Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Jones DT

If we take a splash into FA this season, I’m on board with this guy. He will cost a ton but he makes a difference in the middle. So unless CB is thinking of taking a DT with his first pick of the draft this year, then take the QB later, this is a great option and CB knows him from inside the organization. Win/win. 

Definitely.  I think the sentiment is pretty well received around here.  If ever there was a player out there worth spending big on for this team, Chris Jones is that guy.  Might have to pay him near Aaron Donald money, but if that's what it takes, I think Ballard should do it.  Even if it's the only Tier 1 signing we make.  I really hope KC can't afford him.

I hope that we sign Jones too. From a 3-Technique, he looks like a game wrecker  ( case in point: he helped create a turnover last night.)

I sincerely hope Ballard signs Jones and in the draft either go:

13.Herbert

34. Gallimore/Blacklock (or even trade back up into the first if Kinlaw is still there)

or 

13. Kinlaw (if Herbert is gone)

and then trade back into round 1 to get Jordan Love

• Like 2

IF he gets out of KC and IF we sign him do not, and I repeat DO NOT believe that he will be helpful in run support. He is an absolute liability in the run game. An incredible interior pass rusher however and I would be all in on him but we will definitely need to keep a run stuffing MLB on the roster.

25 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

We get so hyped about all our cap space and the prospects that we can get, in the end we get fill players and the "build through the draft" talk..

I'd rather we say goodbye to Funchese and go after Sammy Watkins who's available..

Watkins has floated potentially sitting out the 2020 season. I'll pass on that.

I just don't think it will happen.  Why would he want to come here when he could potentially play for another title?  He's got the best QB in the league, likely the next Brady.  They are going to contend for the next decade with Mahomes.  He is still going to make a lot of money in KC.  I just don't see him leaving.  But I would welcome him with open arms even if we got Kinlaw (or Brown) in the draft.

10 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I just don't think it will happen.  Why would he want to come here when he could potentially play for another title?  He's got the best QB in the league, likely the next Brady.  They are going to contend for the next decade with Mahomes.  He is still going to make a lot of money in KC.  I just don't see him leaving.  But I would welcome him with open arms even if we got Kinlaw (or Brown) in the draft.

They might not have the money to pay him. They have Mahomes to pay the next twelve months.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

We get so hyped about all our cap space and the prospects that we can get, in the end we get fill players and the "build through the draft" talk..

I'd rather we say goodbye to Funchese and go after Sammy Watkins who's available..

Yea, I'm big time going to pass on Watkins. The guy has been incredibly subpar or well below average his entire career. For being as hyped as he was he sure was a disappointment and is honestly one of the reasons teams wait to draft WR. He had a whopping 3 TD's until the playoffs. He is also going to command big money after having less than 700 yards receiving. Don't let the decent super bowl game he just had deceive you. 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

You know, you brought up a valid point.

I said it last year, and I will say it again. Donnie Avery, DHB, Hakeem Nicks, Andre Johnson, Devin Funchess, have we not had enough of these 1 year signings to realize 1 year rentals are not the solution, across GMs? I wanted us to go after Adam Humphries and Tyrell Williams last year on at least 3 year deals, and I felt they would have flourished in our system well. 

Double dipping in what would be one of the best WR classes in recent memory is the least I expect to happen this year. Outside Amari Cooper and Robby Anderson, WRs 30 and above do not excite me in free agency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Because he has a title, and titles and local endorsements in KC don't make up for potential millions in immediate bonuses and long term earnings?  Might not be the main thing, but I bet that's a big reason he'd entertain leaving

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

I think the fact that he now has a ring might actually help against your point. Now he makes sure he gets paid. He can still go somewhere that wants to win, but now gets to make big-time money. But kind of to reiterate what you said, it really depends on KCs offer and their plans with him in general. I'm 65-35 leaning towards him staying in KC, but I'd love to have him. And the other Jones too!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

I think the fact that he now has a ring might actually help against your point. Now he makes sure he gets paid. He can still go somewhere that wants to win, but now gets to make big-time money. But kind of to reiterate what you said, it really depends on KCs offer and their plans with him in general. I'm 65-35 leaning towards him staying in KC, but I'd love to have him. And the other Jones too!

