Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford and the Lions have agreed to work on a trade (Merge)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prediction, Indy or New England. I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins don't try to get him and use Tua as trade bait..

Colts or New England, it would be a 1st and 3rd at least, maybe with Jacob Eason or Jarrett Stidham thrown it. The Dolphins would trade Tua, their own 1st and maybe a 3rd.

He went to college in Georgia, Ryan is on the block, could he be in the mix there?

My guess is Indy will make a crazy push..

Rivers had really good teams, he just failed. Stafford was given the worst of the worst teams and coaches. He's a "stat" guy because that's all he has, just win a shoot out. He's no injury prone at all, in fact he's one of the toughest QB's in the NFL..

4 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Rivers had really good teams, he just failed. Stafford was given the worst of the worst teams and coaches. He's a "stat" guy because that's all he has, just win a shoot out. He's no injury prone at all, in fact he's one of the toughest QB's in the NFL..

What would you call only two playoff games, zero playoff wins, and 7 losing seasons in 11 years.

20M cap hit in 21

23M cap hit in 22

I would argue he is a younger Philip Rivers with a better arm and more mobility on a cheaper contract.  This is a no brainer for the Colts.  I would guess that Stafford will get a lot of say in his destination.  My guess is it will cost the Colts a 2nd rounder to get him, unless there is a bidding war, then it might take our first.

4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

You’re nuts if you wouldn’t give up the 21st pick for Stafford. 

Sign me up. Pull the trigger, Ballard

You do realize he'll be 33 this year with no playoff success and 7 losing seasons. You really think that's worth the 21st pick?

The story is on ESPN.coms front page.   League sources say the Lions expect at least a first round pick. 

OK...   it’s out there.   Let the bidding begin.   I have no idea if the Colts have any interest?  I only know one option is now public for all interested buyers. 

I’ll try to add the link in a minute.... 

And here's your link: 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30766102/detroit-lions-actively-seek-trade-qb-matthew-stafford-sources-say

• NewColtsFan changed the title to Stafford goes public: Asks to be traded; Lions open to offers
4 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Come on now. He’s stuck in the swamp called Detroit. Last time I checked football was a team sport. What did Andrew Luck win?

Andrew Luck beat Peyton 3 times and went to the AFC championship. First three seasons he won 11 games each season. That a joke

6 minutes ago, tvturner said:

Proven to be a consistent top 12 QB in the league with consistent bottom 5 rosters and coaches

The last three seasons, hardly. Only last season he got 4000 yards and he's been injured two of the last three seasons.

15 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

To me this lowers their leverage on return value in a trade. 

The fact that he says he wants out? I would disagree. It's not like the lions HAVE to trade him. Worst case scenario, lions draft a QB at #7 and sit Stafford until a team gets desperate enough to ante up the offer. I could see your point if Stafford said he only wants to play for team X (e.g. Paul George situation with pacers), but it isn't the case. 

Similar situation with DW4. It's clear DW4 wants out, but the texans will still clearly get a haul for DW4 if/when they trade him since the NFL is generally a seller's market when it comes to QB's.

Of the options available, I like getting Stafford the best.   We have to be realistic.  There is no way the Colts can get high enough in the draft to get Lawrence or Wilson.  I think Fields and Lance are overrated.  And I don't know that Jones and Trask are any better prospects than Jacob Eason.  And there is no way the Colts would go into next season playing a rookie QB.  So that leaves Free Agents or a trade. Free agents aren't really inspiring.  The Colts need someone at the level of Rivers or better. So I would like Stafford/Eason next year.

Just now, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

He's won more than any other available quarterback or rookie. Our team is ready to win now,why wait and hope we draft a rookie who ends up being decent. Glad you are not our gm :jump:

Win now? Do you see all the holes we have right now? No QB1. No LT. No DE. A ton of our players are free agents. 

Archived