Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BR Darius Leonard Contract Projection

danlhart87

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

IIRC, top LB (for 4-3) pay is 18M/year, which would equate to 90M over 5 years.

5/95 shouldn't shock anyone for a top 3 LB getting a new contract.

The bigger question, is he a top 3 LB? His PFF certainly isn't, and his stats were down last season. He'll still get the money though.

11 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The bigger question, is he a top 3 LB? His PFF certainly isn't, and his stats were down last season. He'll still get the money though.

Its a bit high for me but I expect him to get paid something close to that 

12 minutes ago, Nickster said:

He’s not worth that.

I can’t disagree. I love what Leonard brings to the table, but the Colts are looking at paying Nelson, an OG similar money. I don’t know if it is wise, paying both these guys a huge chuck of cap at their respective positions. 

2 hours ago, MPStack said:

I can’t disagree. I love what Leonard brings to the table, but the Colts are looking at paying Nelson, an OG similar money. I don’t know if it is wise, paying both these guys a huge chuck of cap at their respective positions. 

It is wise if you want to keep dominant all pro players in those positions. I don't think Q or Leonard would have any problem getting that kind of money in free agency. 

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Give him a blank check and the keys to the city.

He and Nelson are the soul of the team. Remove them and the team is easily 4-12 every season.

I think people maybe surprised  how Ballard handles Leonard. I don't think e is prepared to write  blank cheque.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think people maybe surprised  how Ballard handles Leonard. I don't think e is prepared to write  blank cheque.

Not a blank cheque but a very big one. You don't want to pay Q and Leonard what they are worth. If they are not paid what they are worth, every player on every other team and our team will be taking note. I think they both should be the highest paid players in the NFL at their positions. Q should break he bank for a LG and I think he will.

Leo Nard I know he is a all pro LB and he can and will set a record for highest paid LB on any team in the NFL.  I just don’t see it with Leo Nard though.  I don’t know maybe he doesn’t get the hype like LBers in the past has example Ray Lewis, T Suggs etc..  I don’t know I think we maybe be better off trading him for like 3 First Rounders and 1 third round draft pick.  Q omg we have to resign him I guess My priorities is OLINE first and Defense second?

He’ll take a deal... Ballard will offer him a fair price based on the current market which, as the article suggests, will reset it and make him the highest paid off the ball linebacker in the league. His agent will tell him to take it, as it isn’t good business to risk injury or holding out for a little bit more on a contract when the money is on the table... and you have a baby girl at home to take care of.

Darius Leonard is about to be a very very wealthy man. As in, generational wealth, if he plays it right. 

On 4/16/2021 at 10:45 PM, danlhart87 said:

I don’t think that position deserves that type of money. Unless cap money goes up a ton just can’t see paying linebackers that type of coin. Paying linebackers huge money has not worked out for many teams in the past. 

On 4/16/2021 at 11:22 PM, EastStreet said:

He’s a good player but is certainly the most overrated Colts player on this forum.  He’s decreased in PFF grade over his entire career and he is just a WLB.

This is what happens when your draft success is at secondary positions.  DL is a good exciting player with a neat persona, but he is average at best in coverage and can’t possibly make the impact of an edge player, a 3 tech, or a CB.  It will be very bad for the Colts long term if they pay any WLB like an edge and a LG as a LT.

Colts are currently sitting at $23.5m in 2021 cap space.

If the contract is going to look like what was suggested in the OP, then the Colts would be wise to make it a big signing bonus and use a good chunk of our current cap space to lower future years.

Leonard Current Contract:1yr $4.22m

5yr $95m extension with $45m signing bonus, $66m guaranteed(all but 2025+2026 base)

Leonard new contract:

2021: $3.385m base, $9.835m signing bonus(old+new) 2021 cap hit - $13.22m

2022: $6m base $9m SB - $15m cap hit

2023: $7m base $9m SB - $16m cap hit

2024: $8m base $9m SB - $17m cap hit

2025: $9m base $9m SB - $18m cap hit

2026: $20m base - $20m cap hit

That's what needs to be done.

That leaves the Colts with $14.5m in 2021 cap space still.

They could potentially do something similar with Smith(maybe $5m of new deal paid in 2021?) or wait till next year to try and work out a deal. If not Franchise him, then worry about Q extension next year or still have 5th year option to fall back on.

I know the Colts are not usually a big SB team but this will help reduce some future cap hits.

Hopefully the contract comes in more around the $80-$85m range though.

Either way, as been mentioned, you cant preach build from with in and take care of your guys and then let them leave. All words will ring hollow after that.

Get the deal done Ballard 

18 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Anyone thinking Leonard doesn’t deserve a big contract or that we won’t be giving him one has lost their mind. 

There is nothing wrong with giving out big contracts. Does the player deserve it? Is the position u are paying for it worthy of the money u r going to pay? Could u replace that player and expect some level of performance?

36 minutes ago, w87r said:

Colts are currently sitting at $23.5m in 2021 cap space.

