Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did TY just take a shot at Ebron?

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

No.   Not even a little bit true.

Luck didn't retire mid-game.    He told Ballard and Reich the day BEFORE the game.    It was supposed to be announced the day AFTER the game.     The person you should be * at is whoever in the Colts organization that leaked the news to Shefter.   Even Ballard said so.

You're still so * at Luck,  that you're blaming HIM for something he didn't even do.    He did not quit at in the middle of a game.    And no amount of twisting of the English language makes it so.     You're * at the wrong person and blaming Luck for it.

I don't care that you think he quit on the team.   That's your opinion.   But trying to make it worse than it is by saying he quit on the team at halftime is nonsense.    And you know it.    Blaming Luck for something someone else did is nonsense.    And you know it.     You're much smarter than this....

Oh when I think of the whole situation, I blame all of them to be honest. But none of that changes a thing. He quit. However noble and justified the reasons, he quit. You can try and sugarcoat it anyway you wish. Call it a retirement call it a medical retirement, it’s still quitting

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, chad hugo said:

It may not be shot, I don't think TY is the type of person to create unnecessary drama with other teammates. 

Also, the hate on Luck is still ongoing i see, leave the man be... It's pathetic  :facepalm:

You mean the TY who called out his whole offensive line after Jacoby got sacked 10 times against Jacksonville in 2017?  Every now and then TY will go there....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moe said:

Regardless Luck quit the team, and will always be remembered that way!

He’ll be remembered that way by you others who think that.   But not by others who don’t see it that way, at all. And there are plenty of people who don’t see it that way. 

5 hours ago, csmopar said:
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’ll be remembered that way by you others who think that.   But not by others who don’t see it that way, at all. And there are plenty of people who don’t see it that way. 

I live in Indiana and most of the people I've talked to see it as he quit on the team. I feel he quit on the team. And there are plenty of other people that see it that way too. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

I live in Indiana and most of the people I've talked to see it as he quit on the team. I feel he quit on the team. And there are plenty of other people that see it that way too. 

Yep. I live here too. You see, Indiana, we a little bit screwy when it comes to things like this. We generally don’t take kindly to being led on & or bait and switched. For example, the Paul George thing a couple years ago, the John Elway thing a couple decades ago and even the McDaniels thing last year. 

If Luck had announced his retirement WITHOUT going thru warmups and throwing the balls in front of fans just half an hr before, then I think it’d gone over a lot smoother than it did. He, whether intentional or not, toyed with the fans in that regard. If he hadn’t gone and done that, and assuming the leak still happens the way it did, I know I’d at least given him more of a forgiving tone.  I’d still been disappointed but I wouldn’t feel toyed with. Granted my feelings and opinions are irrelevant in the grand scheme, I just know I’m not the only one that feels this way. 

Will i I eventually stop talking bout it, yeah. Eventually 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep. I live here too. You see, Indiana, we a little bit screwy when it comes to things like this. We generally don’t take kindly to being led on & or bait and switched. For example, the Paul George thing a couple years ago, the John Elway thing a couple decades ago and even the McDaniels thing last year. 

If Luck had announced his retirement WITHOUT going thru warmups and throwing the balls in front of fans just half an hr before, then I think it’d gone over a lot smoother than it did. He, whether intentional or not, toyed with the fans in that regard. If he hadn’t gone and done that, and assuming the leak still happens the way it did, I know I’d at least given him more of a forgiving tone.  I’d still been disappointed but I wouldn’t feel toyed with. Granted my feelings and opinions are irrelevant in the grand scheme, I just know I’m not the only one that feels this way. 

Like I said before, Luck deserved an Academy Award for that one...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep ... count me in the "he's a quitter" group.

The only way I ever see Luck as anything but a quitter would be something along the lines of him announcing he was coming back and saying something along the lines of "I just needed a year to get right, now I'm ready ...etc .. etc ..."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

Well....   I live nearly 2,000 miles away, so I can’t speak to Indiana.    I’m only talking about what I read here on this website and what professional media thinks.   And I’m fine with that. 

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Both quit to protect their futures.

Agreed.

