Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts on Jacoby and QB position

BleedBlue4Shoe86

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

BUT.    JB went into camp last yr thinking he was the backup.  Yes he took the majority of the snaps, But he was practicing an offense made for Andrew.  So it wasn't playing to his strengths.  He wasn't gonna tell Frank, Hey this works better for me etc

With a full training camp designed to use his strengths,  it might be an entirely different outcome.   Before injury, while he wasn't lighting up the stats, he played well enough to win some games.  Add in the AV situation and instead of 5-2 we could have been 6-1 or 7-0 

Not really.   Most were expecting Luck to miss a few games.   No one had any certainty about his health.   

What are these strengths?  He's played the same since college.   If he would have shown improvement, I'd have his back.  He hasn't.  Below is some of the Bleacher Report draft preview of him coming out of college.   The flaws are the same.   There were positives too.  Mostly that he was big and strong and ran the ball well.  There were more negatives.  

Brissett doesn't show awareness on the field.   Many times he was beat before the snap on blitzes and coverage swaps. He needs time to learn how to be a quarterback who makes reads pre-snap.

Overall, Brissett's accuracy is average. He shows good touch on certain routes (slants, outs, comebacks) but struggled to connect on vertical routes and when there was any kind of safety help over the top. Brissett's ability to make plays often overshadows missed opportunities that come because he doesn't read the entire field or get through his progressions to find mismatches.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Myles said:

You are entitled to your opinion as we all are.  

Nothing Jacoby has done makes me think he will have a good season.   He took all the first team reps through training camp and preseason so he should have been ready.   Unfortunately he looked like he did every season including college.  He has not improved.   His flaws are the same which leads me to believe he is what he is.  A very good backup QB and a below average starter.   

If he starts, I will be pulling for him and hoping I was wrong.

Although I disagree with you I can see your point. 

But I wish all fans had your point of view on the bolded part. A lot of times I feel like Colts fans so despise JB that they are hoping he fails instead of hoping he succeeds. Glad you are in the later half. 

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Although I disagree with you I can see your point. 

But I wish all fans had your point of view on the bolded part. A lot of times I feel like Colts fans so despise JB that they are hoping he fails instead of hoping he succeeds. Glad you are in the later half. 

He's a good guy.  No reason to root for him to fail.  

7 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Rivers                                                              Brissett

2019 Chargers                                             2019 Colts

66.0 completion percentage             60.9 completion percentage

4,615 passing yards                            2,942 passing yards

23 touchdowns                                    18 Touchdowns

20 interceptions                                  6 Interceptions

88.5 passer rating                               88.0 Passer rating

38 years old                                         27 years old

These stats are basically identical.  Rivers is not an upgrade.  He has also stated that he does not want to mentor anyone.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/26/chargers-philip-rivers-isnt-my-job-to-coddle-a-young-qb/

Then factor in

Colts OL ranked 3rd

LAC OL ranked 29th (Ts gave up the 2nd most pressures in the league)

JB time to throw (2nd worst) vs

Rivers time to throw (top 5).

I'd also say that 6% points in completion % is pretty big. 1600 yards is too.

And nobody wants Rivers long term. Just a bridge/mentor for a drafted rookie

41 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Then factor in

Colts OL ranked 3rd

I agree. But everyone is forgetting he literally has said it is not his job to mentor young QBs. 

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/26/chargers-philip-rivers-isnt-my-job-to-coddle-a-young-qb/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794994/article/philip-rivers-young-qb-might-sit-for-a-while-behind-me

Yeah definitely sounds like a guy who wants to mentor a Jordan Love of Jalen Hurts

7 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Sorry your right, Rivers threw the ball 591 times compared to JB throwing it 447 times.  That is an additional 144 passes for Rivers.

There's a reason the playbook looked like warmed over dogcrap this season.... If the QB has an entire off-season taking every first team snap, and isn't capable of running the entire playbook EFFECTIVELY..... It's not the playbook... 

Look.  JB is the Chuck Pagano of NFL quarterbacking.  Great guy, everyone loves him.  Solid rah rah leadership style..... It's just that his ceiling carrying a team is.... Not that high.

6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I agree. But everyone is forgetting he literally has said it is not his job to mentor young QBs. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794994/article/philip-rivers-young-qb-might-sit-for-a-while-behind-me

Yeah definitely sounds like a guy who wants to mentor a Jordan Love of Jalen Hurts

Both those articles are from 3 years ago, when retirement was not in sight. He didn't see himself as a bridge or mentor yet. Now he's been let go by his team, and stated he wants to play 2 years tops.

