Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hiring for WR

Mr.Debonair

8 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

If you were the GM, would you try and continue to make due with that we have or do you got out and get a WR, say with that extra 2nd pick? After TY man it is really tough push the ball downfield. Ebron has the yips or something also 

I’d see what it’d take to go get Diggs honestly

14 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

If you were the GM, would you try and continue to make due with that we have or do you got out and get a WR, say with that extra 2nd pick? After TY man it is really tough push the ball downfield. Ebron has the yips or something also 

We need to get somebody in here during the bye week and if Hentges cleared waivers sign him back up and send Ebron to start his burger king career he is horrible.

Just now, jameszeigler834 said:

We need to get somebody in here during the bye week and if Hentges cleared waivers sign him back up and send Ebron to start his burger king career he is horrible.

Yeah no. On all the above. Even the greats go thru slumps, case in point Adam V...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I honestly think we have enough talent. I think Jacoby lacks the vision to throw beyond 5 to 7 yards. Hes a smart game manager but nothing more. He is way to slow at reading and anticipating.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

What is this?

The Colts just won the biggest game on their schedule with smash-mouth football, and you want more flashy downfield plays to WRs?

And with TY, Funchess, Campbell, and Cain probably all coming back next year, you want to spend a high 2nd-rounder on a WR?!?

giphy.gif

• Thanks 2

This is another silly thread. Ebron has a drop problem. Outside of that, we're fine. 

JB is missing open WRs and TEs. JB left points on the field in the first half, and I'm happy to list them if you'd like. 

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I honestly think we have enough talent. I think Jacoby lacks the vision to throw beyond 5 to 7 yards. Hes a smart game manager but nothing more. He is way to slow at reading and anticipating.

this!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

What is this?

The Colts just won the biggest game on their schedule with smash-mouth football, and you want more flashy downfield plays to WRs?

And with TY, Funchess, Campbell, and Cain probably all coming back next year, you want to spend a high 2nd-rounder on a WR?!?

giphy.gif

Why makes you count Cain? I didn’t call for anything Flashy. This team needs a reliable second option not possibly good options. Teams take away TY and this offense gets very very limited

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Yup. Reich's O is dink and dunk. He has plenty of WR speed to go beyond 20 but rarely does. JB has trouble going through progressions. WR is not the issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

This is another silly thread. Ebron has a drop problem. Outside of that, we're fine. 

JB is missing open WRs and TEs. JB left points on the field in the first half, and I'm happy to list them if you'd like. 

this!

Your in the other thread making excuses for Mahomes. We need another receiver. Cain is not ready although he had a couple big plays tonight.

• Like 1

The injury to funchess is really hurting them.  None of these guys are ready to be a number two.  

With that said Brissett doesn’t help them at times.  

There was at least one play tonight where Collinsworth pointed out Cain was wide open in the middle and Jacoby just didn’t see him because he took the check down first.  Collinsworth also pointed out he had time to survey the field and wasn’t doing it and was still dumping it fast which was often the short throws.  

Now, I will say it’s not all on Jacoby either, these guys, outside of TY, aren’t doing a great job getting open.  Jacoby was 1 of 7 on passes “down the field tonight”.  If I had those kinds of numbers because guys can’t get open I’d take the check down too.  Honestly, right now the second best WR on the team is probably Pascel and he’s the guy a lot of people wanted cut.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Why makes you count Cain? I didn’t call for anything Flashy. This team needs a reliable second option not possibly good options. Teams take away TY and this offense gets very very limited

Did we even need to go downfield tonight?

We were running the ball for 8-9 yards on 1st down...  if that's limited, then sign me up for more!  haha

I'm not a supporter of the amount of hate our WR's have been getting. First off, Funchess and Campbell are both out. Secondly, Brissett and Cain seem to have a weird lack of connection. 

It seems like Reich made a concerted effort to focus on the run and go away from the passing game tonight. Which, for this game at least, isn't all that surprising. We set out to dominate the TOP and did so.

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Reich's O is dink and dunk. He has plenty of WR speed to go beyond 20 but rarely does. JB has trouble going through progressions. WR is not the issue.

I agree with the first two statements, but WR might not be an "issue," but there is great room for improvement. We have a solid WR group, but we hype it up a lot more than we should based on pure potential. 

I'm a big OSU fan so I do believe in Campbell, but he needs time to develop. Outside of him and TY, there is not a whole lot... especially after this year. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to sign/draft another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Your in the other thread making excuses for Mahomes. We need another receiver. Cain is not ready although he had a couple big plays tonight.

If the Colts were down their WR1 and WR2, you'd be freaking out and calling for us to draft two new WRs and trade immediately. Saying Mahomes is without Hill and Watkins is just fact. That's a lot of their production. Kelce dropping a bunch is like Ebron dropping 1 in terms of your freak outs.

JB has troubles going through progressions pure and simple. He cost us at least 3 (which would have sealed things much earlier), and as many as 11. He missed several wide open reads, and threw multiple times into double coverage badly (one INT, one bailed out by a PI).

It's intellectually dishonest to say he had any more than a game manager performance tonight. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fisticuffs111 said:

I'm not a supporter of the amount of hate our WR's have been getting. First off, Funchess and Campbell are both out. Secondly, Brissett and Cain seem to have a weird lack of connection. 

It seems like we made a concerted effort to go away from the passing game tonight.

