Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dalton to the Colts?

1959Colts

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO....Rivers, and his familiarity with Reich and Sirianni WITHOUT giving up a draft pick...is a better option than trading for Dalton.

Knowing that the Bengals are selecting Burrow and no doubt hoping to dump Dalton and his salary.... unless we do something like our 5th round pick for Dalton plus the Bengals 5th rounder in April, I have no interest in relieving them of cap space without an offset to the draft pick he costs us.

I prefer Rivers.... we're talking about a 1-2 year bridge here.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No reason we couldn't extend him another year or two.

He's 32, he's going to be looking for a longer deal.   I don't want to commit to more than 2 years to any "bridge" QB.

Had a decent run his first 5 years in the league, and a really good year in 2015. 

I think he might be ruined though lol. On the other hand, could bounce back like Tannehill with a decent team. Rather have Rivers or Carr, but wouldn't be totally against it.

The only guy that can win with Dalton at the playoff level is Belichick. No one is touching him until the Bengals let go of him anyways. Besides, it was good for Carson Palmer to sit for one year and come out doing well in Year 2. The same might happen with Joe Burrow.

1 minute ago, Myles said:

He's 32, he's going to be looking for a longer deal.   I don't want to commit to more than 2 years to any "bridge" QB.

I think he'd be stoked to get traded and play out his one year for a solid team with a great OL.

It could raise his stock plenty. Wouldn't be shocked though if he was open to a one year extension with the trade. While I'd prefer a 2 year bridge with Rivers, one year with Dalton would be totally horrible.

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

Oh, I thought you were originally saying he was a one year qb because of his current contract.  I suppose we could wait to see how he plays under that contract and then see about extending.

There is no guarantee the right qb is available to us in this draft.  Might fall against us.  Dalton's younger than Rivers so he opens up more options.  Rivers is too old for us to not be cornered into finding a qb this draft or next.

Looking at Dalton's stat's I don't see it I'm sorry.

Remember this guy played most of his career with AJ Green.

With the exception of a good 2015 and 2016 Dalton has been poor. 

Again with the exception of those good seasons his yards per attempt have been often below 7 yards per attempt and the few season's he was above 7 he was just barely above that.

Bottom line is Dalton's normal season is about the same as River's worst seasons.  River's is just a year removed from a 105.5 passer rating in 2018.  Dalton only posted a passer rating above 100 one time and that was 2015.

I would take Rivers over Dalton.  And to me the biggest difference is yards per attempt where Rivers consistently destroys Dalton.

I see him as the smallest of improvements over Jacoby.  

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Oh, I thought you were originally saying he was a one year qb because of his current contract.  I suppose we could wait to see how he plays under that contract and then see about extending.

There is no guarantee the right qb is available to us in this draft.  Might fall against us.  Dalton's younger than Rivers so he opens up more options.  Rivers is too old for us to not be cornered into finding a qb this draft or next.

To me, I think Rivers ceiling is higher than Daltons.   Plus Rivers would be a 2 year deal where currently Dalton has 1 year left.   I'm with you in that our future QB may not be in the 2020 draft.  That's why a 2 year deal sounds better to me.  Gives us another year to evaluate and decide who it should be.  

24 minutes ago, Myles said:

To me, I think Rivers ceiling is higher than Daltons.   Plus Rivers would be a 2 year deal where currently Dalton has 1 year left.   I'm with you in that our future QB may not be in the 2020 draft.  That's why a 2 year deal sounds better to me.  Gives us another year to evaluate and decide who it should be.  

River's floor is also Dalton's baseline.  

Dalton played on a team that had a strong running game and AJ Green on the outside and didn't put up big numbers at all.  (And not because he didn't have the opportunities.) 

Getting Dalton is a mistake if you ask me.  He might be a slight improvement over Jacoby but it's not going to be enough to make us contenders.  So if you are looking at a free agent QB, if that QB can't make your team contenders now or in the future than they are simply not worth it.  

Hi guys, 

It has been a while since I came here. 
I've got a question for u, how do you feel about Rivers coming to the horseshoe ? 
I feel like we should go for a young QB instead of a vet one. 

22 minutes ago, Edo said:

Hi guys, 

It has been a while since I came here. 
I've got a question for u, how do you feel about Rivers coming to the horseshoe ? 
I feel like we should go for a young QB instead of a vet one. 

I think it can be both.   Rivers would just be a bridge to whoever we draft.   There are not many young QB's available outside the draft (not many great choices in the draft either).  

I really don’t see us adding a veteran QB.  We did that last year and he couldn’t even move the ball against Miami.  I think we’d rather roll with Jacoby, Kelly, and a draft pick.  Better than overpaying for an over-the-hill FA or overdrafting someone badly.  Remember: Ballard adheres closely to his value judgments in FA and the draft...

On 3/1/2020 at 5:06 PM, 1959Colts said:

So now we have Dalton, Carr, Brady, Rivers and Clowney to the Colts.  Am I missing anyone ?  U bet the D end from the Jags will b the next one headed our way.  Trump is a meat head, amongst other things, but he is sure right about the medias.  No sound reporting anymore and no credibility.

I'd like to see us get Carr or Phillip Rivers.   Those are the top two for me at this point. The next one is Teddy Bridgewater.  Also have some intrigue when it comes to Jameis Winston but I'm teeter tottering when it comes to him. Winston has big upside to me if you can ever get control of the interceptions.  I don't like Andy Dalton.

