Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Where were you when the Colts came back to beat the Patriots in the 2006?

NannyMcafee

This sounds strange but I talked to my fathers cremation urn. He had passed away just a couple of weeks before this game. 

He had been a longtime Bear fan until he seen Peyton Manning play. He never missed watching the Colts play from Manning's first game till he passed.

He thought Peyton was the best QB he ever seen play and said it quite often.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

This sounds strange but I talked to my fathers cremation urn. He had passed away just a couple of weeks before this game. 

He had been a longtime Bear fan until he seen Peyton Manning play. He never missed watching the Colts play from Manning's first game till he passed.

He thought Peyton was the best QB he ever seen play and said it quite often.

Yeah like I posted above, I watched that game by myself. I had friends throwing football parties wanting me to come over but I was so nervous I wanted to be by myself. That was the biggest game in Peyton's career. We had to win that game. I actually went to the 2009 4th and 2 game which was probably the 2nd best win we ever had vs the Pats. That put us 9-0 and sewed up HFA at that point with the 35-34 win. 

The Championship was on the line in 2006 though, I shut my phone off even until the game was over. I couldn't even eat until it was over, I drink a crap load of beer during that game to numb my nerves haha . After the game I ordered a huge Pizza and was calling everyone lmao . That was the happiest I had ever been sports wise, only the Cubs winning the WS matches that in my lifetime. I knew we would beat the Bears, the real SB was us vs the Pats in 2006/07.

8 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

Good post.

How many of you that transferred seats to LOS got better seats or worse?

Level 3 in LOS is primo to  me.    Best seats in the house and impossible to get.   

Curious how the change over went 

I'm not really sure what you are asking, however if you are only talking about seats originally from RCA to the Luke, that doesn't apply to me personally. Speaking of the AFC champ game here in this thread, I bought tickets online at 450 a pop and flew out from Virginia. While my family had season tickets to Baltimore for years, when the Colts moved to Indiana my family did not extend the season tickets as they lived in Virginia, even though they were offered the chance. So every game I personally have attended either in RCA or the Luke, I have bought on secondary market and traveled out.

I remember distinctly how it felt to leave the Dome after losing to the Steelers the year before.  Was so crowded & cramped & it took forever.  So somber.  Thought we & Peyton were just cursed.

Juxtapose that with the AFC comeback victory over the Pats the following year.  Still crowded & cramped & still took forever but everyone was so electrified.  High fives.  “We’re going to the Super Bowl” chants.  Drove around the city & everyone was cruising around & honking their horns all night.  What a memory. 

We finally slayed the dragon & were going to the Super Bowl.  This game & 4th & 2 are probably my greatest Colts memories. Throw in the Super Bowl Victory for the trifecta.   Luck Superman dive & KC comeback gets an honorable mention.  Peyton, Edge, Marv & the boys probably had about 10 other memorable games but I saw those 3 live & in person. 

My best friend’s couch, the entire game, right until Addai ran it in to put the Colts ahead, then I walked into his kitchen. A moment later, the friend yelled from the living room that Brady was driving, and I came around the corner just as Jackson picked him off.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, cdgacoltsfan said:

It was Jan 21 2007

I was at the RCA Dome:

gate 3

aisle 321

row 14

seat 7

We drove from Rochester NY  and stayed at Embassy Suites....the weather was crap so tailgating was on the chilly side. Lost my voice and hearing at the game but it didn't matter....great memories for sure.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, cdgacoltsfan said:

It was Jan 21 2007

I was at the RCA Dome:

gate 3

aisle 321

row 14

seat 7

We drove from Rochester NY  and stayed at Embassy Suites....the weather was crap so tailgating was on the chilly side. Lost my voice and hearing at the game but it didn't matter....great memories for sure.

Well I know where I was at half time I had gone into my office at home and held my head with my two hands slumped over very * off and my five-year-old daughter comes walking in and she says don’t worry daddy I just prayed we’re going to win. She was so sure I certainly didn’t want to ruin that for her. we went back into the living room and watch the rest of the game and Sure enough,  what a come back, great game my daughter was definitely right and I will never say it’s over until it’s over.  Well at least I try not to lol

great topic!

I tried to get season tickets that year but never did, then was offered playoff tickets which I did buy.

We considered selling the tickets to that game, but decided we'd regret it.  We called it right to go! I knew a lot of people who were there and left at halftime!

Great game.

I was watching the first half in my room (college student at the time) and had been PUMPED the entire week to levels that people were just staring at me when I would randomly stop what I was doing and flex and almost yell out that the cheaters were going down Sunday! 

when the pick 6 happened I almost got up and was going to smash the TV... never been so close to doing it in my life. I got a little control over my emotions and turned it off and went downstairs to the recliner and jumped on with a blanket and grabbed snacks and a drink and told myself that if the Colts were going to lose, again... in humiliating fashion to the cheaters that I was going to watch every second of it no matter what and accept it and stay calm. If they started a to make a comeback I would stay calm and not go nuts unless the game was actually over and the Colts had the dub in hand or just needed to kneel the ball a couple times... then I would go nuts. 

the entire neighborhood probably heard me celebrating after the Marlin pick... thank you FREENEY. Everyone always brings up the Marlin pick but it was Freeney's pressure and forced Brady to get rid of the ball to avoid a bigger hit. 

