Free Agency Archive Thread (Days 1-4)

3 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Robinson signs Tag. $18m

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Bears might regret that

2 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

Robinson might regret that!

:lol:

Doesn't mean they cant trade him. In fact that is the only way they can.

Now do I want to pay $17.9m? That's another story.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What are the options?

Riley Reiff and Eric Fisher seem to be the 2 most likely candidates left. Both cut by their teams so they don't count against the comp picks. Fisher would be my clear No. 1 option if it wasn't for that achilles injury that might take him longer to come back from. Former 1st overall pick that has recently found his way, continually gotten better. I have no clue why the Chiefs would cut him and then sign Thuney for more money than him. If Ballard can get him on a reasonable 3yr/30m deal, that would be great - guarantee him the first year to get back from the injury, draft a tackle in round 1 or 2 regardless and let the better man win the job. Ballard was part of the front office that drafted Fisher, so there's that connection at least. There are still good players available and cap space is rapidly decreasing around the league. 

Just now, PureLuck said:

Riley Reiff and Eric Fisher seem to be the 2 most likely candidates left. Both cut by their teams so they don't count against the comp picks. Fisher would be my clear No. 1 option if it wasn't for that achilles injury that might take him longer to come back from. Former 1st overall pick that has recently found his way, continually gotten better. I have no clue why the Chiefs would cut him and then sign Thuney for more money than him. If Ballard can get him on a reasonable 3yr/30m deal, that would be great - guarantee him the first year to get back from the injury, draft a tackle in round 1 or 2 regardless and let the better man win the job. Ballard was part of the front office that drafted Fisher, so there's that connection at least. There are still good players available and cap space is rapidly decreasing around the league. 

Reiff is signing with Cincinnati I believe not sure EF will be ready for camp

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Some of you severely doubt Ballards ability to draft a quality LT. He came in and made a statement getting Nelson and changing the entire culture of our line. Adding Smith was just the cherry on top. He has has struggles with EDGE in draft but based on his success rate on the OL I have no doubt he could find a high quality LT in the draft. I myself personally am hoping for Eichenberg . That or sign veteran to 1 year deal and have Radunz take over next year. 

From everything I've read, Eichenberg is the complete opposite of the OL-prospects Ballard prefers. There is a baseline for minimal athleticism that our front office apparently uses on O-lineman and Eichenberg is unlikely to be above that cutoff-line.

4 minutes ago, CardiacColts said:

I get where you are coming from, I really do. I personally have nothing against anyone here, present parties included.

In fact, I share some of your sentiments, granted to a lesser degree at times. Trust me, I would love a shiny new toy and a flashy new receiver. Heck, I am let down a lot of the time too. I was devastated watching us pass on DK Metcalf multiple times. Literally devastated, as pathetic as that is lol. I have wanted a big time 6' 5'' freak athlete WR on the Colts for as long as I can remember. 

With that being said, I try to center my interaction in various forums on what could be. I prefer for my interactions to be "fun" since we are all here in our free time expressing passion for our team. I have no doubt that if this same banter took place over a beer in a social setting, I would find it hilarious; however, sometimes the monotonous back-and-forth exchanges in a forum setting, where so much is misinterpreted and lost in translation, becomes daunting and redundant. 

I say that not as an insult to you or anyone else. I just want us to all keep our eye on the prize as we watch our Colts team take shape. No disrespect my good sir. 

P.S. Can't speak for anyone else, but I am 33 lol. Go Colts!

No worries my friend, it's all good. I'm in my 40's... and I do get under some skin from time to time, it's just that Richard gave me a softball I couldn't resist swinging at... :lol: Big fat one right down broad street

2 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

Reiff signed with Bengals

Fisher tore his Achilles in AFC Championship.

11 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Thank you however I would state most of my stuff as more cynical then negative, though I get that it could be deemed that way. I'm NOT a Ballard hater at all. Quite the contrary, however I think where I fall short with some on here and my take on Colts players is that the people on this forum do not realize this about me. I do not covet the players, meaning I'm a Colts Team fan, not necessarily the fan of the players. For example: I loved Peyton Manning, I mean who doesn't however when he left of course I missed him but I wasn't upset nor did I root for him in Denver. Because I'm only a Manning fan if he is a colts as I'm a Colts Fan. So because of this I have a tendency not to get all invested in the players that much. I know it's weird because I want the Colts to draft and sign good players, but it's why i can easily pass of certain players when I believe they are no longer that valuable to the team goal and it seems maybe cold and heartless I guess. I don't mean it to be. Cynical though I am all day long as well as I have a passive aggressive personality. You normally either love me or hate me, it just is what it is. It's never personal unless it goes too far but sometimes it's hard for others to read my room through my type written word. Not excusing anything, hope that clears up some stuff. IDK

As CB would say, "Look," I'm no better than the next guy and have made my share of mistakes, said things I wished I hadn't and did things that would make the biggest sinner blush.  The point is this:  Be a Colts fan.  That's someone who supports them when they are good, mediocre or when they suck.  I've seen it all from them in my 50+ years.  Don't give other Colts fans a reason to turn away from you, find reasons to join them.  

