Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - QB Preference (now that PR has officially retired) (merge)

EastStreet

Poll - QB Preference  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your current choice for QB

• Roll with Eason
    • Roll with JB
    • Unlock the Swag
    • Sign FA Fitzmagic
    • Sign FA Winston
    • Sign FA Trubisky
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Lance
    • Trade our next two first round picks to move up for Wilson
    • Draft Mack with our 21st pic
    • Trade our 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up earlier in the 2nd to draft Trask
    • Use our 2nd round pick to draft Newman
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Stafford
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Carr
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Wentz
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Darnold
    • Trade a 1st round pick for Tua
    • Mortgage the future biggly, and trade our next three first round picks and next two to three 2nd round picks to get Watson.
    • Other - please list
  2. 2. Would you have preferred Rivers stayed one more year?

3. 3. How much faith and confidence do you have in Ballard to make the right call on QB?

• Blind faith, I have a picture of him in my house that I worship daily
    • Pretty confident
    • Not sure right now
    • Not a lot, but hoping for the best
    • Zero confidence

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2021 at 02:03 AM

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i were Wentz i wouldnt want to play for Chicago.  That coaching staff is on the hot seat. In 1 year that whole staff could be gone and their offense is talentless. Hes walking right into a pressure cooker. They are trying to save their jobs off of him.

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

The fans would meltdown.  They can’t trade him.  Didn’t he just get nfl man of the year ?x

I bet he would love to come to Indy play behind our OL

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If i were Wentz i wouldnt want to play for Chicago.  That coaching staff is on the hot seat. In 1 year that whole staff could br gone and their offensr is talentless.

He might not have a choice 

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Because there is more value to a vet being in the room - both mentoring and pushing the young guys and establishing a floor of performance both for the team and for the new QBs - if they want to play they have to reach that floor. 

There is going to be a vet in the room regardless. His role is what is determined. Yes mentor and show the guys how to work. Background assistance. That is why I think Alex Smith makes sense if he gets cut and not signed by anyone to play. Bring him in as strictly a mentor role and 3rd string QB. Would be well worth whatever money he would cost, because both young QBs are on rookie deals.

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

You are acting as if it's impossible to evaluate 2 young QBs at the same time. It's not. You already know what the vet is capable of in general. Now it's about whether one... or both(?) of the young ones can reach that level. IMO if one of them reaches it - you start him immediately. I don't want wasted games. The goal from the moment we draft a QB(or from now if we believe in Eason as the guy) should be to get the young guy(s) ready to play ASAP. And when they are... start them

I don't think it's hard to evaluate 2 young guy. I think it is wasted time to give their reps to someone else when it is taking away from evaluation/developmental process.

Im not one for wasting games either, but that term is open for interpretation.

1 of the young guys could just as easily lead us to middle of the pack, like some of these bridge guys. They could maybe even exceed it? Who knows.

My definition of wasting games in this instance is a guy that isn't our future holding back what potentially might be our future, to maybe go .500.

A bridge guy leading us to 8-8 is wasted games imo. 

Best way to find out what we have would be to play them.

Again, this is only 1 of the options listed and the one I prefer the least we are even talking about.

Who knows how it plays out?

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It is wasting a season for guys like QN, JT, DL, and others

I don't see it that way, and think they probably wouldn't either.

They would accept the challenge that if the team and themselves are as good a they believe that they are, they could mask any QB deficiencies that might come about. Whether that be a bridge, or a rookie/2nd year guy.

I think they would have more excitement for the future knowing the guy under center is who is planned to be there the next few years.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

If i were Wentz i wouldnt want to play for Chicago.  That coaching staff is on the hot seat. In 1 year that whole staff could be gone and their offense is talentless. Hes walking right into a pressure cooker. They are trying to save their jobs off of him.

Sorta like he’s trying to save his career off of Frank Reich & the Colts?

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Sorta like he’s trying to save his career off of Frank Reich & the Colts?

We have the more stable situation. It will be just like Rivers in terms of familiarity and he doesnt have to come in and carty the whole team like he will in Chicago. He wouldnt have to learn a new offense, he actually loves the HC, the OL is way better than his 50 sack Eagles team. We have a running game and those big receivers he likes to play with, and we may even have Ertz or Hunter Henry to go with it. And our staff isnt on the verge of being fired. Im sure Wentz isnt blind.

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If they were that confident in Eason he would have played some already 

When?

Honest answer.

When?

We literally had to play out game 16 to the end to clinch playoffs. No preseason.

So again when?

