Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riding the Brissett Train

Scott Pennock

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not even going to try to talk you off the ledge this time.  You have your right to be skeptical on where things are headed.  

it's a win win to me lol if we suck maybe we can get a great LT in 2020 to pair up with Big Q for the future if we are good then that is obviously a good thing. I'm still bummed cause I was so excited for this season and thought we had a shot at a SB and this is one big punch in the gut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I'm not buying the JB hype like everyone else. you're gonna tell me he has went from not worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick this offseason to all the sudden being the savior and future of our franchise?? yeah no not buying it.

Me too.

They are all really trying to sell us on Brissett, the mediocre game manager.

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

it's a win win to me lol if we suck maybe we can get a great LT in 2020 to pair up with Big Q for the future if we are good then that is obviously a good thing. I'm still bummed cause I was so excited for this season and thought we had a shot at a SB and this is one big punch in the gut.

We do need to address the line a bit more and actually this season if we can.  That boy Clark just kept getting smoked in that Bears game.  Jackson Barton doesn't look like much of nothing either, although I thought the same thing about Braden Smith last year when we had him playing tackle in the preseason.  The depth behind our starters isn't all that great. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

We do need to address the line a bit more and actually this season if we can.  That boy Clark just kept getting smoked in that Bears game.  Jackson Barton doesn't look like much of nothing either, although I thought the same thing about Braden Smith last year when we had him playing tackle in the preseason.  The depth behind our starters isn't all that great. 

my fear is getting stuck in the middle of the pack every year. not bad enough to get premium talent in the draft and not good enough to win in the playoffs consistently and fight for a SB. its one of the worst places to be in pro sports imo. I know cause I'm a pacers fan lol

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

my fear is getting stuck in the middle of the pack every year. not bad enough to get premium talent in the draft and not good enough to win in the playoffs consistently and fight for a SB. its one of the worst places to be in pro sports imo. I know cause I'm a pacers fan lol

Ballard is smart enough to not let that happen if JB isn’t that guy. The guy knows how to accumulate picks and we will have capital to move up. 

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I sort of trust Ballards ability to wheel and deal.  I think he'd still have us in a good place personnel wise. I also trust Reichs eye when it comes to QBs.  I don't think it'll take us long to find our groove. I'm not that afraid of us falling backwards .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are they gonna win the Superbowl?  No.  But then there was no guarantee of that with Luck anyway.  Brissett managed to guide them to 4 wins despite arriving to town just before the season started, Pagano as HC, and no OL in front of him.  I figure each of those details is worth another win.  I'll say 7-9 seems feasible.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I sort of trust Ballards ability to wheel and deal.  I think he'd still have us in a good place personnel wise. I also trust Reichs eye when it comes to QBs.  I don't think it'll take us long to find our groove. I'm not that afraid of us falling backwards .

hope your right I dont want the colts being just like the Pacers I couldn't take it lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tminus6453 said:

Of course we have to ride the Brissett train, Not like we have much of a choice at this point

Don’t have a choice weeks 1-2, but come week 3 I’d like to give a shot to the dude who had a higher college QBR than Baker Mayfield, Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson, Dak Prescott, Lamar Jackson and Jared Goff. Gimme Swag.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Agree, there is a little bit of truth in that. How the loss happened over the course of a game also needs to be assessed, like if the QB turned it over at inopportune times or if the defense could not hold on to a lead etc.

We will get to see how well Reich molds backup QBs into starters this year. I trust he is the right guy for this job, will have to wait and see. 

I agree coaching played a big part of the 11 loses the year Brissett stepped in, when you lead at half in 9 of 11 games and play calling never changes then it makes it hard to hang on, when every team makes adjustments at half. I think Brissett will surprise alot of people this year 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

One thing for sure this is going to show if the team Ballard has built is as strong as we think. Luck can make any team look good. If this team has holes anywhere they will be exposed.

I think our roster is right around the top 10-15.

Seems like a lot of people have stated we have a top 5 roster but I wouldn't quite put us there yet. I do think the potential is through the roof, but I also think we have some young guys who have to prove themselves before we can put them that high. Namely the young guys on defense (particularly on the DL).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Hilton said:

No, aren't you allowed an opinion on here? Just because you're a senior member doesn't me your $hit doesn't stink or your opinion is so high and mighty. I've been a Colts fan for 57 years and I'll say what I want to say thank you!

Of course your opinion is allowed here. Never thought any different. 

