Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hiring for WR

Mr.Debonair

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm am perfectly fine with drafting a WR in the 3rd, maybe even the 2nd depending on who falls. That said, pass catching is not our problem. We have the best TE unit in the league. We have one of the best catching APBs in the league. We have one of the top 10 if not top 5 WR1s in the league. Campbell and Cain will be fine in time. If anything, the game plan is not going to stress WR until the coaches have more confidence in JB.

More rookie WRs aren’t going to fix this.  That’s pretty much what they have now in Campbell and Cain.  What’s hurting them is the lack of experienced WRs like Hilton.  That’s why Funchess being out is so bad.  Guys are being asked to step into roles they aren’t ready for.  

I've seen WR and QB come up in multiple threads tonight.  And not in a good way.  The dust hasn't even settled from the KC game, and people are already talking about needing better QBs and WRs...  :facepalm:

Are we as Colts fans just conditioned to expect big passing plays?  Did Manning/Harrison/Wayne/Stokley and Luck/Hilton/Wayne do something to our brains?

I think we should be more focused on what just won us a huge game:  running the ball and playing defense.

skwfjw8t61r31.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rookies develop and don’t stay rookies forever.  Jacoby has the rest of this year to show he can develop too.  If he does, and for the record I hope he does, then he will continue to be the guy.  However, if he keeps having issues reading the field and only throws underneath passes teams are going to figure it out at some point and it’s going to cost the Colts games.  

We can draft a rookie  qb,but I don't  want us to just hand him the job. He would have to prove  he is better than Brissett 

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've seen WR and QB come up in multiple threads tonight.  And not in a good way.  The dust hasn't even settled from the KC game, and people are already talking about needing better QBs and WRs...  :facepalm:

Are we as Colts fans just conditioned to expect big passing plays?  Did Manning/Harrison/Wayne/Stokley and Luck/Hilton/Wayne do something to our brains?

I think we should be more focused on what just won us a huge game:  running the ball and playing defense.

skwfjw8t61r31.jpg

The fact we didn’t quickly go out every offensive drive and made Mahomes sit the bench is a big reason we won the game. Sure we could of got a couple more TD. The offense did what they needed and kept Mahomes on the sideline.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

skwfjw8t61r31.jpg

They need better play from the QB and WR position but it shouldn’t ruin a big win tonight.  It’s fair to point out and be discussed.  

With that said, the defense played out of this world good, especially with the secondary so beat up, and the line and running game remain the strength of this team.

I think it’s very possible to be both thrilled your team won a game and did something’s very well to do it but at the same time be concerned about something that has shown its head more than once this season.  

As happy as I am, I'm losing faith in this passing game.  In fact everytime we go more than 10-15 yards down field, I'm crossing my fingers.  Haven't watched the coaches angle replay yet, but my gut feeling is that it's not the WRs. 

29 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yes KC had injuries but so did the Colts at one point tonight the whole starting secondary for the Colts was hurt and they were playing three rookies, a third year corner at safety and a second year safety who was undrafted.  They deserve credit for holding Mahomes to one TD as does the defensive line that returned tonight and owned KC’s front.  

We saw last week how bad a zone looks if you get zero pressure.  We saw tonight why it’s good against high powered offenses if you get a pass rush.  

Sure KC has injuries but so did the Colts D and the Colts D did a better job over coming them than KC did.

As for Jacoby I agree with you.  He’s showing himself to be a game manager.  An effective one but a game manger none the less.  I hope the Colts take a hard look at the QBs in this draft.  Fromm is my personal favorite but I am also not a NFL scout either.  

Our zone will work well when a team has a hobbled QB who is best known for his mobility, and is down it's 2 best WRs and their current leading pass catcher who happens to be a TE (Kelce) is dropping stuff. And our O, who thrives on running, is facing a team missing 4 of it's starting front 7. 

I love that we won. I just don't have any illusions why we won.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We can draft a rookie  qb,but I don't  want us to just hand him the job. He would have to prove  he is better than Brissett 

I don’t think he would be.  Brissett has one more year on his deal.  I think it’s reasonable to think the Colts will need to see more from him before committing to him long term.  So drafting another QB to groom makes sense.  It also makes sense when you consider Hoyer isn’t getting any younger so no matter what you will need to address the QB spot somehow for the future even if it’s just as a backup.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Our zone will work well when a team has a hobbled QB who is best known for his mobility, and is down it's 2 best WRs and their current leading pass catcher who happens to be a TE (Kelce) is dropping stuff. And our O, who thrives on running, is facing a team missing 4 of it's starting front 7. 

I love that we won. I just don't have any illusions why we won.

The zone worked because the Colts front four was in MaHomes lap most of the game.  I don’t care how mobile you are if you have defenders in your face the moment you snap the ball you are going to have struggles.  

Both teams were banged up.  The Colts did a better job over coming their injuries.  They deserve credit for that.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

More rookie WRs aren’t going to fix this.  That’s pretty much what they have now in Campbell and Cain.  What’s hurting them is the lack of experienced WRs like Hilton.  That’s why Funchess being out is so bad.  Guys are being asked to step into roles they aren’t ready for.  

