Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard is a tease

47 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don’t know if that’s a sign that. He loves Love as much as it is that he was doing his homework on him.  To me there are more signs he’s not overly impressed with this QB class, between trading the 13th pick, saying he’s not going to force a QB pick anytime he’s asked about it, and signing Rivers and keeping Brissett.  

I know the fans for the most part have given up on Jacoby but it’s pretty clear the Colts have not.  There isn’t really room to have three QBs on the roster that you think could all be starters one day.  If they draft a rookie QB they are pretty much drafting a guy to just sit and watch and not help the team at all for a year at least.  I don’t know if they are in position to do that.  

Ballard has hinted all off-season he’s looking at WR and line help on both sides of the ball in the draft.  They also could use another corner and safety if Hooker is truly on the market.  I also wouldn’t rule out a tight end even with today’s signing.  

With that said your last line summed up perfectly we are all guessing here and trying to read tea leaves that are often purposely misleading at this time of the year.

I don’t subscribe to the... Ballard is only doing his homework theory.  And the reason is this...   I’m not aware of Ballard visiting the games of any other quarterback and certainly not for two years.  Ballard visited enough games featuring Love that the National media took notice if it.   That doesn’t happen too often. 

All I’m saying is that there must be some interest.   And it’s entirely possible what Ballard saw from Love this past year turned him completely off on Love.   Just no way of knowing.

55 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t subscribe to the... Ballard is only doing his homework theory.  And the reason is this...   I’m not aware of Ballard visiting the games of any other quarterback and certainly not for two years.  Ballard visited enough games featuring Love that the National media took notice if it.   That doesn’t happen too often. 

All I’m saying is that there must be some interest.   And it’s entirely possible what Ballard saw from Love this past year turned him completely off on Love.   Just no way of knowing.

I do because most of the other major QBs in this draft had their games regularly on TV.  Also, just because it wasn’t reported doesn’t mean it didn’t happen or that someone else went to take a close look.  Going to watch a player isn’t really a good way to judge how much teams like or don’t like a guy.  GMs and scouts watch countless guys a year and watch even more on film.  That’s doing their homework.  I don’t know if the Colts love, hate or are indifferent on Love.  I do know there seems to be a large number of fans here who have their hearts set on him (not saying you are one) and they tend to look for anything that tied the Colts to him and it’s gotten played up a lot here because it’s what people want to see.

Again, this could be a case of where there is smoke there is fire and the Colts are highly interested in him.  I just don’t get that vibe about him or any other QB in this draft based on the moves the Colts have mad and in some cases the moves they haven’t made and what Ballard has said this off-season.  

I would just urge caution about using how many times a GM goes to scout a guy to determine that they are in love with a guy.  If you look back over the years of the draft there are countless tails of guys who got drafted by a team that the GM never scouted or even talked too.  There are others than got talked too and scouted just to put up a smoke screen.  We just don’t know.  

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I do because most of the other major QBs in this draft had their games regularly on TV.  Also, just because it wasn’t reported doesn’t mean it didn’t happen or that someone else went to take a close look.  Going to watch a player isn’t really a good way to judge how much teams like or don’t like a guy.  GMs and scouts watch countless guys a year and watch even more on film.  That’s doing their homework.  I don’t know if the Colts love, hate or are indifferent on Love.  I do know there seems to be a large number of fans here who have their hearts set on him (not saying you are one) and they tend to look for anything that tied the Colts to him and it’s gotten played up a lot here because it’s what people want to see.

Again, this could be a case of where there is smoke there is fire and the Colts are highly interested in him.  I just don’t get that vibe about him or any other QB in this draft based on the moves the Colts have mad and in some cases the moves they haven’t made and what Ballard has said this off-season.  

I would just urge caution about using how many times a GM goes to scout a guy to determine that they are in love with a guy.  If you look back over the years of the draft there are countless tails of guys who got drafted by a team that the GM never scouted or even talked too.  There are others than got talked too and scouted just to put up a smoke screen.  We just don’t know.  

