Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford and the Lions have agreed to work on a trade (Merge)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not trading our number one for a QB that’s been beaten to death by  crap team for 12 years. 

people are seeing what Ryan Tannehill has done for the Titans and think that’ll translate into any other QB from a bottom feeder. Every day, there is a new thread about how we need to trade for one of many beat up QBs, Darnold, Carr, Stafford or the worst of all, Wentz. These guys are even remotely available because they’re likely all but finished in the league. With the except of maybe Carr.  I’d say half of them will end up being cut and out of the league by April. there’s only 1 QB worth trading for and that’s Watson but that’s never happening and if it did, it’d be a blockbuster historic trade. 

as for my solution, I honest don’t know. But what I do know is trading for a beat up and often injured pick machine or even riding Brissett another year would be a very bad move.

at this point, I’m fine with riding Eason, or trading up and taking a shot with a rookie. But I’d really like to see some consistency at QB, for 4 years now, it’s been a revolving door.  And If we’d trade for any of those washed up QBs, we’d be continuing in that

have you ever watched Stafford play football lol

I would definitely trade our #21 pick for Stafford. Do it Ballard! Otherwise, may take 2-3 first round picks to move within the top 8 of the draft to draft a rookie QB. Our options are slim unless you’re happy with Brissett under center again. 

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You really think Watson wouldn't succeed no matter where he went? Well if he goes to the jets like he wants, we can see if you're theory holds water.

Where did I say that? I never said Watson wouldn’t be successful wherever he goes. If you’re going to make an argument, you need to stay on topic in order for your argument to be credible. Running away from my counterpoint with another statement I never made makes you look foolish.

Your take your Stafford being a “stat qb” is a bad take as mentioned. You’re telling me you place Watson on the lions team starting in 09, he’s going to have significantly more success than Stafford? The answer is unlikely.

21 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I absolutely adore Lance! He’s one of my favorite prospects overall this year! He has a bright future!

That being said, Stafford. He’s ready now to win, whereas Lance still needs development and may not pan out as I hope anyways. Take the surefire star for 5+ years over the “maybe” that will take a year to settle in and might not even hit. 

That maybe can make us contenders for a lot longer then 5 years of maybe or maybe not getting past the wild card.

11 minutes ago, Boilermaker said:

Where did I say that? I never said Watson wouldn’t be successful wherever he goes. If you’re going to make an argument, you need to stay on topic in order for your argument to be credible. Running away from my counterpoint with another statement I never made makes you look foolish.

Your take your Stafford being a “stat qb” is a bad take as mentioned. You’re telling me you place Watson on the lions team starting in 09, he’s going to have significantly more success than Stafford? The answer is unlikely.

You said put Watson in at 2009 lions. Watson can make any team a contender. Heck if you wanna talk about the texans this year, Watson almost beat us twice and the titans twice

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Proven? What has Stafford done in this league? Has he won anything?

He plays for the Lions, a completely crap team but he’s a good QB. I would definitely think about trading the 21st pick for him. Because I think he might be our only option unless you don’t mind giving up 2-3 1st round picks to move up within the top 8 of the draft. There’s not going to be much option at QB, maybe you like Jacoby Brissett? 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Please for the love of god Ballard don't give up a first for a stat QB

For what it's worth,  Stafford is 8th in NFL history in winning 4th quarter drives.

And 7th in NFL history in come from behind wins from the start of the 4th quarter.

He's a little more than just a stat guy.    

I don't even know if the Colts like him at all?     I just think he's clearly worth exploring.    Maybe we like him but not enough to pay Detroit's price?     Who knows.

What I do know,  is that there aren't a lot of attractive options out there....

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Other than Lawrence, to me Lance is the best college QB out there but Hard to pass on Stafford if we can get him.

I don't know what this view is based on.

He played one game this year.    ONE.    And he was mediocre at best in it.

And h is level of competition is not very good.    So, it's hard to get a read on him.  

His off-season coming up will tell us a lot.    But that's in the future.    I don't see why he's earned your 2nd spot already?

The ultimate Chris Ballard trade package...

Colts give up:

2021 1st round pick 

2022 1st round pick 

Colts receive: 

Stafford 

2021 2nd round pick 

2022 2nd round pick 

Colts keep same number of picks, Ballard loves them picks, and has multiple 2nd rt picks 2 years in a row

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth,  Stafford is 8th in NFL history in winning 4th quarter drives.

And 7th in NFL history in come from behind wins from the start of the 4th quarter.

He's a little more than just a stat guy.    