Ebron shut it down, apparently to clean up his ankles. Probably thinking it'll help him get a contract for next year. 

None of us know what amount of pain either goes thru, or went thru.

Luck didnt quit- he realized his career was headed where he no longer wanted to go, and RETIRED.  I'm 65; believe me- that's a subject I ponder daily....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   I live nearly 2,000 miles away, so I can’t speak to Indiana.    I’m only talking about what I read here on this website and what professional media thinks.   And I’m fine with that. 

you mean the same national media that ragged on Luck when he was here? Yeah, funny how that works huh?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Superman said:

You should just come out and curse the ground Luck walks on. At least that would seem genuine. 

meh. that is just plain dumb. 

Look, I do not hate Luck. What he did was well  within his own rights. I wish him and his young family the best, truly.

However, I will criticize his actions just as I would any other player that would do it in the same manner.  Again, I REPEAT, the retirement doesn't honestly bother me and I can understand why he chose that route. However, as I have stated 5 million times now (exaggeration), it is Luck's OWN actions leading up to the leak that I find fault with. If Luck had truly made the decision the week before, day before whatever, he had no business talking about how good he felt to the media prior and he sure in the heck should not have been going thru warmups and throwing the ball, including deep balls in front of fans in the pre-game. That is the equivalent of rubbing someone's face in the dirt after you tripped them. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

If Luck had truly made the decision the week before, day before whatever, he had no business talking about how good he felt to the media prior and he sure in the heck should not have been going thru warmups and throwing the ball, including deep balls in front of fans in the pre-game. That is the equivalent of rubbing someone's face in the dirt after you tripped them. 

You say things like you don't hate Luck and you wish him the best, but then you turn around say this above, which is incredibly petty and small, IMO.

Everybody has different and varied viewpoints on the Luck situation, and that's understandable. I don't agree with them all, but we're all entitled to think and feel however we think and feel. But it feels like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. 'I wish him the best, but he's a quitter and always will be.' It comes off as disingenuous, especially coupled with the 'he quit at halftime' stuff, which we all know isn't true. 

Big picture, the franchise QB retired right before the season. It's okay to take issue with that; I do, even though I think he was probably in really bad shape mentally and emotionally, and if so, I understand why his timeline was so jacked up. I don't like it, but it is what it is, and [I think] I understand it.

So why does it matter, ultimately, that he threw in pregame? It's completely inconsequential and irrelevant. Same for his comments to the media. To me, to take issue with that either means you think he and the team are lying about the timeline (maybe they are, but there's no evidence of that), or you just hate him for the decision he made and all this other stuff is just window dressing.

And lastly, on this "quitter" thing, the word itself is a pejorative, and we all know it. That's why TY's comments are eyebrow-raising. You don't quit on your team. But again, it's disingenuous top to bottom to act like a player making the life-altering decision to retire from the NFL for his own physical and mental well-being is the same as a guy who just decided he wasn't feeling it because he wasn't getting the ball or the team wasn't winning or some other petty reason, which is what TY was referring to. It's semantics, but the word "quitter" is meant to have a negative connotation, which is why people react when you use it. And I feel like that's the reason you use it in the first place.

Again, I'm not taking issue with you feeling any kind of way. But it's like someone breaking up with you, and you act like you're over it, but you find a way to throw shade every time their name is brought up. All JMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

You say things like you don't hate Luck and you wish him the best, but then you turn around say this above, which is incredibly petty and small, IMO.

Everybody has different and varied viewpoints on the Luck situation, and that's understandable. I don't agree with them all, but we're all entitled to think and feel however we think and feel. But it feels like you're talking out of both sides of your mouth. 'I wish him the best, but he's a quitter and always will be.' It comes off as disingenuous, especially coupled with the 'he quit at halftime' stuff, which we all know isn't true. 

Big picture, the franchise QB retired right before the season. It's okay to take issue with that; I do, even though I think he was probably in really bad shape mentally and emotionally, and if so, I understand why his timeline was so jacked up. I don't like it, but it is what it is, and [I think] I understand it.