GM’s don’t go to games that often over two years as a smoke screen, especially for a QB.   Watching games on tv has little value.  Watching the all-22 tape with angles that you don’t ordinarily see has value. 

Ballard saw Nelson once in person.  His pro day.   He knew then that’s who he wanted.   Deliberately didn’t see him in person any more to avoid showing public interest.   Our scouts saw him enough.

If Ballard saw multiple games in person in 18 and 19, that showed serious interest.   Even if the interest was to confirm we DON’T want him.  Ballard made Love his personal pet project.   That’s out of the ordinary.  That says something, to me at least.

Your mileage may vary....

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

GM’s don’t go to games that often over two years as a smoke screen, especially for a QB.   Watching games on tv has little value.  Watching the all-22 tape with angles that you don’t ordinarily see has value. 

Ballard saw Nelson once in person.  His pro day.   He knew then that’s who he wanted.   Deliberately didn’t see him in person any more to avoid showing public interest.   Our scouts saw him enough.

If Ballard saw multiple games in person in 18 and 19, that showed serious interest.   Even if the interest was to confirm we DON’T want him.  Ballard made Love his personal pet project.   That’s out of the ordinary.  That says something, to me at least.

Your mileage may vary....

They do go to take close looks at guys, what they saw we don’t know so just to assume he went a lot must mean they love a guy is a dangerous thought process.  It could be he didn’t have as many chances to watch Love due to being at a smaller school.  It could also be he wasn’t sure what to make of him too.  Just because he saw a guy a lot doesn’t mean he was a pet project.  He goes and watches a lot of guys, most of which don’t get reported on.  It just means he saw him a lot.  That goes back to doing your homework.  Again, there is a large number of fans here who have their hearts set on Love and they played up anything linking the Colts to him, and I think might have come across as the Colts having more interest in him than they really do.  I don’t know that though, it’s just a possibility.  

Also, we don’t know how many times he did go see him.  There was one report last season that he went to watch him and it came out later that Ballard had requested a credential but wasn’t there.  

Again, I am not saying you are wrong.  You could very well be right.  I am just saying we don’t know and I am trying not to fall into making assumptions.  If I had to guess I’d say Ballard went and saw Love a lot because he didn’t get to see him as often as others and wasn’t completely sure what to make of him since he plays at a smaller school against lesser competitors than QBs at bigger schools and the major drop off from last season to this season.  I think he was trying to get a good read in him.  To me that doesn’t have to mean he’s in love with him or that he’s a pet project.  For all we know Ballard may view the QB position as a whole as his responsibility since it’s the most important position and he spent just as much time in the office watching other QBs as he did Love in person.   With that said it could very well mean that he was highly interested in him.

Still whenever pushed on drafting a QB Ballard keeps saying he’s not going to force it.  He traded away the 13th overall pick and if he really was in love with Love it would have made sense to keep it and draft Love there rather than gamble and maybe not get him or give up significant value to go back up to get him.  He signed Rivers and sure having a vet to mentor a rookie isn’t unheard of but he also kept Jacoby.  There isn’t room on your roster for three QBs you think can be starters and get all of them the reps they need, especially a rookie that needs reps to develop.  I know fans don’t like Jacoby but listen to the Colts talk about him they still see a future for him.  So yes Ballard might have gone and watched Love a lot but other than that the signs point to the Colts not being sold on him.

I'm not necessarily in "love" with any of the QB's the Colts will have a shot at, and I would actually prefer to take my chances in '21 with a franchise guy.  But I have this sneaking hunch that Love is going to be available very late and will be too tempting for Ballard to pass up on.  Whether that is at 34 or if he has to trade up a little to the last 3 or 4 picks of round 1, IDK.  But I just have this hunch the "Lovers" are going to be very excited about this draft.

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I do because most of the other major QBs in this draft had their games regularly on TV.  

I would assume that NFL GM's would have the Mountain West TV package and have access to all the games of most conferences.  I doubt Ballard flips between the farmer 5.

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This was on Get up this morning.