I used to associate changing my viewing spot and emotions towards the game with the comeback but I know better now. If it's going to happen, it will happen. It happened again vs the Pats in november 2009 with the 17 pt 4th Q rally, "4th and 2" game. I couldn't change my seat for that game as I was in Indy for that amazing comeback :rock:

• 1 month later...

What a great thread!

I watched that game at a small restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand, while enjoying lots of excellent Thai food & crappy Thai beer (ugh, Chang!) while surrounded by Thais who couldn’t care less. Ordinarily I wouldn’t have scheduled a climbing trip to rural Thailand during a Colts post-season run. However the Colts had limped & dragged to a spot in the playoffs, looking tired and very, very beatable. This, combined with heart-breaking playoff exits in prior years when we seemed to have much better teams, led me to think it was fine to schedule a last-minute flight to nowhere.

The day before the game I had found a restaurant with satellite TV. Nobody there knew anything about the game, but despite major translation difficulties I managed to get them to promise to show the ‘American Football’ game, if I showed up with some cash.

The first half of the game I was obviously not happy with the results. The Thais tried to cheer me up, but didn’t really understand. However throughout the second half I was visibly very excited. The Thais, always happy to celebrate, were getting into it with me, despite not knowing anything about American Football. By the end they were cheering louder than me!

The victory presented a challenge though; I was due to be boated in to a rural climbing location the next day, with limited connectivity to the outside world, and wouldn’t be back to civilization for a month. But there was no way I was going to miss my Colts in the Super Bowl, even if I was on the moon, so I went searching for a solution.

A few days before the big game I found a beach-side bar, way on the other side of the bay, that agreed to show the Super Bowl. Of course the kick-off was at 6am Thailand time! Knowing the locals were often on ‘island time’ I was nervous that the workers would party all night and oversleep, thus negating my long-awaited Super Bowl.

The morning of the big game I woke up at 5 am, walked down to the beach, and hiked & waded across the bay to the Railay Peninsula. Fortunately it was a low tide. I had barely slept the night before, due to both my nerves about the game & the all-night beach parties booming loud music until morning. I stumbled groggily up to the bar a little after 6am, just before kickoff. I was not the only patron; in addition to a few sleepy-eyed Thai & Laotian workers, there were a handful of old, large Europeans (including 2 huge guys in Speedos) all of whom were rooting for the Bears! Boooooooooo! My enthusiasm was contagious though. I may have started as the only Colts fan, but by the end of the game I had the Thais on my side, and we were all cheering away wildly! It was fabulous!

Those were two of my all-time favorite Colts games. It was a unique way see these games, but not how I would have planned it. If I had thought we would go to the Super Bowl I would never have booked that trip & risked not being able to see the games. And in strictly a football sense, it would’ve been more enjoyable to watch the game in familiar surroundings, amid a sea of Colts fans. Still, it was an unforgettable experience.

Good times! Thanks for the memories!

On 4/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, pacolts56 said:

One of my favorite memories as a Colts fan.... I watched and paced the living room in agony until Marlin sealed it! 

I still YouTube that play every once in a while just for the adrenaline rush....

That was fantastic. Watching that short clip there gave me chills.

I can't remember where I was but I was as excited as Colts fans were. Most football fans were. :)

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That whole playoff run was amazing because we had to win 4 games not 3. When we went into Baltimore and won in the Divisional Round, I remember calling my mom and said this is our year. Our defense and SPteams won that game is why. That day we became a complete team.

That's crazy! I told my dad the same thing and he didnt believe me. 

5 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

That's crazy! I told my dad the same thing and he didn't believe me. 

My mom didn't either but I felt good at that point. I thought we were better than the Pats and Chargers that year. Baltimore was way more physical than either of those teams in 2006. Chargers had a great season and the Pats were the Pats but something just felt different to me after we beat the Ravens. Now when we fell behind 21-3 in the Title Game, I have to admit I was nervous.

What amazes me about that playoff run is, I can't recall the AFC ever being better as a whole than it was in 2006.

You had the Chargers at 14-2

Ravens were 13-3

Pats and Colts were both 12-4

-4 teams = 12 wins or more

Chiefs were even a threat at 9-7, Larry Johnson was a monster that season.

Steelers had an off year but they were even 8-8.

Why did I not see this thread when it first started? Oh yeah, that’s right... Coronavirus madness in my school district! lmao

I was home with my (at the time) newborn daughter. Tried my best to hold in my screams so as not to startle her, but it wasn’t working! So I made up some flimsy excuse to my husband about the importance of spending daddy-daughter bonding time together....  particularly upstairs, away from me and the big downstairs TV! He fell for it, so I was able to scream my way through the rest of the game! Like @Chrisaaron1023 I was the only Colts fan I knew, so I celebrated alone... so happy I found you guys now! Can’t wait to celebrate with you all when we go all the way again! :rock::coltslogo::excited:
I agree with everyone else - great thread @NannyMcafee!

I remember watching it, but my memory of SB41 is much more vivid, at Night Trips gentleman's club in Tulsa surrounded by Bear fans, winning prizes in the trivia contest, a bad kickoff to start the game,and then getting the longest lap dance ever from Danielle, during the Prince halftime show, and the night ended with the Colts holding the Lombardi trophy!

Archived