Being a senior member means nothing to me, my opinion is not high...nor mighty...and yes, my % does stink. Glad you have been a fan for 57 years. Hope to see you more than every four years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This got me fired up.

Only thing I kind of did a double take at was when they were looking at the schedule and said "they could start 3-1"

I mean, sure it's possible, but honestly I think it's way more likely we start out at 1-3 than 3-1. Even 1-4 if you look at the Chiefs game.

• Like 1

Shock is over. This sucks but here we go.

imo JB was never brought in to take over the franchise. He was brought in to game

manage in the event Luck was injured. Hence the reason for the extension and

not a full blown guaranteed multi year contract. He game managed his way to 4 wins

in 2017.  Watching his recent performances, I see the same JB.   I hope he does

better this year but to me the better question is how long Ballard goes before

he makes a change. What sucks in the whole deal is we no longer have value in  

potential trade involving him. His value right now is potentially higher than

if he even manages a 8-8 season with the weapons and defense we have. A smart

business man would like to get something in return for his two top QB's because

as it looks now, he will get zilch return unless JB lights it ups this year. 

We are pretty much screwed one way or the other because JB is not going to be

the long term answer.  It wont happen but they should start Kelly and trade JB

for depth at the o line.  You could also kick the tires on a vet but your in the same 

boat than with JB. They wont be the long term answer either.

Kelly looked down right capable as a started in this league with a ceiling that

resembles a Mariotta or better.  He is more like Luck in that he takes those chances

and threads the needle to the max. However I would rather watch that feast or famine

approach then another year of game management and enough wins to be a complete

waste of time.  Im still watching because I would love Brissett to prove everyone 

wrong including myself but Im  not just looking at this season. Ballard needs to 

put sentimentality aside and do whats best for the shoe.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I saw a clip of Reich's press conference today talking about Brissett. Reich seemed like a completely different person today. So upbeat and excited. Maybe the Luck ordeal these past 3-4 weeks was really getting to be a heavy burden to carry.

I thibk you could sense the players are relieved also. They seem excited to start with Brissett. It actually takes the cloud of uncertainty off now and they can get fully behind JB.

8 minutes ago, Blindside said:

Shock is over. This sucks but here we go.

imo JB was never brought in to take over the franchise. He was brought in to game

manage in the event Luck was injured. Hence the reason for the extension and

not a full blown guaranteed multi year contract. He game managed his way to 4 wins

in 2017.  Watching his recent performances, I see the same JB.   I hope he does

better this year but to me the better question is how long Ballard goes before

he makes a change. What sucks in the whole deal is we no longer have value in  

potential trade involving him. His value right now is potentially higher than

if he even manages a 8-8 season with the weapons and defense we have. A smart

business man would like to get something in return for his two top QB's because

as it looks now, he will get zilch return unless JB lights it ups this year. 

We are pretty much screwed one way or the other because JB is not going to be

the long term answer.  It wont happen but they should start Kelly and trade JB

for depth at the o line.  You could also kick the tires on a vet but your in the same 

boat than with JB. They wont be the long term answer either.

Kelly looked down right capable as a started in this league with a ceiling that

resembles a Mariotta or better.  He is more like Luck in that he takes those chances

and threads the needle to the max. However I would rather watch that feast or famine

approach then another year of game management and enough wins to be a complete

waste of time.  Im still watching because I would love Brissett to prove everyone 

wrong including myself but Im  not just looking at this season. Ballard needs to 

put sentimentality aside and do whats best for the shoe.

If JB gets a extension it will probably be starter money. But it most likely will only be something like 2 years so they are not stuck if it doesn’t work out. I think it is important to show the players the organization is behind him.

36 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I just realized 3 patriots draft picks will be starting qbs this year.   That’s crazy. 

Which is why every team should draft their backup QB. You keep them a few years then trade them or let them go for a comp pick. Drafting a QB in the second or third round is going to give you a better backup in most cases.  Then when they are ready to start you move on and draft another. I bet we will see this with Ballard I need the coming years.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If JB gets a extension it will probably be starter money. But it most likely will only be something like 2 years so they are not stuck if it doesn’t work out. I think it is important to show the fans the organization is behind him.

They are in panic mode right now, dont anyone kid themselves.  They absolutely

need to show unity right now because its a business first and the cost of losing a fan

base even for 2 years would be devastating to this organization. Ballard also knows 

all the good Karma he has had can turn instantly against him with 1 wrong move here.

I dont mean to sound harsh but what just happened is unprecedented. 

