Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested if Eric Berry comes out of Retirement. [merge]

coltsfan40

23 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

And Andrew Luck? Would you want the Colts to sign luck considering he hasn't played either?

You're comparing apples to oranges. No team touched Berry when he was on the market. That's a concern to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

Yep. Images of Levon Bell tweeting about wanting to come to Colts come to mind.  

that still bothers me, i know a lot of people didnt want him and dont like to pay rbs, and the rushing game was pretty good without him

i still think he could have made the difference between being good and great as far as rushing goes, could have spent that money on him instead of funchess  

6 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

He never did actually retire. Just wanted to be fully healthy for when he did come back. I love Eric Berry as both a player and as a person, however; not sure why he would want to come her to be our 3rd safety. 

Would he start over Willis?? 

If he played up to the standard he once set, or near it, yes, he will start. I’d have real trouble believing he could reach that point at this stage in his career. I’d give him a look, a back up salary contract with tons of incentives in case he blows up and takes the starting job and plays in lots of games and produces. At this point, he is just an old name in the league. It’s like signing Andre Johnson because wow did he really perform for years on the texans. Got to us and puked the bed badly. Looked about 80 years old for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

If he played up to the standard he once set, or near it, yes, he will start. I’d have real trouble believing he could reach that point at this stage in his career. I’d give him a look, a back up salary contract with tons of incentives in case he blows up and takes the starting job and plays in lots of games and produces. At this point, he is just an old name in the league. It’s like signing Andre Johnson because wow did he really perform for years on the texans. Got to us and puked the bed badly. Looked about 80 years old for us. 

If he's healthy, and at least 90% speed, I think he'd be in the mix immediately, and more than just depth. Willis is great in the box, but bad in coverage. I could see an immediate time share were Berry takes passing downs plus 3 saftey sets, and Willis plays on running downs and 3 safety sets. Similar to what they did with Willis and Geathers, but heavier use than Geathers. Berry has also played both FS and SS, although he settled in mostly at SS. Not sure his body would stand up to all SS work, especially in the box.

We averaged 2.3 Ss on the field at any time, so 30% of the time we have 3 safeties out there at once. Geathers would be the big loser in that scenario. 

As FYI, 

Out of 1037 snaps on D

CG (SS) 537

KW (SS) 631

GO (FS) 288

MH (FS) 796

RM (FS) 134

Note - when Geathers was healthy, he typically had more sanps than Willis, even late in the year. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If he's healthy, and at least 90% speed, I think he'd be in the mix immediately, and more than just depth. Willis is great in the box, but bad in coverage. I could see an immediate time share were Berry takes passing downs plus 3 saftey sets, and Willis plays on running downs and 3 safety sets. Similar to what they did with Willis and Geathers, but heavier use than Geathers. Berry has also played both FS and SS, although he settled in mostly at SS. Not sure his body would stand up to all SS work, especially in the box.

We averaged 2.3 Ss on the field at any time, so 30% of the time we have 3 safeties out there at once. Geathers would be the big loser in that scenario. 

As FYI, 

Out of 1037 snaps on D

CG (SS) 537

KW (SS) 631

GO (FS) 288

MH (FS) 796

RM (FS) 134

Note - when Geathers was healthy, he typically had more sanps than Willis, even late in the year. 

I think this signing, if it happens, goes with the narrative of Ballard kicking himself last year for letting vets go to soon. Leadership for the young players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

I think this signing, if it happens, goes with the narrative of Ballard kicking himself last year for letting vets go to soon. Leadership for the young players.

If Ballard should have kicked himself for anything last year, it's for not addressing DT IMO. 

17 hours ago, coltsfan40 said:

I forget names guy that runs show after good morning football with big ears. He was asked how did u get info and he stated Houston and other chiefs !!

LOL, I thought you were going to say he knows because "I hear everything with these ears!"

12 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Just curious but what options were available when we were drafting?  Can’t remember what free agents were signed elsewhere either

we were "linked" to a ton of FAs, but that happens every year, especially with our cap. 

as far as the draft, I would have liked Tillery early and Dre'Mont Jones later. My fav though was Oliver.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, Rackeen305 said:

And Andrew Luck? Would you want the Colts to sign luck considering he hasn't played either?

The safety and QB are totally different positions and cant be compared. 

The QB position has a lot of help from other players to be successful. 

A safety is all alone and has to make plays by himself. 

Apples and oranges.