Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Funchess Not Expected Back This Season

Bravo

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

And I don't want one year prove it deals.  

Seeing things more clearly, many of those types of players come to a team they think has the QB that will provide them good stats.  Then after they use the QB and the team, they sign a big guaranteed contract with a team like the Jets and start losing again.

And when things don't go their way with that one year season and they don't get their stats, they're likely to be the complainers more so than the guys who are committed to being here.  Not saying that DF complained though.

True, but one year prove-its can be a short term band aid for a team as well.  This is how i viewed the Funchess deal.  I thought Cain, Fountain, or draft pick/FA would replace him after this year.

32 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Huh?

You really couldn't grasp from my post that I was inferring that the front office has written the season off, and had done so a lot earlier than fans?  They are focusing on building for next year and beyond now, much more so than before.... And that they wouldn't push guys to return, or try to talk them into gutting it out to the detriment of their health or careers, because truthfully, there's no reason to push anything beyond the "adequate" level of effort this year.  Basically, no one is going to put a ton on the line this year, and that makes sense.  If we were a two loss team, you'd see guys willing to risk more to come back, and a front office pushing for guys to give an extraordinary amount, not being ok with an ordinary amount.....

31 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

True, but one year prove-its can be a short term band aid for a team as well.  This is how i viewed the Funchess deal.  I thought Cain, Fountain, or draft pick/FA would replace him after this year.

Well, we still have one of those four options...Funch, Cain, out..... Fountain hurt.... But draft pick is doing great so far!

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I kind of feel for JB. His future depends on  playing pretty well and now he's down 4 or 5 pass catchers. 

I also don't know how this situation bolsters the case that a free agent WR is the fix.

TY was locked up until 2021. Other than that, I don't know what's going on with the WR group (and the QB).

I'll bet Ballard didn't expect to have to build an offense, I suspect he took this job because that part was taken care of.

I have no idea why anyone feels badly for JB this season. Most thought he was going to come out and be the ball protector, with the big arm who would be hitting those speed guys like Cain and PC and Ty downfield. He did none of that while the guys were healthy and all available. He couldn’t get EE on pace with last season. JB is the type of guy it appears that you would want in relief if your QB goes down mid game or is out 1-2 games but he hasn’t shown the ability to be your #1 guy, he doesn’t appear to possess the full compliment of tools needed to be a starter. Sad, I sure hoped he developed better. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep with Luck he didn’t have to worry at all. It made his job a lot easier. We are now going to see how good of a GM he really is. 

I also feel bad for Jacoby. He has had a lot of obstacles in his way. 

I have had a gut feeling the last  couple of weeks  that Luck might come back next year for a year or two while we groom a new QB.

Say what? Yeah I’m sure the guy who was tagged to replace Manning and be even better but decided he needed to step away from the team just before the opener, yeah, I’m sure he is telling the team he is open to coming back and grooming the next guy for a couple years. I absolutely don’t see that happening at all. I’d see Peyton coming back to mentor our next QB before I see Luck returning for that role. (Not Manning to play, just mentor). 

if Luck came back, it would be in a long term role. I think he stepped out for his wife/newborn and personal issues. I am pretty sure he valued that family life over football stuff and for that I’ll commend him. I’d bet money he wanted to stay on the team but he wanted that family time and the team wouldn’t permit it so he said I’m done. When the book comes out years down the road, I bet there is much of this stuff than it ever was the ankle/bone issue. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bababooey said:

No thanks.

Why not? He was in like 7 plays before getting his collarbone snapped on a TD grab, that he held onto despite the break

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Not unless he signs for a 1 year minimum contract after what happened this year. He really needs to prove himself all over again. 

Well yeah, that’s a given. 

8 hours ago, egg said:

Hate to say it but I don't think the Colts should be dependent on Hilton going into next year.

He was gimpy toward the end of last year, and has missed so much time this year, and he's older.

How ironic it is when the Colts finally get a running game established, the wheels fall off the passing game.

The Colts need WRs that can get open, and a QB who can find the open receiver, and when he sees the open receiver THROW THE BALL!

Draft a qb followed by two receivers .

10 hours ago, coltsfan_canada said:

so how did the off season spending did well for colts?

1. Funchess

2. Justin Houston <<< Guy is a beast

3. Hoyer the Destroyer

4. Jacoby Brissett. 

I am sure there are more so how did we do?

You are right, I think this last off season's FA's where a failure for the most part.  Houston was a good signing.  I would have liked to see what Funchess could have done in our offense but he just got injured in the first game and was gone for the season.

Hoyer was a bad signing.

Brissett's signing might still be a positive though.  Team was looking good before injuries took their toll and took their toll on a lot of key play makers on offense.  Because of where the injuries took their toll, Brissett is a game manager leading an offense lacking in play-makers.  Andrew Luck could maybe carry us out of this mess but Brissett can't.  

Not saying that Brissett is the guy long term but it probably would be smart if we pick up a rookie QB to have him stay around so that the rookie can learn behind him.  

Especially if we go after Jordan Love, he's not a guy you want to throw out there on week 1.  

8 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

Hard Pass

I'd give him a 1 yr deal. I really wanted to see what he could do.  Keep in mind, we may very well be losing Ebron and could use a big bodied WR.  Again, a collar bone break isn't a routine type injury. If he could hold onto the ball while breaking his collar bone as he was going down, I'd like to see what he could do long term. 

11 minutes ago, IinD said:

If I'm not mistaking aren't we finally at that point in the cap where we HAVE to spend some moolah??

