Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts one of lowest vaccinated rates in the NFL

Dogg63

6 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I actually had someone tell me yesterday blacks are afraid to get the vaccine because of what happened 100 years ago. That they think the government is trying to kill them off. I am like what. That is nuts.

Tuskegee experiment ran from 1940-1970s

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Tuskegee experiment ran from 1940-1970s

Yeah I was just putting that 100 years kind of as a point. We aren’t the same country we were even in the 70’s. 

I love Leonard. Don’t take this the wrong way but the stuff he posts on Instagram sometimes makes him look uneducated and not very smart. 

46 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I actually had someone tell me yesterday blacks are afraid to get the vaccine because of what happened 100 years ago. That they think the government is trying to kill them off. I am like what. That is nuts.

Strange considering thousands of white people are getting the shot. I will say 1 more thing about this topic, I think some players are offended because they are basically being forced to get the shot. Forced as in - if you don't get it you can't eat with your teammates, use the sauna with them, etc.. That is almost like mommy telling me, son if you don't do the dishes and cut the grass you get no dinner tonight. Difference is these are grown men. No man wants to feel like they being forced to do anything, especially putting something in their body they may not feel comfortable with, some of you may feel comfortable but maybe someone else doesn't. Not respecting both sides of this isn't being very reasonable, JMO. It is funny how Leonard agrees with me. Cole Beasley of the Bills thinks it is a bunch of bull as well. I read that on ESPN.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strange considering thousands of white people are getting the shot. I will say 1 more thing about this topic, I think some players are offended because they are basically being forced to get the shot. Forced as in - if you don't get it you can't eat with your teammates, use the sauna with them, etc.. That is almost like mommy telling me, son if you don't the dishes and cut the grass you get no dinner tonight. Difference is these are grown men. No man wants to feel like they being forced to do anything, especially putting something in their body they may not feel comfortable with, some of you may feel comfortable but maybe someone else doesn't. Not respecting both sides of this isn't being very reasonable, JMO. It is funny how Leonard agrees with me. Cole Beasley of the Bills thinks it is a bunch of bull as well. Ii read that on ESPN.

Florio said this exact thing in that video.  I think it’s sad how Beasley is being treated. 

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Strange considering thousands of white people are getting the shot. I will say 1 more thing about this topic, I think some players are offended because they are basically being forced to get the shot. Forced as in - if you don't get it you can't eat with your teammates, use the sauna with them, etc.. That is almost like mommy telling me, son if you don't do the dishes and cut the grass you get no dinner tonight. Difference is these are grown men. No man wants to feel like they being forced to do anything, especially putting something in their body they may not feel comfortable with, some of you may feel comfortable but maybe someone else doesn't. Not respecting both sides of this isn't being very reasonable, JMO. It is funny how Leonard agrees with me. Cole Beasley of the Bills thinks it is a bunch of bull as well. I read that on ESPN.

Most corporations in the USA are acting the same as the NFL, but don't get coverage because who creates Fan Forums to follow them?

Just now, jimmy g said:

Most corporations in the USA are acting the same as the NFL, but don't get coverage because who creates Fan Forums to follow them?

IMO, I think sooner or later everyone will be required to get the shot/vaccine at their work place to allow them to continue employment there. I can see it coming, if it happens this going to cause major problems because many will not get the shot. I will probably get it like I said yesterday, not afraid too but just waiting to see more data on the one's who have got it. The type of person I am I just don't trust anything at first, it takes time for me to gain that trust in something. With NFL players they basically don't have much time to decide on this because the season starts in 2.5 months and if they don't get the shot they will lose a lot of previleges and be frowned upon.

46 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I just came across this video from Dave Ramsey. This guy who called in is quitting because it’s mandated. Dave calls corporate america *s. Says he has a friend going through this.

56 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

On your first sentence, there are extremes on every topic that will make it about race or politics. None of my AA buddies are concerned with that narrative. 

As far as protocols, they out to give the NFLPA a vote, and make them choose. Something that would cover the most bases. My thought is they should give them one of option of ending all protocols, and saying "OK, no more protocols (except one weekly testing), but if you don't get vaccinated and come down with COVID and miss time, you don't get paid (which includes any guarantees being pro-rated).