So why does it matter, ultimately, that he threw in pregame? It's completely inconsequential and irrelevant. Same for his comments to the media. To me, to take issue with that either means you think he and the team are lying about the timeline (maybe they are, but there's no evidence of that), or you just hate him for the decision he made and all this other stuff is just window dressing.

And lastly, on this "quitter" thing, the word itself is a pejorative, and we all know it. That's why TY's comments are eyebrow-raising. You don't quit on your team. But again, it's disingenuous top to bottom to act like a player making the life-altering decision to retire from the NFL for his own physical and mental well-being is the same as a guy who just decided he wasn't feeling it because he wasn't getting the ball or the team wasn't winning or some other petty reason, which is what TY was referring to. It's semantics, but the word "quitter" is meant to have a negative connotation, which is why people react when you use it. And I feel like that's the reason you use it in the first place.

Again, I'm not taking issue with you feeling any kind of way. But it's like someone breaking up with you, and you act like you're over it, but you find a way to throw shade every time their name is brought up. All JMO.

Agree with a lot that's said here. I personally think a lot of those are post-hoc rationalizations to justify your feeling of betrayal and disgust. It happens all the time with all sorts of departures - "well it wasn't that he retired, it was that he threw the ball the previous week pregame", "well it wasn't that he asked for a trade, it's that he said he wanted to stay 1 month before it", "well it wasn't that he left in FA, it was that he didn't say he wants out so we can at least get some value of of him when we could"... I've seen all of those and multiple other variations of similar sorts.

The reality is... it all stems from the same place of feeling of betrayal and unrequited dedication and commitment. There is no version of events where a superstar of the caliber of Luck/PG13/etc. leaves before he turns 30 and fans don't feel betrayed. Fans give it their all for their teams, they spend money, time, attention, effort into their fandom and they expect the same level of commitment from their stars who get paid... and when that star chooses a different path the feeling of hurt is real. I'm not saying this to minimize that feeling or to tell fans that they shouldn't feel this way... it's their absolute right to feel this way. What I'm trying to say is... it's OK to feel this way without having to pull other silly and extraneous reasons for it, other than - the guy you loved as part of your team and invested your time and money in, left you (be it to retirement, be it to FA or to requested trade, etc.)... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, csmopar said:

Oh when I think of the whole situation, I blame all of them to be honest. But none of that changes a thing. He quit. However noble and justified the reasons, he quit. You can try and sugarcoat it anyway you wish. Call it a retirement call it a medical retirement, it’s still quitting

I think he understands that it's better to walk away from the game than to limp away.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, csmopar said:

He quit and I’m with you. Regardless the shoulder is on him. It’s the injury that kept him out all of 2017. People gave Vontae Davis hell for retiring however he put up more years than Luck did. The ones giving you hell followed him from his Stanford years so don’t sweat it. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, a06cc said:

He quit and I’m with you. Regardless the shoulder is on him. It’s the injury that kept him out all of 2017. People gave Vontae Davis hell for retiring however he put up more years than Luck did. The ones giving you hell followed him from his Stanford years so don’t sweat it. 

I don’t. They are more than welcome to disagree. They are allowed their opinions & feelings. Thanks though! I knew I couldn’t be the only one that had that feeling

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t. They are more than welcome to disagree. They are allowed their opinions & feelings. Thanks though! I knew I couldn’t be the only one that had that feeling

I’m happy for him as had a child. That’s way better than a Super Bowl. I’m not going to get race involved but it was a black QB that did was Luck did... I mean look at what RG3? He is still play and people can say he was a “me” guy. Luck doesn’t get the media backlash because  he is white. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, a06cc said:

I’m happy for him as had a child. That’s way better than a Super Bowl. I’m not going to get race involved but it was a black QB that did was Luck did... I mean look at what RG3? He is still play and people can say he was a “me” guy. Luck doesn’t get the media backlash because  he is white. 

Eh let’s not get into that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Eh let’s not get into that. 

Yeah I know and that’s why I was sorry to have to say it. Look at the facts though. TY had a baby and played the same day. He was hurt with a lingering injury and is playing through it.

