Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts on Jacoby and QB position

BleedBlue4Shoe86

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think Rivers is the guy you sign AFTER the draft, when you know what kind of rookie you have; one that can't start day one.

I seriously doubt that Rivers waits until after the draft to sign. I think if he had to wait that long that more than likely he would just retire.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I seriously doubt that Rivers waits until after the draft to sign. I think if he had to wait that long that more than likely he would just retire.

If he waited, he would have a better sense of what his future was.

Would he sign with us for a two year contract with the possibility we draft a qb who starts day one? 

We'd have to guarantee both years, and possibly pay him to be a backup.  Its possible I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Purely my opinion, but Rivers is a pre-draft sign, regardless if we plan to draft a QB or not this year. I don't think he'd retire, but I don't think he's going to have to wait either.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

?

Right now, JB will start because he is the best qb that's under contract. 

The plan is also to look at qbs for when the starter's contract expires because we want an upgrade.  

The plan is to look for a QB for 2021.  In the process of doing that, if you find one now that's better, you get him now.

That is the plan.  Nobody knows, not even Ballard, what direction the plan is going to take.  

Thanks you Mr. Obvious. :)

43 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Purely my opinion, but Rivers is a pre-draft sign, regardless if we plan to draft a QB or not this year. I don't think he'd retire, but I don't think he's going to have to wait either.

I agree with you that I don't think that he is going to have to wait. That was why I said that if it was after the draft and he hadn't been signed that I think he would just retire. I think we will know the day that the legal tampering period begins if he is coming to Indy. In my opinion, if he is coming we will know very quickly. I don't think this is going to be a drawn out process.

3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I agree with you that I don't think that he is going to have to wait. That was why I said that if it was after the draft and he hadn't been signed that I think he would just retire. I think we will know the day that the legal tampering period begins if he is coming to Indy. In my opinion, if he is coming we will know very quickly. I don't think this is going to be a drawn out process.

Agreed. IMO, Reich knows exactly what he wants at this point. He probably has multiple options/plans, but those options are ranked clearly. The only way things go slow, is if we are waiting on other dominoes to fall. I could see him wanting Carr for instance as option A, and would have to wait if LVR is trying to nail down a FA (like a Brady) and must wait till the discussion window opens. The good thing about the Carr option, is that Ballard can talk to the Raiders now since it would be a trade. If his option A is a Rivers/Rook combo, I think he pulls the trigger on Rivers as early as possible. That would also potentially help out simply because teams behind us might not think we are taking a QB in the draft (so not trying to jump us). 

Lot's of things can happen. Going to be interesting, but like you said, if Ballard likes Rivers, and he's option A or part of option A, it won't take long.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

55 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agreed. IMO, Reich knows exactly what he wants at this point. He probably has multiple options/plans, but those options are ranked clearly. The only way things go slow, is if we are waiting on other dominoes to fall. I could see him wanting Carr for instance as option A, and would have to wait if LVR is trying to nail down a FA (like a Brady) and must wait till the discussion window opens. The good thing about the Carr option, is that Ballard can talk to the Raiders now since it would be a trade. If his option A is a Rivers/Rook combo, I think he pulls the trigger on Rivers as early as possible. That would also potentially help out simply because teams behind us might not think we are taking a QB in the draft (so not trying to jump us). 

Lot's of things can happen. Going to be interesting, but like you said, if Ballard likes Rivers, and he's option A or part of option A, it won't take long.

Agreed. I think Rivers might even sign on Day One of FA. I wouldn't even be surprised if there is a deal in place. 

IF that deal is with the Colts...then I think they will bring in Rivers ASAP and work on moving JB to another team before the QB carousel dies down. Obviously, they will have little leverage in a trade...but at least there will be teams that have openings.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Agreed. I think Rivers might even sign on Day One of FA. I wouldn't even be surprised if there is a deal in place. 

IF that deal is with the Colts...then I think they will bring in Rivers ASAP and work on moving JB to another team before the QB carousel dies down. Obviously, they will have little leverage in a trade...but at least there will be teams that have openings.

That also makes a lot of sense.  Rivers would want some security, so we would need to guarantee a good portion of his contract.  Just speculative.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Starts in 2 weeks, and I'm ready lol...

