Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Autry

coltfaninnewyork

A little while back there was a thread on what players are likely to disappoint.
  I picked Autry & Kelly.  
 Autry has been pretty bad against the run and plain ineffective getting pressure.
 Kelly, IMO, has an "old" body. He is a fine, average center. Not the pre-draft stud we once thought he might become.
I wish it were not so. JMO of course.

I think that not resigning Al Woods cost us.  We no longer had that talented DL1T big body to not only hold against the run but also to keep the blockers off of Leonard.  Our DL3T guys like Autry and Hunt have had to pull back their penetration duties to compensate.

I'm keeping an eye on Javon Kinlaw from South Carolina.  He may wind up needing to be our first round pick.

• Like 2

Autry is what he’s always been. A solid pass rusher, but ineffective as a run defender. Also doesn’t consistently get into the backfield. And the Colts have signed/waived/elevated like 9 DTs this season. This may be guessing but I think there’s a lack of talent at DT. Again, just a hunch though....

5 hours ago, coltfaninnewyork said:

I was expecting a big season from him was dominating in camp .Turay injury hurting us .Has Autry been a disappointment?

It seems a majority of guys were dominating in training camp and we just cut one of those super stars and another has been healthy scratches for several weeks. I almost wouldn’t believe this staff saying PM was a top10 QB. Enthusiasm is one thing to stir up but these front office guys just outright lie about everything. I don’t trust their assessments any longer. 

8 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think that not resigning Al Woods cost us.  We no longer had that talented DL1T big body to not only hold against the run but also to keep the blockers off of Leonard.  Our DL3T guys like Autry and Hunt have had to pull back their penetration duties to compensate.

I'm keeping an eye on Javon Kinlaw from South Carolina.  He may wind up needing to be our first round pick.

I think Grover Stewart has filled in nicely for Woods. Comparable run support and a little better pass rusher.

10 hours ago, needanoline63 said:

The interior Defensive line has been pretty bad. All the best teams have at least one elite talent at defensive tackle. Brandon Williams,Michael pierce,Kenny Clark deforest Buckner,Sheldon rankins,Chris Jones. We need talent like that. Without it, we’re going nowhere this season 

The sad thing is that there are no young players who look ready to take the baton on the interior.  Our D line as a whole is an aging group

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Kelly, IMO, has an "old" body. He is a fine, average center. Not the pre-draft stud we once thought he might become.
I wish it were not so. JMO of course

haha

The difference in this offense (specifically running game) when Kelly is on the field versus out, is remarkable... and is indicative of more than a "fine, average center." Many have him rated as top 5 in this league, and I whole-heartedly agree. 

9 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I miss Al Woods

• Thanks 1

People have been complaining bitterly this year about both the oline and dline. I can't explain the dline but the oline is probably just not having Andrew Luck at qb. He could take advantage of what he saw across the line from him. Our qbs this year can't see those things. The fact that we have run the ball as well as we have this year is actually a testament to how good this oline is. There is virtually no threat of a passing game

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Hunt is the one that has been the major disappointment up front. 

I'm surprised to see you say this because you typically watch the games and don't let early results effect what you see.  Hunt had issues in the beginning of the season, but the last 3 games he's been ballin'.  The best dline the last couple of weeks has been Sheard, Stewart, Hunt and Houston.  Hunt is back to, if he is single blocked he is disrupting things in the backfield.  If he is doubled then he holds his ground.  Stewart shows some real flashes and he has one of the best get offs for a man his size.  But then he will vanish for a few plays... I don't know if it's conditioning or what.  But he has shown steady improvement throughout the year.

Autry has been disappointing.  He's has always been a liability against the run but now his pass rush is non existent.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm surprised to see you say this because you typically watch the games and don't let early results effect what you see.  Hunt had issues in the beginning of the season, but the last 3 games he's been ballin'.  The best dline the last couple of weeks has been Sheard, Stewart, Hunt and Houston.  Hunt is back to, if he is single blocked he is disrupting things in the backfield.  If he is doubled then he holds his ground.  Stewart shows some real flashes and he has one of the best get offs for a man his size.  But then he will vanish for a few plays... I don't know if it's conditioning or what.  But he has shown steady improvement throughout the year.

Autry has been disappointing.  He's has always been a liability against the run but now his pass rush is non existent.

I'll take your word for it, but the couple plays I concentrated on the front 4, Hunt was getting washed out.

I think Sheard coming back has been the biggest difference - especially the run game. He got burnt on a play where the TE snuck out for a pass, but other than that, he's been pretty solid! 

11 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Our opponents have typically scored in the teens or low 20s. I don’t know how much more you could ask unless you expect the Steel Curtain.  They’ve given our low scoring offense a shot at winning every single game.

The low scoring is likely because we don’t give up plays and the offense under Brissett doesn’t turn the ball over. But anyone who watches the games can clearly see how overmatched we are defensively.

The Interior D-line only shuts down mediocre backs like Ballage and generates no pressure. The pass defense certainly doesn’t give up anything deep but boy do they get shredded on the intermediate stuff. You don’t really need to prevent 40 yard completions when you can easily get several 9-15 yard completions multiple times during a drive.

In summary, the box score doesn’t tell the real story of how bad this defense has been. Houston and Leonard are the only ones really doing anything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'll take your word for it, but the couple plays I concentrated on the front 4, Hunt was getting washed out.

I think Sheard coming back has been the biggest difference - especially the run game. He got burnt on a play where the TE snuck out for a pass, but other than that, he's been pretty solid! 

Sheard coming back has helped a lot as well has Houston's adjustment to playing with his hand in the dirt all the time.