Don't act like Funch was a sure thing. He was drafted to be a #1 WR and struggled big time. He had a huge drop rate and was passed up by a rookie WR. That's why he was released, not traded.

We didn't draft him to be a WR1, but perhaps a #2 or 3, or a big/bully slot.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Don't act like Funch was a sure thing. He was drafted to be a #1 WR and struggled big time. He had a huge drop rate and was passed up by a rookie WR. That's why he was released, not traded.

He did very well in the pre-season with Jacoby and made some nice catches in the Chargers game before getting hurt.  He certainty looked more comfortable out there with Jacoby than anyone not named TY playing WR has.  

Also the Colts didn’t draft Funch and they don’t expect him to be a number one.  That’s TY.  They expected him to be the number two and his absence is showing.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The zone worked because the Colts front four was in MaHomes lap most of the game.  I don’t care how mobile you are if you have defenders in your face the moment you snap the ball you are going to have struggles.  

Both teams were banged up.  The Colts did a better job over coming their injuries.  They deserve credit for that.  

Compare Mahomey slinging side armed on the run in the first quarter to him later not able to get outside of the pocket. Our DL played great, and I loved the effort Huston brought, but I'm not going to pretend we didn't luck out with Mahomes hobbled.

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He did very well in the pre-season with Jacoby and made some nice catches in the Chargers game before getting hurt.  He certainty looked more comfortable out there with Jacoby than anyone not named TY playing WR has.  

Also the Colts didn’t draft Funch and they don’t expect him to be a number one.  That’s TY.  They expected him to be the number two and his absence is showing.

I did not say the Colts drafted him....

He had 5 targets which is not a lot to judge, and "pre-season" stats are just that. Cain and Fountain had great pre season stats too.

Compare Mahomey slinging side armed on the run in the first quarter to him later not able to get outside of the pocket. Our DL played great, and I loved the effort Huston brought, but I'm not going to pretend we didn't luck out with Mahomes hobbled.

He was also able to get out of the pocket later in the game and started running into sacks because the Colts d-line took over.  

You don’t think KC could say they lucked out with the whole Colts starting secondary being hurt at one point and their all-pro linebacker and one of their DTs being out?

Lets not forget coming into this game both teams couldn’t stop the run they were 31st and 32nd against the run.  The Colts shut KC’s run down and got after Mahomes, which is what lead to him getting hobbled in the first place, while the Colts exploited KC’s weakness against the run and their QB wasn’t sacked once.

This game, like most games, was won in the trenches and the Colts lines won this game.  

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I did not say the Colts drafted him....

He had 5 targets which is not a lot to judge, and "pre-season" stats are just that. Cain and Fountain had great pre season stats too.

Look at the last line in your previous post.

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The only guy you mentioned in your post in Funch so if you weren’t taking about him I am not sure who else you were taking about because you just said We didn’t draft him so I assumed it was Funch since he’s the only guy you mentioned.  

I agree the pre-season isn’t always a good indicator but in this case it’s the little we have to go on with Funch that and one regular season game where he was decent.  He preformed like a vet WR which was the point I was getting at.  More rookies are going to play like Cain and Campbell have and struggle early.  I think they need another proven vet or a very high draft pick, like a first rounder.  So I guess I should amend my statement to more project rookie WRs aren’t going to fix this.  Now does it have to be Funch going forward?  No.  That’s why he’s here on a one year prove it deal.  Still I would expect the Colts bring in another vet WR this off-season if they don’t keep Funch.

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

He was also able to get out of the pocket later in the game and started running into sacks because the Colts d-line took over.  

You don’t think KC could say they lucked out with the whole Colts starting secondary being hurt at one point and their all-pro linebacker and one of their DTs being out?

Lets not forget coming into this game both teams couldn’t stop the run they were 31st and 32nd against the run.  The Colts shut KC’s run down and got after Mahomes, which is what lead to him getting hobbled in the first place, while the Colts exploited KC’s weakness against the run and their QB wasn’t sacked once.

This game, like most games, was won in the trenches and the Colts lines won this game.  

KC's passing attack is what makes them. Mahomes is what drives them. Their running game is bottom 15. Losing that makes it much easier on the Colts secondary. Our running game is top 10, and they're horrible against the run. It's pretty clear who benefited with injuries. Be happy with the win, just don't be dishonest.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

At one point Moore and Desir went out also. Moore wasn’t sure he would be able to return. This was a masterful defensive game. It’s not like Mahomes was lighting is up before he got hurt. The offense used and chewed clock to keep him off the field.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Look at the last line in your previous post.

The only guy you mentioned in your post in Funch so if you weren’t taking about him I am not sure who else you were taking about because you just said We didn’t draft him so I assumed it was Funch since he’s the only guy you mentioned.  