I'd bet a decent amount he's willing to coddle/mentor for the right price in his last two years. I'm sure he wants to be the guy in 2020, but I'd say his expectations have changed. He probably wants to be the guy in 2020 more for vindication (getting dumped) more than anything else. And I have no problem with that. A little edge is good. 

Call JB Chuck is an insult even though he’s not exactly Peyton Manning. 

I just heard about Rivers. He looked done’r than dog duke last year but if ya’ll want a guy who plays without fear and will go deep a time or 20...and if Reich continues to get the most out of the team then he might get more out of Rivers than we think.

And Rivers getting mad like Brett Favre and balling for a year would be epic lol! Favre even said the same thing about mentoring Rodgers if you remember. People thought Favre was done to btw.

13 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

the only thing I don't get is why everyone wants a 38 year old QB that turns the ball over alot.  Also, are we all forgetting that Rivers has said that he has no interest in grooming his replacement.

I don't buy that 'grooming his replacement' deal.  Eli said the same thing when they drafted Daniel Jones.  Daniel Jones still said he learned a ton from Eli and Eli was a consummate pro.  I think what Eli meant was he wasn't ready to give up his starting job and his job was to go to work every day and prepare like a starter, the rookie watched it and learned from it.  I imagine that's what Rivers means as well -- he's not going to just be complacent and wait for a rookie to take his job, he's going to go to work everyday, practice hard, prepare hard, try to keep his starting job and try to win football games.  A rookie can learn from that very well.  

11 hours ago, Nickster said:

Those stats are actually not very identical at all with the exception of passer rating.

And Rivers throws a lot more picks.  Arguably the best thing about Jacoby is that he does a very good job protecting the ball.

10 hours ago, WifiGuy said:

1st I'm not a JB fan .    I LMAO when there were people saying we could get a 1st for him.  You all know who you are.

BUT.    JB went into camp last yr thinking he was the backup.  Yes he took the majority of the snaps, But he was practicing an offense made for Andrew.  So it wasn't playing to his strengths.  He wasn't gonna tell Frank, Hey this works better for me etc

With a full training camp designed to use his strengths,  it might be an entirely different outcome.   Before injury, while he wasn't lighting up the stats, he played well enough to win some games.  Add in the AV situation and instead of 5-2 we could have been 6-1 or 7-0 

Then the injury.  Not only to him but to TY Funch and Ebrons brain injury etc

The Owner, FO and coaches have all had praise for him. Irsay said he needs more time to develop.

OK . here is a theory.  A possibility.  a hunch 

They bring in Rivers for a yr or two and allow JB to develop more.    Face it, he never in his wildest dreams figured he'd be the starting QB for the Colts with AL on the team.

Now he can prepare to be the starter in the future.

Assuming Rivers plays 3 more seasons, Brissett will be in his 8th year.  It'd be one thing if he was a rookie last year, and we were talking about him being in his 4th year when Rivers retires.. but I just don't see a 6th and 7th year NFL veteran being 'groomed' and coming in year 8 and lighting the world on fire.

9 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I can believe alot of what you are saying except the Rivers part.  If they bring in a veteran starter, JB is gone.

I doubt it (unless we draft a rookie QB early).  I think Irsay knows the value of a good back-up and Brissett as a back-up is one of the best in the entire league.

9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

As a fan of this team, I WANT to see another year of Jacoby under center. The man has earned it, and frankly, I think he will deliver a solid year for the team. Even after that if the Colts decide to move on from him at that point, his value will double if he has the year I think he will. 

I would be totally happy if we built the team up around Brissett (i.e., got some talent at WR/TE, IDL, AC's eventual replacement, etc.).  Problem about his value doubling is, he's a FA after next year, so it's not like he's going to be trade bait -- if he has a stellar year, we'll just have to try to resign him for a lot more money.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Then factor in

Colts OL ranked 3rd

Good stuff except you switched these around:

JB time to throw (2nd best) vs

Rivers time to throw (bottom 5).

Yep, just a bridge.  I'd feel different if we didn't have the cap space to spare.  

10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

him main job is to win games, most free agent qbs would probably say what he did if asked directly.  wonder what jacoby would say if they asked him about mentoring his replacement?

22 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I was listening to Stephen Holder and Zak Keefer and they said something that really clicked for me.  It was something that Ballard mentioned.  In his presser for the combine, when asked about Jacoby and the QB position, he stated, " that this has really taken on a life of its own" and then he went on to defend JB a little, as much as he could.  I say all this to repeat what has been said over and over...