2 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

If they were that confident in Eason he would have played some already 

I agree that Ballard and Reich’s actions to date don’t suggest a whole lot of confidence in Eason’s present capability to be a starting NFL QB.  But I don’t think his lack of playing time this past season says a whole lot.  He had about $45M worth of QBs ahead of him.

Just now, luv_pony_express said:

I agree that Ballard and Reich’s actions to date don’t suggest a whole lot of confidence in Eason’s present capability to be a starting NFL QB.  But I don’t think his lack of playing time this past season says a whole lot.  He had about $45M worth of QBs ahead of him.

Not to mention those pesky NFL roster rules

21 minutes ago, w87r said:

Who knows how it plays out?

Sooner or later we will see I guess... I'm glad it's not me having to make those decisions. Ballard has been getting hit by weird happenstances and misfortunes from the start. So far so good, but that franchise QB guy decision is arguably going to be the most important one he will make. 

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Sooner or later we will see I guess... I'm glad it's not me having to make those decisions. Ballard has been getting hit by weird happenstances and misfortunes from the start. So far so good, but that franchise QB guy decision is arguably going to be the most important one he will make. 

Hey Stitches,

I also want to apologize for being all snappy with you. I have always respected your post around here

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hey Stitches,

I also want to apologize for being all snappy with you. I have always respected your post around here

Oh come on. I take it as passion, rather than being snappy. Apologies from my side too if I overstepped a line. The forum wouldn't be any fun if we all agreed on everything and didn't argue once in a while. Feelings are mutual. Cheers :cheers:

24 minutes ago, krunk said:

We have the more stable situation. It will be just like Rivers. He wouldnt have to learn a new offense, he actually loves the HC, the OL is way better than his 50 sack Eagles team. We have a running game and those big receivers he likes to play with, and we may even have Ertz or Hunter Henry to go with it. And our staff isnt on the verge of being fired. Im sure Wentz isnt blind.

Of course we’re the better fit for him.  I’m just not a fan of Wentz and how his career has spiraled downward.  The entitled stories coming out about him.  Him being a poor leader.  His refusal to take any accountability for his poor play. I don’t think he should just be given everything that he wants.  He needs to get back to earning things.  

If he comes here & struggles will we be forced to stick with him because of his salary & because he’s in good with Reich?  If he starts changing plays at will and messing up will Frank cover for him or hold him accountable?  If he’s pulled for Eason, will the leaks come out that he’s looking to be traded again next season?  I’m just very skeptical of Wentz’ character. 

You’ve got to have a high character guy at the QB spot.  The QB can’t be the player with character issues.  I hope Ballard & Staff do a deep dive on Wentz and don’t just let Frank spearhead us giving up serious draft capital for him.  No need for us to be desperate. The Bears are desperate.  Wentz seems desperate.  Let them work it out. There’s still better options for us.

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Of course we’re the better fit for him.  I’m just not a fan of Wentz and how his career has spiraled downward.  The entitled stories coming out about him.  Him being a poor leader.  His refusal to take any accountability for his poor play. I don’t think he should just be given everything that he wants.  He needs to get back to earning things.  

If he comes here & struggles will we be forced to stick with him because of his salary & because he’s in good with Reich?  If he starts changing plays at will and messing up will Frank cover for him or hold him accountable?  If he’s pulled for Eason, will the leaks come out that he’s looking to be traded again next season?  I’m very skeptical of Wentz’ character. 

You’ve got to have a high character guy at the QB spot.  The QB can’t be the player with character issues.  I hope Ballard & Staff do a deep dive on Wentz and don’t just let Frank spearhead us giving up serious draft capital for him.  No need for us to be desperate. The Bears are desperate.  Wentz seems desperate.  Let them work it out. There’s still better options for us.

Very well said.

I will support Wentz if we bring him in, but I would prefer to find a different option.

Cousins

Carr

Darnold(cheap low risk/high reward)

Bridgewater

Watson(not likely)

Dak(smaller possibility)

Lock(with rumors of Denver looking for QB?)

Mariota(bridge w/ potential)

Fitzpatrick(bridge)

43 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

If he comes here & struggles will we be forced to stick with him because of his salary & because he’s in good with Reich?  If he starts changing plays at will and messing up will Frank cover for him or hold him accountable?  If he’s pulled for Eason, will the leaks come out that he’s looking to be traded again next season?  I’m just very skeptical of Wentz’ character. 

Have we ever brought anyone in here under this staff and GM who was truly any of these things you have concerns about? Really anyone? I will answer for you by saying no. If you see us making the move im sure theyve done much homework.

Archived