Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly decision today?

Lucky Wolf

On 9/16/2019 at 12:56 PM, Smoke317 said:

I didn't know stats alone won championships.  We had the greatest statistical QB of all times & he flamed out more often than not in the playoffs & the 2 he did win he was mostly carried to those 2 by a great running game & a great defense.  

We we should be 2-0 right now with both coming on the road vs AFC opponents.  As long as we keep winning you can keep the stats (I do see 5 td’s to 1 int though).  When the wins stop coming we can focus strictly on stats.  

We’ll see in a few weeks how we compete against one of the better teams in the league (K.C.).  I know our last statistical marvel in Luck went in there and flamed out last post season.  So maybe just maybe the stats alone don’t win championships but good teams do.  And that’s what CB & Frank are building. 

Are you kidding me ?    Everybody  says Peyton Manning wasn’t good in the playoffs he had a few tough ones but for the most part it wasn’t on him in fact his playoff stats are pretty good if you look them up and put them against Brady .    My computer just crashed otherwise I would put up some stats that would prove you wrong.   Did you see how our defense could never stop anybody only one year did they actually stop someone and that’s when they won the Super Bowl.   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who cares?  He isn't here to win games.   He is here as a veteran to help Jacoby.   What part of that are you struggling with?  Chad Kelly in no way can help Jacoby  prepare.   Hoyer can

Last year, the coaches talked about how critical it was to have a quality backup QB (JB). Now all of sudden, it's OK just have a good mentor...

By the way, I'm perfectly fine with Hoyer as a mentor. Not as a QB2 god forbid JB miss time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The only season he surpassed 3000 yards, he had more INTs than TDs.... 

I get your sarcasm, but yes, Hoyer is horrible. If he's suck a great QB, Belichick wouldn't have cut him. 

Belichick cut Hoyer because they decided to put a young QB (Stidham) in the backup position.  They really need some kind of Brady exit strategy because the end is coming sometime in the next 2-3 years and Hoyer wasn't it.  Stidham is at least a viable potential stopgap a la  Matt Cassell.

We picked him up for the same reason the Patriots originally picked him up -- the game has passed Hoyer by in terms of actually playing the field, but he's got a ton of valuable experience and smarts that can rub off on a guy you're developing.  And we ARE still developing Brissett.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Man i'm kinda * i wanted chad as the back up QB and Hoyer let go sigh aw well i hope he clears wavers smh

There was zero scenario Hoyer was getting cut.   They just signed him.   The only other option was to keep three qbs.  They decided against it

• Like 4

Just now, EastStreet said:

Last year, the coaches talked about how critical it was to have a quality backup QB (JB). Now all of sudden, it's OK just have a good mentor...

By the way, I'm perfectly fine with Hoyer as a mentor. Not as a QB2 god forbid JB miss time.

Luck didn’t need a veteran as a backup. Jacoby does. It’s not hard to understand.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

There was zero scenario Hoyer was getting cut.   They just signed him.   The only other option was to keep three qbs.  They decided against it

Not to mention he just moved his family here. That would of been really cold.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm just saying everyone acts like we are ripping NE off when so far JB hasn't done crap and Hoyer's never will 

NE got what they needed (a WR after Edleman went down) and who is still performing for them, and we got we needed at the time. Who got the better of the trade is still debatable but should be answered after this year.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Andrew didn't need a mentor at this point of his career.    Situations are different.   The front office understands that.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Belichick has been drafting qbs in the mid rounds for years.   He drafted Jacoby in the third with Garrapolo as the backup

Exactly. Garrapolo was 2nd string when they traded their 3rd string (JB) to us. They at least got something in return for JB. They just plain cut Hoyer.

Just now, EastStreet said:

Exactly. Garrapolo was 2nd string when they traded their 3rd string (JB) to us. They at least got something in return for JB. They just plain cut Hoyer.

The colts got no offers for Kelly.   Same scenario.   Except Hoyer has starting experience and doesn't try to start fights at high school games,  doesn't get drunk and get kicked out of a teammate's party only to wonder into a stranger's house.     

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

No it isn't.   That is a great ratio for a backup QB.  Heck, you want to keep Kelly who had a 2/2 ration in preseason against 3rd stringers.   

JB had a great ratio for a back up QB. Hoyer did not.

Kelly had one true INT. The other got wrestled away from a TE.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

he also had no problem trading away JB gonna throw that out there 

Yep.  They traded their QB3 for an asset they needed badly at the time to shore up their receiving depth.