I truly believe that the front office is okay starting JB next year, if they can't find what they feel is an upgrade.  It is important that we understand the difference between what we think is an upgrade (Rivers, Carr, Foles, Love, Hurts, Gordon) and what Ballard and company feel is an upgrade.  I think us as fans have twisted the narrative a little and placed all the blame on JB for the previous year and going 7-9.  Was he great/good, no, but was it all his fault, no.  Even Irsay said that JB is young and that he needs more time to develop.  Heck he quoted Peyton and how he was 3-13 his rookie season and then 6-10 in his 4th season.  Then you also have Darius Leonard on FS1 talking about how they follow JB and that they can win with him.

I say all this to say that I think we have really gone a little crazy on this board and feel that anyone and everyone is an upgrade to JB.  I don't think the Colts feel that way and I believe that JB will be the started in 2020.  That being said, I don't know who the backup will be.  It could be Love, Hurts, Kelly or Hoyer.  That is what makes this stuff fun. 

Just remember, this is a game and we all follow this team because we love them, lets not that overboard and lets enjoy the ride the next few months.

Feel better now!

So, I relistened to the Ballard and Reich at the combine and something really stuck out to me and has made me feel that he really isn't looking at QB or WR early. 

Ballard said that he did see some good guys in the QB class and that he really liked the depth of the class.  That, to me, says he feels he can get a good QB later.  He said the same thing about the WR.

What he didn't say was that about DL.  He stated that he loves the lines and building the lines.

Now this could all be a smokescreen but it just feels like he believes he can get good players at both those positions later in the draft.

With Reich, it was how he spoke about JB, he has so much respect for him and when asked how he felt JB would respond to all the criticism this year, he stated he would would respond great next year. He went on to talk about leadership and intangibles and how you can coach and improve accuracy and field vision but you can teach a person to command a room.

Again this could all be a smokescreen and they take Love at 13, but I just don't see it.

7 hours ago, Myles said:

Good stuff except you switched these around:

JB time to throw (2nd best) vs

Rivers time to throw (bottom 5).

Yep, just a bridge.  I'd feel different if we didn't have the cap space to spare.  

huh? Brissett had one of the worst/highest time to throws in the league. Rivers one of the best/lowest.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:46 AM, CantBeStopped said:

Personally I think the best route is signing rivers, drafting our future at 13 and cutting ties with JB. He has shown no improvement going into year 4. He is what he is. Rivers could come in and give us at minimum what jb does. He'd have the best oline he's had his entire career. And I'd rather have the future learning from a guy that's potentially going to the HOF over a guy that can't read a defense

I have no interest in Phillip Rivers whatsoever.  He's a huge step in the wrong direction for this organization and is the archetype of short term gain, long term pain.

In our situation with a long playoff window ahead of us a QB who looks to be in the final years of his career, and who never did anything of note throughout that career, is the last guy I want to bring in.   I think he would do serious damage to the QB position.

6 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I have no interest in Phillip Rivers whatsoever.  He's a huge step in the wrong direction for this organization and is the archetype of short term gain, long term pain.

In our situation with a long playoff window ahead of us a QB who looks to be in the final years of his career, and who never did anything of note throughout that career, is the last guy I want to bring in.   I think he would do serious damage to the QB position.

Who do you think should be our starting QB on opening day this up coming season?

39 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Well, I still don't agree.

A. I don't see a long playoff window in the future for this team, especially if Ballard doesn't upgrade what I hear is the most important position in sports (that cliche is a getting worn out.)

B. I don't see how a year of Phil is more damaging, especially to the rest of the team/moral than letting JB go back to work, doing what he does.

There's a case against Rivers, but it's not so obvious that it makes Carr or Winston or whomever a sure thing either. Frankly a part of the upshot of an old guy like Rivers/Brady is that it won't allow Ballard to get complacent with a middle of the pack QB.  5 years or so of Carr/Winston could have real stretches of suck if they're asked to carry the team too often.

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

Well, I still don't agree.

A. I don't see a long playoff window in the future for this team, especially if Ballard doesn't upgrade what I hear is the most important position in sports (that cliche is a getting worn out.)

I don't see how you figure that since if Luck didn't play out we'd be in the middle of a multi-season window right now.

B. I don't see how a year of Phil is more damaging, especially to the rest of the team/moral than letting JB go back to work, doing what he does.

Jacoby is a journeyman QB who doesn't seem to have an issue fighting for his job and being prepared to work hard.  That hasn't always been true of Rivers, who has a rep as a bit of a diva.

