Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have waived WR Deon Cain (and more)

MTC

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I'd argue  it was a huge reason  why we lost. His pick 6 was a 7 to 14 point swing. If he doesn't  throw it we probably  get a td or a fg assuming  vinatieri actually  made it lol

Hoyer played well enough that the Colts should have won.   The Colts made lots of mistakes.  Most had little to do with Hoyer.    We still could have easily won despite Hoyer’s one bad throw.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MPStack said:

Mike Hart

Roy Hall

Caesar Rayford 

Deon Cain

Yep!

Roy Hall was a legend, but whatever..

A little love for DeDe Dorsey as well... Lol

1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

With the release of DT Kyle Peko that is probably an indication that Tyquan Lewis is finally gonna be active.

Your probably right. There was a interview with him in the Indy Star. He was really frustrated because the nagging injuries were effecting his practice. That’s why despite being healthy he didnt play.

If Johnson gets enough snaps and actually shows just a little bit it will be a blessing. At least he will actually contribute rather then just taking up space. Because that is what Cain was doing. 

1 hour ago, Lucky1 said:

What does this say about Cain, who gets cut when we are so thin at WR? And I'm not sure why wr don't start Kelly in this situation. We know what we have with Hoyer, he is not the long term solution. Why not give the kid a shot?

Because, Colts need a win more than Kelly needs a chance, at this critical juncture in the season.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your probably right. There was a interview with him in the Indy Star. He was really frustrated because the nagging injuries were effecting his practice. That’s why despite being healthy he didnt play.

If Johnson gets enough snaps and actually shows just a little bit it will be a blessing. At least he will actually contribute rather then just taking up space. Because that is what Cain was doing. 

Johnson  should  make some plays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Hoyer is playing we are screwed lol as for Cain its about time. But no I don't think Johnson is any better than Cain.

Johnson has a SB ring with Reich. Reich will know exactly how to use him. His stats were pretty good in the few games he played. At this point he knows how to run routes. We will see how many snaps he gets.

10 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Hoyer is playing we are screwed lol as for Cain its about time. But no I don't think Johnson is any better than Cain.

This might be your favorite post of the season so far!   Not only do you get to be negative (your preferred way of posting!) but you get to be negative about not one, not two, but three different players! 

Hoyer, Johnson, Cain!   Three of a kind!   All in one post!   It’s Christmas in November for you!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deon Cain may be picked up by the Giants, who have WR depth issues with Engram out and Sterling constantly sidelined. That is the only team I can think would pick him up.

However, we rode our faith in him as long as we could but he was truly expendable, that is what it came down to, compared to the others. I am just glad we have a QB that played in our system in pre-season in Chad Kelly that was not picked up by any other team through half of the season with so many QB injuries across the league as even a backup. 

It sure seems like a huge disconnect between the value appraisals of players amongst fans on this forum vs the big dogs making the decisions. I will just leave it at that. It is very possible and logical that, just like the Kansas City Chiefs, the Colts wanted the other team to prepare for 2 QB possibilities till Friday or Saturday before revealing the true starter.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it’s pretty clear why Cain was a 6th rd pick. It wasn’t because of the off  field issues. Although Campbell has been injured he is light years of ahead of Cain as a second rd pick should be. College is so much different then the nfl. He might eventually turn out but he needs to do what fountain did in the off season and work with a WR coach.  He probably should of not been in the 53. He should of been put on the PS. 

It sure wasn't because he didn't produce at Clemson, so what was it?  Also... What shows Campbell as so far ahead?   What has Fountain done at the pro level to show these first two that if only they emulated Daurice, they'd be producing....    

Should've.   

Look, Cain wasn't lighting it up, I hope Johnson does well, he looked good in limited time last season, so there's that, but Johnson also wasn't good enough for any other team to pick him up, and according to our own team, is a worse option than an unproven Ashton Dulin when it comes to whom they look to call up.

7 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

It sure wasn't because he didn't produce at Clemson, so what was it?  Also... What shows Campbell as so far ahead?   What has Fountain done at the pro level to show these first two that if only they emulated Daurice, they'd be producing....    

