Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Howard Mudd steps down

aavmarine

Seems like a non-issue. We brought in Strausser as our choice and it seemed like there was a link from him to Mudd as some kind of mentor which meant Mudd came back with things lining up with the colts too.

it's still Strausser's unit and I am sure Mudd had a positive impact over the pre season but can't imagine it will have a big impact with him leaving. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I'm still surprised we let our OLC go last year after such tremendous improvement. 

I love HM, and this is a bit concerning. Too much change IMO. If there's regression, I won't be surprised. Hope not.... 

I think there was a lot of love for guge last year in the building and the improvement was there to see. Reich obviously just had Strausser in mind as "his guy" and seems (at least from the outside) to be perceived as more of a teacher for these guys, which is a key philosophy of Reich. 

Guge just potentially wasn't the right fit but left on good terms I believe.

To be honest I don't think a 77 year old deciding to take a step back is much of a concern, all the best to him and I am sure he left his mark on the guys. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

I think there was a lot of love for guge last year in the building and the improvement was there to see. Reich obviously just had Strausser in mind as "his guy" and seems (at least from the outside) to be perceived as more of a teacher for these guys, which is a key philosophy of Reich. 

To be honest I don't think a 77 year old deciding to take a step back is much of a concern, all the best to him and I am sure he left his mark on the guys. 

I agree on the age thing, it's more the timing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

Ya but if this line regresses this season the blame falls on Frank.

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard: Howard, Andrew is retiring.

Mudd: I know. We’re on the same flight.

Andrew retiring had zero to do with this.  He came in,   gave the team his knowledge and got out.   He is 77.  We're lucky we got him for training camp

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Andrew retiring had zero to do with this.  He came in,   gave the team his knowledge and got out.   He is 77.  We're lucky we got him for training camp

I should have put the smiley face on this. I’m just having fun with it. Much respect for Mudd. 

Enjoy retirement Howard.

As someone who has had the pleasure of spending some time(Colts/Saints SB season) with Howard Mudd on a few occasions. I'm happy he is content and ready to just set back and enjoy life.

Appreciate all the knowledge you have shared with our team over the years.

He truly is a unique human being. Loves to drink him some scotch, too. Dewers Scotch Whiskey on the rocks is his drink. Imagine him kicking a couple back and singing some Irish folk songs. So here's a scotch on the rocks in your honor, Sir.

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ2FubmV0dC1jZG4uY29tL3By

• Like 2

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm still surprised we let our OLC go last year after such tremendous improvement. 

I love HM, and this is a bit concerning. Too much change IMO. If there's regression, I won't be surprised. Hope not.... 

It is like you totally miss the fact that we eventually had 3 new starters, including an All-Pro.
Throw in the fact that the last QB went from being bad about holding on to the ball to being near the best at getting rid of it, which had Nothing to do with the last guy.
 With that, our sacks improved greatly, but we were near middle of the pack in giving up pressures. Very good run blocking, lots of room for improvement with pass blocking. Perhaps the later is Good Reason to Fire him? 
 There WERE issues with the last coach, surely some you know nothing about.
One should consider the past when looking for things to be concerned about.
Like, why did Belicheck fire him after one season! 
 Pretty sure you are poised to attack our OL play ASAP, with bias.

I'm sure after this many years the Colts have most, if not all, of HM's teachings, hints, tips, tricks, and general OL philosophy on tape/video to pull up and use whenever they want. It's not the same as one-on-one coaching, but it's helpful for indoctrinating players who may have never been exposed to his philosophy. He was very passionate about his beliefs on OL play, and at 77 he likely didn't have the stamina and fire to put into the job. It takes a lot of energy to coach professional athletes. Best of luck to a great coach in his well-deserved retirement.

7 hours ago, w87r said:

Enjoy retirement Howard.

As someone who has had the pleasure of spending some time(Colts/Saints SB season) with Howard Mudd on a few occasions. I'm happy he is content and ready to just set back and enjoy life.

Appreciate all the knowledge you have shared with our team over the years.

He truly is a unique human being. Loves to drink him some scotch, too. Dewers Scotch Whiskey on the rocks is his drink. Imagine him kicking a couple back and singing some Irish folk songs. So here's a scotch on the rocks in your honor, Sir.

aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ2FubmV0dC1jZG4uY29tL3By

https://giphy.com/gifs/fatherlyhq-dad-fathers-day-3ohzdZtUzCS7fubhT2

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Im not talking about Mudd um referring to the actual new o-line coach if the line isn't as good or better than last year then this is Frank's train wreck.

I know.  It is concerning.  But they havent played a game yet.  Wait to panic if they dont get it together by week 3 or so.

Guge had "personality issues" with several teams.  Was last years success guge?  The addition of Nelson and Smith?  A combination?  I trust Reich and Ballard.  If they think this Mudd deciple is as good as Guge, i'll accept that for now.

17 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

I know.  It is concerning.  But they havent played a game yet.  Wait to panic if they dont get it together by week 3 or so.

Guge had "personality issues" with several teams.  Was last years success guge?  The addition of Nelson and Smith?  A combination?  I trust Reich and Ballard.  If they think this Mudd deciple is as good as Guge, i'll accept that for now.

For me its stupid until this guy proves otherwise.