I agree the pre-season isn’t always a good indicator but in this case it’s the little we have to go on with Funch that and one regular season game where he was decent.  He preformed like a vet WR which was the point I was getting at.  More rookies are going to play like Cain and Campbell have and struggle early.  I think they need another proven vet or a very high draft pick, like a first rounder.  So I guess I should amend my statement to more project rookie WRs aren’t going to fix this.  Now does it have to be Funch going forward?  No.  That’s why he’s here on a one year prove it deal.  Still I would expect the Colts bring in another vet WR this off-season if they don’t keep Funch.

I should have been clearer, but I said WE did not draft him (like NC did) to be WR1. We signed him to be #2 or #3. 

Campbell has been doing pretty well with the targets he's getting. Cain is getting poor passes. Both will be alright in time. Meanwhile, we have several other experienced pass catchers.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

At one point Moore and Desir went out also. Moore wasn’t sure he would be able to return. This was a masterful defensive game. It’s not like Mahomes was lighting is up before he got hurt. The offense used and chewed clock to keep him off the field.

If you taped the game,  go back and watch him before he got hurt.    He was scary good.   And he made us look silly at times.    The fact that we kept him off the field, isn't a negative against Mahomes,  that's not his fault.

Mahomes was brilliant at times.    He's the Real Deal and then some....  seriously.   Honestly.

KC's passing attack is what makes them. Mahomes is what drives them. Their running game is bottom 15. Losing that makes it much easier on the Colts secondary. Our running game is top 10, and they're horrible against the run. It's pretty clear who benefited with injuries. Be happy with the win, just don't be dishonest.

I am not being dishonest.  You can’t be dishonest either and pretend like the Colts secondary wasn’t in shambles.  Like I said before at one point tonight the whole starting secondary was out and the Colts were down to three rookies, one a guy just signed off the practice squad Friday, a corner turned into a safety and a second year undrafted guy.  For a team that has a QB like Mahomes he should have been able to shred it even if his top two WRs are out.  He couldn’t.  Why?  The Colts front four got after him and best him up.  There is nothing wrong with give the Colts defense credit for a job well done.  So yes KC was banged up but let’s stop pretending the Colts didn’t have injuries of their own to overcome and injuries or not the Colts fronts ability to control the line on both sides of the ball are why the Colts won.  If you don’t want to agree with that then we will have to agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I should have been clearer, but I said WE did not draft him (like NC did) to be WR1. We signed him to be #2 or #3. 

Campbell has been doing pretty well with the targets he's getting. Cain is getting poor passes. Both will be alright in time. Meanwhile, we have several other experienced pass catchers.

Right I agree with you on Funch being a number two.  TY is the clear number one.  Campbell has 10 catches for 61 yards.  Not bad for a rookie with little action in the pre-season but not enough to be a number two either.  

Cain is a mix of poor passes and just not being able to get open.  His routes are not very good if you watch them.

The other two guys are Pascel who is a second year guy and Rogers who has been a total ghost and not in a good way.  He’s also the old man of the group with this being his fourth season.  I wouldn’t exactly call them experienced pass catchers.   They are fringe roster guys who at most might be able to be your number three.  

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes it was.  The Colts lines dominated this game and that meant the Colts could play keep away on offense and on defense the rag tag secondary wasn’t asked to hold up for long because Mahomes didn’t have time to run around until things broke down.  Some of that was because he was banged up but a lot of that was because of the Colts pass rush.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Right I agree with you on Funch being a number two.  TY is the clear number one.  Campbell has 10 catches for 61 yards.  Not bad for a rookie with little action in the pre-season but not enough to be a number two either.  

Cain is a mix of poor passes and just not being able to get open.  His routes are not very good if you watch them.

The other two guys are Pascel who is a second year guy and Rogers who has been a total ghost and not in a good way.  He’s also the old man of the group with this being his fourth season.  I wouldn’t exactly call them experienced pass catchers.   They are fringe roster guys who at most might be able to be your number three.  

Do a game rewatch. Cain is getting open. The announcers called it out twice tonight. Made a big deal out of it at 8min to go in the 1st half. He was only targeted (both poorly) twice tonight, and was clearly open several other times and not looked at. It's not just Cain that's being missed while open.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Do a game rewatch. Cain is getting open. The announcers called it out twice tonight. Made a big deal out of it at 8min to go in the 1st half. He was only targeted (both poorly) twice tonight, and was clearly open several other times and not looked at. It's not just Cain that's being missed while open.

At times he does.  I would also agree, and said in this thread, that Jacoby is part of the problem.  With that said Cain has showed threw five games now he does struggle to get open at times.  It’s possible and in this case likely that both Jacoby and Cain need to get better and need to get on the same page.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

At times he does.  I would also agree, and said in this thread, that Jacoby is part of the problem.  With that said Cain has showed threw five games now he does struggle to get open at times.  It’s possible and in this case likely that both Jacoby and Cain need to get better and need to get on the same page.

Brissett  and cain need work during  the bye. They aren't  on the same page