Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chad Kelly hype

NannyMcafee

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

how is that?  because you are a brisset homer now?

have you even watched kelly at all?  he was better than JB in college, he is more athletic and makes faster reads 

its not ridiculous at all to say he might be better

You realize there is more to it then talent. Kelly doesn’t have the locker room like JB does. Ebron was basically making fun of someone who tweeted he dropped a pass by Kelly,  you have to earn the trust of the other players. Kelly has showed nothing so far about being a leader. Could that come in a couple of years. Sure. But hasn’t earned the keys to the car. JB deserves every chance to see what he can do.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You realize there is more to it then talent. Kelly doesn’t have the locker room like JB does. Ebron was basically making fun of someone who tweeted he dropped a pass by Kelly,  you have to earn the trust of the other players. Kelly has showed nothing so far about being a leader. Could that come in a couple of years. Sure. But hasn’t earned the keys to the car. JB deserves every chance to see what he can do.

Kelly can lead a team, he was actually very good at this at mississippi.  he lead a bad team to wins over alabama

he just needs to stay out of trouble.  as for JB, he is getting his chance, i just dont think we owe him that much time there either if he isnt getting it done.  ftr i do think kelly is more talented, and yes that is important 

I thought Elway was a fool to cut Kelly. Mr. Irrelevant won the backup position out of camp, and would likely had replaced Keenum halfway through Denvers 2018 season.  Reich doing Jim Kelly (ex-teamate) a favor by bringing Chad in with the Colts may be an absolute steal.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Would you be upset if Hoyer was signed and Milligan got cut, instead? Kelly has a lot of potential - both good and bad.

They may carry 3 qbs.  If there were ever a situation that calls for it.  This is it.    I can't believe they have waited this long to make a move.   But no,   I wouldn't be upset.   I trust Chris Ballard to do his job

7 hours ago, BrickHead said:

I thought Elway was a fool to cut Kelly. Mr. Irrelevant won the backup position out of camp, and would likely had replaced Keenum halfway through Denvers 2018 season.  Reich doing Jim Kelly (ex-teamate) a favor by bringing Chad in with the Colts may be an absolute steal.

The was legal that caused the cut

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

seems like some people will never get over his past.  if that was a problem for the team he wouldnt be here now

we dont really have time to give him a few years to see if hes turned around either.  hes in or out week 3 

His past is his fault,  and his fault alone.   I think the kid is talented,   but only the front office knows if he is worth keeping around.   I'm guessing Frank's presence helps,  but I have no idea.   You don't want the face of the franchise getting doped up on ambien and strolling into people's homes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

seems like some people will never get over his past.  if that was a problem for the team he wouldnt be here now

we dont really have time to give him a few years to see if hes turned around either.  hes in or out week 3 

We have plenty of time. I'm not saying draw it out over a year, but to say in our out by week 3 is a bit silly.

I wasn't a fan of bringing him on in the first place, but per Reich he's been a model citizen, and Ballard has be complimentary as well. If he keeps his nose clean for a year, the trust will grow. I'm cheering for the kid.

He's an ERFA at the end of the year, so we're sitting in a good place if things do go well.

PS... I'm over his past. If he screws up again, he's gone. I'd like to think his uncle asked Reich for a favor, and both are keeping close tabs on CK. Likely his last chance if he screws up again, so perhaps things will click.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

His past is his fault,  and his fault alone.   I think the kid is talented,   but only the front office knows if he is worth keeping around.   I'm guessing Frank's presence helps,  but I have no idea.   You don't want the face of the franchise getting doped up on ambien and strolling into people's homes. 

sorry man, that last sentence just gave me a chuckle. no offense meant.

Just now, EastStreet said:

We have plenty of time. I'm not saying draw it out over a year, but to say in our out by week 3 is a bit silly.

I wasn't a fan of bringing him on in the first place, but per Reich he's been a model citizen, and Ballard has be complimentary as well. If he keeps his nose clean for a year, the trust will grow. I'm cheering for the kid.

He's an ERFA at the end of the year, so we're sitting in a good place if things do go well.

PS... I'm over his past. If he screws up again, he's gone. I'd like to think his uncle asked Reich for a favor, and both are keeping close tabs on CK. Likely his last chance if he screws up again, so perhaps things will click.

hes either on the roster or hes not by week 3 though. i have to assume hes gone if they put him on the practice squad. there are teams out there that dont gaf about prior issues if they think it will help win now 

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

hes either on the roster or hes not by week 3 though. i have to assume hes gone if they put him on the practice squad. there are teams out there that dont gaf about prior issues if they think it will help win now 

I'd bet a decent amount of money that he will be on the roster week 3 and the rest of the year so long as he doesn't screw up. And I don't see them rolling the dice trying to put him on the practice squad. Almost half the teams have 3 (or more) QBs on their roster. It's not that big of a deal, especially a roster that is pretty well rounded.

Given Reich's relationship with Jim Kelly, they wouldn't wait till week 3 to release him.

Reich would probably go out of his way to give him time (like Farley) to find a landing spot.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

sorry man, that last sentence just gave me a chuckle. no offense meant.

