Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Funchess Not Expected Back This Season

Bravo

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Not really surprised. Especially when he was saying he hadn’t fully healed enough. I do hope he resigns for next year and we give him a chance

Not unless he signs for a 1 year minimum contract after what happened this year. He really needs to prove himself all over again. 

• Like 2

Its tough to decide

I would think that his market has dropped a bit

We ARE going to need a WR from free agency

We are thin at WR, so I can see a WR taken in first 4 rounds as well as a FA, to bolster this group.........

The DOWNSIDE is that, does a FA WR WANT to come to Indy without a proven QB.......

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Jacoby really could of used his big body this year. He is the kind of Wr you can trust to wall off a defender.  I would bring him back next year If he wants to come back.  

The problem with him is that every year he’s been in the league is availability. He has been hurt every year.

14 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Well that’s why Ballard structures his FA contracts this way. Just think if we had payed out the wazoo for a big named FA and he did the same thing. Its better and cheaper to draft young guys and teach them

Well it was a injury. If he had given him a 2 year deal we would still have him for next year and he might of played really well. Injuries happen. It’s not career ending.

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Guess we need to draft two wrs

I would actually see if he wants to come back then draft another one. 

I doubt any high profile WR is itching to sign with us right now. That passing game is not doing receivers any favors. And I doubt any "prove it" candidate comes to Indy either(Ebron/Funches types). We will have to overpay for talent in the receiving core until we prove we can feed the ball to receivers through the air. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I kind of feel for JB. His future depends on  playing pretty well and now he's down 4 or 5 pass catchers. 

I also don't know how this situation bolsters the case that a free agent WR is the fix.

TY was locked up until 2021. Other than that, I don't know what's going on with the WR group (and the QB).

I'll bet Ballard didn't expect to have to build an offense, I suspect he took this job because that part was taken care of.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I doubt any high profile WR is itching to sign with us right now. That passing game is not doing receivers any favors. And I doubt any "prove it" candidate comes to Indy either(Ebron/Funches types). We will have to overpay for talent in the receiving core until we prove we can feed the ball to receivers through the air. 

IND has been the end of many FA WRs...even before the current passing offense...it’s pretty incredible actually. 

And now...it will be even difficult to get those guys anymore.

Like BUF until Allen came along...Colts will need to trade for proven WR talent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I kind of feel for JB. His future depends on playing playing pretty well and now he's down 4 or 5 pass catchers. 

I also don't know how this situation bolsters the case that a free agent WR is the fix.

TY was locked up until 2021. Other than that, I don't know what's going on with the WR group (and the QB).

I'll bet Ballard didn't expect to have to build an offense, I suspect he took this job because that part was taken care of.

Yep with Luck he didn’t have to worry at all. It made his job a lot easier. We are now going to see how good of a GM he really is. 

I also feel bad for Jacoby. He has had a lot of obstacles in his way. 

I have had a gut feeling the last  couple of weeks  that Luck might come back next year for a year or two while we groom a new QB.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

IND has been the end of many FA WRs...even before the current passing offense...it’s pretty incredible actually. 

And now...it will be even difficult to get those guys anymore.

Like BUF until Allen came along...Colts will need to trade for proven WR talent.

Or draft a couple. This is an incredibly fun and good WR class IMO. If we don't pick a QB, I would absolutely take 2 WRs early... chances are the value will be good both day 1 and day 2. 

Past time to invest on our receivers. It takes awhile for rookies to develop, so nows the time to do it. TY probably has two good years left, so drafting a really good one to learn from him, would do lots of good IMO. Tightend spot could also use a good prospect. We’re aging and lacking talent if these two areas. 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its tough to decide

I would think that his market has dropped a bit

We ARE going to need a WR from free agency

We are thin at WR, so I can see a WR taken in first 4 rounds as well as a FA, to bolster this group.........

The DOWNSIDE is that, does a FA WR WANT to come to Indy without a proven QB.......

