Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, richard pallo said:

I actually had the thought of resigning Gaethers again on a deal similar to Mack’s.  He is healthy again.  Might be worth a shot.

I don't know?

I feel Blackmon's best position would be SS, with having Willis also, FS would be the better pickup I think. Not a bad thought though.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

If he gets healthy and can stay relatively healthy, Hooker is a pretty solid player who can probably be had for next-to-nothing.  Was he worth a 1st rounder?  No.  Was he garbage?  Absolutely not.  

Was Hooker worth a first rounder?   No?!?

He didnt perform up to expectations, but he was NOT over drafted.   He was drafted where he was projected by most everyone.  He was called the highest rated safety prospect since Ed Reed.

It didn’t work out, primarily due to injuries.  But he was not a mistake.  And I’d be fine if Ballard wants him back.  I don’t think it will happen though.  Ballard made no mention of Hooker at his year end news conference, but he made sure to talk about Mack, and we know how that worked out.  

Just saying. 

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I don't know?

I feel Blackmon's best position would be SS, with having Willis also, FS would be the better pickup I think. Not a bad thought though.

I don’t understand this?   Blackmon may be 190 pounds dripping wet.   Ballard calls him a free safety.   Doubt there’s a Strong Safety in the NFL at 190.   

I don’t understand people who see a players rookie year and decide he needs a position change.   A head scratcher.   Whatever level of player the kid is, JB should get better.   So should Willis. 

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What do you think he would want/cost?

He had a $20m cap hit this season and left Bears with $9m dead cap hit. So he was at a $11m base contract.

So I'm not sure?

Would think that $9-$11m range might get it done?

Now this would be diabolical....

You heard it hear....Bears will sign JC Jackson and in effect give their 2nd round pick to Pats. Pats will trade Gilmore, #15, a 2022 1st, the newly acquired 2nd to CIN for #5 and draft Justin Fields. Pats will sign Kyle Fuller.

**Also, I did not come up with this. Pulled it from a Bears fan on twitter, but it's an interesting take

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t understand this?   Blackmon may be 190 pounds dripping wet.   Ballard calls him a free safety.   Doubt there’s a Strong Safety in the NFL at 190.   

I don’t understand people who see a players rookie year and decide he needs a position change.   A head scratcher.   Whatever level of player the kid is, JB should get better.   So should Willis. 

YUP He is NOT a SS He is a FS, who likes to hit!!:facepalm:

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Now this would be diabolical....

You heard it hear....Bears will sign JC Jackson and in effect give their 2nd round pick to Pats. Pats will trade Gilmore, #15, a 2022 1st, the newly acquired 2nd to CIN for #5 and draft Justin Fields. Pats will sign Kyle Fuller.

**Also, I did not come up with this. Pulled it from a Bears fan on twitter, but it's an interesting take

This is funny because it’s very possible. 

24 minutes ago, w87r said:

You never know. It sure seems as if he was willing to go $20m+ for Trent Williams.

Not to much money left and quite a few bigger name WR FAs left, maybe Robinson could be had at $14-$15m range?

Probably thinking all for not, but that is what the Golladay visit leads me to believe 

Sincere question:    Do we still believe this?   That we were seriously in the running for Trent Williams?   Last three teams.   What would’ve happened if we had won the bidding?   Maybe someone leaked us simply because we called and inquired.   Maybe we dropped out pretty quickly? 

As a franchise, we appear to be shopping at the 99 cent store.  And that’s WITHOUT signing TW.   How would we have afforded ANYONE if we signed him?   Feels like this story doesn’t match the reality. 

Your thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn't say he needs to change positions or even lose his spot.

I've always thought of Blackmon as more of the SS mold, since we drafted him. Even talks of maybe them playing next to each other(Hooker and Blackmon)

I just think it makes more sense if we are looking at Geathers and/or Hooker(which is a hypothetical) that I would rather bring in the guy I think helps out 2 positions.

Hooker backs up FS and if something happens to Willis, Blackmon could slide over.