I don't even know if the Colts like him at all?     I just think he's clearly worth exploring.    Maybe we like him but not enough to pay Detroit's price?     Who knows.

What I do know,  is that there aren't a lot of attractive options out there....

I just think he's not worth our first round pick. I would rather trade up for Trey Lance.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You realize that Lance is likely at least a year away?    Maybe more?

Maybe, but the talent is undeniable. He is the type of QB that is killing it in this league. Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Watson, Murray. That big arm QB that can reach any part of the field and can kill you with his legs.

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know what this view is based on.

He played one game this year.    ONE.    And he was mediocre at best in it.

And h is level of competition is not very good.    So, it's hard to get a read on him.  

His off-season coming up will tell us a lot.    But that's in the future.    I don't see why he's earned your 2nd spot already?

His 2019 season was one of the best seasons in college football history, it may be the best ever overall. He threw for over 2700 yards and had 28 TD's and no INT's, no INT's. He also ran for 1100 yards and 14 TD's. Last year Covid was going on, hard to judge anyone on last year. Based off that and watching him play I am ok with rating him 2nd.

I’d love to have Stafford personally, but his cost starts at a first rounder and is likely higher. 

Some people want to compare the situation to Alex Smith a few years back. Smith got KC a 3rd and a starting slot corner. 

stafford is slightly younger and more talented and Detroit doesn’t have an heir waiting like KC did w Mahomes. 

realistically we will have to give up more than we did for Buckner for a franchise qb

with the limited supply of decent starters available and quite a few teams looking for a starter (Indy, Chicago, NE, Wash, SF, possibly LAR, NYJ, Den) stafford is going to have a bit of a bidding war. Best bet is to make your best offer early and try to get him before the bidding ramps up

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You said put Watson in at 2009 lions. Watson can make any team a contender. Heck if you wanna talk about the texans this year, Watson almost beat us twice and the titans twice

Although I think Watson would be the better the option over Stafford, Stafford is still good and we can get him for way less. Your hate for Stafford is overwhelming :facepalm:. I don't get it but everyone has an opinion.

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I just think he's not worth our first round pick. I would rather trade up for Trey Lance.

Lance needs a bit of work. Plus it’s most likely gonna cost 3 1st round picks to move up that far. Would be terrible if he didn’t pan out. 

Ballard is going to acquire Stafford. I don’t see any other choice. I just hope it’s not for the 21st overall pick because that pick could be used to draft someone like Trey Lance. 

Dak - The price tag will be too high and he’s not leaving Dallas anyway.

Wentz - I think the Eagles have repaired their relationship with him by hiring Nick. He stays in Philly. 

Watson - Pipe dream, Texans won’t trade him to us. 

Jameis - Don’t want him. 

2 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Ballard is going to acquire Stafford. I don’t see any other choice. I just hope it’s not for the 21st overall pick because that pick could be used to draft someone like Trey Lance. 

Wentz - I think the Eagles have repaired their relationship with him by hiring Nick. He stays in Philly. 

Jameis - Don’t want him. 

I think Lance will be gone before the 21st pick anyway. I bet he goes top 10.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Although I think Watson would be the better the option over Stafford, Stafford is still good and we can get him for way less. Your hate for Stafford is overwhelming :facepalm:. I don't get it but everyone has an opinion.

What? I never said trade for Watson. That will never happen. He was suggesting Watson wouldn't win if he was on the lions in 09

13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Lance needs a bit of work. Plus it’s most likely gonna cost 3 1st round picks to move up that far. Would be terrible if he didn’t pan out. 

Lance is projected to go outside the top 10. Not exactly a long way.

19 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I’d love to have Stafford personally, but his cost starts at a first rounder and is likely higher. 

Some people want to compare the situation to Alex Smith a few years back. Smith got KC a 3rd and a starting slot corner. 

stafford is slightly younger and more talented and Detroit doesn’t have an heir waiting like KC did w Mahomes. 

realistically we will have to give up more than we did for Buckner for a franchise qb

with the limited supply of decent starters available and quite a few teams looking for a starter (Indy, Chicago, NE, Wash, SF, possibly LAR, NYJ, Den) stafford is going to have a bit of a bidding war. Best bet is to make your best offer early and try to get him before the bidding ramps up

It will take our 21st pick and our 2nd round pick next year.

Just now, CR91 said:

What? I never said trade for Watson. That will never happen. He was suggesting Watson wouldn't win if he was on the lions in 09

No but that is your way of saying Watson is much better than Stafford and most of your posts have been anti-Stafford. Watson would not have won much on that Lions team either.

