Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matthew Stafford and the Lions have agreed to work on a trade (Merge)

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect the Colts to give him a completely new deal if we trade for him. 4 year 100 million or 5 year/$120 million makes sense with an injury clause. 

Stafford would be the best quick fix for now & the distant future. If he plays 5+ years, it's a clear win. 

The only other solid options IMO are Trey Lance and Eason himself. 

People can complain all they want, but Ballard has to do something!

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm just saying. You don't put that on Watson

I am not see above but that is how most people think. I have seen a few posters in here blame Rivers for our loss at Buffalo and I was like confused GIF- he wasn't near the reason why we lost. Off sides on Turay giving them 7 points, missed chip shot by Rigo taking 3 away, miss use of timeouts at the end of game, etc. is why we lost.

4 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I don't get the logic of drafting a quarterback this year as a "project" when we drafted a quarterback last year as a "project."

i think they go with Eason as the backup to see if he will be ready to take over in two or three years. I don't think they draft another quarterback until they find out if Eason can play.

Finally someone with a brain.

Ok, everybody stay calm.

All that's happened here is that Stafford and the Lions have publicly said they want to part ways.

We're not the only ones interested.  There's something like six teams out there that have all expressed interest.

That means there's going to be competition.  There's going to be a bidding war.

Ballard and his team have got to decide if [a] they want him and [b] how much they're willing to give up for him.  The rest is just all sound and fury signifying nothing.

So... stay calm, and Don't Panic.

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm just saying. You don't put that on Watson

"You really think Watson wouldn't succeed no matter where he went? Well if he goes to the jets like he wants, we can see if you're theory holds water".

My point was, regardless, he went 4-11 with the Texans. To blame Stafford for not being a winning QB when he was in a much stronger division and played with a horrible organization is wrong.

5 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I don't get the logic of drafting a quarterback this year as a "project" when we drafted a quarterback last year as a "project."

i think they go with Eason as the backup to see if he will be ready to take over in two or three years. I don't think they draft another quarterback until they find out if Eason can play.

Yeah this notion about trading up for a project qb is baffling.

How many draft picks we want to have in that?

Already have 1 in Eason.

A trade up will require at minimum 2 more potentially 3.

So we will have 3-4 picks in project QBs on a team that is ready to compete now. Then still potentially might not have a viable long term option on the team.?

As you stated we cant waste anymore years, if we take a project QB, we will most likely be wasting 2.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Ok, everybody stay calm.

All that's happened here is that Stafford and the Lions have publicly said they want to part ways.

We're not the only ones interested.  There's something like six teams out there that have all expressed interest.

That means there's going to be competition.  There's going to be a bidding war.

Ballard and his team have got to decide if [a] they want him and [b] how much they're willing to give up for him.  The rest is just all sound and fury signifying nothing.

So... stay calm, and Don't Panic.

This forum wouldn't be the same if we didn't panic Season 3 Ok GIF by The Simpsons

2 hours ago, dew5150 said:

The ultimate Chris Ballard trade package...

Colts give up:

2021 1st round pick 

2022 1st round pick 

Colts receive: 

Stafford 

2021 2nd round pick 

2022 2nd round pick 

Colts keep same number of picks, Ballard loves them picks, and has multiple 2nd rt picks 2 years in a row

If the 1st round picks we give up are both in the 22 to 32 range, it's almost a steal.

1 minute ago, ColtJax said:

"You really think Watson wouldn't succeed no matter where he went? Well if he goes to the jets like he wants, we can see if you're theory holds water".

My point was, regardless, he went 4-11 with the Texans. To blame Stafford for not being a winning QB when he was in a much stronger division and played with a horrible organization is wrong.

Watson is younger and has won. You can't compare them

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Eason gets the start. He bombs out and we call it crap year. Then Colts will b better suited next year to make a move without have to use a  lot of draft currency.

The Colts will absolutely not give in next year. If anything, I think we load up with this roster.

We have some holes, but with a good draft and 2-3 good pickups, we're a very competitive team!

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not see above but that is how most people think. I have seen a few posters in here blame Rivers for our loss at Buffalo and I was like confused GIF- he wasn't near the reason why we lost. Off sides on Turay giving them 7 points, missed chip shot by Rigo taking 3 away, miss use of timeouts at the end of game, etc. is why we lost.

I'm not exactly blaming Rivers, but the defense did get him back the ball to win or tie the game. Just saying.

As long as we don't have to mortgage the farm...Stafford makes perfect sense. He is a legit top 10 QB that's tougher than nails playing on a bad team. Yes he's 32 but should have 4 or 5 solid yrs left. Everyone keeps mentioning his injuries but minus 8 games in 2019 (back injury) he's started every game the past 10 yrs. The dude is a fighter. For a 1st round pick and possibly a late rounder (if needed to sweeten the deal) id be all for it. However, If a team is willing to give up multiple high picks then I'd be out. 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

What? I never said trade for Watson. That will never happen. He was suggesting Watson wouldn't win if he was on the lions in 09

Lance is projected to go outside the top 10. Not exactly a long way.

Daniel Jeremiah had him at # 4 to the Falcons in his just released mock.