If the contract is going to look like what was suggested in the OP, then the Colts would be wise to make it a big signing bonus and use a good chunk of our current cap space to lower future years.

Leonard Current Contract:1yr $4.22m

5yr $95m extension with $45m signing bonus, $66m guaranteed(all but 2025+2026 base)

Leonard new contract:

2021: $3.385m base, $9.835m signing bonus(old+new) 2021 cap hit - $13.22m

2022: $6m base $9m SB - $15m cap hit

2023: $7m base $9m SB - $16m cap hit

2024: $8m base $9m SB - $17m cap hit

2025: $9m base $9m SB - $18m cap hit

2026: $20m base - $20m cap hit

That's what needs to be done.

That leaves the Colts with $14.5m in 2021 cap space still.

They could potentially do something similar with Smith(maybe $5m of new deal paid in 2021?) or wait till next year to try and work out a deal. If not Franchise him, then worry about Q extension next year or still have 5th year option to fall back on.

I know the Colts are not usually a big SB team but this will help reduce some future cap hits.

Hopefully the contract comes in more around the $80-$85m range though.

Either way, as been mentioned, you cant preach build from with in and take care of your guys and then let them leave. All words will ring hollow after that.

Get the deal done Ballard 

I think  Leonard starts at 20 million

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

He’s a good player but is certainly the most overrated Colts player on this forum.  He’s decreased in PFF grade over his entire career and he is just a WLB.

This is what happens when your draft success is at secondary positions.  DL is a good exciting player with a neat persona, but he is average at best in coverage and can’t possibly make the impact of an edge player, a 3 tech, or a CB.  It will be very bad for the Colts long term if they pay any WLB like an edge and a LG as a LT.

Finally.....thanks lol. I think people maybe surprised how negotiations go.

5 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

I don’t think that position deserves that type of money. Unless cap money goes up a ton just can’t see paying linebackers that type of coin. Paying linebackers huge money has not worked out for many teams in the past. 

This D starts with the Dline. That's where u invest draft capital and money. I would even invest in corner before I would invest in linebacker. I would easily trade him for a man corner

34 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think  Leonard starts at 20 million

Well that's $19m a season on the extension. Kick in another $1m if you want. I think a $45m check in 2021 upon signing extension gets it done. 

33 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Finally.....thanks lol. I think people maybe surprised how negotiations go.

Which is it? He won't get what he wants or he is going to get $20m, like you said above?

How are negotiations going to go? Enlighten us.

8 minutes ago, w87r said:

Well that's $19m a season on the extension. Kick in another $1m if you want. I think a $45m check in 2021 upon signing extension gets it done. 

Which is it? He won't get what he wants or he is going to get $20m, like you said above?

How are negotiations going to go? Enlighten us.

I think Leonard will want at least 20 million. Ballard will push back.

He likes it here, needs to be a Colt throughout his prime years. IMO he is top 3 at his position, you can debate whether he is the best but top 3 at least. 5 years/90 Mill should do it = 18 Mill a year. We can't keep letting our best players walk to the people that want to see that, what do you guys want a mediocre team? He and Nelson both need to be re-signed and they will be I am sure of it. 

6 hours ago, Nickster said:

I don't see WILL as a secondary position. DE, 3T, and CB1 may be higher on the list, but WILL is critical to our D.

I agree he lacks sometimes in coverage, but honestly I think our scheme tweaks have impacted several players to the negative.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He likes it here, needs to be a Colt throughout his prime years. IMO he is top 3 at his position, you can debate whether he is the best but top 3 at least. 5 years/90 Mill should do it = 18 Mill a year. We can't keep letting our best players walk to the people that want to see that, what do you guys want a mediocre team? He and Nelson both need to be re-signed and they will be I am sure of it. 

I never said let him walk. I would offer him a contract. If he doesn't take it, then trade him. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I don't see WILL as a secondary position. DE, 3T, and CB1 may be higher on the list, but WILL is critical to our D.

I agree he lacks sometimes in coverage, but honestly I think our scheme tweaks have impacted several players to the negative.

People think I don't like Leonard. It isn't that. I think he is a tad over rated and I just don't value his position like the others u mentioned. I would not invest 18 plus million in a WSL position in this defense. The money and talent needs to b in the Dline and I would love a man coner.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People think I don't like Leonard. It isn't that. I think he is a tad over rated and I just don't value his position like the others u mentioned. I would not invest 18 plus million in a WSL position in this defense. The money and talent needs to b in the Dline and I would love a man coner.

I don't think it's an either/or conversation. You can pay Leonard, AND others. We simply need draft a legit DE1 and CB1 in the next two years and ride the cheap rookie contracts. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What would you offer him?

Honestly.  I would not invest a ton of money in any of the linebacker positions. I think in this scheme, you can get the players in later rounds. Will they b as good as Leonard? Probably not, but they don't have to be. I would not go an higher than 15 million and that even hurts.  I would low ball him. He would feel offended and I would pick and work a trade for a corner.

Archived