Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard is a tease

Trading up two slots to get the 5th year option really just makes too much sense not to do it (although it would have to be 3 slots with SF).  It don't cost nuthin'

Provided the player is an expensive impact player that saves you money by paying him a 5th year on a rookie contract instead of top 7 FA money to re-sign. I wouldn't trade up for a G or a S.

That would be QB or OT for this team as it is today, IMO.

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see it. We already have only 7 picks and to move up, we'd lose two picks minimum

I realize you’re happiest when you’re worrying but....

For example...

The move to go from 34 to 31 where SF is looking to trade down is likely only going to be one pick.   Likely a 4.

But if you want to toss and turn and lose sleep all night long...   be my guest. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For example...

The move to go from 34 to 31 where SF is looking to trade down is likely only going to be one pick.   Likely a 4.

But if you want to toss and turn and lose sleep all night long...   be my guest. 

Who do you think is worth trading up for? Do you really see Ballard trading up for a WR? You think a QB like Herbert or Love falls to 31?

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Who do you think is worth trading up for? Do you really see Ballard trading up for a WR? You think a QB like Herbert or Love falls to 31?

I’m not sure Ballard would trade up for anyone.   But I think the team that makes the most sense to trade up with is SF.   It would cost us the least and it would give the chance to only go back a small amount and get a decent pick.   It would also give SF the chance to trade down a small amount a second time and collect another pick(s). 

I think Ballard likes Love and would love to have him drop right into his lap at 34.   Would he trade up to 31 to get the 5th year option?   I’m honestly not sure....   

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For example...

While it could happen (I won’t rule it out but a guy he really likes would have to slip and he would have to feel he will be gone by 34) it would fly in the face of him saying he wants MORE picks and last year when he said he loves him those picks.  Again, not saying it won’t happen, I have no way of knowing, but i do think it would have to be about the perfect circumstance to do it.

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Everything we are hearing is no one has any idea where Love will get drafted. All the QB could drop outside of Burrow.

Even if a QB falls outside the top 10, the Pats, Saints, and Packers would be in play for a QB

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not sure Ballard would trade up for anyone.   But I think the team that makes the most sense to trade up with is SF.   It would cost us the least and it would give the chance to only go back a small amount and get a decent pick.   It would also give SF the chance to trade down a small amount a second time and collect another pick(s). 

I think Ballard likes Love and would love to have him drop right into his lap at 34.   Would he trade up to 31 to get the 5th year option?   I’m honestly not sure....   

Yes the opportunity is there, but unless a QB is there which is highly unlikely, there is no reason to trade up

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Even if a QB falls outside the top 10, the Pats, Saints, and Packers would be in play for a QB

There is stuff out there NE and Saints won’t take him in the first either. Right now he is a huge wildcard. TUA might even drop. Drafts are funny. Never know until it happens. Drew lock was the same way in last years draft. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is stuff out there NE and Saints won’t take him in the first either. Right now he is a huge wildcard. TUA might even drop. Drafts are funny. Never know until it happens. Drew lock was the same way in last years draft. 

Atleast three teams are taking a QB. Bengals, dolphins, and Chargers. Redskins is not out of the question. Which tells me only one QB is falling.

I think Ballard would trade up to 31 for Love. 

Probably an OT too, but I'm not familiar enough with the players to know which one is likely a good value at 31.

I read where he has shown an interest in Reagor.  A future #1 WR would also be a player to trade up for, if he thinks the WR can be a #1.

He may already have a deal worked out with Lynch for SFs pick.  Conditional that if certain players are still there at 31, its a done deal so to speak.

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I dont see the Colts supposed love of Love. Just me

19 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

While it could happen (I won’t rule it out but a guy he really likes would have to slip and he would have to feel he will be gone by 34) it would fly in the face of him saying he wants MORE picks and last year when he said he loves him those picks.  Again, not saying it won’t happen, I have no way of knowing, but i do think it would have to be about the perfect circumstance to do it.

To be clear....    I'm with you, 8818!    I am.   

I think it's more likely than not that Ballard sits there and lets whatever happens play out.     If Love falls to him, and Ballard loves him,  he'll take him.  But without knowing just how much Ballard likes Love,  I have no way of knowing if he'd trade for him if the cost was only a 4 to move a few spaces?   So, while I don't rule it out,  I think it's only possible,  but not likely.

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I dont see the Colts supposed love of Love. Just me

Ballard has been visiting Utah State games for two years.   We've had multiple threads discussing that here for two years.    That's why everyone is talking about it.

He saw the great year Love had in 18.    And the crappy one Love had in 19.    We just don't know how much Ballard and staff are interested.    Love himself says he's had multiple virtual visits with the Colts,  so there is that.     But we don't have enough info to honestly know.   

We're all guessing here -- me included.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Atleast three teams are taking a QB. Bengals, dolphins, and Chargers. Redskins is not out of the question. Which tells me only one QB is falling.

For what it's worth....

Teams that pick later in R1 that have been connected to Love as a possible QB are....

The Raiders,  the Saints,  the Patriots and the Packers.   

22 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Yes the opportunity is there, but unless a QB is there which is highly unlikely, there is no reason to trade up

I'm only talking about trading up for a QB should one fall for the opportunity to get a 5th year of contract for the player.    That might be worth a small move up to SF's spot.    I don't see Ballard trading up any further than that.    I'm NOT predicting it.    I'm just saying it's possible.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm only talking about trading up for a QB should one fall for the opportunity to get a 5th year of contract for the player.    That might be worth a small move up to SF's spot.    I don't see Ballard trading up any further than that.    I'm NOT predicting it.    I'm just saying it's possible.