Should've.   

Look, Cain wasn't lighting it up, I hope Johnson does well, he looked good in limited time last season, so there's that, but Johnson also wasn't good enough for any other team to pick him up, and according to our own team, is a worse option than an unproven Ashton Dulin when it comes to whom they look to call up.

In college all he had to do was run fast because he was faster then everyone else. That doesn’t work in the NFL. If your not a good route runner your going to fail. 

The little we have seen from Campbell he can run routes. His TD pass was a great route. We saw a glimpse of him Sunday. It’s clear he would have really good numbers if the injury bug hadn’t hurt him this year. To be fair a 2nd round pick should be better. Campbell mentioned he worked on route running in his off time at OSU. 

What really hurt Cain was that injury. He wasn’t able to use a lot of that time to work on his skill. He should of been put in the PS in the first place until he worked things out. I do know Johnson had a injury so that might be one reason Cain made it. Fountain worked his butt off with a WR coach all off season and it seems he was turning into a good route runner.

13 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

This is why you don't build your WR group mostly out of prospects. When one doesn't pan out, you are left with a very weak group. 

Well we didn’t. We went out and got a veteran and pascal has turned out to be a gem. The problem come  when your veterans get hurt and you have to rely on the rookies. Can’t predict injuries. I think a WR group of TY, DF, pascal, and Campbell is pretty darn good. Hopefully we can stay in the playoff chase to see all of them on the field at the same time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Well we didn’t. We went out and got a veteran and pascal has turned out to be a gem. The problem come  when your veterans get hurt and you have to rely on the rookies. Can’t predict injuries. I think a WR group of TY, DF, pascal, and Campbell is pretty darn good. Hopefully we can stay in the playoff chase to see all of them on the field at the same time.

We probably should've brought Inman back. I wanted Inman back before the season. He is a good route runner with good hands but we didn't so that is water under the bridge. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We probably should've brought Inman back. I wanted Inman back before the season. He is a good route runner with good hands but we didn't so that is water under the bridge. 

Funchess is better then Inman. Plus pascal has taken that role and actually been better then Inman. At some point every team will have rookies. They need playing time to develop. Maybe though we had one to many. Maybe just Campbell. But we did keep six and I think we would of been really good if all four had stayed somewhat healthy. Hopefully TY and DF will be back next week. TY had no boot on in the locker room today on Instagram and looked ok. 

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Exactly they had one rookie WR on the roster.  They have a pro-bowler and added a capable vet to go along with a guys in Pascel and Rogers who had played well in years past plus a rookie second rounder and kid who was a draft pick the year before.

what has happened is that Rogers has taken a step backwards and they have been decimated by injury.  

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Exactly they had one rookie WR on the roster.  They have a pro-bowler and added a capable vet to go along with a guys in Pascel and Rogers who had played well in years past plus a rookie second rounder and kid who was a draft pick the year before.

what has happened is that Rogers has taken a step backwards and they have been decimated by injury.  

Plus we also kept 6 WR. Which means we kept one more then the normal so guys like Cain could develop. I am not counting out Cain for next year if he ends up back on the PS. He just needs to get a WR coach and go to work this summer. This team is so snake bitten when it comes to WR.

3 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

hopefully cain goes to the PS I dont think his struggles were all on him JB straight up ignores him 90% of the time or throws terrible throws when he does see him.

JB is out sunday according to the colts app

JB has been very accurate on his short to medium throws.
 What you are calling inaccurate to Cain is much more likely Cain not running his route precisely. He has shown footwork that looks muddled, he doesn't control them well.
 He just isn't up to par.  
 I am glad Ballard picked up on this point that i have been saying the last two weeks. It was time to let someone have a shot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

hopefully cain goes to the PS I dont think his struggles were all on him JB straight up ignores him 90% of the time or throws terrible throws when he does see him.

