Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

State of the Franchise

Biggz21

1 minute ago, Biggz21 said:

Not necessarily looking for a trade at the kicker position, but how about a guy like Chris Harris Jr. Proven legit man coverage dominant Corner... a legit pass rusher von miller? Ryan Kerrigan? Someone better tha. Chester Roger's, Deon Cain, and Glowinski I know that's wishful thinking but with 40mill+ in cap available are we investing that money in accorn or what?

We were looking at Kerrigan. Evidently they were asking too much.

Move on. That's the least of our problems right now

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

SF also got back a 5th round pick (from a team that will likely be picking high)...so it basically offsets the 4th round pick loss (since that late 4th to early/mid 5th round range is already a crapshoot).

As for acclimating to the offense, I would say Sanders look pretty good in the SF offense after only two games. I think he would thrive in Reich's offense.

Even in the context of this season...I don't think it would have been a bad move. The Sanu deal...I wouldn't have liked though. 

It's possible that it would have turned into a bidding war and they would have cost us more.  

With Funchess due back soon, Ballard probably though Hilton, Cain, Campbell, Pascal, Rogers, Ebron, Doyle, Hines and Cox were enough to carry the team.   Especially since Brissett doesn't utilize the WR's much.  

If he was going to make a move, I would have rather seen a D-line move.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

it's kinda funny...Ballard has literally been the most transparent GM in recent memory as to what his plan is. He has said on multiple occasions that they want sustained long term success. You don't get that by just throwing away draft picks at players that might only help you for a year or so. Unless you're a team like the Patriots that are trying to win now because their window is almost shut. The Colts window is just now opening. 

Ok let's look at this on a (what if basis) he builds a team for sustained success let's say that's takes another 5 years or so with the same results we are seeing in year 3 no closer to winning superbowls how worth it is that philosophy? So essentially we would have wasted 8 years.... think outside the box

25 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wednesday was the straw that broke the camels back.  He has been fighting nagging injuries all season.  It was probably just a matter of time when something bad was going to happen.  

Well how were they supposed to know that? I'm not gonna give up a 3rd in a loaded draft because my WR has a nagging injury that may potentially lead to further injury.

That's outcome bias

3 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

We were looking at Kerrigan. Evidently they were asking too much.

Move on. That's the least of our problems right now

Unless they were asking for a 1st round picks or a high caliber player nothing could be asking too much to make your team better. But I guess let's stay content or trusting drafting guys out of college that have a 50-50 chance of being bust or all-pro

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

if colts win then they will be #1 in the division again through a tie breaker 

if we lose, we have the texans next and can tie the division if we win that one.  Miami is a should win game, but not must win in the standings 

I would say it's pretty much must-win. You can't lose to a team like that...with the back half of their schedule.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biggz21 said:

Unless they were asking for a 1st round picks or a high caliber player nothing could be asking too much to make your team better. But I guess let's stay content or trusting drafting guys out of college that have a 50-50 chance of being bust or all-pro

Wow, a 50% chance of each pick being an all-pro?? Even I didn't value draft picks THAT high! Well in that light, why on earth would you want to trade anything for Ryan Kerrigan??

3 minutes ago, Biggz21 said:

There is such a thing as asking too much to make your team better: If they ask so much that you make your team worse. I simply don't see the logic that there is no such thing as a bad trade if you're only trading draft picks...

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i do like parker did the dolphins say anything about shopping him?

As far as I know not directly but most teams don't outwardly say a player is available.  It was widely reported that many of their players were available.  They traded their best, Minkah, to Pittsburgh.  I think that move says it all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

it's kinda funny...Ballard has literally been the most transparent GM in recent memory as to what his plan is. He has said on multiple occasions that they want sustained long term success. You don't get that by just throwing away draft picks at players that might only help you for a year or so. Unless you're a team like the Patriots that are trying to win now because their window is almost shut. The Colts window is just now opening. 

It won't b opening if our 2nd rounders continue to be healthy scratches. Wilson and Lewis and I hope this is not a trend

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

Wow, a 50% chance of each pick being an all-pro?? Even I didn't value draft picks THAT high! Well in that light, why on earth would you want to trade anything for Ryan Kerrigan??

Is that not chris Ballards philosophy? " I want to build a contender by drafting" so you are banking on drafting well enough that each year you are going to get Nelson and Leonard caliber players. And silly me I have no idea why I would want Ryan Kerrigan a 4x pro-bowler and adequate pass rusher...

