Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is the 34th pick worth in a trade down?

You have to believe that the phones will be ringing off the hook for the Colts to trade down from pick 34 to a team badly wanting a player who unexpectedly slipped out of round 1. I've looked at the trade value charts which are helpful but not necessarily etched in stone, especially for a team badly wanting a specific player. You've gotta pay to satisfy that desire. IMO, the Colts greatest needs right now are at the positions of WR, TE, OT, CB, and QB. Making a move to better position themselves in Day 2 or early Day 3 makes sense if they want to effectively fill those holes. 

With that in mind, here are just two scenarios I came up with among the many that could be imagined:

1. Cleveland wants to move up from 41 to 34. I have them giving up picks 41 and 74 and getting back picks 34 and 122 .... essentially their 2nd and 3rd picks for the Colts' 2nd and 4th. That would give the Colts four high picks in Day 2.  They could fill 4 of their 5 major needs right there. 

2. The Chargers are the next trade partner. They offer picks 37 and 112 for 34. Not as good as the Browns but the Colts get a very decent, additional 4th round pick for a small move down. 

Neither of these are perfect fits in the trade value chart but no trade ever is. The haul the Colts got from the Jets a couple of years ago to only move down three spots in the first round completely blew up the trade value chart in favor of the Colts. It happens. 

Who knows if the Colts will pull the trigger, but I have no doubt there will be multiple, tempting offers for pick 34. 

Someone is bound to slip through.

If it’s among WR Justin Jefferson or OTs Josh Jones or Austin Jackson out of the possible suspects.... I’d just go ahead and draft any of them at #34.

But if those guys are gone.... with the Buckner trade now factored in.... my preference would be the Cleveland package for sure.

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

Someone is bound to slip through.

If it’s among WR Justin Jefferson or OTs Josh Jones or Austin Jackson out of the possible suspects.... I’d just go ahead and draft any of them at #34.

But if those guys are gone.... with the Buckner trade now factored in.... my preference would be the Cleveland package for sure.

I hope we don’t trade that pick.  There will be some very good players that can start THIS year....

11 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope we don’t trade that pick.  There will be some very good players that can start THIS year....

That's a perfectly good reason not to do it. But if they did, I don't think they trade down far and I do think they could improve their haul of good players in Day 2. 

If any second round trade I would approach NY Jets and see about swapping R2P44 for their R2P48 while grabbing Jets R3P79 just to get an early jump on all those teams with added compensation picks.  To balance out the trade would give the Jets our R6P197.  

Draft as follows:

R2P34 Edge Jabari Zuniga (Florida) – Zuniga aced the Combine and greatly improved his draft stock. With Banogu underperforming last year and Houston up for contract renewal next season we add a speedy edge player who played multiple DL positions at Florida.

R2P48 SS Jeremy Chinn - Jack of all trades DB and local Indy native.  Looks like a LB but played like a corner during Senior Bowl.  Great range and matched up well vs TEs and WRs.  Showcased his versatility during the Senior Bowl playing different DB positions with success.

R3P75 TE Adam Trautman (Dayton) - Rivers history of passing to TEs is no secret and the Colts add a dynamic TE who can block and catch.  Doyle is not getting any younger and the Colts need someone to replace Ebron who left in FA.

R3P79 ILB Logan Wilson (Wyoming) – MIKE.  Walker will be a FA next season so we add depth and a very likely replacement.

R4P122 WR Quez Watkins - We add a speedy receiver who had a decent combine with Devin Funchess moving on to the Packers.  Very low college drop rate. YAC machine

R5P160 RB Darrynton Evans - Change of pace back with some pass catching ability bonus KR duties.  With the Colts looking at Cam Akers at the Combine it appeared to me that they want another capable workhorse type of running back and Evans fits that bill. 

R6P193 RG/C Danny Pinter (BSU) - South Bend native who switched from TE to OL with some experience at LT but better suited moving inside.  Had an excellent Combine and is on the radar with many NFL teams.  With Josh Andrews leaving in FA and off to the Jets the Colts need to add depth at center.  Keep in mind Kelly will be a FA in 2021.

9 hours ago, OhioColt said:

If any second round trade I would approach NY Jets and see about swapping R2P44 for their R2P48 while grabbing Jets R3P79 just to get an early jump on all those teams with added compensation picks.  To balance out the trade would give the Jets our R6P197.  