17 hours ago, a06cc said:

Not drafting Dalton got Bill Polian fired. Maybe, but I hope not. I hope we ride with Jacoby and draft a guy to sit for a year and learn the offense.

You want a rookie to learn how Brissett runs the offense?    Are you sure about that?   He can learn the 1 read pass.    

17 hours ago, relkins said:

Please!, no has been. Need a future long term.

Who do you want long term?   Bridgwater, Mariotta, Foles?    If it is in the draft, do you want them to start right away?   Just curious.   

I agree that Dalton would not even be a good bridge QB for the team.  

20 hours ago, a06cc said:

Not drafting Dalton got Bill Polian fired. Maybe, but I hope not. I hope we ride with Jacoby and drafted a guy to sit for a year and learn the offense.

I think too much faith in his son got Bill Polian fired.  Nepotism is a dangerous thing.  Sometimes the fruit does fall far from the tree!

39 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I think too much faith in his son got Bill Polian fired.  Nepotism is a dangerous thing.  Sometimes the fruit does fall far from the tree!

Bill Polian himself said that not drafting Dalton was a huge mistake.  He later said that not providing for a backup QB or a QB for the future got him fired.  

He didn't link not drafting Dalton to getting fired specifically, but reading between the lines he thinks that he wouldn't have gotten fired if Dalton played instead of Painter and Irsay saw some transition.

I think Irsay mentioned something about not being comfortable about transitioning over to Chris Polian, so that may have still been the bottom line.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:12 PM, rockywoj said:

Not sure I can say that Dalton has ever been better than Rivers.  Curious preference you have there. 

Dalton still has some life left in his arm, Rivers doesn't. I'd be very curious to see Dalton in Reich's system with our OL, that could be a good combination.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Bill Polian himself said that not drafting Dalton was a huge mistake.  He later said that not providing for a backup QB or a QB for the future got him fired.  

He didn't link not drafting Dalton to getting fired specifically, but reading between the lines he thinks that he wouldn't have gotten fired if Dalton played instead of Painter and Irsay saw some transition.

I think Irsay mentioned something about not being comfortable about transitioning over to Chris Polian, so that may have still been the bottom line.

Right - Polian probably isn't going to say my son got me fired!  I certainly don't know what goes on inside the W 56th Street complex and the Dalton issue probably played into it, but I think Chris Polian demonstrated he didn't deserve the trust daddy gave him.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Dalton still has some life left in his arm, Rivers doesn't. I'd be very curious to see Dalton in Reich's system with our OL, that could be a good combination.

That is what I am concerned about with Rivers.  I am not sure what he has left.  If he can't last a season it would be a very expensive project.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't know.   Looking at the last 3 seasons of both of them and Rivers is head and shoulders above Dalton.  

image.png.1b9e5319c0e5e58ca52561a26d55e70c.png

image.png.09126dd286bcc5c60f8fa18256b32422.png

image.png.391a77227052285cf1f5cd033ca9f0fb.png

Sorry, I thought those would be bigger.

Last 3 seasons

Rivers:

Completion % - 63, 68, 66

Dalton:

Completion % - 60, 62, 59

Rivers:

YPG - 282, 269, 288

Dalton

YPG - 207, 233, 269

Rivers:

YPC - 12.5, 12.4, 11.8

Dalton:

YPC - 11.2, 11.4, 11.1

Rivers:

TD % - 4.9, 6.3, 3.9

Dalton:

TD % - 5.0, 5.8, 3.0

Rivers:

INT% - 1.7, 2.4, 3.4

Dalton:

INT % - 2.4, 3.0, 2.7

Rivers:

Rating - 96, 105.5, 88.5

Dalton:

Rating - 86.6, 89.6, 78.3

Even with Rivers down year last season, he was still noticeably better than Dalton.  

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

Right - Polian probably isn't going to say my son got me fired!  I certainly don't know what goes on inside the W 56th Street complex and the Dalton issue probably played into it, but I think Chris Polian demonstrated he didn't deserve the trust daddy gave him.

I agree, he wouldn't.  Polian ended up passing over Dalton.  Painter played.  We stunk.  And Irsay looked at the organization and did not like the direction.  

I'm just corroborating the statement that Polian said he made a big mistake by passing over Dalton, in that the W/L record would have been better if Dalton played and not Painter.  Maybe a better record would have led to no firing, at least not that offseason.  We wouldn't have been in position to draft Luck or Griffin, so who knows what would have happened 

57 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't know.   Looking at the last 3 seasons of both of them and Rivers is head and shoulders above Dalton.  

image.png.1b9e5319c0e5e58ca52561a26d55e70c.png

image.png.09126dd286bcc5c60f8fa18256b32422.png

image.png.391a77227052285cf1f5cd033ca9f0fb.png

Sorry, I thought those would be bigger.

I'll say this... if Rivers were 5 years younger, it'd be a no-brainer. When I factor in age & the fact that Rivers' arm strength is clearly declining, I'm leaning towards Dalton.

Carr for two third round picks... this year and next year. Then there is no “bridge QB” issue. The Colts have picks 13,34, and 44 to put three new shiny pieces around Carr. That’s my preference if the gods are looking out for the Colts. 

Archived