Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did TY just take a shot at Ebron?

Restinpeacesweetchloe

44 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I retired last Jan 1. Management knew it months before it was a possibility, co-workers didn't know until a couple days before.  Nobody thinks "I quit".

I think retired and quit are the same when you are not near the retirement age of your profession.   I'm 49.   If I walked out today, people would say I quit.   If I was 65+ and retired today, people would say I retired.  

I think Luck quit.   He had his reason, so good for him.   He'll never be wanting for $$ again in his life.   

33 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think retired and quit are the same when you are not near the retirement age of your profession.   I'm 49.   If I walked out today, people would say I quit.   If I was 65+ and retired today, people would say I retired.  

I think Luck quit.   He had his reason, so good for him.   He'll never be wanting for $$ again in his life.   

Thanks for starting your statements as "I think".  Way too many people are trying to pass off the way they feel as fact.

I retired from the military at 39.  I could have stayed longer.  Did I quit or retire?  Now for many people leaving the military after 20 years is normal so maybe that isn't a good comparison.

And I am now 58 and planning to "quit" again next year and not work a real job anymore.  I will just be leaving the company I am currently working for with no additional pension or anything because I won't qualify for any retirement package.

And either way it doesn't really matter.  How I feel about it and others feel about might be different.  Too many people here are taking this personally when it really has little to no impact on their lives - other than their enjoyment of Colts football.  

I don't think Luck quit the team - he quit football.  It's not like he just decided to give up on the Colts.  It's a way different thing.  What he made was a huge life decision to mitigate the physical damage being done to his brain and body.  I bet most of his teammates understand and don't have the negative feelings that many of folks here do.

People change their path in life all of the time.  I wish Luck well and hope he has a full and successful life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I was under 60, however I still qualified for a full value (non-reduced) pension (they don't do those anymore in the corporate world these days) but well before SS supplement can be applied for.

Like Luck, I 'could' have soldiered on, but medical issues made it to difficult to perform, especially at the levels I and my repeat customers expectations were set at.  I 'retired' before typical public retirement age, as Luck did for a typical Pro Bowl player tenure.

Here's interesting article (excerpt, link below)-

The average NFL career for a quarterback is three years.

The average NFL career for an offensive lineman is about three-and-a-half years.

The average NFL career for a wide receiver is a little more than two years.

Keep in mind that these statistics include all NFL players, some of whom may never start a game and some of whom play for longer than a decade. For instance, the average NFL career for a Pro-Bowl nominated player is 12 years.

Why NFL Players Retire -

Only about 10 years ago, the average professional football career lasted about six years. So why the earlier retirement?

Whether they opt to stop playing or are forced into early retirement, there are many reasons why NFL players exit the sport:

Concussions and other neurological injuries.

Tendon and ligament injuries, especially in the knee and ankle,

Other health concerns.

Ability and skill.

https://work.chron.com/long-average-career-nfl-player-12643.html

Semantics. I sometimes see folks resort to 'quitter' when they feel they're left holding the bag and thus have an axe to grind. Quit/Retire... results are the same.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Thanks for starting your statements as "I think".  Way too many people are trying to pass off the way they feel as fact.

I retired from the military at 39.  I could have stayed longer.  Did I quit or retire?  Now for many people leaving the military after 20 years is normal so maybe that isn't a good comparison.

And I am now 58 and planning to "quit" again next year and not work a real job anymore.  I will just be leaving the company I am currently working for with no additional pension or anything because I won't qualify for any retirement package.

And either way it doesn't really matter.  How I feel about it and others feel about might be different.  Too many people here are taking this personally when it really has little to no impact on their lives - other than their enjoyment of Colts football.  

I don't think Luck quit the team - he quit football.  It's not like he just decided to give up on the Colts.  It's a way different thing.  What he made was a huge life decision to mitigate the physical damage being done to his brain and body.  I bet most of his teammates understand and don't have the negative feelings that many of folks here do.

People change their path in life all of the time.  I wish Luck well and hope he has a full and successful life.

There is quite a bit of gray area between quit and retire.   

yeah, tough on the military comparison.   20 years is about normal, so I would lean towards "retire", but it can also be said that you quit.    I've quit a few jobs in my time.   I guess I could say I retired from Pizza Hut when I was young.   I retired from being a hotel night front desk person.   I retired form 2nd shift warehouse manager.  I've retired from allot of jobs.   Mostly with 2 weeks notice.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Myles said:

There is quite a bit of gray area between quit and retire.   

yeah, tough on the military comparison.   20 years is about normal, so I would lean towards "retire", but it can also be said that you quit.    I've quit a few jobs in my time.   I guess I could say I retired from Pizza Hut when I was young.   I retired from being a hotel night front desk person.   I retired form 2nd shift warehouse manager.  I've retired from allot of jobs.   Mostly with 2 weeks notice.