Yeah I guess it depends on what is more important to him.  Of course he comes out and says he wants to stay in KC for life, but we will find out how he really feels when other teams start throwing crazy money at him, which is likely.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If we take a splash into FA this season, I’m on board with this guy. He will cost a ton but he makes a difference in the middle. So unless CB is thinking of taking a DT with his first pick of the draft this year, then take the QB later, this is a great option and CB knows him from inside the organization. Win/win. 

There is a 0% chance he is going anywhere so...
  He certainly showed why we should want a guy like him.
  At 13 there is almost no chance for Derek Brown, but if Kinlaw is there and he is thought to be a real blue chipper i would get excited for our defense. We need an interior STUD.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

There is almost 0 chance that Jones hits the FA market.  He is the perfect 3T for Spags D and the difference in both run D and pass rush D was noticeble when he was not in the game.  Plus if the Chiefs sign him then they can focus on more pressing needs at LB, DE and CB.

They need a MLB out there bad. Ragland is a 1 trick pony as a run stuffer, he is so lost in passing downs it oughta be illegal for him to be out there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

It will certainly be a challenge for Kansas City to resign Jones considering their cap situation. Same goes for San Fran and resigning Arik Armstead.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/04/chiefs-49ers-near-the-bottom-of-the-league-in-2020-cap-space/

The salary cap has never stopped a team from signing a guy they really want to keep.  It may take some creativity, juggling etc.  But the salary cap be be manipulated enough to let teams sign the players they want to sign.

On 2/3/2020 at 7:27 AM, GoColtsGo5150 said:

I hope that we sign Jones too. From a 3-Technique, he looks like a game wrecker  ( case in point: he helped create a turnover last night.)

I sincerely hope Ballard signs Jones and in the draft either go:

13.Herbert

34. Gallimore/Blacklock (or even trade back up into the first if Kinlaw is still there)

or 

13. Kinlaw (if Herbert is gone)

and then trade back into round 1 to get Jordan Love

If you go look at some Carr highlights the dude can play, and with a top 5 running game, man oh man watch out! 

Draft Kinlaw at 13, sign clowny, it would be a major, major off season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The salary cap has never stopped a team from signing a guy they really want to keep.  It may take some creativity, juggling etc.  But the salary cap be be manipulated enough to let teams sign the players they want to sign.

Yep. They’ll restructure Watkins, probably get rid of Hitchens, and even possibly Sorensen, both of whom have not wowed me. It’d be like rewarding Melvin Bullitt for his 4th and 2 stop vs the Patriots (if we refer to Sorensen’s fake punt stop vs Texans), a few sacrifices have to be made.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:52 AM, Jdubu said:

So do u really think the Chiefs will let him go? Yes they r hard up against the cap, but they will make it work. He is the best player on their D, they will not let him go

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So do u really think the Chiefs will let him go? Yes they r hard up against the cap, but they will make it work. He is the best player on their D, they will not let him go

I see anything as possible. One person we know there is zero chance to leave the team and that’s Mahomes. Outside of him, Kelce and Hill, I don’t know if anyone else has the same level of must keep at all costs for this team. I don’t follow KC and didn’t look at their cap space but I know earlier in the year, there was an article talking about KC not Re-signing him as they focused on other need to the team. So we see guys we never think would get away from a team only to see them hit a big FA payday. KC will just have to decide if they are going to include him as a center piece to the team and a top paid guy in the league.

4 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I see anything as possible. One person we know there is zero chance to leave the team and that’s Mahomes. Outside of him, Kelce and Hill, I don’t know if anyone else has the same level of must keep at all costs for this team. I don’t follow KC and didn’t look at their cap space but I know earlier in the year, there was an article talking about KC not Re-signing him as they focused on other need to the team. So we see guys we never think would get away from a team only to see them hit a big FA payday. KC will just have to decide if they are going to include him as a center piece to the team and a top paid guy in the league.

Honestly,  I could see them getting rid of Kelce before Jones.  Name the last young elite player to hit free agency ??

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I don't think it's as far fetched as some think as to Jones testing free agency. KC also has to pay Mahomes big money with an extension before the 2020 season and they are already near the bottom in cap space. 

and they want to keep Sammie Watkins too and that won't be cheap. There's going to be some good players on that team either restructured or outright let go. 

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, like others have said - he's the dream, but I doubt he hits FA. 

Best-case scenario is that the Chiefs give Mahomes a new contract before FA. That would force them to let SOMEONE go, even if it isn't Chris Jones. With Ballards ties to KC, we're just looking for improvements at this point.