45 minutes ago, a06cc said:

People gave Vontae Davis hell for retiring however he put up more years than Luck did.

Interesting with the Davis comparison. If I am correct, he literally did end his playing midseason, if not...mid game. But you said "retiring", which should be the description applied to Luck. 

38 minutes ago, a06cc said:

So says the same person who claims has "3% body fat" and later posts a photo that looks 10-12% bf.

3 minutes ago, a06cc said:

What you got? Even it is a 10-12. What do you have? Oh thanks for checking out my profile too!

The fact that any person could consider 3% physically attainable (without the person being in a coma) is hilarious to point of the Darwin Awards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

The fact that any person could consider 3% physically attainable (without the person being in a coma) is hilarious to point of the Darwin Awards.

Yeah okay... My body or any of that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Now if you would like to get back on topic I’d be gladly to discuss that with you. However let’s me see a picture of you if you want to discuss body fat. 

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I have tried several times to post a body pic, but it always says "picture is to large"?  I just figure it's a problem with the site, I've been lifting weights, 40 plus years, 12 ounces at a time.  :banana:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, a06cc said:

Really?   You sure about that?

Race doesn't play a factor in this at all.   

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of this has become a Luck bashing post.  Quite a few years back - when Luck was getting destroyed on a weekly basis while he was carrying this team to 3 consecutive playoff appearances - I thought he might never sign a new contract with the Colts.  I thought he might just refuse.  Force them to franchise tag him, etc.

I feel like the team mgmt quit on him.  Everyone seemed to be willing to let him do what was in his nature and let him try and do everything to win, regardless of the abuse he was taking.  The O-line was a dumpster fire and he was a young man trying to carry a bad team.  

Making this decision was the probably the hardest decision of his life. I am sure he felt the same way about "quitting on the team" as so many have said here.  If he didn't care it would have been much easier to quit any time he wanted.  I think his commitment to his teammates is what created a bad situation when it came to deciding and announcing his retirement. 

People here talk about "the team" like it is something sacred.  This is a game folks, entertainment.  It's not battle, it's not a firefight.  I say this as a 20 year military vet.  They are playing a game for lots of money.  People tend to make football - and sports in general - way more important than it really is.  

I imagine I will get some flack from people about this and that's OK.  We all have our opinions.  My rant is over.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2019 at 4:38 PM, csmopar said:

When was it leaked that he was retiring? Mid game right? So therefore, it was a mid game retirement. Period. Who announced it is irrelevant 

Technically, he quit the Thursday before the Saturday game when he and T.Y. discussed it heart to heart-

**T.Y. Hilton, Luck’s draft classmate, heard the news from Luck on Thursday. When he heard from teammates that the news was spreading on Saturday during their preseason game, he looked into the stands for confirmation—“a lot of fans were on their phones.”

http://www.nfl.com/videos/up-to-the-minute/0ap3000001044470/Hilton-explains-emotions-after-learning-Luck-was-retiring

And I will forever say he quit on this team, no matter how justifiable his rationale may be or what his prior contributions were. 

Everyone has there feelings. Mine is 'quitting' happens when one starts being part of a program and are getting paid (salary) for it, then stopping and still collecting salary.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:18 PM, Moe said:

Regardless Luck quit the team, and will always be remembered that way!

To some.... well ok.  Not here.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:31 PM, csmopar said:

I retired last Jan 1. Management knew it months before it was a possibility, co-workers didn't know until a couple days before.  Nobody thinks "I quit".

On 12/11/2019 at 10:27 PM, csmopar said:

OK, I guess Hoosier Hospitality also can come with a side of sour Ganny Smith green apples, I see.

If Luck had announced his retirement WITHOUT going thru warmups and throwing the balls in front of fans just half an hr before, then I think it’d gone over a lot smoother than it did.

He wasn't dressed for the game, right? Didn't participate in OTA's or (after day 4) training camp? Maybe made a couple 'walk throughs' in pre season? Never a word he was healed of his 'calf' injury? Interesting stat: Jacoby Brissett took 1200 reps with the first team this offseason with Luck on the shelf, which is a full season’s worth (Luck took 1120 snaps in games last season).