4 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I would say it's pretty much must-win. You can't lose to a team like that...with the back half of their schedule.

it will look bad for sure, the media really ripped into the jets yesterday

standings wise though, we would be one game behind Houston and they are up next.  we cant really lose the season next week imo, and i dont think they will lose either, they got this 

Just now, aaron11 said:

standings wise though, we would be one game behind Houston and they are up next.  we cant really lose the season next week imo, and i dont think they will lose either, they got this 

I would hope so the way we've played this season is a little scary we haven't decisively won any game or lost any game...

11 minutes ago, Biggz21 said:

Is that not chris Ballards philosophy? " I want to build a contender by drafting" so you are banking on drafting well enough that each year you are going to get Nelson and Leonard caliber players. And silly me I have no idea why I would want Ryan Kerrigan a 4x pro-bowler and adequate pass rusher...

So you're saying that the strategy that, given a pick in the draft has a 50% of yielding an All-Pro player, a team should hold on to their picks and not trade away picks for players who are 31 years old and have 2 sacks on the year, is a bad strategy???

And why do you even care so much about not getting Ryan Kerrigan after all the other problems that were exposed on Sunday? This seems like a pointless conversation

1 hour ago, Biggz21 said:

Question Coltsnation with the compiling injuries that we deal with every year just like any other team, when does it become overbearingly stubborn to "stick to the process" and solely trust in draft capital, vs bringing in proven players who can help you? They (colts organization) had to know TY was hurt and would miss significant time why not attempt to make a move to bring in another weapon? Our offense essentially has 1 playmaker. Defensively we continue to healthy scratch Quincy Wilson if he's not good enough to start with Desir being out why didn't we trade for a capable corner? Our philosophy is very wishy-washy and I don't think it's the way to build a Championship contender just my venting 2 cents. Chris Ballard always preaches competition and the roster will always look to get better and be a revolving door I don't see that. I see him harboring draft capital and signing random Defensive tackles off the street.
#Practicewhatyoupreach

I guess we should rehire GRIGSON Ballard inherited Grigson's mess he is doing fine. After what Luck did he still kept us competitive. Remember all those great free agents Grigson signed stay the course GO COLTS

Agreed,  but tell me in the 100 year history of the nfl which nfl team has had sustained success and superbowl victories with youth? You need proven commodities to show the youth how to win is all I'm saying we can have the youngest team every assembled but what is that gonna get us? Early exits and losses to lower tier teams...

I like the way hoodie seems to pick up elite talent in various ways not just the draft

Understood so they were super confident in Cain Roger's Pascal that those guys would be able to uplift this franchise vs other teams (elite) wide reciever groups that's laughable

Hmm.  But for an inexcusable pick-six, and another Vinatieri flop, the Colts win handily.  Recieving group held their own, by and large.

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Hmm.  But for an inexcusable pick-six, and another Vinatieri flop, the Colts win handily.  Recieving group held their own, by and large.

You forget the stupid Leonard penalty that cost us 3 pts.  If only one of these things doesn’t happen we win.

But yes the WR group was fine. They were not close to be a issue.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

So you're saying that the strategy that, given a pick in the draft has a 50% of yielding an All-Pro player, a team should hold on to their picks and not trade away picks for players who are 31 years old and have 2 sacks on the year, is a bad strategy???

And why do you even care so much about not getting Ryan Kerrigan after all the other problems that were exposed on Sunday? This seems like a pointless conversation

Ryan wasn't my deal breaker I'm saying anyone in general could have came to help not just the average guys we have on the roster...

I agree and disagree with the complaints about not trading mid round picks for a player before the deadline ( such as SF did for Sanders). 

1.  The Colts are fast approaching the day when only half their draft picks will make the team. The youth and talent already brought in is creating a team with far fewer opportunities for future draftees. So those 4th and 5th rounders won’t be making team automatically like they have been (exception Banner ). This argues for more aggressive use of draft picks in trade opportunities. BUT

2. The Colts are not there yet. They still have holes and Ballard is committed to using the draft to build the team and fill those holes. AND using the cap space to resign the talent deserving of a second contract. 

Since I’m in the camp that believes this team is a year or two  away from being a true contender for the big prize, I think Ballard is right to hold onto those picks for another year. 

This offseason, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a younger WR picked up in free agency or via a player for player trade.

