Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly hype

NannyMcafee

2 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Kelly is a QB that has played well vs fifth string players. He could not stick in Denver, a team with the worst QB situation in the NFL. Let's pump the brakes please. 

Since when do we ever listen to you?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

Kelly is a QB that has played well vs fifth string players. He could not stick in Denver, a team with the worst QB situation in the NFL. Let's pump the brakes please. 

he didnt stick in denver because he got in trouble.  he might have been the best QB on the team there 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Pacergeek said:

He’s beat the hell out of the competition at every level he’s played at: high school All-American, JUCO (led team to national title), college (3rd most offensive yards in single season in SEC history with 4,551 total yards and 41 TD’s and also scored 91 points against Saban’s D), and he has now lit it up against lower end NFL players. Dude can ball. It stands to reason, given his progression, that he’ll also do well against regular NFL defenses. 

Chad’s worst enemy has always been himself. If he can get past that he has franchise QB potential for someone, maybe even us. We may have had a golden ticket fall into our lap.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Lennon1940 said:

He’s beat the hell out of the competition at every level he’s played at: high school All-American, JUCO (led team to national title), college (3rd most offensive yards in single season in SEC history with 4,551 total yards and 41 TD’s and also scored 91 points against Saban’s D), and he has now lit it up against lower end NFL players. Dude can ball. It stands to reason, given his progression, that he’ll also do well against regular NFL defenses. 

Chad’s worst enemy has always been himself. If he can get past that he has franchise QB potential for someone, maybe even us. We may have had a golden ticket fall into our lap.

No doubt C. Kelly has some talent to go along with characters issues.  I don’t think you can just hand him the keys yet. 

I don’t think Brissett is starter material, but under the circumstances (Luck retirement) I can’t think of a better QB to take the reigns moving forward in 2019. JB is a good locker room guy and respected by his teammates.

The expectations were high this season and it could go south without Lick at the helm. I couldn’t see Kelly handling interviews at the moment after a bad stretch of losses like JB could do.

There are reasons to be excited about Kelly, but this is Brissett’s team now.

• Like 1

There are reasons to be excited about Kelly, but this is Brissett’s team now.

In the beginning yes, but hopefully Frank and Chris won't be like Grigs and Pagano and continue to play the inferior player because of "owing" someone (or some other equally ridiculous reason).   Brissett is in a contract year and if he doesn't play up to expectations, we have to see if Swag can lead the team better so we don't have to overpay Jacoby next year.

• Like 1

I understand the argument that Chad has only played with the 2&3's in preseason so it is unfair to compare him to Jacoby who has played vs starters.  If that is the case, then Jacoby should have PlayStation numbers when he plays in preseason, right?  Well, this year he didn't play much, so lets compare Jacoby to Chad Kelly last year.  Here is a link that shows preseason stats:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=300&category=passing&sort=5

Chad Kelly is 7th right behind Baker Mayfield and Jacoby is 21st, but chad only had 5 more attempts.

I am not sure I am buying that argument anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhougland said:

I understand the argument that Chad has only played with the 2&3's in preseason so it is unfair to compare him to Jacoby who has played vs starters.  If that is the case, then Jacoby should have PlayStation numbers when he plays in preseason, right?  Well, this year he didn't play much, so lets compare Jacoby to Chad Kelly last year.  Here is a link that shows preseason stats:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=300&category=passing&sort=5

Chad Kelly is 7th right behind Baker Mayfield and Jacoby is 21st, but chad only had 5 more attempts.

I am not sure I am buying that argument anymore.

Indeed. And those preseason numbers are from a guy who had just come off starting an entire season and had been in the league since 2016. On the contrary, that was Kelly's first time playing in the league. 

In the end, preseason numbers are futile because of the variance of players, schemes, and plays. However, Kelly passes the eye test more than JB. 

And I'm going to look at college some more here, and people might scoff and say "oh well dur, that's just college". Yes, and no. Look at the top QB's in the league. Aside from the anomaly that is Tom Brady, all the stud QB's in the NFL were freakshows in college. Mahomes, Goff, Newton, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson, Stafford, etc. 

My point being that Brissett was hardly a freakshow in college, not even close. In 27 college starts he only did it once. On the contrary, in Kelly's 22 college starts he did it twelve times, while playing in arguably the toughest college division (SEC West). Hell, in his second to last game before tearing his ACL he put up 465 yards against Auburn. 

Kelly's best season: 4,551 total yards, 41 TD's

JB's best season: 3,135 total yards, 26 TD's

My liking for Kelly has to do with his ability to be a playmaker and take over games. I've just not seen that ability by Brissett to do that and he didn't even really do that against lesser competition in college, so why would we expect him to be able to do that in the NFL?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Indeed. And those preseason numbers are from a guy who had just come off starting an entire season and had been in the league since 2016. On the contrary, that was Kelly's first time playing in the league. 