He, whether intentional or not, toyed with the fans in that regard. If he hadn’t gone and done that,

Done what? Worst I can find is he, mentioned he was optimistic to be ready by September 8...

and assuming the leak still happens the way it did, I know I’d at least given him more of a forgiving tone.  I’d still been disappointed but I wouldn’t feel toyed with. Granted my feelings and opinions are irrelevant in the grand scheme, I just know I’m not the only one that feels this way. 

OK.  I was still worried Luck had not practiced in earnest and feared his medical condition.  But even I didn't foresee him deciding to retire. Just wondered how long it would be before he was (100%) ready, as Reich promised it would take before he was put back in there.

On 12/12/2019 at 7:48 AM, csmopar said:

meh. that is just plain dumb. 

Look, I do not hate Luck. What he did was well  within his own rights. I wish him and his young family the best, truly.

But...

However, I will criticize his actions just as I would any other player that would do it in the same manner.  Again, I REPEAT, the retirement doesn't honestly bother me

I remain unconvinced though...

and I can understand why he chose that route. However, as I have stated 5 million times now (exaggeration), it is Luck's OWN actions leading up to the leak that I find fault with.

Specifically, with verifiable links, what?

Not sharing his mental and physical pain and anguish, as he decides whether to keep rehabbing or leave the sport that caused the issues?

Or is it the fans felt he was sandbagging and would be in MVP form on September 8?

If Luck had truly made the decision the week before, day before whatever, he had no business talking about how good he felt to the media prior

If he wasn't, he isn't beholden to disclose that to you or the media.  No player is.

I only remember things like this "he’s optimistic he’ll be ready for the Sept. 8 regular-season opener" and such.  I'm retired from medical field (40 years in it).  That statement means NOTHING to me.  I'm optimistic I can get my 3 day honey do list done in 1. Means about the same. Fans here listen to non medical people like Reich/Ballard/Irsay on medical info when none are medical experts. I remember Irsay talking to Bill Polian on SiriusXM radio about it-

Irsay- "It's a bone -- I'm not good at these things, but it's called mo-something else -- but it's a small little bone,"   - Which is really Os Trigonum.  This right after the calf/Achilles/ Kevin Durant media swarm.  So in two weeks A.L. will be healed?  Hmmmm...  I wasn't warm and fuzzy.I'm not even sure I was in my typical 'cautiously optimistic' state either.

and he sure in the heck should not have been going thru warmups and throwing the ball,

Was he dressed in full pads along with the other 89 players?  Just curious. 
I can watch the full game on NFL game pass.  Might do it to see Chad Kelly start, and JB/Luck interaction.

including deep balls in front of fans in the pre-game.

How well was he cutting and running on that bad leg?  His arm was healed. We all knew that. It was his leg (Calf/Achilles and that little bone) we kept hearing about that was the issue.

That is the equivalent of rubbing someone's face in the dirt after you tripped them. 

No, I think staying on up to September 8 on the 53 man roster, dressing for the game, then retiring would be that, (to me). Not telling AC and T.Y.(and maybe other close guys) a couple days before the game where after he was going to announce his retirement the next Sunday following the Colts/Bears game on Saturday; only to have a Colts insider leak it to Schefter  in the 4th quarter of the game (so, not mid game, technically).

Now, before some go off on he didn't get his salary, but got his 25 million guaranteed money, think of at least these two things. 

He rehabbed all OTA's and training camp.  Those who have been though it know it is work.

Next, because he retired after the start of camp, another member (@csmopar I think it was you!) here reported-

"The rules appendix says that if the team chooses to go after any money paid to the player who retires AFTER June 1 of the league year, that the team waives their retaining rights and said player, upon wanting reinstatement, would have to go thru waivers prior to the Trade deadline and that AFTER the deadline and until week 13, they would NOT have to go thru waivers and the team they retired from would retain their rights.  After week 13, the player cannot be reinstated for that season and would have to wait until after the new league year starts. "

Colts did not go after Lucks paid guaranteed money, and now Andrews contract tolls... with Colts retaining the rights.