The draft still seams like a year away though. 

The JB situation will be tough regardless. My only hope is we have clarity of direction sooner than later, and I'd love for JB to end up in a good spot. I'm sure he still wants to fight for a starting gig somewhere, but if he ever becomes OK with the back up role, I'd love to have him back.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

But with Rivers, it's only this year or next.  Maybe that's enough, but if you sign Rivers to start, does that mean you pass on Herbert if he's there, or are you prepared to let Herbert sit even if he's better than Rivers?  Would you cut Rivers for a rookie if the rookie is better?

I think Rivers is the guy you sign AFTER the draft, when you know what kind of rookie you have; one that can't start day one.

Acquiring a younger FA qb, like Dalton, Carr, or Stafford BEFORE the draft or on draft day, probably means we would pass on a rookie who could start soon.  JMO.

I think that if Rivers is signed it would mean that Ballard plans on drafting a QB and having him sit for a year or 2, which is a smart choice in many cases.  It could also mean that Ballard plans on waiting till the 2021 draft to get a QB.   

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think that if Rivers is signed it would mean that Ballard plans on drafting a QB and having him sit for a year or 2, which is a smart choice in many cases.  It could also mean that Ballard plans on waiting till the 2021 draft to get a QB.   

I agree.  If he signs Rivers, I think it says that he is not planning to take a QB higher than 13, trading up.  Usually a GM wants to see return of investment soon when using that much capital.  Can't wait for 2 years to start getting paid back for two high draft picks that were used, IMO.

If he trades for Dalton, Carr, or Stafford, I think that gives him more space and time to find that QB.  He might take one at 13 or he might pass on Love at 13 to draft an OT or a #1 WR to replace our two vets in the near future.  Probably would depend on who the QB was sitting there.

If he acquires no vet, then he has more draft options, but risks the fan base having to watch JB for another season.

I was just looking at the top of the forum page and then I went and looked at the team's homepage and noticed something; Jacoby Brissett is front and center for the advertising for season ticket sales. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but would you really have a guy you planned on getting rid of as the face of your ad? Why not have Big Q or The Maniac? I might be wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked if JB isn't under center for the upcoming season.

11 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I was just looking at the top of the forum page and then I went and looked at the team's homepage and noticed something; Jacoby Brissett is front and center for the advertising for season ticket sales. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but would you really have a guy you planned on getting rid of as the face of your ad? Why not have Big Q or The Maniac? I might be wrong, but I wouldn't be shocked if JB isn't under center for the upcoming season.

Would you expect the Colts to strip everything JB from the site?

They'd never do that for many reasons, even if they had already decided to move on. 

32 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

It's an interesting choice on their part regardless...seems a bit out of touch with the fanbase....and Leonard is just more marketable (Q as well).

But on the other side of it...perhaps NOT having JB up there would give away too much.

I will say this...the marketing dept. did the "Cain's Comeback" before this past season...and after getting 14 tgts in 7 games...Cain ends up being demoted to the PS and is now on another team. So I don't think marketing's efforts necessarily mirror the team's strategy.

45 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Would you expect the Colts to strip everything JB from the site?

They'd never do that for many reasons, even if they had already decided to move on. 

23 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

It's an interesting choice on their part regardless...seems a bit out of touch with the fanbase....and Leonard is just more marketable (Q as well).

But on the other side of it...perhaps NOT having JB up there would give away too much.

I will say this...the marketing dept. did the "Cain's Comeback" before this past season...and after getting 14 tgts in 7 games...Cain ends up being demoted to the PS and is now on another team. So I don't think marketing's efforts necessarily mirror the team's strategy.

Why put him at the center of a push for season tickets though? Seems odd. I'm not saying remove all images of him, but to have him as the centerpiece of a push for season tickets does seem out of touch. I'm really not a conspiracy theorist or anything it was more of an observation when I was looked at the top of the page and there was JB front and center on a push for season tickets.

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I noticed that a few weeks ago and keep waiting for them to change it up and show another player.

Who knows why they chose JB for the banner, but I guess there's some reason behind it.  I would think they'd feature Nelson and Leonard, at the very least.

Archived