Draft as follows:

R2P34 Edge Jabari Zuniga (Florida) – Zuniga aced the Combine and greatly improved his draft stock. With Banogu underperforming last year and Houston up for contract renewal next season we add a speedy edge player who played multiple DL positions at Florida.

R2P48 SS Jeremy Chinn - Jack of all trades DB and local Indy native.  Looks like a LB but played like a corner during Senior Bowl.  Great range and matched up well vs TEs and WRs.  Showcased his versatility during the Senior Bowl playing different DB positions with success.

R3P75 TE Adam Trautman (Dayton) - Rivers history of passing to TEs is no secret and the Colts add a dynamic TE who can block and catch.  Doyle is not getting any younger and the Colts need someone to replace Ebron who left in FA.

R3P79 ILB Logan Wilson (Wyoming) – MIKE.  Walker will be a FA next season so we add depth and a very likely replacement.

R4P122 WR Quez Watkins - We add a speedy receiver who had a decent combine with Devin Funchess moving on to the Packers.  Very low college drop rate. YAC machine

R5P160 RB Darrynton Evans - Change of pace back with some pass catching ability bonus KR duties.  With the Colts looking at Cam Akers at the Combine it appeared to me that they want another capable workhorse type of running back and Evans fits that bill. 

R6P193 RG/C Danny Pinter (BSU) - South Bend native who switched from TE to OL with some experience at LT but better suited moving inside.  Had an excellent Combine and is on the radar with many NFL teams.  With Josh Andrews leaving in FA and off to the Jets the Colts need to add depth at center.  Keep in mind Kelly will be a FA in 2021.

lol your mock right here is likely going to be the closest to what really happens. It checks all the boxes, small school guys, senior bowl guys, and alot of guys who i have never heard of lol

I’m not sure if any team would do it or would we do it but if a team drafting in the lower 50’s came knocking, would you swap #34 for their #2 and next years 1? We still net our starting 3tech and we have pick 44 so it’s not like we would starve our draft picks. It makes it interesting for draft capital next season just in case our QB goes really sideways and we need to try to move up for one of those top QB’s. I just don’t know if another team would give up that much to move up to the top of round 2?

first off, I doubt Ballard will trade down because I expect someone he likes will be there at #34 via 1 or the other of 2 scenarios: either

1) Mel Kiper is right and 7 (!) wide receivers will go in Round One, which could likely push a "Round One-quality" cornerback all the way down to Ballard, or

2) all the "Round One-quality" cornerbacks plus, say, 5-6 wide receivers go in Round One and another top-tier wide receiver gets pushed down to Ballard.

My preference would be for 1), since Desir is gone and because picking another "speed receiver" at #34 would feel like sort of a red flag, suggesting either they're not totally sold on Campbell, or they think TY's regressing (at least health-wise) and may be leaving once he's a free agent.

In any event, the thought of using a really valuable pick 2 years in a row on essentially very similar WRs doesn't get me very excited--the one exception for me might be Mims because he has both size AND speed, but it sounds more and more like he'll go in Round One now (Jefferson too FWIW).

If no one who really moved the needle for me was left at #34, the first potential "trade down" I would investigate would be with Denver. Ordinarily it's futile to try to get a (lower) 2nd and a 3rd for a (higher) 2nd, but IIRC in this draft Elway has 3 picks in the 3rd round, so I'd offer him the chance to move up 12 spots in Round Two by offering #34 for his #46 and #77, assume he might counter-offer #46 and #95, but then maybe be willing to actually settle on #34 for #46 and #83. The draft value of #34, and #46 plus #83, are almost identical on the Hill chart (175 vs 180). That would also still leave Denver with two 3rd Round picks, one of which is higher than the one they'd be giving to Indy.

If that trade could somehow be pulled off, I would then hope and pray that either a receiver like Pittman, or a cornerback like Diggs, Arnette, Fulton, etc, would be there at #44. If I could magically end up with both Pittman and one of those CBs (in whichever order) at #44 and #46, I'd probably go get drunk to celebrate and then try to sober up before picks #75 and #83.

