Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Panthers @ Colts Game Day Thread

Nadine

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, stitches said:

They get paid to play or to sit. They get paid to do what their coaches/gms want them to do. And the coaches and management get paid to evaluate risk/reward and make appropriate decisions. In what world does the risk-reward calculation end on the side of playing them in those last two games? You are not improving your chances of a superbowl here. You are diminishing them. 

Leonard already talked about how scary his concussion was and there were times he didn't know if he will be able to play again. Now it seems like he has another concussion. That's 2 this year. and one of them at least was pretty bad. At 4-5 concussions players nowadays start thinking about retiring. So again... how did risk-reward calculation worked out today? 

Nelson concussion, Leonard concussion, second of the season, Khari injured... Why? What do we win here? 

Well let’s just cancel the last game altogether since neither team has anything to play for. I’m sure the fans who have paid for the “whole” season tickets won’t mind. C’mon man, it’s rough sports, it’s entertainment as well. 

Seems like Leonard cleared protocol. That's good. Hopefully he doesn't develop symptoms after the game. He didn't show symptoms during the game he got his last concussion too. 

Still, IMO there is close to zero value playing our best players in those meaningless games. 

Just now, stitches said:

Seems like Leonard cleared protocol. That's good. Hopefully he doesn't develop symptoms after the game. He didn't show symptoms during the game he got his last concussion too. 

Still, IMO there is close to zero value playing our best players in those meaningless games. 

Exactly. Symptoms pop up all the time after games. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I don't think teams can simply sit all of their important players 14 games into a season.  They can do that in preseason, and maybe the last game of the season, but doing so this early compromises the integrity of the NFL.

The way some act, we need to just shake hands at the start and concede the game. Don’t want to risk injury for next season. Probably same people who won’t let their kids grow up and explore and fail at things. No skinned knees on learning to ride a bike. Helmets for the kids walking on sidewalks. You know. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think teams can simply sit all of their important players 14 games into a season.  They can do that in preseason, and maybe the last game of the season, but doing so this early compromises the integrity of the NFL.

Playing/starting them is fine. I’d rather they play it super safe when they do get hurt though. Especially since concussion symptoms can pop up after the game, like they did with Leonard last time.

• Nadine locked this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Some more miscellaneous thoughts to share.   You're so convinced Reich is terrible.    You always cite what happened with him in San Diego.   Funny how you give him no credit for what happened with him in Philadelphia.   If memory serves, the Eagles recently won that big game at the end of the year.   What do they call that?    Oh, yes.    The Super Bowl.    You give Frank no credit for that.   Why?    Because it destroys your argument.   That's what you do,  you play up anything that supports you,  while either playing down or ignoring anything that hurts your argument.    You think Frank is what he is.   You give him no credit for 2018 because you didn't like one game,  the last game of the year.    So you act like the rest of the season didn't happen.    Players, and even coaches can improve over time,  given better players and better opportunities.   Pete Carroll was a poor NFL coach, having been fired at his first two HC jobs.   But his run at USC was so great,  he earned another shot.   Did you know his first two years in Seattle were 7-9?   Wasn't until his third years when the Seahawks became great.   And he's been a great coach there ever since,  9 years.    How did that happen?      Andy Reid had a reputation as the best coach never to win the big game for more than 2 decades.  Then he won the Super Bowl.   How'd that happen?    Oh, he got much better players!    Who knew?   Sean Payton was a great coach and then went 7-9 three straight years.    Did he become bad overnight?    No,  the Saints front office put them in terrible Salary Cap Hell for those three years.  Funny how he got smart again once the salary cap issues went away and they drafted better.   Mike McCarthy was a very good coach in GB.   Won a Super Bowl.   Now they're calling for his head in Dallas in his first year as the Cowboys have been destroyed by a ton of key injuries including the loss of three starting OL.   And now Dak.   He didn't get dumb overnight.    There have been issues out of his control.   Sometimes stuff like that happens.    Heck, Bill Belichick is suddenly mortal now that Tom Brady is gone and he's got Cam Newton.   Kyle Shannahan and Sean McVay were the two hottest OC's in the NFL a few years ago.   As the OC,  Shannahan blew the last few minutes of a Super Bowl his team should have won.   Now he's the HC in San Fran,  and he blew the 4th quarter of the SB against KC.    For one of the better offensive minds,  Shannahan is 0-2 in the 4th quarter of the two biggest games of his career.    And McVay has struggled these past few years as the team has shed talent due to salary cap issues.   But he too got out coached in the SB.    Apparently football is hard.   It's much more than a bunch of stats.   Even Next Gen Stats.   My point,  even the best minds have trouble from time to time.   People who know football understand this.   People who only know stats,  well,  don't.   If you're willing to accept my "likes",  then you have to be willing to accept my lesser emoji's as well.    You can't have it your way all the time.   Oh....    one last thought....    I've posted this repeatedly,  but you seem to have missed it.   I'm not posting very much this year because I can't see the games.    I won't go to a sports bar to watch until we're past Covid.   I'm hoping for 2022.   I think '21 is still doubtful.    So, I'm only seeing maybe 15-25 percent of the snaps on the NFL Network and the Red Zone.  With that little viewing,  I don't have much to add.    I read what I can in the media and here on this website.   But since I don't care as much about this season as most here,  I thought it would be better if I posted less.    Yeah....  I miss you too!  
    • This is good and all, but can he play Magic the Gathering?
    • Most, but not all,  most teams use their smallest CB as the Nickel.   Why do you think Kenny Moore plays mostly the nickel?  He's roughly the same height as Rodgers.    Few teams want a 5-10 corner playing outside.   Since the nickel is only in on 3 and 4 WR sets,  odds are he's going to face far more pass plays and far less run plays.   If opposing teams want to run out of passing looks,  most defenses will happily take that.     
    • Well....    you still don't make honest arguments....   and you didn't even try to address your post about giving players a half season, when you clearly haven't.     But the goal line always seems to move with you.   The argument always seems to change...    You're good at that.    Anything to try and win the argument.   You'd rather the Colts do poorly and you be right than the other way around.   It's not that way with most people....    it's pretty obvious.    
  • Members

• AwesomeAustin

AwesomeAustin 472

• Nadine

Nadine 10,598

Administrators
    • TheBlueAndWhite

TheBlueAndWhite 150

• NFLfan

NFLfan 10,330

Moderators
    • jvan1973