The problem with that is that 1) one side of politics would have a hissy fit, and 2) the NFLPA will want their cake and it too (have zero responsibility and still get paid lol).

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IMO, I think sooner or later everyone will be required to get the shot/vaccine at their work place to allow them to continue employment there. I can see it coming, if it happens this going to cause major problems because many will not get the shot. I will probably get it like I said yesterday, not afraid too but just waiting to see more data on the one's who have got it. The type of person I am I just don't trust anything at first, it takes time for me to gain that trust in something. With NFL players they basically don't have much time to decide on this because the season starts in 2.5 months and if they don't get the shot they will lose a lot of previleges and be frowned upon.

Yeah it’ll happen sometime this year prolly. Once it gets the full FDA approval it’s pretty much a guarantee mandate like measles and all the other ones.

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Yeah it’ll happen sometime this year prolly. Once it gets the full FDA approval it’s pretty much a guarantee mandate like measles and all the other ones.

Keep in mind the mandate is really only for public schools. And the majority of states allow religious and other exemptions. Only a handful of states like Cali and NY have disallowed religious exemptions.

13 hours ago, Nickster said:

Sorry to hear that man.

Suicides overall are down though.  Probably a lot less stressful for working adults since few were working and the free money.

Correct. But I think as we come out of this and the “free” Money and other supported items run out, I think pendulum will swing hard the other way. And I think that is starting in some areas. 

8 hours ago, runthepost said:

Once it gets full approval, I think many people holding out will end up getting it. I know with the military ranks, that seems to be the number one reason people aren’t getting it. They fear since it’s not fully approved, that there’s a good chance something could yet go wrong with it. 

49 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Once it gets full approval, I think many people holding out will end up getting it. I know with the military ranks, that seems to be the number one reason people aren’t getting it. They fear since it’s not fully approved, that there’s a good chance something could yet go wrong with it. 

Tricky thing is, how is it possible to really know long term effects until it has been around for a while? I understand people who want some time to pass to allow for better data...

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Getting sick could mess that up” ???

Oh, the irony.   If Darius is concerned about getting sick, he’s far better off getting the shot than not.   It’s a night and day difference.

The exception is if he has health issues that the vaccine would make worse, and only his doctor would know that. 

But if his issue is simply anti-vax, then I don’t know what to say beyond very sad. 

I think he was meaning that being in the process of negotiating his new huge contract, not getting vaccinated is a huge risk for him, because getting Covid could possibly impact his new contract.

1 hour ago, life long said:

Tricky thing is, how is it possible to really know long term effects until it has been around for a while? I understand people who want some time to pass to allow for better data...

Only need 6-12 months of data for FDA approval. Clinical trial happened last March-April. Long term effects usually only take 2 months to show up. Plus real world data will probably speed the process up to sometime before September for approval 

13 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Yeah I was just putting that 100 years kind of as a point. We aren’t the same country we were even in the 70’s. 

I love Leonard. Don’t take this the wrong way but the stuff he posts on Instagram sometimes makes him look uneducated and not very smart. 

I think I am spared a lot of drama not having an FB, Twitter, or an Instagram account. LinkedIn is sufficient for me. :) 

42 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Only need 6-12 months of data for FDA approval. Clinical trial happened last March-April. Long term effects usually only take 2 months to show up. Plus real world data will probably speed the process up to sometime before September for approval 

I am talking about long term as in years...

56 minutes ago, Shive said:

I think he was meaning that being in the process of negotiating his new huge contract, not getting vaccinated is a huge risk for him, because getting Covid could possibly impact his new contract.

Didn't someone post that Darius is anti-vaxx?

I didn’t see any pushback, so I assume it’s likely true.

I don’t have a lot of patience or understanding for those folks.  

Get the shot!    Get!   The!   Shot! 

13 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Florio said this exact thing in that video.  I think it’s sad how Beasley is being treated. 

As has been said, the NFL and NFLPA need to be careful as to how far they go.  Onerous rules can be determined to be "force".  Policies and practices can be stronger evidence of what the mandate is rather than the absence of the written word.  And, not putting the mandate in writing could be viewed as a simple tactic to circumvent any laws. 