The Brissett-Dorsett trade is a win win.

Oh BTW re: Dorsett.  I didn't realize something until I went back over the stats.

You know how Dorsett had 2 TDs in the Patriots playoff drive last year?

The entire New England Patriots franchise had 2 receiving TD in their playoff drive last year.

Dorsett was the only Patriots receiver to score a touchdown in the playoffs last year 

I mean sure, most of the credit there goes to their running game, especially Michel and Burkhead who were both money, but still... holy crap.

That trade i looking better and better for both teams.

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The colts got no offers for Kelly.   Same scenario.   Except Hoyer has starting experience and doesn't try to start fights at high school games,  doesn't get drunk and get kicked out of a teammate's party only to wonder into a stranger's house.     

Yeah, imagine a young male athlete doing that!!!!

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

You obviously don't know the backup qbs job very well.    

What was Chad's TD/INT ratio in the preseason?

Last year per the coaches, it was incredibly important to have a quality backup (able to step in and win), not a mentor.

I guess that changed this year... It's now more important to have a mentor... I guess getting mentored for one year by Brady and 2 years by Luck didn't help?

QBs come in all the time and start day one. JB has been in the league 3+ years now having great mentors his first 3 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Last year per the coaches, it was incredibly important to have a quality backup (able to step in and win), not a mentor.

I guess that changed this year... It's now more important to have a mentor... I guess getting mentored for one year by Brady and 2 years by Luck didn't help?

QBs come in all the time and start day one. JB has been in the league 3+ years now having great mentors his first 3 years.

Jacoby is the starter.   Andrew caused that.   Kelly was never going to be the starter.   Hoyer has more value than Chad Kelly.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

and he doesn't win many games (16-21) either....

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

like i said, i'm fine with keeping him as a mentor. i'm not fine however with not having a quality back up if JB goes down.

Hoyer has won 16 games in the NFL.  Kelly not one pass attempted.  No team wanted to trade for his rights with 3 starting qbs down.    I think you over value Kelly

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, luvdacolts67 said:

Are you kidding me ?    Everybody  says Peyton Manning wasn’t good in the playoffs he had a few tough ones but for the most part it wasn’t on him in fact his playoff stats are pretty good if you look them up and put them against Brady .    My computer just crashed otherwise I would put up some stats that would prove you wrong.   Did you see how our defense could never stop anybody only one year did they actually stop someone and that’s when they won the Super Bowl.   

By showing me the stats you would actually be proving me right.  Because despite Peyton’s great stats we still didn’t win.  So like I said great stats don’t guarantee Super Bowls.  And the reason I call Peyton’s playoff performances underwhelming is because of the statistical marvel he showed us he was capable of being.  Just couldn’t get over the hump or out the gate more often than not in the playoffs. 

Now it wasn’t all his fault but let’s not make excuses either. How many home field playoff openers did we lose under Peyton?  Here is our point totals in playoff losses under Peyton starting with his 2nd season:  16 points, 17 points, 0 points, 14 points, 3 points, 18 points, 24 points, 17 points, & 16 points.   So the greatest statistical QB of all time (according to me anyway) could only reach 20 points once in these games that ended our season & it wasn’t on him?  

Not fully but he deserves a large large portion of the blame because could roll out the bed and score 20 points 90% of the time.  But I’m not trying to bash Peyton.  I’m just saying stats aren’t everything. We’ve tried the Peyton approach. Get the Super QB & build around him.  We had good statistical success but probably didn’t reach our potential.

I’d like to try the Patriots approach now.  Build a great team and let the QB grow with the team.  We don’t need it to be all about the QB (yet).  I’m sure those games are coming though.  We’ll see if JB has the chops to be clutch in crucial moments. If not, we’ll get somebody in here who does. But even then I hope it’s not all about them either but still more team focused.  

And I hope CK clears waivers and makes it onto the practice squad.  He needs to stay here and learn & master our system.  Then come back next year and secure the no. 2 spot or even challenge JB for his job.  He doesn’t need to go try to learn some new system & be behind all of the guys already there & maybe struggle if given a rushed opportunity. Then he may not get another chance. 

If Hoyer is on the field, it's pretty much already over. I don't think Hoyer can teach Brisset anything we would want him to learn.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'll trust CB and FR over the Kelly fan club.   They couldn't even get a 7th for him

Did they try to get a 7th? I didn't see that.