Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still want Cam Newton and Andy Dalton over Philip Rivers?

chad72

The grass is always greener on the other side, folks.

Philip may not be perfect, he may make a few decisions that may cost a game or two over the season but he is still the best option for the Colts, that will get better with time. His history of picking up steam in November and December will continue and he will have us fighting with TN for the division contender title.

Even Brian Hoyer looked good in relief, so folks wanted to anoint Andy Dalton after a brief cameo. Once they made Cam Newton a passer, his inaccuracy loomed large. There is a reason why Peyton, who could not outrun a grandma (agree, it is a bit over the top, but you get the jist :)) in his final years, could still be effective. That is the same reason Philip will also be effective for us because he goes through his reads fast and can still hit folks in stride.

Anyone else with me? 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if any one said they want andy dalton they are crazy , but cam is around the same as rivers this season .   cam just had covid and because of the covid out breaks the pats barley practiced the last two weeks .  Also the pats had the most key players to opt out over covid and are down to practice squad players .  Put cam behind this line and watch the run game take off .   cam played one game less then rivers has 7 total touchdowns to 7 picks rivers 7 touchdowns to 6 picks .   its to early to say yet  to be honest , we will know at the end of the year .

I mean...besides one great game Rivers isn’t really lighting it up either.  I hope he does come on strong and uses this Detroit game as his final primer bc it’s about to get difficult schedule wise.

I kinda feel the Chargers, Bengals and Panthers all made the right decisions to let their QBs walk.  We got the best of the castoffs which may work or be average.  Next 4 games will tell us a lot. 

Just now, AwesomeAustin said:

I mean...besides one great game Rivers isn’t really lighting it up either.  I hope he does come on strong and uses this Detroit game as his final primer bc it’s about to get difficult schedule wise.

I kinda feel the Chargers, Bengals and Panthers all made the right decisions to let their QBs walk.  We got the best of the castoffs which may work or be average.  Next 4 games will tell us a lot. 

The Chargers have a bright future as long as they play their cards right. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Philip may not be perfect, he may make a few decisions that may cost a game or two over the season but he is still the best option for the Colts, that will get better with time. His history of picking up steam in November and December will continue and he will have us fighting with TN for the division contender title.

Even Brian Hoyer looked good in relief, so folks wanted to anoint Andy Dalton after a brief cameo. Once they made Cam Newton a passer, his inaccuracy loomed large. There is a reason why Peyton, who could not outrun a grandma (agree, it is a bit over the top, but you get the jist :)) in his final years, could still be effective. That is the same reason Philip will also be effective for us because he goes through his reads fast and can still hit folks in stride.

Anyone else with me? 

:scoregood:

10 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I wonder if the cowboys would be interested in trading for Brissett?

Doubtful 

Never wanted Cam in the first place, still didn't want him after he was signed for 1 million, definitely don't want him now. I think Dalton would do better here than with the dysfunctional mess he is in now, but it would certainly not be an upgrade over PR. 

18 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Yeah, Herbert is really surprising me. I thought he had bust written all over him.  Hope the kid keeps it up bc he is playing well for a rookie 

he looks good for any QB.   68.8% completions.  9TD's 3INT's.  299 yards per game passing.  QB rating of 107.1.   

Just now, Four2itus said:

Never wanted Cam in the first place, still didn't want him after he was signed for 1 million, definitely don't want him now. I think Dalton would do better here than with the dysfunctional mess he is in now, but it would certainly not be an upgrade over PR. 

Yeah. The Cowboys went from having one of the premier, most envied offensive lines to complete rubble. 

26 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

If we had given Brady 2 years like he wanted ?

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

If we had given Brady 2 years like he wanted ?

Brady wasn’t coming here even if we were interested.  Deflate gate was too much to get over and entertaining meetings with Brady would have risked losing Rivers who Reich and the OC were comfortable with.  In the end Brady would have played elsewhere and the Colts would have been stuck scrambling just like with McDaniels. The Colts made the best decision with what was available...doesn’t mean it was a great choice but at least it made the most sense. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Anyone else with me? 

All Rivers will do is win enuff games to take us out of contention for our future qb.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Anyone else with me? 

What I will take is Montez Sweat over Sin......

33 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Brady wasn’t coming here even if we were interested.  Deflate gate was too much to get over and entertaining meetings with Brady would have risked losing Rivers who Reich and the OC were comfortable with.  In the end Brady would have played elsewhere and the Colts would have been stuck scrambling just like with McDaniels. The Colts made the best decision with what was available...doesn’t mean it was a great choice but at least it made the most sense. 

Some said Brady was interested but wanted 2 years and Colts wanted a 1 year deal. I really don't know what the deal was. I'm just saying that Brady was available when we signed Rivers. Seems like TB and the Colts were the two teams that made sense for Brady and Rivers. Just out of curiosity and maybe you do know there's no way Brady would have signed in indy , which team do you think Rivers would have gone to if we waited a bit ? One with a better roster than the Colts (plus his familiarity with Reich) and one that would give him 25 million. 

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

You mean the Cam that just got benched for yet another dismal performance under arguable the best coach in NFL history?

Yep, the same one who's not a statue in the pocket and is still mobile at about 6'5 and 250...  The same one that's won League MVP and has taken a mostly average organization at best to a Super Bowl!!!

Plus he's a lot cooler and a snazzier dresser. haha

24 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Some said Brady was interested but wanted 2 years and Colts wanted a 1 year deal. I really don't know what the deal was. I'm just saying that Brady was available when we signed Rivers. Seems like TB and the Colts were the two teams that made sense for Brady and Rivers. Just out of curiosity and maybe you do know there's no way Brady would have signed in indy , which team do you think Rivers would have gone to if we waited a bit ? One with a better roster than the Colts (plus his familiarity with Reich) and one that would give him 25 million. 

I believe Rivers has shared that if he didn’t sign with the Colts, he would have retired.  For whatever reason, I don’t think there was much interest league-wide in Rivers.   It was Colts or bust for him. 

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe Rivers has shared that if he didn’t sign with the Colts, he would have retired.  For whatever reason, I don’t think there was much interest league-wide in Rivers.   It was Colts or bust for him. 

Yeah .. I mean if we signed Brady , Rivers would have TB and that's assuming they thought he was an upgrade to Winston. There was IMO no other fit that was ben close to being as good as the Colts for Rivers.

That said , Brady looks to have way more left in his arm than Rivers. My guess is that Reich wanted Rivers over Brady. Just found this .....

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/colts-tom-brady-philip-rivers/ija7iqui6i4n18vvjdppqstb4

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Anyone else with me? 

I think Rivers will wind up having a great season. Although he may be near the end of his career, he has enough gas in the tank to lead the team and play well. I saw the game against Cincy in Indy and he played lights out. He is definately the best option. All that said, Brady would not be doing great in NE either, the talent pool is gone there. Coach Belechick needs to draft well or sign some FA if he wants to pass Shula. 

Archived