58 minutes ago, runthepost said:

While true, that’s not always the case. For example, the pills given to our troops in the Gulf War in 1991 to protect against the affects of Sarin gas were fully approved for use. Then years later, the pills were linked to tens of thousands of medical issues for those troops who received them. 

There’s been several others in recent years too. Such as a fully approved birth control device that was later linked to causing massive issues for tens of thousands of women who received it. 

The point it’s, no one can say to a 100 percent fact that there will or will not be long term side effects that we may or may not be aware of based on data we may or may not yet have. 

doesn’t mean the vaccine shouldn’t be offered, but it also doesn’t mean dismissing the potential, however rare it may or may not be, to this having unforeseen effects down the road.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Since you mentioned understanding. I think some are a victim of the intended bias their surroundings instills in them.  That level of mistrust does not come naturally with a simple lack of education.  Its the opposite.  Makes me wonder where he was raised and what the curriculum and classroom atmosphere of South Carolina St is, or if a more diverse experience at a bigger university or a military experience would make a difference.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yep, he is. I think that was what JimmyG's post was referencing.

I don't either, but I can only control my own actions, so I can't worry about them. I'll try to point out disinformation that I see posted on social media, but it's really tough to get through to people that have jumped on the anti-vax bandwagon. I respect everyone's individual right to make decisions for themselves. I just wish more people were making those decisions based on factual scientific information and not some meme that their cousin posted on Facebook/Twitter/etc.

11 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yep, he is. I think that was what JimmyG's post was referencing.

I don't either, but I can only control my own actions, so I can't worry about them. I'll try to point out disinformation that I see posted on social media, but it's really tough to get through to people that have jumped on the anti-vax bandwagon. I respect everyone's individual right to make decisions for themselves. I just wish more people were making those decisions based on factual scientific information and not some meme that their cousin posted on Facebook/Twitter/etc.

Here here. That said, I want to build on this by saying, it’s their lives to be lived how they see fit, who am I to judge 

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He isn't anti Vax.  He is anti this particular vaccine.    There is a difference

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He isn't anti Vax.  He is anti this particular vaccine.    There is a difference

If that’s the case, I acknowledge there is a difference. 

But the thing of it is….  This vaccine works.  90-95 percent efficacy is unheard of in the vaccine world.   The vaccine is a raging success.   The proof is in the numbers all across the country.

If he’s waiting for full official FDA approval, he’s putting himself, his teammates, the coaches and staff he works with, not to mention family and friends ALL at risk. 

The road back to normal is traveled only with the shot.   If there’s another way back to normal I haven’t heard about it. 

1 hour ago, life long said:

I am talking about long term as in years...

This doesn't happen with vaccinations. There is literally no precedent of side effects appearing years after vaccination. Historically, if you're good after four to six weeks, you're good forever. There have been plenty of studies that cover that time frame and beyond.

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If that’s the case, I acknowledge there is a difference. 

But the thing of it is….  This vaccine works.  90-95 percent efficacy is unheard of in the vaccine world.   The vaccine is a raging success.   The proof is in the numbers all across the country.

If he’s waiting for full official FDA approval, he’s putting himself, his teammates, the coaches and staff he works with, not to mention family and friends ALL at risk. 

The road back to normal is traveled only with the shot.   If there’s another way back to normal I haven’t heard about it. 

I would argue that the shot is the quickest way. It’s not the only way. Herd immunity is a thing but takes a lot of time, years to happen

46 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Question: if you have a group of people, 25. 20 of these people have received some version of the vaccine that offers supposedly 90 plus percent effective rate, 5 haven’t not.  Why should the 20 worry about the 5? The 20 are protected supposedly by the shot. The only ones who really have to worry are the 5. 

Bingo!  We've known that dynamic since the invention of the first vaccine 100 years ago.

This is what's scary.  Vaccines have been around forever, and people have always gotten them for their own protection against disease. Somehow the conversation has turned to where you are supposed to get a vaccine for another reason.  What motivated the switch?( a lot of people know the answer but can't say it here)

If an unvaccinated person got the measles, would a normal person blame themselves for getting the measles, or would they blame the unvaxed group of people for giving it to them? 

"I blame you for giving me the measles because you did not get vaccinated.  BTW, neither did I"  I dont get it.