12 hours ago, chad72 said:

Absolutely!!! Just not sure the schedule is as friendly this year to get more than an 8-8 season out of these Colts. Brissett's ceiling is the questionable part. I love the floor he brings and the respect he has of his teammates but ultimately, his ceiling will be the difference between an 8-8 and 10-6 season, IMO.

In the NFL, winning or losing a few close games can make or break you, so we have to come out of the gates with a .500 record in the first 4 games at least, IMO, to stand a chance for the playoffs.

Our schedule  isn't  all that tough. I see two elite teams on our schedule.  The chiefs and the saints. Chargers are a good team, not scared of Matt the choke Ryan. We can take the Panthers, broncos,atleast one  texans game, atleast one jags game. Last year we faced the super bowl champs and the Patriots with boat loads of injuries  and a limited  Luck the first few games as he didn't  go d ok wn the field as much early in the season. Brissett 's arm will stretch  the field and he will rain tds in buckets

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Seems like fans are the only ones freaking out.  Chris carter thought JB was going to be the one to replace Brady. He has been watching JB for a long time.

Not me. I rewatched the film and it was amazing  how Brissett  only was sacked 52 times in 2017 as he sided stepped, rolled out of the way of numerous  more. With time and all these weapons  he will prosper or he will be replaced by kelly. Even Curtis painter could win a game with our current  team.

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Our schedule  isn't  all that tough. I see two elite teams on our schedule.  The chiefs and the saints. Chargers are a good team, not scared of Matt the choke Ryan. We can take the Panthers, broncos,atleast one  texans game, atleast one jags game. Last year we faced the super bowl champs and the Patriots with boat loads of injuries  and a limited  Luck the first few games as he didn't  go d ok wn the field as much early in the season. Brissett 's arm will stretch  the field and he will rain tds in buckets

we're have the 7th toughest schedule simply from last years records are concerned. and we play a ton of great QBs this year. and we play most of the best teams on the road.

it is tough. 

Just now, Irish YJ said:

we're have the 7th toughest schedule simply from last years records are concerned. and we play a ton of great QBs this year. and we play most of the best teams on the road.

it is tough. 

The schedule  won't  end up that tough. Most of the teams on our schedule  have looked like garbage  so far this year besides the saints and chiefs. Even the chiefs starters were sloppy  in preseason. I think we take the division  until proven otherwise. 

Just now, Stephen said:

The schedule  won't  end up that tough. Most of the teams on our schedule  have looked like garbage  so far this year besides the saints and chiefs. Even the chiefs starters were sloppy  in preseason. I think we take the division  until proven otherwise. 

it's preseason. you don't grade on preseason. even our FO said it's more about evaluation than winning. heck, we haven't looked good during the preseason. we're winless and our starters have only played 2 times, and even those times were very limited. our starters have yet to score... the only 1Q scores during the preseason were from Kelly and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string guys.

13 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

it's preseason. you don't grade on preseason. even our FO said it's more about evaluation than winning. heck, we haven't looked good during the preseason. we're winless and our starters have only played 2 times, and even those times were very limited. our starters have yet to score... the only 1Q scores during the preseason were from Kelly and a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string guys.

Ebron scored against the Browns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

In the NFL it’s a lot easier to get out of that than the NBA between free agency and being able to move up in the draft.  I agree it’s easy to get stuck in NBA purgatory and it’s near impossible to get out of.  Lucky for us it’s not that way in the NFL.

16 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

There was an alarming stat published yesterday or today that between 2012 and 2017 Colts Quarterbacks were pressured/hurried/sacked a WHOPPING 40% of all drop backs.....Brissett himself was sackef 52 times in 2017. 52 times......

In 2017 Brissett led an offense that most of us called a PeeWee League offense for dummies. Run right. Run left. 3rd ond 7 go for a pass. Like clockwork.

Fast forward to now. One of the best offensive lines in the league is in front of him. He has weapons all around him in Mack, Hines, T.Y., Ebron, Doyle, Funchess, Campbell and now Cain. 

We have an up and coming defense that plays hard through the whistle and creates turnovers.

Brissett put up 3,098 (in 15 games basically) yards, 13 TD's against only 7 INT's, and a 58.8 completion percentage in an inept offensive scheme.

I envision a 30 TD season with 4000 yards out of him and we hold our own to the tune of 9-7 or 10-6 still.

Call me crazy or overly optimistic but if he could perform like that with zero knowledge upon arrival in a crappy system he can perform well in a good system with good coaches and talent around him!

Yes, but there's much more pressure this time can he handle that will see.