Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Merrill Hodge Is An Idiot

Grav

I'm a Luck guy, but I truly feel like we're talking about the next Manning/Brady debate. Both of these guys seem destined to be great. Luck's been on the radar for a while, versus RGIII who just burst into the scene, but I love everything about both these players. Smart, great leaders, obviously great physical skills and intangibles...but the perfect combination of humility and competitiveness. Again, I'm hoping we draft Luck, but it'll be easy to root for either of these guys for the next 15 years

As for the "checkmark" analysis, it can be flawed. He's obviously saying he'd take RG3, but not putting down Luck in the process. Outside of decision making and accuracy, Leaf would have won the checkmark analysis over Manning in 1998

I'm a Luck guy, but I truly feel like we're talking about the next Manning/Brady debate. Both of these guys seem destined to be great. Luck's been on the radar for a while, versus RGIII who just burst into the scene, but I love everything about both these players. Smart, great leaders, obviously great physical skills and intangibles...but the perfect combination of humility and competitiveness. Again, I'm hoping we draft Luck, but it'll be easy to root for either of these guys for the next 15 years

As for the "checkmark" analysis, it can be flawed. He's obviously saying he'd take RG3, but not putting down Luck in the process. Outside of decision making and accuracy, Leaf would have won the checkmark analysis over Manning in 1998

Manning/ Leaf for sure. Manning/ Brady may turn out to be Luck, RGIII/ Tannehill,Weeden. Especially if Tannehill and Weeden go late in the 1st and have a much better chance to succede early with a team that has key players in place

The fact that he has them tied in Athleticism shows me he had a hard time with this topic. It's obvious RGIII if Faster and more agile even on the field, how does he Tie with Luck.

It's more than apparent that Luck is more accurate....and Don't even know how he messed that up.

My buddy and I just finished talking about this!!!! I cracked up hard when this is the first thread I saw right after the conversation with my buddy. haha

I will keep my thoughts about him private. He's entitled to his own opinion + I don't need another warning point. :(

well Lucks dismissed the argument that he didnt have a strong arm with his 70+ yard bomb that was right on the money, which unfortunately was dropped

This is just my opinion but i think most QB's in the NFl can rainbow a 70 yard pass. I gage arm strngth more on how fast a ball can get to that point.

I hope we are smart and pick Luck...there is no reason to pick RG3>Luck but there are reasons to pick Luck>RG3. Luck is 2 inches taller, had more consistent seasons, no injury problems(Rg3 had a torn ACL his sophomore year), And Hodge is saying he likes RG3 better just because it's the new thing, Luck has been the top prospect for 2 straight years, RG3 is a latebloomer. Luck is the obvious pick and I think if fans are mad about Manning leaving, even more would be angered by drafting RG3 trying to shock the world...Luck is the man for the job, now just pick him.

This is just my opinion but i think most QB's in the NFl can rainbow a 70 yard pass. I gage arm strngth more on how fast a ball can get to that point.

I disagree ... yes most QBs can heave the ball randomly 70+ yards; but how accurate are they ... I think Luck was trying to demonstrate not only his arm strength, but that he also had "accurate arm strength" by hitting a receiver on a route rather than just heaving it hail mary style. I think he effectively put to rest any questions concerning his arm strength.

I disagree ... yes most QBs can heave the ball randomly 70+ yards; but how accurate are they ... I think Luck was trying to demonstrate not only his arm strength, but that he also had "accurate arm strength" by hitting a receiver on a route rather than just heaving it hail mary style. I think he effectively put to rest any questions concerning his arm strength.

Also a according to some scouts & reporters he did it effortlessly after throwing 50 passes. One observer said Luck could've thrown it 10-15 yards further in an interview I heard on 1070 am the fan. I'm also not sure if Luck was throwing against or with the wind since there was a fair wind around. To me his 70+ yard pass did look effortless and I'm sure he could throw it farther if he went all out. But what was impressive was the accuracy.

Merril Hodge is guilty of what Rush Limbaugh said that media was doing towards Donovan McNabb. They are white announcers talking up a black QB because it makes them look politically correct. Like when Garth Brook said he listens to rap all the time. Right!!! I wish we could cut the color crap out and just evaluate players for how the play.

Merril Hodge is guilty of what Rush Limbaugh said that media was doing towards Donovan McNabb. They are white announcers talking up a black QB because it makes them look politically correct. Like when Garth Brook said he listens to rap all the time. Right!!! I wish we could cut the color crap out and just evaluate players for how the play.

Oh boy, here we go again... :hide:

Also a according to some scouts & reporters he did it effortlessly after throwing 50 passes. One observer said Luck could've thrown it 10-15 yards further in an interview I heard on 1070 am the fan. I'm also not sure if Luck was throwing against or with the wind since there was a fair wind around. To me his 70+ yard pass did look effortless and I'm sure he could throw it farther if he went all out. But what was impressive was the accuracy.

It was into the wind, and like you said, after making 50 throws. It seemed effortless and was right on the money, as well as requested, not scripted.

You guys need to to go to youtube and watch all the NFL QB Challenges and then come back on here and say how many can throw it 60 yards let along 70+. Just watched one where the best was 66 yards by big ben, Most were in the 50's with several in low 50's.

You guys need to to go to youtube and watch all the NFL QB Challenges and then come back on here and say how many can throw it 60 yards let along 70+. Just watched one where the best was 66 yards by big ben, Most were in the 50's with several in low 50's.

Nicely done on the avatar. :)

...and welcome to the forum.

He had the wind at his back on that 70 yard bomb.. Never the less he looked good

Thought they said it was into the wind. Either way, an impressive amount of touch. It is easy to have a ball sail with the wind, and easy for it to get knocked down against it. I'm excited for the future of Colts football, that much I do know.

Sometimes I think some of these ex-NFL media guys that had mediocre talent just have a grudge against any player with real top-tier talent.

Like Jamie Dukes.

Its an ego thing.

At least Hoge doesn't have that stupid haircut anymore.

does he no longer look like he has a square head?

Believe me there are plenty of QB's in the NFL that can't throw 70 yards. I'd say at least half would be under that. One of the announcers said Luck threw 75 yards? Anyhoo....it's obvious that Luck's arm strength is not an issue. He can do it all. His footwork looks much better than Manning's.

While "most" might be overestimating, you are underestimating ... I only went and randomly watched one QB distance challenge and all of the QBs: Brennan, Booty, Henne, Ryan, and Flacco threw 60+ yards, with Flacco throwing 70+; and off the top of my head I would bet Stafford, Cutler, and Palmer can all throw 70+ yards.... and the Russell & Boller from the knees throws are pretty well known as well. I am not going to waste time researching since the part of my post you are nitpicking was secondary to the point I was making & the fact that it is less common then I originally stated only strengthens the main point in my original post: Luck was trying to demonstrate "accurate arm strength" versus "brute arm strength", and that there should be no one questioning his arm strength anymore.

I wonder what Shanahan is thinking now, after seeing Luck and RG3 prodays.

He's probably thinking, "well so Luck can apparently throw 70+ yards with precision against the wind." At the same time he's probably still like, "RGiii has a great amount of potential and he's NOT Michael Vick fortunately."

Merrill Hodge just dislikes the Colts for whatever reason. I've never heard him say one positive thing in conversations about the Colts. He even rips Manning apart...what a sad and bitter man.

Dont want to break your bubble but given the circumstances and how the owner operates and the way today's Colts is, if you are not a fan there isnt much to like.