47 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Bingo!  We've known that dynamic since the invention of the first vaccine 100 years ago.

This is what's scary.  Vaccines have been around forever, and people have always gotten them for their own protection against disease. Somehow the conversation has turned to where you are supposed to get a vaccine for another reason.  What motivated the switch?( a lot of people know the answer but can't say it here)

If an unvaccinated person got the measles, would a normal person blame themselves for getting the measles, or would they blame the unvaxed group of people for giving it to them? 

"I blame you for giving me the measles because you did not get vaccinated.  BTW, neither did I"  I dont get it.

The efficacy of the vaccine relies upon a high number of people getting it though.

If everyone else is vaccinated then you're safe because no one can give it to you. If everyone thinks that way, however, no one would get the vaccine. If everyone allows everyone else to be vaccinated, but does not get vaccinated themself, then no one ends up vaccinated.

11 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

The efficacy of the vaccine relies upon a high number of people getting it though.

If everyone else is vaccinated then you're safe because no one can give it to you. If everyone thinks that way, however, no one would get the vaccine. If everyone allows everyone else to be vaccinated, but does not get vaccinated themself, then no one ends up vaccinated.

I don't think people think about vaccines relative to what others are doing, per se.  They think if they get the shot, they wont get the flu.  A simple act of self preservation.   JMO.

Just now, DougDew said:

I don't think people don't think about vaccines relative to what others are doing, per se.  They think if they get the shot, they wont get the flu.  A simple act of self preservation.  Obviously they want to wait a bit to see if a new vax has side effects amongst the early guinea pigs, but once that concern passes, they don't calculate a social dynamic before they decide that the vax will help them or not.  JMO.

I agree to an extent. My primary reason for getting the vaccine was preventing myself from contracting COVID but I definitely thought about my obligation towards others as well.

When offered the vaccine, I had two real options:

1. Get it

2. Don't get it and stay at home until everyone else has got it

Only one of those is an effective way to stop the spread of the virus. I felt somewhat obliged to choose option 1 because if everyone chose option 2 then the virus isn't going anywhere and neither am I. 

I do agree that the primary benefit of the vaccine is protecting the individual receiving it. I do, however, also believe that people have as a social responsibility to get the vaccine - unless otherwise advised by their GP - for the reasons stated above.

1 hour ago, Mackrel829 said:

Even dr fauci has said that even at 100 percent of the population, people will still get the virus. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

Question: if you have a group of people, 25. 20 of these people have received some version of the vaccine that offers supposedly 90 plus percent effective rate, 5 haven’t.  Why should the 20 worry about the 5?

What if the 5 are the O line?

54 minutes ago, Mackrel829 said:

I agree to an extent. My primary reason for getting the vaccine was preventing myself from contracting COVID but I definitely thought about my obligation towards others as well.

When offered the vaccine, I had two real options:

1. Get it

2. Don't get it and stay at home until everyone else has got it

Only one of those is an effective way to stop the spread of the virus. I felt somewhat obliged to choose option 1 because if everyone chose option 2 then the virus isn't going anywhere and neither am I. 

I do agree that the primary benefit of the vaccine is protecting the individual receiving it. I do, however, also believe that people have as a social responsibility to get the vaccine - unless otherwise advised by their GP - for the reasons stated above.

Obviously if the side effects are less than the benefits, you pick option 1.

The only real reason anybody would choose option 2 would be if they thought the noninjurious reports of the vaccine were inflated.  (Maybe that's what Leonard thinks).  Basically, you will not take the shot if you think it might cause you harm. 

Therefore, you preserve yourself and reduce the chances of getting covid by letting the Other Poor D.B. (Patton Quote) get vaccinated by jeopardizing their long term health.

Both options are rooted in self interest and self preservation, IMO.  But you may also feel like a better citizen with option 1.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Even dr fauci has said that even at 100 percent of the population, people will still get the virus. 

Even the infamously infallible Dr. Fauci?! 

That's beside the point anyway. Far fewer people would get the virus if 100% of people were vaccinated than at any other number below 100.

My assertion was that the vaccine is more effective if a high number of people get it. Not that it will completely eradicate the virus if 100% of people get it.

Archived