And after the next draft, watch Ballard 

begin to trade some of those 3rd and 4th round picks to improve the team. He’ll have the luxury to do it then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Biggz21 said:

Ryan wasn't my deal breaker I'm saying anyone in general could have came to help not just the average guys we have on the roster...

How do you know what offers were offered? Ryan Kerrigan wasn't traded. Who knows what the offers were. Unless you wanted us to counter a trade that went through like the Sanu trade or the Emmanuel Sanders trade, you don't know what the negotiations were like and therefore you can't definitively say that we should've done a trade or not

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

I agree that they can't lose the division...but it would hurt. It would make that HOU game basically a must-win.

If they lose that HOU game...they are likely a couple games back in the division...and not looking so great in the WC hunt with 5 losses in conference.

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

I find it interesting that the thought here is we need offensive playmakers when the Colts should have scored 30 points probably?  Missed a PAT and then tried to "catch up" with a missed 2 point conversion, and then a missed field goal.  And that was with a backup QB that that is backing up a backup that became our starter.

We also gave up a pick 6 and gifted the Steelers a field goal at that end of the second quarter.  

I am still willing to let the young guys learn some things about what it takes to win.  

giphy.gif

I looked at this season without Luck and thought probably an 8-8 season, then got my hopes up a little and now with Jacoby hurt and likely missing games, feel like it's back to an 8-8 season.

The positive is we'll have 2 picks in the top 35 again, most likely.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maniac said:

I looked at this season without Luck and thought probably an 8-8 season, then got my hopes up a little and now with Jacoby hurt and likely missing games, feel like it's back to an 8-8 season.

The positive is we'll have 2 picks in the top 35 again, most likely.

How would it be 8-8?  Let's say Brissett misses 4 weeks, which is not a good scenario at all. You're saying we go 1-3 through those 4 weeks (the win being against the Dolphins, the lose being to each of our division opponents) and then lose against the Panthers and the Saints?

I feel like that's absolute worst case scenario. It could happen, but I don't think it's the most realistic possibility.

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I agree and disagree with the complaints about not trading mid round picks for a player before the deadline ( such as SF did for Sanders). 

1.  The Colts are fast approaching the day when only half their draft picks will make the team. The youth and talent already brought in is creating a team with far fewer opportunities for future draftees. So those 4th and 5th rounders won’t be making team automatically like they have been (exception Banner ). This argues for more aggressive use of draft picks in trade opportunities. BUT

2. The Colts are not there yet. They still have holes and Ballard is committed to using the draft to build the team and fill those holes. AND using the cap space to resign the talent deserving of a second contract. 

Since I’m in the camp that believes this team is a year or two  away from being a true contender for the big prize, I think Ballard is right to hold onto those picks for another year. 

This offseason, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a younger WR picked up in free agency or via a player for player trade.

And after the next draft, watch Ballard 

begin to trade some of those 3rd and 4th round picks to improve the team. He’ll have the luxury to do it then. 

You make some great points about draft capital. If Ballard sees the roster as being built the way he intends too then no reason why he shouldn't start to move some picks in the future drafts. With that being said nothing should be traded until he fully believes that they are only 1 player or 2 away. 

5 hours ago, Biggz21 said:

So how much longer are we willing to bank on cashing in on a Quenton Nelson and Darius Leonard generational talents eventually you hope those guys bring in multiple championships before a 10 year career or become too expensive and we ultimately let them test free agency that's the harsh reality of the Colts organization  Manning, Freeney, Sanders, Mathis, Wayne,Harrison, Brackett etc ultra talented players 1 superbowl win.... 

That list is way way longer of talented players with ZERO SB wins or even appearances. 

I don’t know if some of you missed it or what. Ballard said this team will be built through the draft. The free agents we grab have to be a fit not only for the system, but the locker room. The younger guys need to step up at the WR position while TY is out.

8 hours ago, Biggz21 said:

Question Coltsnation with the compiling injuries that we deal with every year just like any other team, when does it become overbearingly stubborn to "stick to the process" and solely trust in draft capital, vs bringing in proven players who can help you? They (colts organization) had to know TY was hurt and would miss significant time why not attempt to make a move to bring in another weapon? Our offense essentially has 1 playmaker. Defensively we continue to healthy scratch Quincy Wilson if he's not good enough to start with Desir being out why didn't we trade for a capable corner? Our philosophy is very wishy-washy and I don't think it's the way to build a Championship contender just my venting 2 cents. Chris Ballard always preaches competition and the roster will always look to get better and be a revolving door I don't see that. I see him harboring draft capital and signing random Defensive tackles off the street.
#Practicewhatyoupreach

You start off like you want to ask a question but then you answer your own question and talk about how bad you think that philosophy is.  Somehow I don't think you really want answers that differ from yours to have a discussion.