You can always trade for one and then sign him long term if they need a new contract ie. Cooper. Or just trade for a guy like Jones possibly.   I think you need to look at all of the possibilities.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yep with Luck he didn’t have to worry at all. It made his job a lot easier. We are now going to see how good of a GM he really is. 

I have had a gut feeling the last  couple of weeks  that Luck might come back next year for a year or two while we groom a new QB.

Yea, it's a trickle-down consequence of having your best/franchise player quit on you with the regular season only a fews away. Everyone put on a happy face and proclaimed confidence, but here we are with a broken offense in need of more than just some fine tuning.

Skill positions aren't easily or quickly acquired, and a glut of injuries just magnifies the problems.

Like I suspected, the powers that be have decided this year is a washout, any wins that happen, any playoff game, would be gravy.... Just get to the off-season and try to regroup after being kicked in the nuts this yr by Luck.  Not tanking but no longer exhausting every option to scrape out a win from the front office.  I'm sure coaches and players are hitting it out, but there's no reason for guys to hurry back from injury, or anything like that.... Front office is best served scouting QB prospects right now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Pluck.

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

And I don't want one year prove it deals.  

Seeing things more clearly, many of those types of players come to a team they think has the QB that will provide them good stats.  Then after they use the QB and the team, they sign a big guaranteed contract with a team like the Jets and start losing again.

And when things don't go their way with that one year season and they don't get their stats, they're likely to be the complainers more so than the guys who are committed to being here.  Not saying that DF complained though.

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And I don't want one year prove it deals.  

Seeing things more clearly, many of those types of players come to a team they think has the QB that will provide them good stats.  Then after they use the QB and the team, they sign a big guaranteed contract with a team like the Jets and start losing again.

And when things don't go their way and they don't get their stats, their likely to be the complainers more so than the guys who are committed to being here.  Not saying that DF complained though.

I see your reasoning, but I don't mind the hired mercenaries that much. As long as they are doing their job, them being good enough to get a bigger contract elsewhere accomplishes several things:

1. they do contribute to winning at a more than fair value

2. shows other similar players that they can raise their profile here(this will keep the pipeline going)

3. Maybe the most important thing - compensatory picks. Once you get the pipeline going you might be able to get a 3d/4th/5th round compensatory picks for a lot of those that you lose. 

• Like 2

May be the first colt I never got to see play. Had to work opening weekend when he went down. Living in NC, had seen him numerous times in Carolina and had high hopes. He was clutch there. Was probably one of the few that really liked the signing. Now, may never get to see him play as a colt. I for one think he is worth resigning, should be low cost with possible good rewards. 

39 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Like I suspected, the powers that be have decided this year is a washout, any wins that happen, any playoff game, would be gravy.... Just get to the off-season and try to regroup after being kicked in the nuts this yr by Luck.  Not tanking but no longer exhausting every option to scrape out a win from the front office.  I'm sure coaches and players are hitting it out, but there's no reason for guys to hurry back from injury, or anything like that.... Front office is best served scouting QB prospects right now.

Your right. Fans are frustrated,  but the actions of the team do not show a lot of urgency. I think they know. It should be clear to fans this season , beginning with Luck retiring , was going to be a struggle. 

Hate to say it but I don't think the Colts should be dependent on Hilton going into next year.

He was gimpy toward the end of last year, and has missed so much time this year, and he's older.

How ironic it is when the Colts finally get a running game established, the wheels fall off the passing game.

The Colts need WRs that can get open, and a QB who can find the open receiver, and when he sees the open receiver THROW THE BALL!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shafty138 said:

Huh?

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Hate to say it but I don't think the Colts should be dependent on Hilton going into next year.

He was gimpy toward the end of last year, and has missed so much time this year, and he's older.

How ironic it is when the Colts finally get a running game established, the wheels fall off the passing game.

The Colts need WRs that can get open, and a QB who can find the open receiver, and when he sees the open receiver THROW THE BALL!

A little like the Twilight of Marvin’s career?