I think the odds are pretty good. 

Frankly, if Ballard walks away from this draft with a QB that could be franchise quality (pick 34 and 75), a starting DT (pick 13), a legit #2 WR (pick 44) and a backup OT (pick 122, or trade 122, 5th, and 6th back into the 3rd), it would be a huge success, IMO.

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This was on Get up this morning.

This now has me completely confused.  I take CB at his word for saying he wants more picks, and I am perfectly fine with that.

Now, to think that he wants to get back into the first round makes me think that 1) he feels he’s going to lose that one guy he really wants, or 2) is just doing due diligence to see if he can get a sweet deal by bundling player(s) along with a trade to get value.

My guess would be option 2.

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

There are 3 positions worthy of trading up for, QB, LT and ER. There are 3 ERs, 1 or 2 of which might fall to the end of the 1st. He might be targeting one of them.

I don’t think a edge that drops to the end of the first is worth a move up.  QB and tackle yes. Maybe even a WR if he is in love.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think a edge that drops to the end of the first is worth a move up.  QB and tackle yes. Maybe even a WR if he is in love.

For the Coulture agrees with me. He’s pretty sharp. Taking an ER with our first pick.

18 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

I just don't understand giving up #13 if you want your QB. Not taking away anything from obtaining Buckner but this is a QB driven league.

Because ballard probably thought no QB was worth the 13th  pick. Buckner is a rare player that doesn’t come along often. He probably thought it’s easier to find a QB. 

5 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

For the Coulture agrees with me. He’s pretty sharp. Taking an ER with our first pick.

This is not a great edge class. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Because ballard probably thought no QB was worth the 13th  pick. Buckner is a rare player that doesn’t come along often. He probably thought it’s easier to find a QB. 

This isn’t a great QB class either. Doesn’t matter. ERs are hard to come by. 

34 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

There are 3 positions worthy of trading up for, QB, LT and ER. There are 3 ERs, 1 or 2 of which might fall to the end of the 1st. He might be targeting one of them.

You don't  think he is trading  up for a rb do you

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

No I don’t think so.

Gil Brandt has 4 ERs in the top 40. Gross-Matos is ranked 26 and Love is 21. How do we know Ballard isn’t going after Matos if he falls a bit?  If he has decided against Love it would make sense. WR group is deep. No need to move up for the them.

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'm actually warming up to the idea.  Both Swift and Taylor are mocked to go to KC or some other team in the late first.  There is a huge dropoff in talent, IMO, from those two to the rest.

And our future at RB is uncertain, since Mack doesn't seem to be involved as a receiver and has not been extended.  Not sold on him being a core player.

If all it took was pick 122 (proper value per chart) to go from 34 to 31 to upgrade from Mack to Taylor or to Swift and get the 5th year option, I think its an easy decision for me.

55 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

It wouldn't be silly to trade up to get a top talent at our biggest position of need. So no.

There will be plenty of solid WRs in this class no need to trade up. 

You NEVER EVER trade up for a WR.

A WR isn't going to bring your team a title but drafting the right QB could completely turn your franchise around. 

16 minutes ago, Stephen said:

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm actually warming up to the idea.  Both Swift and Taylor are mocked to go to KC or some other team in the late first.  There is a huge dropoff in talent, IMO, from those two to the rest.

And our future at RB is uncertain, since Mack doesn't seem to be involved as a receiver and has not been extended.  Not sold on him being a core player.

If all it took was pick 122 (proper value per chart) to go from 34 to 31 to upgrade from Mack to Taylor or to Swift and get the 5th year option, I think its an easy decision for me.

I think he is too.  For all of the reasons you mentioned.  Premium player at the back of the draft.  Schraeger just did a mock with Swift going to the Pats in the 1st rd and they have Michel.  Not sure either one would make it that far but I would do it.  Get a WR later.  

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he is too.  For all of the reasons you mentioned.  Premium player at the back of the draft.  Schraeger just did a mock with Swift going to the Pats in the 1st rd and they have Michel.  Not sure either one would make it that far but I would do it.  Get a WR later.  

