Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford and the Lions have agreed to work on a trade (Merge)

4 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Be glad we have a GM that doesnt do these panic moves

In the long run, this is a HORRIBLE move for the Rams

People have said that we would move down to take Fields

I dont see us handing over to get him, as I see him as a top 5 pick

Time to kick the tires on Jamies Winston......  Or wait till June 1 cuts where some QBs may be affordable and available

Honestly wouldn't mind giving Winston a shot for a year, but I imagine New Orleans will find a way to re-sign him.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Be glad we have a GM that doesnt do these panic moves

In the long run, this is a HORRIBLE move for the Rams

People have said that we would move down to take Fields

I dont see us handing over to get him, as I see him as a top 5 pick

Time to kick the tires on Jamies Winston......  Or wait till June 1 cuts where some QBs may be affordable and available

Snead and McVay don't have the luxury of worrying about the "long run" because they might not be around for it

they knew their time was NOW and they made a move; the Staffords got their warm-weather gig

Ballard and Reich are on firmer ground in Indy; now we'll see what they truly have in mind

I think the Rams might make the super bowl now, they have the pieces. I knew the coach didn't like Goff after one of the games at the end of the year. The Rams were trailing and it was 4th down in the 4th quarter. It was 4th and about 9, Goff was flushed after his usually 2 yard check down was covered. He ran, he had an easy first down but he slid. He ended up a yard short, the coach was none too happy.

On another note, the Rams were already over the cap, Goff has a hugh signing bonus they now have to eat. The only wany they can do this would be to re-sign Stafford to a huge contract and make year one basically a league minimum. Detroit gets a former 1st pick with a low cap hit if they want to cut him..

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

From what I have seen is the Rams are gunning for him. They seem more likely than the 49ers. 

No way possible the Rams can go after anyone let alone Stafford.  Rams are in the red with over $31 million.  Even if they cut/trade Goff they lose another $30m against the cap.  Rams are just another smoke screen debate just as are the 49ers.  The Colts clearly have the path to Stafford.

12 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

No way possible the Rams can go after anyone let alone Stafford.  Rams are in the red with over $31 million.  Even if they cut/trade Goff they lose another $30m against the cap.  Rams are just another smoke screen debate just as are the 49ers.  The Colts clearly have the path to Stafford.

You didn’t see the news did you?

1 hour ago, Colts1324 said:

WOW.

Is it possible the Detroit doesn't draft a QB now; and the Colts are within reach of a  trade-up for Trey Lance. 

Leaves Colts with Darnold, Goff, Wentz, and Garropolo as the only veteran options.

Maybe it's all a smoke screen from the Colts to get all the QB needy teams to get a veteran while they trade up!

I would love a trade up but I want Fields to Indy. Or possibly Wilson. 

The NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should step in and protect the integrity of the league.  Honestly he should force the Rams to balance their team's cap space before allowing this trade to be accepted.  If the Rams can not do so then this trade should be voided.  The Rams once again are over $31 million in the hole and now by trading QBs they what lose another $22.2 million for Goff counting against the cap and now add another ~$21.5 million for Stafford.  Am I looking at this right that the Rams are operating a team on a -$74.7 million contracts due in 2021?

If we are really believe in win now mode, I would call Houston to see if they willing to give up Watson to us. I'm willing to give 4 first round picks and anything else that won't put our team under too much stress. A lot of picks and maybe 2nd and 3rd stringers on our team for Watson. Filled the void through FA and we have ourselves a dynasty. 

Other options include:

Draft- Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones

FA- Dak, Winston, Newton, Fitz Magic

Trades- Aaron Rodgers

• Shive locked and unlocked this topic
1 hour ago, OhioColt said:

The NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should step in and protect the integrity of the league.  Honestly he should force the Rams to balance their team's cap space before allowing this trade to be accepted.  If the Rams can not do so then this trade should be voided.  The Rams once again are over $31 million in the hole and now by trading QBs they what lose another $22.2 million for Goff counting against the cap and now add another ~$21.5 million for Stafford.  Am I looking at this right that the Rams are operating a team on a -$74.7 million contracts due in 2021?

If Goodell was interested or allowed to protect the integrity of the league he wouldn't allow brady to go to 20 super bowls. :funny:

14 hours ago, Restored said:

Genuinely curious here. Why don’t you want Stafford and what’s your alternative?