As for how Rivers can do harm, look at his turnover rate.  It's nearly 3x that of Brissett.  Brissett is about 25% less likely to make a big throw and 75% less likely to burn the team with one.  With our running game the #1 job of the quarterback is not to give the ball away and turn long running grinding drives into 0 points.  This is an area where Brissett is actually way better than Rivers.

Our best unit by far is our running backs.  Rivers will demand 40+ touches a game, which allows less room for Mack to do his thing. Brissett is content with less than 30 touches and letting our best offensive unit carry the game.  In a word, it will diminish what we do best for a marginal gain in another area, this is a very dubious benefit.

Bottom line, Rivers is a good paper move but there's a lot of problems with it from a practical standpoint

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I don't see how you figure that since if Luck didn't play out we'd be in the middle of a multi-season window right now.

Jacoby is a journeyman QB who doesn't seem to have an issue fighting for his job and being prepared to work hard.  That hasn't always been true of Rivers, who has a rep as a bit of a diva.

As for how Rivers can do harm, look at his turnover rate.  It's nearly 3x that of Brissett.  Brissett is about 25% less likely to make a big throw and 75% less likely to burn the team with one.  With our running game the #1 job of the quarterback is not to give the ball away and turn long running grinding drives into 0 points.  This is an area where Brissett is actually way better than Rivers.

Our best unit by far is our running backs.  Rivers will demand 40+ touches a game, which allows less room for Mack to do his thing. Brissett is content with less than 30 touches and letting our best offensive unit carry the game.  In a word, it will diminish what we do best for a marginal gain in another area, this is a very dubious benefit.

Bottom line, Rivers is a good paper move but there's a lot of problems with it from a practical standpoint

You can have the best running backs and the best O line in the league, but if the defense has 0 fear of your passing game, and can focus on the run, % 85 you lose.

9 hours ago, ojsglove said:

You can have the best running backs and the best O line in the league, but if the defense has 0 fear of your passing game, and can focus on the run, % 85 you lose.

Which is weird because we didn't actually lose 85% of our game.  It's almost like someone stepped up and delivered at times when the run game wasn't getting it done.

(Brissett's 3 best throwing games were all games where the combined rushing attack had less than 100 yards)

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Which is weird because we didn't actually lose 85% of our game.  It's almost like someone stepped up and delivered at times when the run game wasn't getting it done.

(Brissett's 3 best throwing games were all games where the combined rushing attack had less than 100 yards)

Not sure which games you're talking about, but if two of them are Houston and ATL, you also need to note that both are horrible vs the pass. ATL got better late in the year, but still bad. 

2 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

there is truth in what they said lost 56% being 30th in passing.  he stepped up in a game or two against bad teams

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure which games you're talking about, but if two of them are Houston and ATL, you also need to note that both are horrible vs the pass. ATL got better late in the year, but still bad. 

Also LAC and Oakland.  All are games where the running game wasn't effective and the throwing game picked up the slack.  Against oakland the throwing attack was the only thing that gave us half a chance.  

And people like to forget that Brissett was a large part of the offense against KC and Texas.  IIRC Brissett scored (with his feet) the only Colts TD in the KC game.  Those (along with the TEN comeback win that was bigger than we realized at the time)  were the biggest signature wins of the season for Indianapolis and Brissett had a lot to do with why they happened.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

Also LAC and Oakland.  All are games where the running game wasn't effective and the throwing game picked up the slack.  Against oakland the throwing attack was the only thing that gave us half a chance.  

And people like to forget that Brissett was a large part of the offense against KC and Texas.  IIRC Brissett scored (with his feet) the only Colts TD in the KC game.  Those (along with the TEN comeback win that was bigger than we realized at the time)  were the biggest signature wins of the season for Indianapolis and Brissett had a lot to do with why they happened.

Game               QBR

LAC                   58.5

Oak                   34.4      52.2% completion

Tenn                 32.0

KC                     39.4

TX(gm1)           68.2

TX(gm2)           39.6

Impressive? Hardly. Can't imagine wanting to live with this another year.

Total QBR for the year 50.1. Ranked 21st of QBs with 200 or more pass thrown.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:50 AM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

the only thing I don't get is why everyone wants a 38 year old QB that turns the ball over alot.  Also, are we all forgetting that Rivers has said that he has no interest in grooming his replacement.

Rivers has only had two other seasons where he threw 20 or more INTs. Most years it's more in the 10-14 range which isn't terrible. And as OP has said, this would probably be the best o-line Rivers has had. 