I don't normally like giving up a first for a RB, too much of an injury concern, but this offense need playmakers at the skill positions and having a real threat at RB could make a big difference for Rivers.

Swift and Taylor are two RBs that would be threat to get a 1st down on any play, whether they got the ball via handoff or short pass.  That is a player the defense would have to worry about.  As it stands, Mack is just really a handoff threat and not really a tackle breaker, he's more of a juke and hit the crease guy...which both Swift and Taylor can do too.

Depending upon who falls or not, I think the quality of OTs at 31 and 44 will be about the same, as well as WRs, but the dropoff in RB from 31 to 44 will be huge, so I can see giving up pick 122 to from 34 to 31 to get the RB makes some sense.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

I would assume that NFL GM's would have the Mountain West TV package and have access to all the games of most conferences.  I doubt Ballard flips between the farmer 5.

Reportedly, he uses bunny ears...and hates that he gets stuck watching ND every week. 

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't normally like giving up a first for a RB, too much of an injury concern, but this offense need playmakers at the skill positions and having a real threat at RB could make a big difference for Rivers.

Swift and Taylor are two RBs that would be threat to get a 1st down on any play, whether they got the ball via handoff or short pass.  That is a player the defense would have to worry about.  As it stands, Mack is just really a handoff threat and not really a tackle breaker, he's more of a juke and hit the crease guy...which both Swift and Taylor can do too.

Depending upon who falls or not, I think the quality of OTs at 31 and 44 will be about the same, as well as WRs, but the dropoff in RB from 31 to 44 will be huge, so I can see giving up pick 122 to from 34 to 31 to get the RB makes some sense.

Yeah...if the Colts are drafting a RB...it will have to be early. Those guys aren’t getting out of the 2nd round likely.

He’s pretty smart about trading for a next year pick with a team that is going to be picking high.  That’s who he’d want to trade with this year. 

So, who do you think will be picking, say, top 5 next year?  I’d guess the Skins, Giants, Jets, Bengals, and Panthers.  Maybe the Jags but they won’t trade with us.  

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

He’s pretty smart about trading for a next year pick with a team that is going to be picking high.  That’s who he’d want to trade with this year. 

So, who do you think will be picking, say, top 5 next year?  I’d guess the Skins, Giants, Jets, Bengals, and Panthers.  Maybe the Jags but they won’t trade with us.  

Panthers

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I think darrington evans my get picked later. He looks good

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I think darrington evans my get picked later. He looks good

Could be.  I'm just thinking about Ballard's previous comments about wanting to build a group of core players.  I'm not sure that Mack is a complete enough, and maybe Hooker isn't either.  I suppose there is a strategy where you pick players, develop them, then let them sign elsewhere and get a comp pick in return while you spend your dollars on the core.  I'm thinking more that Hooker and Mack maybe those players, so its not out of the question you start looking for there replacements this draft.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Then trade back and pick up more picks. He wanted more picks anyway. That would have made more sense. Otherwise, he is going to have to give up picks to move back into the 1st or possibly trade a good player if suitable. 

There's only so many round 1 ranked players on any given board, and it'd be typically smaller than 32. Second round rankings is a larger pool.

You look at trade up possibilities in case there's someone YOU have with a round one grade that drops enough for you to consider making the trade to move up for him. 

I think it's silly to say you NEVER trade up for position xxxxx. There's a lot that'd go into the decision than just  what position it is.

30 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

In normal years Yes.  I'm thinking the other way.  I'm thinking a player or a pick this year is more valuable than a pick next year.  I'm of the opinion the college football season we are used to is in jeopardy.  There might not be that many teams playing or it could be shortened.  We don't really know.  We spend a lot of time and money on evaluating players and that could be entirely different this coming college football season.  I would think we would have less information on many of the prospects for the coming year.  I would be in favor of trying to improve the team this year with trading a future pick.  We know a lot about this years class.  That is a certainty.  Next year could be an entirely different story.  JMO

Archived