Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Riding the Brissett Train

Scott Pennock

Absolutely!!! Just not sure the schedule is as friendly this year to get more than an 8-8 season out of these Colts. Brissett's ceiling is the questionable part. I love the floor he brings and the respect he has of his teammates but ultimately, his ceiling will be the difference between an 8-8 and 10-6 season, IMO.

In the NFL, winning or losing a few close games can make or break you, so we have to come out of the gates with a .500 record in the first 4 games at least, IMO, to stand a chance for the playoffs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Absolutely!!! Just not sure the schedule is as friendly this year to get more than an 8-8 season out of these Colts. Brissett's ceiling is the questionable part. I love the floor he brings and the respect he has of his teammates but ultimately, his ceiling will be the difference between an 8-8 and 10-6 season, IMO.

In the NFL, winning or losing a few close games can make or break you, so we have to come out of the gates with a .500 record in the first 4 games at least, IMO, to stand a chance for the playoffs.

That is a fair assessment! 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 would be a good building block to the future (based on strength of schedule)! You know, morale victories and all. Plus these young guys are not just hungry, they're probably HANGRY right now! Ha!

Plus I've heard that Ballard (personally) was scouting a mid first round talent QB last year in Jordan Love from Utah State. So 8-10 wins puts us in the right spot to draft a guy like that without using the rest of our draft capital to move up.....

No more watching Andrew getting balls knocked back in his face. Yeah!
 Now i am glad he got to spend at least one season with some time to throw.

Of course it is funny how much quicker we finally got to see him get rid of the ball.
 No more holding it for so many of his beloved deep throws.
  Brissett is a solid replacement for Frank's O. 
 My Fandom for :colts:  football hasn't changed a blip. Go Colts!
 And some are :funny:   at those Blue Glasses-Red Faced how tough Luck is fans. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

I think this falls on your HC.   Close losses USUALLY can be seen be the cause of a bad call or two. For example Pats losing to Miami last year was because of the stupid decision they made on a punt return..

6 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

I think this falls on your HC.   Close losses USUALLY can be seen be the cause of a bad call or two. For example Pats losing to Miami last year was because of the stupid decision they made on a punt return..

Agree, there is a little bit of truth in that. How the loss happened over the course of a game also needs to be assessed, like if the QB turned it over at inopportune times or if the defense could not hold on to a lead etc.

We will get to see how well Reich molds backup QBs into starters this year. I trust he is the right guy for this job, will have to wait and see. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I envision a 30 TD season with 4000 yards out of him and we hold our own to the tune of 9-7 or 10-6 still.

I don't believe he will be able to achieve this as well as get a 9-7 or 10-6 record, I feel as though at tops we are 8-8 and floor is 5-11. My prediction would be 7-9 considering our division is very tough. I just don't think Brissett will ever put up these numbers in his career or even be a franchise QB. 

• Like 1

To the OP, I am first, and foremost, a COLTS fan, so heck yeah, I'm on this Brissett train!!  I support him 1000% and I hope colts nation will rally around him; I hope he proves he's a starter in the league, right here with the Colts.  1st business at hand, win the division!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

That is a fair assessment! 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 would be a good building block to the future (based on strength of schedule)! You know, morale victories and all. Plus these young guys are not just hungry, they're probably HANGRY right now! Ha!

Plus I've heard that Ballard (personally) was scouting a mid first round talent QB last year in Jordan Love from Utah State. So 8-10 wins puts us in the right spot to draft a guy like that without using the rest of our draft capital to move up.....

This could even give us a good backup if Brissett turns out to be the next guy. Colin cowherd mentoned every team should draft a backup like this. NE does this all the time then ships them out for a conp pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, if he can keep his head on straight and put in the work, and it seems he has been doing both... Chad Kelly has a TON of potential and talent... has a great arm, quick release and lives/breathes football.

With his rocky past, he is not someone you just bring in for a back up position, it wouldn't be worth the possible distraction (especially knowing that he is out for the first 2 weeks).

I honestly think that Kelly could be a franchise QB in this league, especially with the right coaches and team around him.  He has a lot of Brett Favre in him, from what i've seen and has a WAY higher ceiling than Jacoby has.

Maybe i'm wrong, and Jacoby does a great job...but he has a high floor and low ceiling...meaning he would never be a top QB but a great back up.  Just my opinion... but if we get off to a rocky start (and we very well could), i hope that they give Kelly a shot to show what he can do with our starters out there in front of him!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tminus6453 said:

Of course we have to ride the Brissett train, Not like we have much of a choice at this point

I am NOT on the Brissett train.