You do you, Boo but, remember this:  Whatever you do is a reflection on you.  Not others.

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Bears could have done what Denver did with Lindsay and rescind the tender

Yeah, I know, I just think they don't want to lose him for nothing. Could be argued that the only reason the franchised him was to trade him in first place.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Reiff signed with Bengals

Fisher tore his Achilles in AFC Championship.

I know. His injury is the only reason I'm not pounding the table harder for this guy. Achilles injuries are no joke, but if he comes back and can be as good as he was pre-injury for us, we have our O-line set again. Draft another tackle in round 1 or 2, have him start the year to see what he's got until Fisher is ready and then see where to go from there. If the draft pick wins the job, fine, you have an expensive swing tackle for 1 season in Fisher, if the pick needs more time, Fisher can take over. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Am I going crazy or did somebody else post about Reiff signing with Bengals yesterday and now all over Twitter he isn't signed...

Um what 

It was definitely reported last night. Would have to scroll back through Day 3 thread to find it.

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Am I going crazy or did somebody else post about Reiff signing with Bengals yesterday and now all over Twitter he isn't signed...

Um what 

You aren't crazy. I definitely remember someone posting the signing on here. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. It was on here though.

5 minutes ago, PureLuck said:

I know. His injury is the only reason I'm not pounding the table harder for this guy. Achilles injuries are no joke, but if he comes back and can be as good as he was pre-injury for us, we have our O-line set again. Draft another tackle in round 1 or 2, have him start the year to see what he's got until Fisher is ready and then see where to go from there. If the draft pick wins the job, fine, you have an expensive swing tackle for 1 season in Fisher, if the pick needs more time, Fisher can take over. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

Soonest he might be ready would probably be November I think and probably not at full strength. Not worth it and definitely worth a lot of money as you proposed"expensive swing tackle"

3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Um what 

Yeah, tbh, probably a lot of these deals haven't been "signed" yet.

23 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Some of you severely doubt Ballards ability to draft a quality LT. He came in and made a statement getting Nelson and changing the entire culture of our line. Adding Smith was just the cherry on top. He has has struggles with EDGE in draft but based on his success rate on the OL I have no doubt he could find a high quality LT in the draft. I myself personally am hoping for Eichenberg . That or sign veteran to 1 year deal and have Radunz take over next year. 

I assume I’m one of the people you’re talking about.   And that would be FALSE.

I have no doubt Ballard will find a long term OT in the upcoming draft.   But the key words are Long Term.  Yet, I have great concern that he can find someone ready to go on Day One.  That is seriously in doubt. 

And ask yourself this...  if Chris Ballard was confident of finding a Day One starter at LT in the draft, WHY did he reportedly throw $20+ million per at Trent Williams?   You wouldn’t if you think you can find a day one starter no matter how great Williams is.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have no doubt Ballard will find a long term OT in the upcoming draft.   But the key words are Long Term.  Yet, I have great concern that he can find someone ready to go on Day One.  That is seriously in doubt. 

And ask yourself this...  if Chris Ballard was confident of finding a Day One starter at LT in the draft, WHY did he reportedly throw $20+ million per at Trent Williams?   You wouldn’t if you think you can find a day one starter no matter how great Williams is.   

I agree with you here. I have complete faith he will find a great LT; however, I am not comfortable starting a rookie at LT this year. I personally hope we snag Villanueva for 1-2 years. 

Ballard 

Fx Sign There GIF by BasketsFX

Just now, CardiacColts said:

I agree with you here. I have complete faith he will find a great LT; however, I am not comfortable starting a rookie at LT this year. I personally hope we snag Villanueva for 1-2 years. 

Villanueva isn't great against the pass from what I read

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard 

Fx Sign There GIF by BasketsFX

Villanueva isn't great against the pass from what I read

He had one down year.   2020.   And it was down, but not terrible.   Otherwise he’s been graded among the highest graded pass blocking OT the last 4 years or so. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

He had one down year.   2020.   And it was down, but not terrible.   Otherwise he’s been graded among the highest graded pass blocking OT the last 4 years or so. 

If it isn't obvious, I want him... Wentz has to be able to find a rhythm and grow his confidence.

9 minutes ago, w87r said:

Soonest he might be ready would probably be November I think and probably not at full strength. Not worth it and definitely worth a lot of money as you proposed"expensive swing tackle"

I don't get into injury timelines, I obviously have no clue and every player is different. But from a talent perspective, getting him on a cheaper deal for multiple years due to his injury might pay off in 2022 and 2023. Obviously would prefer his achilles to not be torn ;) - but then he would be in the 15-20m a year range. So we might get a bargain depending on his recovery. Fisher is significantly better than Villanueva or Reiff when healthy.

Archived