But I'm more playing devil's advocate here. I would like him as a reasonable 1 year upgrade, but I do have things I dislike like his lack of mobility, but ideally he wouldn't need it. I would say that if we have a better chance of landing a bigger free agent that isn't QB and isn't Rivers, I'd rather spend it there, pass on Rivers and roll with Brissett and a drafted QB.

16 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

LAC was early before teams changed their D strategy against us, and Mack had 150+.... JB was sub 200 too, so not a game I would point to.  Oakland was one of the first teams to focus on our run, and JB did not have a good game. IMO, some of his worst throws of the season, and sub 40 QBR.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, DougDew said:

IMO, when you sit as high in an organization as Ballard does, you don't go off and change previous decisions because of one year.  Ballard signed JB to starters money for two years and I think that decision will stand, if JB is still on the team after draft day.

Ballard is looking at the QB situation from the perspective of the 2021 season, not 2020, IMO.  Even if JB was the guy, CB still could not count on JB to be the starter in 2021 because he would have to tackle the big issue of contract, and who knows where that would lead.

He's looking at QB this draft because of the contract situation of his starter as much as anything, IMO.

Now, if an opportunity arises to upgrade the QB position at a reasonable cost, like trading up for Herbert or trading for Carr, then he pulls the trigger with the idea that the new guy will start next season.  That's why I said above "if JB is still on the team after draft day".  If this upgrade opportunity doesn't happen by draft day, JB is the starter next season.

That's why I don't think signing Rivers makes much sense.  CB would not changing anything significant about his future QB needs or how he would approach the draft.  There is only two minor things that makes it sensible, IMO: 1, The Colts get incrementally better play from the QB position next year than with JB.  Sorry, I don't think that what Rivers can deliver at this point will lead us to a materially different W-L record.  2.  CB can draft his Qb of the future without his starting QB looking over his shoulder or the locker room taking sides, which might happen if CB drafts Love when JB still wants a starting job in the NFL.  (And the side-taking would be worse if CB drafted Fromm with JB still the 2020 starter, for some very bad reasons).  With Rivers, he's probably out of the NFL after his contract so the locker room is settled on the present and future with no reason to take a favorite of one over the other. 

So after the Luck retired the plan was to start JB in 2019 and 2020.  And that is still the plan and the Colts won't deviate from the plan, unless they sign a FA, or get rid of JB or draft a guy who earns the starting job in training camp?

So, in other words, JB will be the starting QB for the Colts in 2020 unless he's not.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:23 AM, DougDew said:

That's why I don't think signing Rivers makes much sense.  CB would not changing anything significant about his future QB needs or how he would approach the draft.  There is only two minor things that makes it sensible, IMO: 1, The Colts get incrementally better play from the QB position next year than with JB.  Sorry, I don't think that what Rivers can deliver at this point will lead us to a materially different W-L record.  2.  CB can draft his Qb of the future without his starting QB looking over his shoulder or the locker room taking sides, which might happen if CB drafts Love when JB still wants a starting job in the NFL.  (And the side-taking would be worse if CB drafted Fromm with JB still the 2020 starter, for some very bad reasons).  With Rivers, he's probably out of the NFL after his contract so the locker room is settled on the present and future with no reason to take a favorite of one over the other. 

Better play from the QB position is minor?    That is major in today's NFL.  

41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So after the Luck retired the plan was to start JB in 2019 and 2020.  And that is still the plan and the Colts won't deviate from the plan, unless they sign a FA, or get rid of JB or draft a guy who earns the starting job in training camp?

So, in other words, JB will be the starting QB for the Colts in 2020 unless he's not.

?

Right now, JB will start because he is the best qb that's under contract. 

The plan is also to look at qbs for when the starter's contract expires because we want an upgrade.  

The plan is to look for a QB for 2021.  In the process of doing that, if you find one now that's better, you get him now.

That is the plan.  Nobody knows, not even Ballard, what direction the plan is going to take.  

29 minutes ago, Myles said:

Better play from the QB position is minor?    That is major in today's NFL.  

But with Rivers, it's only this year or next.  Maybe that's enough, but if you sign Rivers to start, does that mean you pass on Herbert if he's there, or are you prepared to let Herbert sit even if he's better than Rivers?  Would you cut Rivers for a rookie if the rookie is better?

I think Rivers is the guy you sign AFTER the draft, when you know what kind of rookie you have; one that can't start day one.

Acquiring a younger FA qb, like Dalton, Carr, or Stafford BEFORE the draft or on draft day, probably means we would pass on a rookie who could start soon.  JMO.

Archived