When I retired from the military I was a First Sergeant.  I had two bosses - a Squadron Commander and a Command Chief Master Sergeant.  The CMS took it personally as he helped me get the job as a First Sergeant and thought I would kind of follow in his foot steps.  We had several pretty serious conversations about it and the point I was trying to make to him was that it wasn't about everyone else or what the Air Force needed - it was about what was right for my life.  I have never regretted leaving at that point since my reason was to spend more time with my son.  The job of a First Sergeant is very time consuming if you want to be good and I was up for an unaccompanied tour to Korea.  Just not right for me so I moved on.  I quit with a pension.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

The difference between retiring and quitting in the NFL is simple... A player retires in the off season.  A player quits during the season.  It really is that simple. 

Now that would require a definition of when the "season" starts.   Is it training camp, preseason games or just the regular season games?

On 12/11/2019 at 12:22 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think so. They are really good friends and luck didn’t quit halfway through the season.

He also said he feels way better. Maybe he plays Monday. I doubt he wants to go out this season with dropping balls.

I don't think anyone would want to go out with dropping balls. :lol:

On 12/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Superman said:

You should just come out and curse the ground Luck walks on. At least that would seem genuine. 

i somewhat feel the same way, luck took the big money, he should have felt an obligation not to quit his job that he was very well paid for at the beginning of a season, past the draft, and leave his teammates and fans hanging. in my opinion he should have quit at the end of the last season to give us a chance to fill his position. he gave no consideration to his teammates or the fans who made him rich, or regard to the whole colts franchise . indy may lose its fan support and team because of the timing of him quitting his lucrative job. luck was a disgrace to the fans who paid him and his teammates by the timing of him quitting his job.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 9:31 PM, csmopar said:

He quit.

Just curious, do you feel the same way about Barry Sanders?

He retired abruptly in July right before training camp, not at the end of the previous season.  So the Lions went through the offseason (draft, free agency) thinking he would play, the fans thought he was going to play, but he abruptly retires and on top of that flies to London.

Granted, this was before Twitter, so his retirement wasn't leaked to Adam Schefter and wasn't nearly as sloppy as Lucks retirement.  But do you feel like Sanders "quit" on the Lions?

11 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

i somewhat feel the same way, luck took the big money, he should have felt an obligation not to quit his job that he was very well paid for at the beginning of a season, past the draft, and leave his teammates and fans hanging. in my opinion he should have quit at the end of the last season to give us a chance to fill his position. he gave no consideration to his teammates or the fans who made him rich, or regard to the whole colts franchise . indy may lose its fan support and team because of the timing of him quitting his lucrative job. luck was a disgrace to the fans who paid him and his teammates by the timing of him quitting his job.

Maybe he did decide to retire at the end of last season, but consider this:  Would Ballard have been able to attract FAs with Brissett as his QB?  Maybe Ballard asked Luck to hold off on retirement so he could sign some good FAs first (Funchess, Houston, etc) under the guise that they would get to play with Luck.  Maybe Ballard, Reich, and Luck realized it might be best for the team if Luck waited until August to retire, even though he might have decided to do so last January.  :dunno:

And for what it's worth, Luck was going to give the money back, but Irsay insisted he keep it (just in case he decides to come back so the Colts still retain his rights).

You're free to assume the worst, but we don't know, and we probably never will.

I'm not even mad at him. Why risk your career for a team going nowhere this season and who is likely not re-signing you; and even if they did they are going to try to give you  low contract based on the numbers you put up with the back up QB.  I think what Luck did is worse than Ebron. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Just curious, do you feel the same way about Barry Sanders?

He retired abruptly in July right before training camp, not at the end of the previous season.  So the Lions went through the offseason (draft, free agency) thinking he would play, the fans thought he was going to play, but he abruptly retires and on top of that flies to London.

Granted, this was before Twitter, so his retirement wasn't leaked to Adam Schefter and wasn't nearly as sloppy as Lucks retirement.  But do you feel like Sanders "quit" on the Lions?