That I can agree with, however I just don't see a QB falling that far

I think the issue is that Ballard might feel that he'll lose out on that one player that falls out of the 1st by another team trading to 33 immediately.  That risk, plus the appeal of the 5th year option makes it possible, not surprising to me, that he trades up to secure one of the premier players at the QB, OT or WR positions.  I would look for a more clearer explanation if it was some other player.

Rivers, AC, and TY will need replacing soon, so it might be more about being proactive towards the the future than about the present.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard has been visiting Utah State games for two years.   We've had multiple threads discussing that here for two years.    That's why everyone is talking about it.

He saw the great year Love had in 18.    And the crappy one Love had in 19.    We just don't know how much Ballard and staff are interested.    Love himself says he's had multiple virtual visits with the Colts,  so there is that.     But we don't have enough info to honestly know.   

I just think if they wanted him that bad, they would have stayed at 13. I truly beleive the reason they made the trade is that Brown and Kinlaw will be gone before pick 10.  This D has been a disaster when the D line cannot apply pressure.  I do admire Ballard for making the  decsion that I waited  for

Polian to make for years.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I don't see it. We already have only 7 picks and to move up, we'd lose two picks minimum

Unless we could package a player like Wilson, Hooker, or Brissett in the deal and swap one of our 2nd rounders for a first plus one of those guys who are all relatively young and probably similar value to a 4-6 round pick (maybe not Wilson, based on the fact he was a healthy scratch so often last year, I doubt teams would consider more than a 7th for him, if anything).

38 minutes ago, TheNextGM said:

If Tua drops out of the top 10, I hope Ballard finds a way to get up there. 

I hope not.  I see Tua being injury prone in the NFL and a major bust.  Could be wrong, but I really would prefer not to gamble on him.

19 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I just think if they wanted him that bad, they would have stayed at 13. I truly beleive the reason they made the trade is that Brown and Kinlaw will be gone before pick 10.  This D has been a disaster when the D line cannot apply pressure.  I do admire Ballard for making the  decsion that I waited  for

And it also came out that Kinlaw has bad knees... I won't be shocked to see him drop based on injury concerns on him. Buckner is young and playing at a very high level and has had basically no health issues throughout his young career.

The obvious move is to go after Miami's 26th pick. They will not draft 3 in the first round.

They will want to trade some of their picks for draft capital in 2021.

I'm sure they would listen to getting our 1st next season.

Hopefully they like Hooker. And take Wilson. Added with our 2021 1st we get back picks...

26 & 59. What fun to play GM.

45 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know if that’s a sign that. He loves Love as much as it is that he was doing his homework on him.  To me there are more signs he’s not overly impressed with this QB class, between trading the 13th pick, saying he’s not going to force a QB pick anytime he’s asked about it, and signing Rivers and keeping Brissett.  

I know the fans for the most part have given up on Jacoby but it’s pretty clear the Colts have not.  There isn’t really room to have three QBs on the roster that you think could all be starters one day.  If they draft a rookie QB they are pretty much drafting a guy to just sit and watch and not help the team at all for a year at least.  I don’t know if they are in position to do that.  

Ballard has hinted all off-season he’s looking at WR and line help on both sides of the ball in the draft.  They also could use another corner and safety if Hooker is truly on the market.  I also wouldn’t rule out a tight end even with today’s signing.  

With that said your last line summed up perfectly we are all guessing here and trying to read tea leaves that are often purposely misleading at this time of the year.

The only way I could envision Ballard trading into the back of the 1st is if a player with a 1st rd grade, and there are only around 27 of those, falls and is not drafted by pick 31.  It won't be an OT because the top ones will be gone, same for the QB's, WR's and ER's.  That player would most likely be BPA.  The only player that might fit that category would be the RB Swift.  And many Mocks have him going in the 1st.  So unless it's a premium player still on the board it wouldn't make sense to give up the draft capital when pick 34 is only a few picks back.  I still think he's trading back at 34.  He said he wanted more picks.   JMO. 

16 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

The obvious move is to go after Miami's 26th pick. They will not draft 3 in the first round.

They will want to trade some of their picks for draft capital in 2021.

I'm sure they would listen to getting our 1st next season.

Hopefully they like Hooker. And take Wilson. Added with our 2021 1st we get back picks...

26 & 59. What fun to play GM.

Rumor has it they are trying to trade 18 and 26 to move into the top 3 for a tackle. Then keep their 5th for a Qb.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The only way I could envision Ballard trading into the back of the 1st is if a player with a 1st rd grade, and there are only around 27 of those, falls and is not drafted by pick 31.  It won't be an OT because the top ones will be gone, same for the QB's, WR's and ER's.  That player would most likely be BPA.  The only player that might fit that category would be the RB Swift.  And many Mocks have him going in the 1st.  So unless it's a premium player still on the board it wouldn't make sense to give up the draft capital when pick 34 is only a few picks back.  I still think he's trading back at 34.  He said he wanted more picks.   JMO. 

Frankly if you have three guys at different positions you like at say 31 odds are one of them will be there at 34.  So unless Ballard thinks he would be getting a steal on a guy, much like he did when Hooker slipped ironically enough, I doubt he moves back up too.  

48 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They could want him but didn’t feel he was a first round pick. Ballard May like him but like he said he won’t force a QB. Maybe he has a second round grade on him. So he is basically ok if he doesn’t last until 34.

Archived