But to answer your question with an analogy, the wise person does not take money out of their 401K to invest it all in a hot stock tip.

As far as practicing what he preaches... he is doing exactly that, he preaches he wants to build the team through the draft and focused, specific FA acquisitions.  If he reacted (overreacted) to things that happened during one season and started making trades mid season and getting rid draft picks (things like you are suggesting) that would be the opposite of practicing what he preaches.

State of the franchise to me as of now is we are a playoff team but not sold on us being a SB contender yet. Luckily from everything I have been reading and hearing, JB isn't seriously injured and may miss no games. Even he misses the Miami game we should win that game. JB can lead us to the playoffs with the team we have around him now but not the SB IMO. We need another playmaker at WR, another Kicker, and our defense still needs to improve more.

We are still young and make a lot of silly mistakes at times. Yesterdays game was ugly and proof of that. I think we are good with a healthy JB but by my eye test not as good as the Pats or Ravens. With a healthy Mahomes, KC may better than us too. Tom Brady may retire soon so if that happens they will fall off a bit. Us and the Texans are pretty even.

I love our GM and like our Coach, we are solid in those area's.

• Like 1

Living here in western Pa. I was listening to radio station WDVE this morning. Their sports guys were trying real hard to find a positive from yesterdays game other than the steelers did win. One guy even said the Steelers got outplayed in all aspects of the game, gave up 3 tds to a journeyman qb, got out rushed 139 to 90(and half of the steeler rushing yards came on one play). Got a number of breaks when they needed them. Just on and on. And these guys are always upbeat on the steelers. I'll say even with yesterdays loss the state of this franchise is well ahead of the team we lost to. It's mind numbing we can never beat the steelers no matter how bad they are.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I'm glad Ballard didn't make a move there.  

Look at the weapons that where traded.  Emmanual Sanders who is 32 was traded for a 3rd and a 4th.  

Ballard has gotten Okereke, Willis, Hines, Mack and Stewart in the 3rd and 4th rounds.  You want to trade away the probability of getting a player of that caliber at age 22 away for a receiver who might play for us for 2 or 3 years tops.  Especially when he's going to come in and not know the offense?

Mohamed Sanu who is 30 was traded for a 2nd.  This guy is a career 2nd or 3rd receiver.  Ballard has drafted Leonard, Smith, Turay, Lewis, Ya-Sin, Bangou, Campbell.  You want to throw away the likelyhood of getting that kind of talent at age 22 for some temporary help?  Campbell for the record showed what he could do for the offense, he just needs to hold the ball better.  

Stand pat, TY is only out 3 or 4 weeks anyways, not the whole season.  We arn't in win now mode.  This team isn't winning a SB.  Don't throw good draft picks away chasing wins in a season that you know you won't be making a deep playoff run regardless.  

I agree however I do like Sanders  that guy is a very very good receiver still at 32 

16 hours ago, Myles said:

Perhaps they should sign Trent Cole and Andre Johnson.

I would have liked to see the Colts trade for Fitzpatrick, but I don't blame Ballard for not bringing in a WR.  We had Hilton, Pascal, Rogers, Ebron, Doyle Campbell and Cain.   Funchess due back soon as well.  Hindsight, maybe it would have been nice to grab someone.  Ballard hasn't been perfect, but I much prefer his method to most others.   

Fitzpatrick would have been such a great addition to the team, wish we did it even if it cost a 1st rd pick.

16 hours ago, aaron11 said:

if colts win then they will be #1 in the division again through a tie breaker 

if we lose, we have the texans next and can tie the division if we win that one.  Miami is a should win game, but not must win in the standings 

Miami is a must win game. Purely so we don't become a laughing stock! If we lose to Miami I truly don't know what to think of this team... 

I think our no.1 need is a damn pass rush. Seriously we gave the Steelers QB all the time in the world (apart from the safety), I really hope we address the d line in a big way next off-season.

• Like 1