Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Biggest surprise of 1st Round

55 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just realized chargers didn’t take a tackle. They might get one in the second with Cleveland and Jones both still there.

I don’t think any team screwed up. Seems like everyone drafted really well.

They traded their 2nd and 3rd away to NE

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Oh wow. That’s terrible. What the heck are they doing. 

yes awful awful 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know what the bengals LT situation is but maybe they take one. Or a WR for Burrow. It won’t surprise me if that is Ballard’s 34th pick.

Cincy will draft OT at 33

The Packers drafting Jordan Love is the biggest surprise of the draft in my opinion. Rodgers has 4 years left on his deal, and Love won't see a snap in his rookie contract. I thought they would take a receiver. Green Bay's receiving core is suspect. You got Devonte Adams, then you have Funchess who's coming off a major injury, then the rest of them that don't wow anyone. 

1 minute ago, DownHillRunner said:

The Packers drafting Jordan Love is the biggest surprise of the draft in my opinion. Rodgers has 4 years left on his deal, and Love won't see a snap in his rookie contract. I thought they would take a receiver. Green Bay's receiving core is suspect. You got Devonte Adams, then you have Funchess who's coming off a major injury, then the rest of them that don't wow anyone. 

Not too surprised as Love is an ideal QB for a cold weather team.  Originally thought GB or Denver would target him early on once I learned he can keep a tight spiral on the football in cold weather.

55 minutes ago, DownHillRunner said:

Following stuff pre draft the packers looked like they were really interested in him. But when you have a team so close to the SB it was kind of dumb.  He is actually a lot like Rogers so should be a good fit, He just won’t see the field for two or three years. But he is young so he has time. Packers did this with Favre so not a surprise. At least we won’t have to hear about him for a couple of years. Hopefully we have found our QB by then.

6 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Chargers trading up for Murray.

He's a good pick but they should have used that pick on OL like Josh Jones.

Herbert is gonna die behind that line.

The biggest surprise in round 1 is Green Bay trading up for J. Love.  It doesn't make much sense from the Green Bay standpoint.  They just went 13-3 and lost in the NFC Championship game, A-Rod is still playing great, GB's GM said he expects Rodgers to play for several more years and Rodgers said he wants to play until he is 40.  Not only does Green Bay take a QB, but they move up to take him, costing more draft capital and in the process making it harder to get the top 5 QB they already have more help.  If Love does sit behind Rodgers for 3 to 4 years, having that 5th year option really lost a lot of its appeal, especially if Rodgers is still playing great in 4 years.  It could work out for them but IMO it makes more sense to get Rodgers more help to compete for another Super Bowl.

This pick does make me wonder about Rodgers' relationship with the Green Bay front office.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I just realized Josh Jones is not picked yet. Wow... I wonder if Ballard doesn't pull the trigger either on him or on Cleveland...

Barring a trade down.... I’m hoping for Jones and Pittman in Round 2

My biggest surprise is Terrell going as high as he did.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

For me it was Green Bay trading up for Love. 

IMO he wasn't needed as much as a couple of other positions they needed.

It's because Gms don't draft based on a the perceived needs of the upcoming year.  At least the GMs that do that don't last very long in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

The biggest surprise in round 1 is Green Bay trading up for J. Love.  It doesn't make much sense from the Green Bay standpoint.  They just went 13-3 and lost in the NFC Championship game, A-Rod is still playing great, GB's GM said he expects Rodgers to play for several more years and Rodgers said he wants to play until he is 40.  Not only does Green Bay take a QB, but they move up to take him, costing more draft capital and in the process making it harder to get the top 5 QB they already have more help.  If Love does sit behind Rodgers for 3 to 4 years, having that 5th year option really lost a lot of its appeal, especially if Rodgers is still playing great in 4 years.  It could work out for them but IMO it makes more sense to get Rodgers more help to compete for another Super Bowl.

This pick does make me wonder about Rodgers' relationship with the Green Bay front office.

They did the same thing when they drafted Rogers.  

I don't think it was a bad move.   Rogers could get hurt in the next couple years.   He could retire.  The Packers now have their future QB on the bench.  

For me it was surprising there were no trades until the Tampa - SF deal to swap 13 and 14.  I expected someone to trade up into the top 10.  But, I also see that the draft fell in line with what teams in the top 10 really needed and they all seemed to have gotten what they wanted after all.

#1 - Jordan Love drafted by the Packers - spending a first rounder on a QB whose rookie contract might expire by the time their starter retires is an extremely wasted pick while the team is in win now mode. If the team had a lot of picks and was rebuilding, you could understand the pick.

#2 - Inside LBs are devalued considerably now - so Murray and Brooks going in Round 1 were head scratchers, and with the Chargers moving up for Murray made you scratch your head more.

#3 - No safety drafted in Round 1 is a big surprise to me.

#4 - Dolphins spending a first rounder on a CB seemed like they relished the fact that they had 3 first rounders and could blow one even though they gave out big contracts to Byron Jones and Xavien Howard.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Just realized chargers didn’t take a tackle. They might get one in the second with Cleveland and Jones both still there.

I don’t think any team screwed up. Seems like everyone drafted really well.

No they wont they gave up their second and 3rd round picks this year to move up with the patriots so Herbert is screwed.

7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

Colts trade a 3rd rounder for Aaron Rodgers just prior to the 2021 draft.

3 hours ago, Myles said:

They did the same thing when they drafted Rogers.  

I don't think it was a bad move.   Rogers could get hurt in the next couple years.   He could retire.  The Packers now have their future QB on the bench.  

The Packers were not coming off a 13-3 season with a trip to the NFC Championship game when they drafted Rodgers.  Rodgers has said that he wants to play until he is 40, that's 4 more seasons.  Could he get hurt, sure, but he has been a pretty durable QB, without an extensive injury history and in this time of rules favoring the QB there is little reason to think he wont keep playing until at least 40.  Love could potentially not see the field, other than preseason, until his rookie contract is up.  I guess that Rodgers could become upset and demand a trade, then Love would become the QB.

12 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

The Packers were not coming off a 13-3 season with a trip to the NFC Championship game when they drafted Rodgers. 

They did finish 10-6 in 2004 and win their division.  So it is not like they were bad.   I just think they are doing what worked last time for them.   Maybe good, maybe bad.  

1 hour ago, Cynjin said:

The Packers were not coming off a 13-3 season with a trip to the NFC Championship game when they drafted Rodgers.  Rodgers has said that he wants to play until he is 40, that's 4 more seasons.  Could he get hurt, sure, but he has been a pretty durable QB, without an extensive injury history and in this time of rules favoring the QB there is little reason to think he wont keep playing until at least 40.  Love could potentially not see the field, other than preseason, until his rookie contract is up.  I guess that Rodgers could become upset and demand a trade, then Love would become the QB.

They will probably trade Rodgers in a couple years.  He will finish his career somewhere else.

Damon Arnette was the biggest surprise for me. Starting to spur on Mayock as a GM. I know everyone’s board and the way they grade people is different, but that was a huge reach no matter how you look at it. That one I just don’t get. Like other corners were available.

Archived