I need examples i can call up and review on coaches video

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think we will still win this game IMO, the team probably figures it is real important that JB is 100% for the stretch run. I just hope Hoyer doesn't get turnover happy. We need to run the ball a lot and Hoyer needs to play mistake free.

We need bad Fitzy to show... not the other one.

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

true he just sucks at going through progressions that's a big problem 

Examples, please.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

As far as Kelly goes, he should start every game EXCEPT this one with Brissett hurt. Hoyer can win this game and it shouldn't be too difficult.

Kelly starts when those 2 guys ahead of him can't go.

Until then, work hard, improve your craft, be patient and ready when opportunity knocks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hoyer played well enough that the Colts should have won.   The Colts made lots of mistakes.  Most had little to do with Hoyer.    We still could have easily won despite Hoyer’s one bad throw.   

Think he had a strip sack fumble also, but yeah, it was a cumulative effort for mistakes. Despite it all, Hoyer had 3 tds and put us in position to win. 

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I need examples i can call up and review on coaches video

We need bad Fitzy to show... not the other one.

Examples, please.

Kelly starts when those 2 guys ahead of him can't go.

Until then, work hard, improve your craft, be patient and ready when opportunity knocks.

go look at the JB threads there has been numerous pictures of JB just straight up not seeing wide open players.

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

go look at the JB threads there has been numerous pictures of JB just straight up not seeing wide open players.

I don't trust still frames.  I need examples that give me timestamp. That way I can go back and review in/them slow motion, forward and reverse what every one is doing on the coaches all 22 views.

I guess I need to find time to review the games when I can.

• Like 4

Question:

When Brissett gets activated next week or whenever, does Kelly have to clear waivers again to go to the practice squad? Also, now that he is up from the practice squad, is he required to stay on the 53 man roster for a certain amount of time, same as he does when a team claims a player off waivers?

30 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Question:

When Brissett gets activated next week or whenever, does Kelly have to clear waivers again to go to the practice squad? Also, now that he is up from the practice squad, is he required to stay on the 53 man roster for a certain amount of time, same as he does when a team claims a player off waivers?

Yes he has to clear waivers again. 

No, that 3 week rule only applies to other teams poaching from practice squads of other teams, not their own. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

if hoyer does good when jb comes back kelly may be gone again, but i hope not 

A dangerous move in this 2nd half of the season.

If Brissett or Hoyer get hurt and Kelly is gone, Ballard will have a lot of explaining to do...the Colts will be left with some backup who is unfamiliar with the system and players and probably less talented.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I don't trust still frames.  I need examples that give me timestamp. That way I can go back and review in/them slow motion, forward and reverse what every one is doing on the coaches all 22 views.

Honestly every QB in the league not just JB miss guys open downfield. If I went through every game I bet I could find almost every QB that does it 4 or 5 times a game. Last week I only recall once JB did it, he did have Cain open in the endzone and didn't see it. We still got 3 out of the drive though.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Honestly every QB in the league not just JB miss guys open downfield. If I went through every game I bet I could find almost every QB that does it 4 or 5 times a game. Last week I only recall once JB did it, he did have Cain open in the endzone and didn't see it. We still got 3 out of the drive though.

i agee they all miss seeing open men when they are under pressure, i dont buy the talk about jb slow to read, sounds like media and fan speak

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

oh dear god 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

So the Colts were just playing coy...having MIA prep for both JB and Hoyer all week. 

As for Cain...he's not currently an NFL caliber WR. Hopefully he can go back to the PS and make some progress.

Do you know what’s interesting about this. The Miami coach is from NE and knows JB and Hoyer very well. So it probably wouldn’t affect his planning very much. Will be interesting to see if he does anything that makes Hoyer struggle. Just not sure they can with that defense lacking talent.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hoyer should have a even easier time then last week. The dolphins front seven is not the Steelers and Ryan Kelly will be back at center. If this oline doesn’t look great this week something is wrong. 

We should be fine, then JB will be back at 100% vs the Jags while TY and Funch are getting close. If we win tomorrow we will be 6-3 and in 1st place in the South and everyone is getting healthy.

• Like 1