I don’t want to bet the farm on a 33 soon to be 34 yr old QB who’s been beat to hell on a bad team year after year. 

as for my alternative, I’ve said repeatedly, I honesty do not have an answer. There’s really only one QB that could come in here and take us all the way, and he’s not gonna be available for anything sort of 4-5 1st round picks. So that’s not happening. 

But what I do know is guys like Stafford, Darnold, Wentz etc are available for a reason. And it’s not because they’ve played great.  I’d rather us start fresh or see what Eason has. 

9 hours ago, OhioColt said:

He doesn’t have too. The league rules already say they have too. The very day this trade is to become official, which is 4pm on 17 March, is the exact same moment the Rams HAVE to be under the salary cap. There will be a LOT of restructures and releases in the coming days and weeks from LA. 

and if you read the nfl rules, if they are not, the league office starts voiding contracts until they are under the cap, by rule, it starts with the most recently acquired contract... so in this case, Staffords for the moment. 

Saw this hypothetical scenario 

Raiders send: 17th overall pick in 2021, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, QB Marcus Mariota (to Texans), QB Derek Carr (to Colts)

Texans send: 2022 third-round pick, QB Deshaun Watson (to Raiders)

Colts send: 84th overall pick in 2021 (to Raiders), 2022 fourth-round pick (to Texans)

1 hour ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Saw this hypothetical scenario 

Raiders send: 17th overall pick in 2021, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, QB Marcus Mariota (to Texans), QB Derek Carr (to Colts)

Texans send: 2022 third-round pick, QB Deshaun Watson (to Raiders)

Colts send: 84th overall pick in 2021 (to Raiders), 2022 fourth-round pick (to Texans)

Hmmm trades like that don’t happen in the NFL. 

13 hours ago, Mindmaster said:

Honestly wouldn't mind giving Winston a shot for a year, but I imagine New Orleans will find a way to re-sign him.

They might, but that team has some major problems as they are showing to be 100M over the cap

They built this team to make the SB the past few years....

They will have to gut a significant chunk of the team....

My guess is that we get a shot at Winston (If we want to)

He isnt the end-all be-all candidate..... but he is someone that COULD be he guy, or could make us competitive until a Rookie (or Eason) is ready to play

The FACT is..... unless we have a horrible year.... we will not be in a direct position to draft the QB of our future.

This team is getting a little better every year...... even with Brissett, this team would win 8 or more games.

This makes things difficult when you dont have the QB of the future already on your team

CB doesnt hit on every player, but he does seem to do as well if not better at drafting than many other teams.......

To get our future, long term QB, and not mortgage our future we may have to ALSO look at the castoff pile of talented, but not right fits for teams...... This could include Darnold or Winston

With a good solid team with a running attack, and and a top 10 defense, an average NFL QB, we can win the SB..... Its happened quite a few times

We will see.... but after the past few season, it would appear that we will never be a leader in trading picks to move up, when others will always go deeper.....

11 hours ago, James Harden said:

If we are really believe in win now mode, I would call Houston to see if they willing to give up Watson to us. I'm willing to give 4 first round picks and anything else that won't put our team under too much stress. A lot of picks and maybe 2nd and 3rd stringers on our team for Watson. Filled the void through FA and we have ourselves a dynasty. 

Other options include:

Draft- Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones

FA- Dak, Winston, Newton, Fitz Magic

Trades- Aaron Rodgers

I can fully understand your thought, (I would LOVE to have Watson) but without the 4 first round picks the win now roster, would quickly devolve into the same situation that Houston is now. Houston has Watson, and a roster of aging has-beens, and a roster short on talent

The slow growth to improvement is MUCH more sustainable, vs a playoff team one year, and a 4 win team the next......

CB is building this roster to last, that may mean having an average QB with and excellent surrounding cast.

That MAY be enough....

History has shown us, and I think this is still viable......  If you can run the ball (it burns the clock), and play great defense, and play great Special Teams, you can win in January.  If you can win in January, you can win the SB

Frank R preaches get a little bit better every day to his players.....  Its clear they are taking the well thought out, measured steps in team building

I hope everyone sees the overall roster improvement over past 3 years (with the exception of QB position)..

That approach, though boring, at some point, will lead to a SB

Archived