As they should have.  I was scratching my head with them being so pass happy early tonight because KC was 32nd in the league vs the run and the Colts line and run game is the strength of the team.  Still it was working so I wasn’t going to argue with it.

• Like 1

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

As they should have.  I was scratching my head with them being so pass happy early tonight because KC was 32nd in the league vs the run and the Colts line and run game is the strength of the team.  Still it was working so I wasn’t going to argue with it.

I totally agree, right before you quoted me I made an edit, which was that it wasn't at all surprising. Our offensive gameplan was perfection tonight.

3 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

It seems like we made a concerted effort to go away from the passing game tonight.

I just listened to JB presser. He said he actually told Reich to keep running because it was working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If the Colts were down their WR1 and WR2, you'd be freaking out and calling for us to draft two new WRs and trade immediately. Saying Mahomes is without Hill and Watkins is just fact. That's a lot of their production. Kelce dropping a bunch is like Ebron dropping 1 in terms of your freak outs.

JB has troubles going through progressions pure and simple. He cost us at least 3 (which would have sealed things much earlier), and as many as 11. He missed several wide open reads, and threw multiple times into double coverage badly (one INT, one bailed out by a PI).

It's intellectually dishonest to say he had any more than a game manager performance tonight. 

Yes. Anyone who thinks the QB position is fine and shouldn't be targeted for improvement is delusional. Sure its not a top priority position to upgrade right now... But it will need to be done eventually...

Unless we somehow assemble a LOB or 2015 Denver defense..... Which I highly doubt.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just listened to JB presser. He said he actually told Reich to keep running because it was working.

Yup, they couldn't stop our inside run game. Like people said leading up to it, the perfect gameplan would be to run/dominate the TOP and play keep away. 

And thankfully our DL helped out, rattled Mahomes, kept him in the pocket. Just a perfectly executed game all around.

Think some of you are only looking at this game. Prior to tonight no other WR had more than 10 receptions or 70 yards. That’s bad. I hope we can make due with what’s there until DF comes back but it’s crazy to worry about the ability of every WR besides TY

Correction Pascal had 125 yards 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yes KC had injuries but so did the Colts at one point tonight the whole starting secondary for the Colts was hurt and they were playing three rookies, a third year corner at safety and a second year safety who was undrafted.  They deserve credit for holding Mahomes to one TD as does the defensive line that returned tonight and owned KC’s front.  

We saw last week how bad a zone looks if you get zero pressure.  We saw tonight why it’s good against high powered offenses if you get a pass rush.  

Sure KC has injuries but so did the Colts D and the Colts D did a better job over coming them than KC did.

As for Jacoby I agree with you.  He’s showing himself to be a game manager.  An effective one but a game manger none the less.  I hope the Colts take a hard look at the QBs in this draft.  Fromm is my personal favorite but I am also not a NFL scout either.  

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes KC had injuries but so did the Colts at one point tonight the whole starting secondary for the Colts was hurt and they were playing three rookies, a third year corner at safety and a second year safety who was undrafted.  They deserve credit for holding Mahomes to one TD as does the defensive line that returned tonight and owned KC’s front.  

We saw last week how bad a zone looks if you get zero pressure.  We saw tonight why it’s good against high powered offenses if you get a pass rush.  

Sure KC has injuries but so did the Colts D and the Colts D did a better job over coming them than KC did.

As for Jacoby I agree with you.  He’s showing himself to be a game manager.  An effective one but a game manger none the less.  I hope the Colts take a hard look at the QBs in this draft.  Fromm is my personal favorite but I am also not a NFL scout either.  

Not worried  about qb. Almost any rookie  we draft would  probably  play worse than Brissett. They might throw  for more yardage, but have more ints as well.

16 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

I agree with the first two statements, but WR might not be an "issue," but there is great room for improvement. We have a solid WR group, but we hype it up a lot more than we should based on pure potential. 

I'm a big OSU fan so I do believe in Campbell, but he needs time to develop. Outside of him and TY, there is not a whole lot... especially after this year. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to sign/draft another WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

I'm am perfectly fine with drafting a WR in the 3rd, maybe even the 2nd depending on who falls. That said, pass catching is not our problem. We have the best TE unit in the league. We have one of the best catching APBs in the league. We have one of the top 10 if not top 5 WR1s in the league. Campbell and Cain will be fine in time. If anything, the game plan is not going to stress WR until the coaches have more confidence in JB.

16 minutes ago, Calmack said:

Yes. Anyone who thinks the QB position is fine and shouldn't be targeted for improvement is delusional. Sure its not a top priority position to upgrade right now... But it will need to be done eventually...

Unless we somehow assemble a LOB or 2015 Denver defense..... Which I highly doubt.

JB has more time to improve though. I'm not saying he will, but I do believe he can get more comfortable and build more chemistry. I don't think he's ever been great at progressions though, so it's going to take a lot of work.

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Not worried  about qb. Almost any rookie  we draft would  probably  play worse than Brissett. They might throw  for more yardage, but have more ints as well.

Rookies develop and don’t stay rookies forever.  Jacoby has the rest of this year to show he can develop too.  If he does, and for the record I hope he does, then he will continue to be the guy.  However, if he keeps having issues reading the field and only throws underneath passes teams are going to figure it out at some point and it’s going to cost the Colts games.