Sincere question:    Do we still believe this?   That we were seriously in the running for Trent Williams?   Last three teams.   What would’ve happened if we had won the bidding?   Maybe someone leaked us simply because we called and inquired.   Maybe we dropped out pretty quickly? 

As a franchise, we appear to be shopping at the 99 cent store.  And that’s WITHOUT signing TW.   How would we have afforded ANYONE if we signed him?   Feels like this story doesn’t match the reality. 

Your thoughts? 

I absolutely believe we were in on Trent Williams and also believe we were the reason SF upped their offer from 4yr $80m to 6yr $142m.

I think we offered $22m or $23m, being honest.

We might shop at the .99$ store, but Ballard knew what Williams could do to our trenches and I firmly believe he was no doubt in on him.

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I know, it really IS possible... I mean Cam would be kind perfect in a way to mentor Fields on a side note

Definitely some moving pets but easily could be possible. I would be curious to know what Bill’s thoughts are on Fields. 

I wonder is there much of a market for Kyle Fuller. Most teams are at less than $10m in cap. Panthers, Chargers and Broncos are teams that have decent cap space as well as the Jags ( who have invested heavily at corner). So I’d say it will be between the first 3 teams above and hopefully us.

I shouldn’t say this to get my hopes up, but Rhodes was such an obvious re-sign for us, maybe Ballard had the inside track that the Kyle Fuller opportunity was going to happen. So he stalled the Rhodes negotiations. Of course he worked in Chicago for years and has contacts. Just speculation of course.

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was a SS when he was drafted if I recall which I am confident I do recall. Wills could be a HB LB and play close to the LOS. If I recall Willis was good at covering TEs.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

I absolutely believe we were in on Trent Williams and also believe we were the reason SF upped their offer from 4yr $80m to 6yr $142m.

I think we offered $22m or $23m, being honest.

We might shop at the .99$ store, but Ballard knew what Williams could do to our trenches and I firmly believe he was no doubt in on him.

Ok...   again.   What would’ve happed if we won the bidding?    How would we have handled trying to re-sign Houston or his replacement?   How would we have handled trying to re-sign Hilton or his replacement?  Or Rhodes or his replacement?   

I’ve noticed were not linked to any other big name OT, like Okung or Villanueva, just a modest backup level OT, Davenport.   Maybe it was KC who pushed up the bidding and not Indy?   Just thinking out loud. 

Feels to me the narrative doesn’t match the reality.   Just my thoughts from 1800 miles away.

PS — sorry if it seemed like I got up in your face over Blackmon.   Didn’t mean to. 

6 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

He was a SS when he was drafted if I recall which I am confident I do recall. Wills could be a HB LB and play close to the LOS. If I recall Willis was good at covering TEs.

I believe he was a FS when drafted.   And Ballard called him a free safety on draft day.   He’s a former cornerback for two years.  Typically, if you get moved off corner, it’s to FS and not SS. 

Ok...   again.   What would’ve happed if we won the bidding?    How would we have handled trying to re-sign Houston or his replacement?   How would we have handled trying to re-sign Hilton or his replacement?  Or Rhodes or his replacement?   

I’ve noticed were not linked to any other big name OT, like Okung or Villanueva, just a modest backup level OT, Davenport.   Maybe it was KC who pushed up the bidding and not Indy?   Just thinking out loud. 

Feels to me the narrative doesn’t match the reality.   Just my thoughts from 1800 miles away.

PS — sorry if it seemed like I got up in your face over Blackmon.   Didn’t mean to. 

This OT class is great so there should be 0 interest in FA

I strongly hope the LT is rookie 

If we would have signed him, we would've maybe had the best OL in the history of OLs.

I think we would of had to restructure a contract to clear up a little funds. 

Maybe drafted WR and tried to sign Houston back still. Or brought both back with the above mentioned restructure and went CB early.

All good, I knew it was coming with the confused emoji. Was doing something, but was about to post asking you why, but figured it was coming anyway. :)

Archived