In the end, preseason numbers are futile because of the variance of players, schemes, and plays. However, Kelly passes the eye test more than JB. 

And I'm going to look at college some more here, and people might scoff and say "oh well dur, that's just college". Yes, and no. Look at the top QB's in the league. Aside from the anomaly that is Tom Brady, all the stud QB's in the NFL were freakshows in college. Mahomes, Goff, Newton, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Wilson, Stafford, etc. 

My point being that Brissett was hardly a freakshow in college, not even close. In 27 college starts he only did it once. On the contrary, in Kelly's 22 college starts he did it twelve times, while playing in arguably the toughest college division (SEC West). Hell, in his second to last game before tearing his ACL he put up 465 yards against Auburn. 

My liking for Kelly has to do with his ability to be a playmaker and take over games. I've just not seen that ability by Brissett to do that and he didn't even really do that against lesser competition in college, so why would we expect him to be able to do that in the NFL?

Agreed.  I posted this in another thread, but it is really cool so I will leave it here too.

Sport Science had Mahomes and Kelly go in and do some test:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bhougland said:

Agreed.  I posted this in another thread, but it is really cool so I will leave it here too.

Sport Science had Mahomes and Kelly go in and do some test:

Wow. That's pretty neat. Most accurate QB they've tested in six years at SportsScience

Wow. That's pretty neat. Most accurate QB they've tested in six years at SportsScience

After looking into it, only Big Ben beat his accuracy percentage, but he didn't have to do the "thread the needle" (all his were stationary) and he only beat him by 1%.

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

preseason numbers smdh why are you guys paying any attention to preseason numbers half the preseason all stars are out of the league by the following year

You want to see a good preseason performance?  here ya go

https://youtu.be/D1GdXfhKi1s

Shhhhhhh.........some fans are determined to get him replaced with Kelly as soon as possible. 

Kelly is suspended the first two games so he'll be on the Reserve/Suspended list.  They'll need somebody their for at least two games in case Brissett gets hurt.  

nah, only if Brissett start to struggle.  We all know that Ballard reads these forums to figure out his next course of action, so we are trying to influence him. /s

6 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

He was actually QB2 in Denver with fans wanting him to be the starter there, also... he got drunk at a party thrown by Von Miller and ended up being arrested for sleeping on the neighbors' couch, uninvited lol

He is better than any QB on Denver's roster, and quite possibly the best QB on OUR roster.  So after youre done pumping the breaks, check your calibrated lug nuts and your blinker fluid, please.  lol

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

He was actually QB2 in Denver with fans wanting him to be the starter there, also... he got drunk at a party thrown by Von Miller and ended up being arrested for sleeping on the neighbors' couch, uninvited lol

He is better than any QB on Denver's roster, and quite possibly the best QB on OUR roster.  So after youre done pumping the breaks, check your calibrated lug nuts and your blinker fluid, please.  lol

Not sure whats funny

JB DESERVES the chance to play QB 

He is getting it

I am also anxious to see what Kelly can do

But.....

Im PERFECTLY happy giving JB a chance, before we enthrone Kelly

Relax a bit...... IT WILL ALL PLAY OUT.......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Not sure whats funny

JB DESERVES the chance to play QB 

He is getting it

I am also anxious to see what Kelly can do

But.....

Im PERFECTLY happy giving JB a chance, before we enthrone Kelly

Relax a bit...... IT WILL ALL PLAY OUT.......

Not sure what makes you think i'm not relaxed?   I'm perfectly fine... was expecting a Super Bowl possibility this year...now i'm expecting far less.  And i'm at peace with the whole situation, completely.  I'm just of the opinion that Kelly has a FAR higher ceiling than Brisset does.  I could be proven wrong and that's just fine.

I just hope that Brisett doesnt become another guy who gets a huge starting QB contract after this season, only to be mediocre the rest of his career.  Hasnt really happened with any Colts QB in Indy, but it has happened plenty with other teams.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I'm just of the opinion that Kelly has a FAR higher ceiling than Brisset does. 

Precisely.

I just look around the league and see how every other high end QB is a legit playmaker and are the main reason why their teams are so usually so good.  Kelly is a playmaker. He always has been at every level of football. JB is an adequately serviceable QB, but he just seems like his ceiling is to be somewhere in between Blake Bortles on the low end and Dak Prescott on the high. Kelly has the athleticism and QB skills of your elite QB’s like Goff or Mahomes.

26 minutes ago, fire cartier said:

he has great ceiling why john Elway drafted him.