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This forum wouldn't be the same if we didn't panic Season 3 Ok GIF by The Simpsons

I think the only people panicking here are the three or four people who don't want him because they're afraid he's going to cost too much.  Everyone else is excited as heck at the possibility.  If Ballard wasn't afraid to trade the 13th pick for a DT I don't think he will be afraid to trade the 21st pick for a 33 yr old starting franchise QB.  And an excellent one at that. 

32 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

I agree. Not mention  if you were drafting  another qb you'd  want him to start immediately  or compete with Eason to start. Another project wouldn't  help us short term.

I hate losing a first round draft pick but getting a quarterback we know can play would be worth it. We can still get a tackle  and corner in the second and third rounds. I'd prefer we find a free agent pass rusher. We have not drafted well at that position anyway.

2 hours ago, dew5150 said:

The ultimate Chris Ballard trade package...

Colts give up:

2021 1st round pick 

2022 1st round pick 

Colts receive: 

Stafford 

2021 2nd round pick 

2022 2nd round pick 

Colts keep same number of picks, Ballard loves them picks, and has multiple 2nd rt picks 2 years in a row

Assuming we’d be willing to send two 2’s, which I’m skeptical of...    Detroit would never send back two 2’s to the Colts.   We might get lucky and get back two 4’s,  but I think that would be the most we might get back. 

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And I've seen him go 15 to the pats and 19 to Washington

Just pointing out there is a mock that has him going top 10.  There will be more and it is not unreasonable.  In the top ten, there are 5 teams who need a QB,  That is the most over-drafted position and there is plenty of demand.  

2 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Just pointing out there is a mock that has him going top 10.  There will be more and it is not unreasonable.  In the top ten, there are 5 teams who need a QB,  That is the most over-drafted position and there is plenty of demand.  

Just saying. He's being projected all over. Still early to say exactly where I guess.

56 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I wouldnt be surprised if Eason gets the start. He bombs out and we call it crap year. Then Colts will b better suited next year to make a move without have to use a  lot of draft currency.

I’d honestly take that over Stafford. You need a QB but you also need a LT, CB, and DE. Eason is the cheapest option that lets you still have the draft.

But if the asking price for Stafford is a 1 at the minimum, might as well go all in and throw in next years one as well and get Lance/Wilson.

Stafford isn’t a long term answer or an upgrade.

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’d honestly take that over Stafford. You need a QB but you also need a LT, CB, and DE. Eason is the cheapest option that lets you still have the draft.

But if the asking price for Stafford is a 1 at the minimum, might as well go all in and throw in next years one as well and get Lance/Wilson.

Stafford isn’t a long term answer or an upgrade.

Stafford is only 33 and has 5 good years left, if we give up a #1 this year it is not that big of a deal. We still have picks 2-7. Stafford is a proven good QB, I doubt 90% of our fanbase wants to sit through losing next year because we have a QB that is mediocre. 

so Stafford, at about 6 years years younger than A Rodgers and about 10-11 years younger than T Brady, is "washed up"? Doubt it.

as much as I would love to see Stafford (who has more "elite" talent, especially arm talent, than any Colts QB since Luck) in a Colts uniform, I suspect he'll end up with New Orleans, Washington, or Chicago, rather than the Colts.

if I were Ballard I might offer #2 in 2021 and #2 in 2022 and see what the reaction is (likely negative). I might--might--then counter with #21 and #84 in 2021, but if the answer's still "no" then I move on down the road. Maybe go after Fitz, name Eason the backup, go after some UFAs for left OT and possibly edge rusher.

6 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Rivers had really good teams, he just failed. Stafford was given the worst of the worst teams and coaches. He's a "stat" guy because that's all he has, just win a shoot out. He's no injury prone at all, in fact he's one of the toughest QB's in the NFL..

agree: unfortunately, one rumor is that the 49ers are already working on a trade for him

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think the only people panicking here are the three or four people who don't want him because they're afraid he's going to cost too much.  Everyone else is excited as heck at the possibility.  If Ballard wasn't afraid to trade the 13th pick for a DT I don't think he will be afraid to trade the 21st pick for a 33 yr old starting franchise QB.  And an excellent one at that. 

think it would take more than just #21--like, say, this year's 3rd rounder, or maybe next year's

52 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

I'd call that the Lions

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have already tried explaining this to him but he won't listen. You are wasting time lmao 

Apparently I need to make myself clear. I don't have a problem trading for Stafford. I have a problem trading a first for Stafford

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Stafford is only 33 and has 5 good years left, if we give up a #1 this year it is not that big of a deal. We still have picks 2-7. Stafford is a proven good QB, I doubt 90% of our fanbase wants to sit through losing next year because we have a QB that is mediocre. 

What else are you willing to trade besides our #1?

Because our pick is 21.   So if just one team before us is willing to trade their first — then we’d lose out since the other first would be better than ours.  

34 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Apparently I need to make myself clear. I don't have a problem trading for Stafford. I have a problem trading a first for Stafford

I'm ambivalent about giving up a first--would rather give up 2 second rounders--but in any event I think there are possibly as many as 4 teams drafting before the Colts who 1) need a QB and 2) aren't in a position to draft Lawrence, Wilson or Fields. They might be willing to give up their #1 (and maybe some other later round choices too) for Stafford if they feel that would get them into the playoffs as soon as 2021.

Archived