1 hour ago, SR711 said:

Yeah, the problem is if this turns into a bidding war with some other QB needy teams such as Washington or New Orleans, 

I like Stafford and think he would be a really good get at the QB position, but not if it is going to cost multiple picks, etc due to this turning into a bidding war. Ballard probably feels this way too considering how he approaches free agency with a certain "price" in his mind for a given player.  

While Stafford does have some years left, he is on the downside of his prime.  If he was a few years younger, I would certainly be more open to matching, exceeding all offers.  

I'm thinking NO resigns Jameis now.  Don't see him hitting market IMO.

Stafford is going to be the best option for the Colts this offseason but i'm not all about acquiring him at any cost. As talented as this team is they are not just a quarterback away. There are other holes on this team. As important as the QB situation is I don't think it would be a good move to give up a bunch of your assets for a QB that probably has another 5 good years left. 

Also, I think the 49ers and Broncos are the important ones in all of this given where they pick in the first round this year. They can easily beat out what the Colts  or Washington can offer. If either of those two teams want Stafford the Colts are going to be out of the running. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No but that is your way of saying Watson is much better than Stafford and most of your posts have been anti-Stafford. Watson would not have won much on that Lions team either.

And your basing that on what this year? Do you know how many close games the texans lost. Hell we should have lost to them twice and the titans

8 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Jameis - Don’t want him. 

If we trade for Stafford  we had no intention of drafting  Lance

Just now, CR91 said:

And your basing that on what this year? Do you know how many close games the texans lost. Hell we should have lost to them twice and the titans

Point is that Lions team was worse than this years Texans team and Watson still went 4-12. Yeah they lost a lot of close games and would I rather have Watson than Stafford, yes but Stafford is good and not a scrub is my point. 

34 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

His 2019 season was one of the best seasons in college football history, it may be the best ever overall. He threw for over 2700 yards and had 28 TD's and no INT's, no INT's. He also ran for 1100 yards and 14 TD's. Last year Covid was going on, hard to judge anyone on last year. Based off that and watching him play I am ok with rating him 2nd.

I know all that.   I don't dislike the kid.   And I'm fine if we draft him.

I'm just saying remember,  his school plays a somewhat lower level of competition.   So, it's hard to feel good about any comparison.    One guy has somewhat lesser stats but plays higher competition.    It can get tricky.   That's why there are

so many misses on first round quarterbacks.

And I view the one game he played this year,  the one game,  the game in which he did poorly, as a bit of a Red Flag.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Point is that Lions team was worse than this years Texans team and Watson still went 4-12. Yeah they lost a lot of close games and would I rather have Watson than Stafford, yes but Stafford is good and not a scrub is my point. 

Never said Stafford was bad. I said he doesn't win and rather then spend a first on him, trade up for Lance.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know all that.   I don't dislike the kid.   And I'm fine if we draft him.

I'm just saying remember,  his school plays a somewhat lower level of competition.   So, it's hard to feel good about any comparison.    One guy has somewhat lesser stats but plays higher competition.    It can get tricky.   That's why there are

so many misses on first round quarterbacks.

And I view the one game he played this year,  the one game,  the game in which he did poorly, as a bit of a Red Flag.

Yeah that is fair enough, I just seen how dominant he was in 2019 and of course it was against lesser competition but still impressive.

42 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Maybe, but the talent is undeniable. He is the type of QB that is killing it in this league. Mahomes, Jackson, Allen, Watson, Murray. That big arm QB that can reach any part of the field and can kill you with his legs.

As I was just writing to CBE2006,  I like the kid.   And I'm fine if we draft him.

I'm just saying his evaluation will be much more difficult for a variety of reasons.   One, he hasn't played much.   Just one game in 2020 and he did poorly.    Two,  his competition level is not very high.   Three, I don't think he's actually started a good number of games.   I'll have to look that up.

So, it's likely he'll need at least a year to get up to speed.    At least.     If he starts sooner and does well -- great.   But you can't count on it.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

As I was just writing to CBE2006,  I like the kid.   And I'm fine if we draft him.

I'm just saying his evaluation will be much more difficult for a variety of reasons.   One, he hasn't played much.   Just one game in 2020 and he did poorly.    Two,  his competition level is not very high.   Three, I don't think he's actually started a good number of games.   I'll have to look that up.

So, it's likely he'll need at least a year to get up to speed.    At least.     If he starts sooner and does well -- great.   But you can't count on it.

Good point, but I think it's worth the risk. 

Archived