.  It will be interesting to see what happens after that as far as being required

Transparency:  I am vaccinated and a very science oriented person. 

This is a bit surprising, especially since the culture and emphasis on "family" is discussed here often. It really is so interesting to me how polarizing of a topic this is for people. Getting the vaccination is without a doubt a choice but I'm genuinely curious about an individuals reasoning on not doing it. Not for judgement but to simply better understand their perspective and where they are coming from.

A couple of my friends are against it but their reasons seem more influenced by social media rather than forming their own opinion by reputable sources. Asking them any sort of question on their stance devolves into defensive attitudes or half-baked thoughts. I'm sure these NFL players have been provided all of the appropriate information and I can only imagine the pressure the NFL is putting on them. I assume many of them actually have solid reasons or at least I would hope so. 

All in all, you can only control certain things in life. A person's choices and actions are not one of them. This may impact us in the season but it may not. 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is what it is, it would be hilarious if someone like Josh Allen didn't want to get the shot/vaccinated. I would love to see him try and cut him lmao . That would never happen in a million years and if he tried you would have thousands of Bills outside that stadium in an up roar. That is all talk by that GM. He may cut a bench player but not a star player, not happening. 

That's not even a discussion.  Here's where it matters - You have an UDFA or a ST guy just trying to make the team.  He's competing with at least one other guy for that spot. You think they're pretty evenly matched up.  One guy is vaccinated, one is not. 

Which one makes the team?  

Archived