Yes

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Maybe he did decide to retire at the end of last season, but consider this:  Would Ballard have been able to attract FAs with Brissett as his QB?  Maybe Ballard asked Luck to hold off on retirement so he could sign some good FAs first (Funchess, Houston, etc) under the guise that they would get to play with Luck.  Maybe Ballard, Reich, and Luck realized it might be best for the team if Luck waited until August to retire, even though he might have decided to do so last January.  :dunno:

That is an angle that is possible.  And it makes some sense for Houston, not so much for Funchess.  Neither were considered Tier 1 FAs.  But again, is a possibility and one I had not considered fully before, thanks.

And for what it's worth, Luck was going to give the money back, but Irsay insisted he keep it (just in case he decides to come back so the Colts still retain his rights).

I think the COlts reain his rights whether he gave the money back or not.  But @Superman knows more about that than I do.

You're free to assume the worst, but we don't know, and we probably never will.

I'm not sure how thinking Luck quit is assuming the worst.   But oh well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think the COlts reain his rights whether he gave the money back or not.  But @Superman knows more about that than I do.

They do, for certain now as his contract will toll.

However, a I remeber a member here (almost certain it was @csmopar) that had a post that showed an appendix notation in NFL rules that if a player attends training camp (and anything beyond) but then retires before game 1, he can un-retire before that upcoming seasons trade deadline and then hit the waiver wire... IF ... the team the player retired from sought and received back any guaranteed money (which was already given to the player at contract signing) due to them and thus losing player retention rights. Colts/Irsay did not do this.

If player unretired after trade deadline but before week 13, he could only return to the team that owned his rights.  Luck did not do this.

After week 13, he could no longer unretire that season. This has transpired.

Maybe @Superman has more info.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I think if Luck retired in the off season, Colts would definitely have been able to go after some guaranteed money and retain right (Megatron / Lions retirement?)

Before the last CBA, an arbitrator ordered Barry Sanders to repay portions on his $11 million signing bonus. but only @ 1.83 million payments on each season reporting day he doesn't 'unretire'.  Not a lump sum. I'm not sure what alterations, if any were made to the last CBA on this.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

However, a I remeber a member here (almost certain it was @csmopar) that had a post that showed an appendix notation in NFL rules that if a player attends training camp (and anything beyond) but then retires before game 1, he can un-retire before that upcoming seasons trade deadline and then hit the waiver wire... IF ... the team the player retired from sought and received back any guaranteed money (which was already given to the player at contract signing) due to them and thus losing player retention rights. Colts/Irsay did not do this.

If player unretired after trade deadline but before week 13, he could only return to the team that owned his rights.  Luck did not do this.

Correct. 

On 12/11/2019 at 2:08 PM, chad hugo said:

It may not be shot, I don't think TY is the type of person to create unnecessary drama with other teammates. 

Also, the hate on Luck is still ongoing i see, leave the man be... It's pathetic  :facepalm:

When he says 'other guys', if he was talking about a teammate, it'd be Ebron more likely than not.... that said, there are plenty of players in the NFL who have recently quit on their team for seemingly selfish reasons.... and it seems like WRs are the most 'prima donna' position in the NFL, he could have just said it with no ill intention toward anyone directly but he could also be calling out WRs from other teams.

19 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Thanks for the information.

20 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I think if Luck retired in the off season, Colts would definitely have been able to go after some guaranteed money and retain right (Megatron / Lions retirement?)

Before the last CBA, an arbitrator ordered Barry Sanders to repay portions on his $11 million signing bonus. but only @ 1.83 million payments on each season reporting day he doesn't 'unretire'.  Not a lump sum. I'm not sure what alterations, if any were made to the last CBA on this.

This is what I was thinking. The Lions still have Calvin Johnson's rights, and he repaid bonus money. I don't know of any particular details though. 

31 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t know if anyone knows this. Ebron basically got back from the Houston game and said o want to go on IR. Then he went back to Houston and played golf. All from his IG stories that week. His wife had already moved back to their Houston home a month before that. Seems this was allied planned out.

Meh.... maybe, but I doubt this was all planned out... 

I played golf, snorkeled, and went on several pub crawls on vacation in ATL and Central America after a major ankle injury in a walking boot. Walking and playing golf is a lot different than playing football. And his wife moving back... why would he send her home, then wait a month? She likely was flying south for the winter/holidays. Keep in mind they had child recently and she was spending a lot of time there during the season last year as well. IIRC, both sets of parents/grandparents are back in Houston.