Let's hope a legit WR is on the radar. Can't put it all on TY anymore. It's not fair to him or the team.

yes, but its not a TON that we have to spend.  Most of it could easily be wrapped up in extending guys like Nelson and Leonard.  Superman had a great write up on it in another thread.  I think we were less than 10 million of hitting that 90 percent mark.

• Thanks 1

No TY, Campbell, Ebron, Rogers, Funchess, trying to see a silver lining here but I see none.

At this point, I'd play 2 RB formations 70+ percent of the time with Hines as a pass catcher for most downs, and manufacture pass plays for Mo Allie Cox too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No TY, Campbell, Ebron, Rogers, Funchess, trying to see a silver lining here but I see none.

At this point, I'd play 2 RB formations 70+ percent of the time with Hines as a pass catcher for most downs, and manufacture pass plays for Mo Allie Cox too. 

No Mack either.  What team in the league could withstand losing the following:

Starting QB (Retired)

WR1 (4-5 games and counting)
WR2 (6+ Games and counting)
WR3 (Season)
WR4(Season)
WR5 (Season)
TE1 (Season)
RB1 (3 Games so far)

I can't think of even a single team that could lose that many and still make the playoffs, not even New England with the Hooded one could pull that off. Count the D players and you're looking at 20-25% of the projected 53 player Depth Chart going into the Preseason now being hurt or gone.

Yeesh.  1 game and see ya later?  I hope he gets a chance, but that obviously depends on medicals.  A broken collarbone should not be the season ending injury that it has been for Funchess.  Maybe a 6 weeks, right? 

It's going on 12 or 13 weeks now.  That suggests to me that he's got some more serious issue that might prevent healing in cases of futre broken bones.  I'm no doctor, but it doesn't exactly ease my conscience that a future freak accident doesn't end another season with us.

I hope he gets another chance with us, but I would have to think that this substantially affects his value to the point he'll test the market.

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Starting QB (Retired)

WR3 (Season)
WR4(Season)
WR5 (Season)
TE1 (Season)
RB1 (3 Games so far)

I can't think of even a single team that could lose that many and still make the playoffs, not even New England with the Hooded one could pull that off. Count the D players and you're looking at 20-25% of the projected 53 player Depth Chart going into the Preseason now being hurt or gone.

All good points but too many don't want to hear that.

Even the great Brady looked really bad last night without play makers on his offense. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Starting QB (Retired)

WR3 (Season)
WR4(Season)
WR5 (Season)
TE1 (Season)
RB1 (3 Games so far)

Yeah, and I do not think Kenny Moore is the best outside CB for us, his best asset is his short area quickness in the slot. But RYS's injury, Desir's injuries and Wilson's ineptitude have forced us to play Moore outside. He looked outmatched vs Fuller in that game, I felt. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, and I do not think Kenny Moore is the best outside CB for us, his best asset is his short area quickness in the slot. But RYS's injury, Desir's injuries and Wilson's ineptitude have forced us to play Moore outside. He looked outmatched vs Fuller in that game, I felt. 

Agreed, he's long been touted as one of the best Slot CBs, he needs to stay there if possible

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

All good points but too many don't want to hear that.

Even the great Brady looked really bad last night without play makers on his offense. 

To be frank and honest, I didn't realize just how bad we have been injured until I made that list. I mean, I knew we were banged up, but dang, the top 5 WRs being out affects everything, not just openness, but timing, reads, routes, the play calling. I mean wow. 

21 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I hope he gets another chance with us, but I would have to think that this substantially affects his value to the point he'll test the market.

I hope he doesn't. I am sick and tired of 1 year wonders or 1 year chances we take at WR starting with Donnie Avery, Hakeem Nicks, Darrius Heyward Bey, Andre Johnson, Ryan Grant and now Devin Funchess. Let us get at least a 3 year contract with a FA player that has shown durability in his career, and understand you may have to overpay a bit. 

2 guys that are underrated but have been durable are Robby Anderson of Jets and Rashard Higgins of Browns, who have been stuck on bad squads or been caught in the numbers game.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Starting QB (Retired)

WR3 (Season)
WR4(Season)
WR5 (Season)
TE1 (Season)
RB1 (3 Games so far)

We survived the defensive injuries but offensive injuries are much harder to overcome. Especially when it’s your entire WR group.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I actually thought he did well against Fuller. A lot of CB would of been torched for a TD on the play he got beat. But yes he is a star in the slot. 

30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Starting QB (Retired)

WR3 (Season)
WR4(Season)
WR5 (Season)
TE1 (Season)
RB1 (3 Games so far)

I really like this post. Go information. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I hope he doesn't. I am sick and tired of 1 year wonders or 1 year chances we take at WR starting with Donnie Avery, Hakeem Nicks, Darrius Heyward Bey, Andre Johnson, Ryan Grant and now Devin Funchess. Let us get at least a 3 year contract with a FA player that has shown durability in his career, and understand you may have to overpay a bit. 

2 guys that are underrated but have been durable are Robby Anderson of Jets and Rashard Higgins of Browns, who have been stuck on bad squads or been caught in the numbers game.

to be fair, Funchess didn't have durability issues coming in.  he'd missed a total of 3 games in 5 years, so he played in 77/80 games coming in, not counting the playoffs.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 7:40 AM, bravo4460 said:

Yikes... Really a shame.

Although it is not like he would get thrown to anyway.. Sorry, Couldn’t help myself.

Jerry Rice in his prime would have a tough time with JB. He would have gotten beat up on all the 6 and 7 yard button hooks and comeback plays.

• Like 1