It's true though.  He had no booze in his system.   Unfortunately I know what ambien eyes look like.   Im rooting for the kid,   but it's easy to understand why a team won't give him millions

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is one reason I used Every and not the word seasoned

A lifetime backup is going to give a young qb very little knowledge.     Of course a team is going to have a guy on the roster that has a few years in the league.   They surely aren't going to load up on rookie qbs.  Except for the Redskins in 2011

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

A lifetime backup is going to give a young qb very little knowledge.     Of course a team is going to have a guy on the roster that has a few years in the league.   They surely aren't going to load up on rookie qbs.  Except for the Redskins in 2011

He will in game prep and other off the field stuff but not necessarily actual game play

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

That's every single backup qb in the history of the league

Not if they have no clue what is going on(Rookie) 

When I say off the field things I am talking about where to eat/ what to eat, who to be friends with things like that but also how to prepare for a game, read scouting reports, watch game film 

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not if they have no clue what is going on(Rookie) 

When I say off the field things I am talking about where to eat/ what to eat, who to be friends with things like that but also how to prepare for a game, read scouting reports, watch game film 

Again,   that's every rookie that's ever played.  I'm not sure what your point is

I'm totally in the Kelly camp, but Jacoby has earned his right to lead this team.  I think I posted earlier on this in another thread about the first 2 games.  I'm thinking now the window will be 5 games.  If we are 2 and 3 after the first 5 games, Jacoby will be our starter this year.  One and four, we trot out Chad and give him his shot. 

6 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

I'm totally in the Kelly camp, but Jacoby has earned his right to lead this team.  I think I posted earlier on this in another thread about the first 2 games.  I'm thinking now the window will be 5 games.  If we are 2 and 3 after the first 5 games, Jacoby will be our starter this year.  One and four, we trot out Chad and give him his shot. 

Record probably won’t matter but completion % will be the key

I don't understand the discussion about being released on week 3. If the Colts thought he wasn't good enough for the 53 man roster they would have cut him already and moved on. He is definitely going to be on the 53 man roster come week 3. I would think come week 3 the veteran we sign will be  released. Brissett and Kelly will be the qbs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I don't understand the discussion about being released on week 3. If the Colts thought he wasn't good enough for the 53 man roster they would have cut him already and moved on. He is definitely going to be on the 53 man roster come week 3. I would think come week 3 the veteran we sign will be  released. Brissett and Kelly will be the qbs.

There is still the PS option. We won’t cut the veteran in week 3. I would be shocked. If it’s hoyer he would not of signed here. Whether we carry 3 QB will depend on injuries.

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Record probably won’t matter but completion % will be the key

That doesn't bode well for Brissett; historically he hasn't had a good completion percentage, even in college.  He has a beautiful long ball, but those aren't high percentage throws.

I think it will be a combination of everything.  Frank knows how the offense should be run and if the QB is missing the opportunities that present themselves.  

On 8/30/2019 at 10:22 AM, bhougland said:

I understand the argument that Chad has only played with the 2&3's in preseason so it is unfair to compare him to Jacoby who has played vs starters.  If that is the case, then Jacoby should have PlayStation numbers when he plays in preseason, right?  Well, this year he didn't play much, so lets compare Jacoby to Chad Kelly last year.  Here is a link that shows preseason stats:

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=300&category=passing&sort=5

Chad Kelly is 7th right behind Baker Mayfield and Jacoby is 21st, but chad only had 5 more attempts.

I am not sure I am buying that argument anymore.

Sorry, that stat sheet has no relevance.  To wit, the 2 guys just below JB on it-

GP      Comp    Att      %       Yds    Avg       Y/gm   TD    Int      QBR
#22 Winston, Jameis
3             30     41    73.2%      388     9.5     129.3      3     0     126.9
#23 Mahomes II, Patrick
3             31     43     72.1%     367     8.5     122.3      2     1     103.5

22 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Does anyone wonder what Chad's uncle Jim told his former teammate (coach Reich) about his nephew before the Colts signed him this year? I do, that was probably a pretty good conversation.

“Yeah, we always go in with four (quarterbacks) and as we sat down and talked about who the four would be, Chad’s (Kelly) name came up. We obviously did a lot of research, we did a lot of vetting there. Chad has a lot of good tape out there,” Reich said. “Each one of these deals are a case-by-case basis. Whenever you take a person in Chad’s situation it’s a case-by-case basis. I felt like from the tape that we saw, what the scouts thought (and) what we saw looking at the tape, the vetting that we did, the people we talked to – it just felt like we would give Chad a chance here to come in and compete as the fourth guy coming in and felt comfortable at that point with it.”

“So I know that Jim has been mentoring Chad in a lot of ways and talking to him over the last year about being a pro and so on and so forth. So that played into it a little bit.”

The Colts have a plan in place to keep Kelly out of trouble, but he will be on a short leash. Making the most of this second chance is something Indy is expecting from Kelly.

“Chad knows he has to prove it. He knows he is getting a second chance,” Reich said. He knows he is getting a second chance, but he did come in here in rookie mini-camp and looked good so we are comfortable with it at this point.”

If they cut Kelly, I would be HUGELY surprised

They brought him in for a reason

I have no idea how he is doing behind the scenes .......  On the field, he has proven that he has talent.

The reports are he is keeping his nose clean........

Going with 3 QBs, seems like a luxury though

PS, would be short if we put him there.....

EDIT:

Part of me wonders if there is a team that is dangling a decent pick for Kelly, and Hoyer is ths stopgap for JB........

A 3rd or 4th round pick might entice a team (after the excellent preseason)

I HIGHLY doubt this, but it doesnt make sense to have 3 QBs.....

I was expecting Walker to be the backup for 2 games....

SOMETHING seems to be up......

#22 Winston, Jameis
3             30     41    73.2%      388     9.5     129.3      3     0     126.9
#23 Mahomes II, Patrick
3             31     43     72.1%     367     8.5     122.3      2     1     103.5

Psst.  Looks at the number of attempts.  Chad's and Jacoby's are pretty close, but Winston and Mohomes are significantly less.  

Also, I was only stating that Jacoby wasn't really blowing away Chad's numbers, they are actually pretty close.