I’m a fan of making the pick at 34. We’ve added a lot of depth throughout the roster over the past few years and I believe it’s time to go for difference makers more so than accumulating additional draft picks.

As was stated earlier this draft is extremely deep at a few positions so a run on one or both of those spots will push someone special down to us at pick 34. Honestly having the second pick in round 2 is the ultimate reason I never minded trading pick 13. With the need for “starter level talent” at WR I’d hope someone falls to us that would normally be a 1st rounder and take him without entertaining a trade if he fits the culture.

If we do decide to trade down, it would be good to acquire capital for the 2021 draft for a potential run at a top-tier QB in the 2021 draft.

If we trade down from #34 I think a 2021 2nd round pick in return would be nice.

Also, depending on the trade partner, I'd be fine with trading the #44 for a 2021 first round pick.  When Bobby Bethard was GM for the Redskins, he used to trade his next year first-round pick for a mid #2 (any year were he actually had a first round pick to trade).  You don't see that much anymore so I doubt a good option would present itself, but if the right team offered it would be enticing.

I don't know about trading down from #34. I think if anything we trade up back into the 1st round, so we can get the 5th year option. Especially if there is a QB slipping or they are thinking about. If a great deal is there though, you never know. Im sure Ballard would definitely consider 2021 1st and a mid-late 2nd round pick for #34.

I do imagine Ballard will trade down at some point of draft though. Maybe from #44, would be nice to pick up another 2021 2nd round pick. 

Who knows, maybe we do both?

For

2021 1st

And

For

2021 2nd

Just threw out some random picks, but that would put us in position to have (2) 1st and (2) 2nds next year, while still keeping a mid 2nd and early 3rd this year. Hmmm, possibilities are endless. Should be fun.

It depends on who slips down to the 34th pick. If it's one of the better OT's we could drop to pick 44 and pick up a 2nd rounder next year. If it's a QB that another team likes more than Ballard we could get a 3rd and next years 1st. But the 34th pick is going to be a sweet pick, there's going to be a guy that everyone thought was a mid first rounder that falls, it happens every year..

3 hours ago, ponyboy said:

If we do decide to trade down, it would be good to acquire capital for the 2021 draft for a potential run at a top-tier QB in the 2021 draft.

Now that is one idea I could get behind! A trade down for future draft capital to make a run for Lawrence or Fields would be fun. My fear is they’ll go way to high for us to make the numbers work.

ivw heard great things about the Wake Forest QB that transferred to GA. Without having really studies him at all myself TBH I would say he may come into play as well if Ballard and crew like his makeup.

Denver would be the perfect trade partner if they had a reason to move. (QB or WR maybe?). They would get 34. We would get 46 and 95 for an equal value of 120 in trade value score. And I would do the trade in a heartbeat if they would accept. I am concerned someone like Mims may be gone at 34, but we could still get an OT and a WR like Claypool or Pittman, Auyuik, Johnson at 44 and 46. All while getting an extra late 3rd to let us go TE and some other depth in round 3. (Or even a QB if we fancy one). A trade down is still my top choice as long as we keep two second rounders. But I would love an additional 3rd of 4th. 

On 3/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Nate! said:

I’d be good with a reasonable trade down for extra draft capital.  My guess is most fans wouldn’t be and would prefer they snag someone at 34.

I try to avoid the Facebook groups on draft day for that reason. Fans were losing their minds when Colts traded back last year. Heck, I even remember some not happy when we traded with the Jets from 3 to 6 pre draft the year prior. 

8 minutes ago, Superfly said:

Agreed! More impact players needed and less depth. 

Yep, this is one of those times we need to stand pat and just pick the best available. At 34 we’ll be in prime position to get a 1st round rated player, and likely someone high on Ballard’s board. 

At this moment, I’d like to stand pat at 34 and take a quality player who will in all likelihood, be a first round pick on our board.   

I think the pick we might trade back a bit from would be 44.   Drop 6-8 slots and get a 4.   That feels like the Ballard thing to do. 

Having two 4th picks would set Ballard up to have a variety of options to start Day 3.

Also....   I’ve checked the chart, and our two 6’s packaged would give us a mid-5.    I’d rather do a two picks for one there and move back up into R5. That would give us two 5th round picks.  More value. 

Archived