I bought NFL Sunday Ticket and will watch my Colts play and our young guys develop this year, but I don't care for Brissett. I think Brissett is an unimaginative, non-innovative game manager who is only able to run some set plays.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

I bought NFL Sunday Ticket and will watch my Colts play and our young guys develop this year, but I don't care for Brissett. I think Brissett is an unimaginative, non-innovative game manager who is only able to run some set plays.

Unimaginative?  What's he supposed to be doing outside of his job?  I don't think he's supposed to be thinking of new and creative ways to wine and dine you.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

No more watching Andrew getting balls knocked back in his face. Yeah!

I have never seen an NFL QB throw as many passes directly into a dinner plate-sized hand  that is only 5 ft in front of his face as often as Andrew Luck.

Brissett's a big, strong, smart QB who can lead the team from the front, take a pounding and make some good throws.  it's very possible to string that together into a successful season.  He's got the tools, the only question is, can he put it together, and can he get the rest of the roster to elevate their games and do more than go through the motions.

I will be rooting for him and I think the team is stronger than it was in 2017. But having watched the entire 2017 season (like most here)...Brissett has some flaws as a QB...that make his fit in this offense a dubious proposition. 

It's great to hear he has been working with House. I will be most interested in seeing if he has improved/developed touch on his passes and a quicker delivery. That will be crucial.

8 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I will be rooting for him and I think the team is stronger than it was in 2017. But having watched the entire 2017 season (like most here)...Brissett has some flaws as a QB...that make his fit in this offense a dubious proposition. 

It's great to hear he has been working with House. I will be most interested in seeing if he has improved/developed touch on his passes and a quicker delivery. That will be crucial.

If this were the same Chud ran offense, I would agree. I believe Reich's offense will benefit Jacoby much more and also won't get him hit 100+ times throughout the season. Another reason I'm optimistic is the playmakers he has now is light years beyond what he got to play with in 17', not to mention the huge difference in the OL. He may take a couple games to really settle in, but I still believe he's going to be much better, as well as the team, than people think. 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Agree, there is a little bit of truth in that. How the loss happened over the course of a game also needs to be assessed, like if the QB turned it over at inopportune times or if the defense could not hold on to a lead etc.

We will get to see how well Reich molds backup QBs into starters this year. I trust he is the right guy for this job, will have to wait and see. 

JBs late turnovers were killer on more than one occasion.

I am 100% onboard the JB train! I am with you Scott, I think we will somewhere between 8-8 and 10-6. I was mocked on here a couple weeks ago when I hypothetically asked this question, but now it’s real, and I’m still excited for this football team

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If this were the same Chud ran offense, I would agree. I believe Reich's offense will benefit Jacoby much more and also won't get him hit 100+ times throughout the season. Another reason I'm optimistic is the playmakers he has now is light years beyond what he got to play with in 17', not to mention the huge difference in the OL. He may take a couple games to really settle in, but I still believe he's going to be much better, as well as the team, than people think. 

If you look at that last preseason game when JB was with New England he seemed to do pretty well good offensive design like Mcdaniels had.  Where the routes are properly designed and he can easily find his hot routes.  Reich offense has a lot of the similar type concepts that take heat off the QB. I think he'll look much better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

I agree he is one dimensional and plays scared. He doesn't have that it factor. Ive liked what Ive seen from Kelly. I trully believe he will be our starter at aome point this year. I think Brissett is all brains and no balls and will have mental hiccups when the pressure rises. I feel like Kelly has more to learn, but plays fearless and has that shake it off and go with the flow gunslinger style.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

If you look at that last preseason game when JB was with New England he seemed to do pretty well good offensive design like Mcdaniels had.  Where the routes are properly designed and he can easily find his hot routes.  Reich offense has a lot of the similar type concepts that take heat off the QB. I think he'll look much better. 

There are going to be a lot of "hands" out on the field he can trust to get the ball to. No nonsense, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacoby go for 4k+ yards and 35+ TD's with this offense. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

There are going to be a lot of "hands" out on the field he can trust to get the ball to. No nonsense, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Jacoby go for 4k+ yards and 35+ TD's with this offense. 

He's got the tools. I'm still concerned about him picking up the blitzes but he looked much better at it against the Browns so I'm a little more optimistic. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, krunk said:

He's got the tools. I'm still concerned about him picking up the blitzes but he looked much better at it against the Browns so I'm a little more optimistic. 

About the blitzes I think once the regular season starts and your actually scheming for a team that should get better. We can also send extra players to help pick them up.

I won’t lie it might take a couple games to get rolling and figure things out but I think eventually they will.

46 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Briskett has the deep ball arm.......

But the intermediate touch passes, were part of his problem in 2017

Hopefully he has picked that part up