Elway isn't a good source to back your argument.   

I also like the upside of Kelly.   Brissett should start this season though.   Until he stinks it up or the record goes to something like 2-6, he should have the job.   The team is great around him so Brissett having a good season should be expected.    My fear is that it will lead to us signing him for too much $$.

I like the upside of Kelly,  I'm wary of his lack of actual experience.  I'm wary of the condition of his headspace.  The Manziel comparisons write themselves.  I am not gonna hand a kid like that the keys to the franchise until we've really had time to get to know him and see what makes him tick.

Let's be clear, Kelly does have great talent, but I definitely want a chance to see him in practice for a few months learning the offense and getting to know his teammates before we put him anywhere near starting QB.  If we wind up not having tht option so be it, roll the dice, but we have the luxury of time here.  We don't have to throw Kelly to the wolves.  We can actually -- and here's a crazy notion -- develop him behind an adequate starter until we're more confident that he's actually ready.

I know that's not how the Colts usually do things, they prefer to wring their players completely dry, throw them to the carrion crows, then draft a new guy and repeat, but considering Mahomes developed behind Smith, Brady behind Bledsoe, Roethlisberger behind Maddux, Rodgers behind Favre -- it seems to have a decent ratio of success to try it this way.  And we're in a position to actually do it so why on earth not?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lennon1940 said:

Precisely.

I just look around the league and see how every other high end QB is a legit playmaker and are the main reason why their teams are so usually so good.  Kelly is a playmaker. He always has been at every level of football. JB is an adequately serviceable QB, but he just seems like his ceiling is to be somewhere in between Blake Bortles on the low end and Dak Prescott on the high. Kelly has the athleticism and QB skills of your elite QB’s like Goff or Mahomes.

Man.... Im excited about Kelly as well

BUT.......

There is MORE to this story (there HAS to be)

Drafted LAST.............

On Broncos team.......  That wasnt 5 years ago......  That was LAST YEAR

If he is THAT good......  you KEEP him, there was MORE than him falling asleep on someone elses couch

LONG history of self centered, bad decisions

Jeff George had AMAZING skills.......  Ultimately the guy couldnt lead, was a VERY self serving guy..... and he lost the locker-room

Ryan Leaf had AMAZING skills....... Ultimately the guy couldnt lead, was a VERY self serving guy....  and he lost the locker-room

Kelly APPEARS to have AMAZING skills..........

But give him some time to prove the complete person that the Colts need

To lead a middle of the country, conservative areas football team

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Imgrandojji said:

I like the upside of Kelly,  I'm wary of his lack of actual experience.  I'm wary of the condition of his headspace.  The Manziel comparisons write themselves.  I am not gonna hand a kid like that the keys to the franchise until we've really had time to get to know him and see what makes him tick.

Let's be clear, Kelly does have great talent, but I definitely want a chance to see him in practice for a few months learning the offense and getting to know his teammates before we put him anywhere near starting QB.  If we wind up not having tht option so be it, roll the dice, but we have the luxury of time here.  We don't have to throw Kelly to the wolves.  We can actually -- and here's a crazy notion -- develop him behind an adequate starter until we're more confident that he's actually ready.

I know that's not how the Colts usually do things, they prefer to wring their players completely dry, throw them to the carrion crows, then draft a new guy and repeat, but considering Mahomes developed behind Smith, Brady behind Bledsoe, Roethlisberger behind Maddux, Rodgers behind Favre -- it seems to have a decent ratio of success to try it this way.  And we're in a position to actually do it so why on earth not?

Very good points.

1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Does anyone wonder what Chad's uncle Jim told his former teammate (coach Reich) about his nephew before the Colts signed him this year? I do, that was probably a pretty good conversation.

Probably told him that Chad has blown up defenses and scored points at every level of organized football he’s ever played in and if only that knucklehead could learn to be a little wiser off the field that Reich could have a real diamond in the rough who could impact Colts games positively. 

Look, this is the second year in a row where he was brought onto a team  that had no financial stake in him and yet not only made the roster but turned heads in doing so. Obviously the Colts situation with Luck retiring is a bit different, but now for the second year in a row he’s a heartbeat away from being a team’s starting QB. Maybe there’s a reason for that: the kid can play.

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, Four2itus said:

Shhhhhhh.........some fans are determined to get him replaced with Kelly as soon as possible. 

you say that like its a bad thing.  CK could definitely be the better QB, we have to try him to know for sure

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Because it’s a ridiculous take.

how is that?  because you are a brisset homer now?

have you even watched kelly at all?  he was better than JB in college, he is more athletic and makes faster reads 

its not ridiculous at all to say he might be better

• Like 1