Just read an article which thinks the Colts would go all in to sign him in FA if he makes it.  They also suggested the Chiefs might Franchise him and trade him.  I believe they did that with Dee Ford last year.  That's another possibility.  Trading next years 1st or 2nd might work.  We still keep this years high picks. 

The Chiefs have traded or released several top young talents in recent years.  And that was BEFORE having to re-up Mahomes after winning a Superbowl and being tight on cap space.  It would not shock me to see Jones not there, but the question is would he even want to play in Indy?  And how many other teams would be after him?

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

PFF seems to think we may go after him. I wouldn't want to shell out a bunch of money for Rivers though. 

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/19/nfl-free-agency-colts-predictions-philip-rivers-chris-jones-pro-football-focus/

I agree.  29M per year seems pretty pricy for Rivers.  I don't see Ballard going that high.  Tag and trade makes a lot of sense with Jones especially since KC did it last year and we still have the Ballard connection.  I don't think he would give up our 1st this year but after that anything is possible.  He plays the position that Ballard says is critical in order for our defense to work.  So I'm thinking this scenario is very possible. 

On 2/3/2020 at 12:09 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

There is almost 0 chance that Jones hits the FA market.  He is the perfect 3T for Spags D and the difference in both run D and pass rush D was noticeble when he was not in the game.  Plus if the Chiefs sign him then they can focus on more pressing needs at LB, DE and CB.

He's likely a tag and trade player the Chiefs cap situation with Mahomes about to get an insane deal is going to make it hard to sign him for a long term deal. 

• Like 1

Today Bill Barnwell of ESPN became the latest writer to think a tag and trade is a strong possibility.  They did it last year with Dee Ford and received a future 2nd (this years 2nd) from the 49ers as compensation.  That backfired so he thinks they would want to trade him for a pick in this years draft.  He thinks a 2nd would be the price again and he mentioned the Lions, Dolphins and Colts as having early 2nd rd picks they would be interested in.  Last year Jarett signed for 4yrs 68M.  He thinks Jones would get more and he thinks the Jones camp would be looking for 5yrs 100M.  Most likely ending somewhere in the middle.  Too pricy for them with their cap issues and a Mahomes deal looming.   Therefore he thinks a tag and trade could definitely be on the horizon.  So there could be the opportunity for our 3T.  It's amazing how many different FA and trade opportunities will be there for the Colts to consider.  

Love the idea of getting Jones, but I wouldn’t want to give up an early 2nd this year. I don’t see us going all in but like with Houston I see Ballard having a leg up over the competition if Jones has any say in where he goes - if the draft compensation is comparable between team offers. 

Also wouldn't mind adding Chris Jones for a KC reunion with Houston knowing full well what Jones is capable of creating pressure on QBs but not so much help in the run game.  Figure Jones will get around 21m/year if he does hit the market.

However I would like to see the Colts look at NT/LDT Javon Hargrave ((Steelers) who can do both jobs attacking QBs and stopping the run.  Hargrave should be a cheaper option commanding around 15m/year.  Can not see the Steelers having the cap space to resign Hargrave at this point in time.  Add someone like Gallimore in Round 1 of the draft and our DL has greatly improved over last year's unit.

Another high target FA wouldn't mind adding to replace Walker in the middle is Cory Littleton who would help in our run game.  Littleton will more likely be looking to get a 17m/year contract.  Am curious how well he can play switching from a 3-4 base LILB to a pure MLB in a 4-3 base and continue to be dominant?

9 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Today Bill Barnwell of ESPN became the latest writer to think a tag and trade is a strong possibility.  They did it last year with Dee Ford and received a future 2nd (this years 2nd) from the 49ers as compensation.  That backfired so he thinks they would want to trade him for a pick in this years draft.  He thinks a 2nd would be the price again and he mentioned the Lions, Dolphins and Colts as having early 2nd rd picks they would be interested in.  Last year Jarett signed for 4yrs 68M.  He thinks Jones would get more and he thinks the Jones camp would be looking for 5yrs 100M.  Most likely ending somewhere in the middle.  Too pricy for them with their cap issues and a Mahomes deal looming.   Therefore he thinks a tag and trade could definitely be on the horizon.  So there could be the opportunity for our 3T.  It's amazing how many different FA and trade opportunities will be there for the Colts to consider.  

Big difference between Ford and Jones though, Ford had just cost them a trip to the SB and he wasn't a great fit for Spags D.  Also they look at Jones as a person to build the defensive around.